AdLib On February - 22 - 2012

After a month of regenerating sanity from a hiatus in the GOP debate schedule, tonight we live blog a new and what may prove to be a very pivotal debate.

When we last left our candidates in a debate, Newt Gingrich was losing his mojo and Mitt Romney had awkwardly adopted an attack persona (like a Barbie doll, you can change his philosophical clothes at any time into whatever you want!).

Now, the Rick Santorum, “Onward Christian Soldiers” campaign has taken over the lead and Mitt Romney is on the verge of losing his home state of MI and any further claim to inevitability, let alone the nomination.

If Santorum comes out aggressively against Romney, will Romney stutter and chuckle/laugh his way out of danger or will he accelerate his descent in the polls?

In this reality-challenged GOP campaign season, Santorum, who espouses that Satan is attacking America, could take a huge step towards winning the GOP nomination for President if he can beat or come close to Romney in Michigan, generating momentum just a week before Super Tuesday.

You’re invited to join us tonight at 5:00 pm PST/8:00 pm EST for a live blog of this debate. You can watch it on CNN or on their website at http://www.cnn.com.

In the meantime, please feel free to post your thoughts, comments or updates about the GOP primary and this circus sideshow of candidates.

1. Sounds like the Paul and Romney bromance continued last night. Riiiight remember Paul is suppose to be the only GOP candidate with integrity and conviction. Yet he continues to enable the phoniest politician on the planet. I have allot of things against Paul’s politics but his efforts to help Romney show the worst of the worst, he’s just a pol who doesn’t give a shyte about his own supporters who would be the last people to vote for the sham that is Romney. To attack every candidate but Romney from the right is true political cowardliness.

2. escribacat says:

Did Obama win the debate again? My power went out again and stayed out for the rest of the evening (because of wind). Crazy weather here in Colorado.

Sorry about that Escrib, wondered what happened to you!

Yep, Obama was once again a big winner, Romney once again was a big liar. Looking forward to the GE debates and Obama slicing Mitt and his lies up into coleslaw.

3. funksands says:

Anyone have any good data on how the “right direction / wrong direction” numbers play our in Congressional / Presidential elections?

The last 4 polls in Feb show:

Right Direction: 34% Wrong Direction: 60%

However in November it averaged:

Right Direction: 17% Wrong Direction: 75%

Has this poll ever meant anything?

Funk -- It does matter in certain ways. When it was low and static or declining, so were Obama’s polling numbers.

Now that the numbers are rising, so are Obama’s numbers.

They do seem to directly reflect the public’s feeling about incumbents, especially the President.

The trend is probably most important, even though the numbers are low, if they are on the upswing, it’s good for Obama.

In the end, it is only one factor though in how people vote. They also have to look at both candidates and compare them, even if they’re not happy with the course of the country, they also have to decide who they think is fit or best to be President.

For that reason, I’d suggest that as long as those numbers aren’t declining drastically, Obama still has an advantage at the polls because he will be running against a weasel.

4. SallyT says:

Here is another source for facts on the debates mistakes. A couple are repeats of KQ’s list but there are also some new ones. Like:

“And how could Newt Gingrich have given the nation four balanced budgets when he was only in Congress for two of them?”

A little OT but talking about Repub candidates failing and failing:

Hewlett-Packard Co’s earnings fell nearly 44 percent and the world’s No. 1 computer maker forecast a second-quarter profit below Wall Street estimates as it struggles with weak sales of PCs and printers.

Chief Executive Meg Whitman, a veteran Silicon Valley executive who took the top job last September after the firing of Leo Apotheker, has been trying to turn around HP’s sprawling businesses. On Wednesday, she pleaded for a little patience.

• SallyT says:

Gee, AdLib, could any of the decline be because people don’t have money to spend on new computers and printers and are making do with the old longer now? I know there is a lot more to do with it than just that but just had to make a comment. 😉

• foodchain says:

No surprises here: destroy eBay,spend $$$ on failed Ca race, help HP fail. Why is it that the GOP feels they understand business?

From our news widget:

Amid a public uproar that prompted Virginia’s governor to withdraw his support, Republican legislators on Wednesday dropped a bitterly contested proposal to require that women seeking abortions undergo invasive ultrasound imaging, likely dooming the bill.

• choicelady says:

See??? Message to progressives -- you stand your ground and keep talking, they get the message. Sitting in your armchair whining gets you, well, whining companions, period.

Fantastic outcome! All the slimy, smarmy old geezers who dreamed this bill up and were getting their jollies off thinking about this now have to crawl back under their rocks where creepy things go to live.

Daily Show is very funny tonight, montage of the Repub candidates claiming Obama’s re-election will destroy America and ending with a clip from the beginning of Terminator 2 where Sarah is in a mental hospital raving that everyone is going to die. Very funny stuff, hope to remember to post the clip here tomorrow when it becomes available.

8. Seven lies told during the GOP debate in AZ. Of course Mittens led the way with four of them.

Latest GFK Poll:

Obama: 51%
    Romney: 43%

Obama: 52%
    Santorum: 43%

Obama: 53%
    Paul: 44%

• foodchain says:

And when Obama. P ushers back his success against the GOP increases; go figure!

Not really a mystery. Just glad that Obama has fully adopted the confrontational tone. That bipartisan stuff in the face of Repub absolutism and extremism was really discouraging the base.

Now, all seems forgiven and the emoprogs seem to have been de-clawed and irrelevant.

• foodchain says:

:-). And thisnisnthe beginning of the end of the GOP

• foodchain says:

I hate my iPad; worst typing ever

• SallyT says:

FC, I understood. I fell last night and among other things, I think I broke my little finger on my right hand. (Well, not broke but its twice as big tonight.) And, you can’t imagine how much you use it in typing until its hurt! I have had to backspace alot tonight.

Sorry about that Sally, take care of that pinky. At least you didn’t sprain your middle finger while reacting to the debate.

• SallyT says:

No, AdLib, I protect that finger. I can’t speak politically without it! :)

• foodchain says:

Sally , while I enjoyed jamming my finger over Cheney, I am sorry that you are hurt. little fingers make your hand much weaker than one would imagine

• choicelady says:

Oh gosh, Sally -- that’s awful! The pain I mean, not the typing. Hope it gets better and stronger and less painful FAST!!!

It is amazing how much you use it when you think it’s just kind of hanging around looking cute and doing no work. Turns out it pulls its fair share! So heal quickly! So sorry that happened to you!

Now -- how’s the REST of you? Falls are nothing to laugh at. Remember kes’ fall on the ice? Take care of the whole of you, please?

• SallyT says:

CL, I have hurt all day from pain and feeling stupid! I jabbed my little toe, too! And, my back…..Last night my daughter heard me fall and came running. (Have I said I love her lately?) Anyway, she bandaged and rubbed Bengay on my back. Took vacodin and went to sleep. Woke up finally! Outside of some black and blue spots, I am sure I will be fine in another day. Damn, getting old is a B?t!h!!

• foodchain says:

Sally, I broke my middle finger when I jabbed it at Dick Cheney’s face on a magazine cover! Lol. Worth it!

• SallyT says:

LOL, well, mine wasn’t making a political statement. Just looking for something in the dark in the pantry.

• choicelady says:

NOw that’s a sacrifice well worth making! LOL!!!!

No worries, I gotcha and agree completely. This should hopefully be a huge defeat for the GOP and one that sets them back for decades…as the 2008 loss could have if the economy hadn’t continued to be so bad.

This is even worse though, I think they are in a death spiral they can’t escape.

• IDK that was a weird poll. It was the first poll to have Romney in positive favorable rating territory in a while too.

Didn’t see that part of the poll, thanks for the info KQ.

Still, it certainly seems right that the Repubs would be down by this much right now. Who, other than Repubs wouldn’t be alienated by all that has gone on with them and feeling better about all that seems to be improving under Obama?

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

From GFK’s Polling to God’s Ears….

Good night. Sent you an admin note today re. my article proposal. We will “talk.”

Watching Lawrence O’Donnell try to do a tortured gotcha, he is such a doofus at times and keeps trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.

Keeps asking if the US outlawing Mormon polygamy or slavery was bigger than Romney’s claim than Obama’s contraception rule, which Romney said was the greatest government reach into religion the country has ever seen.

Just dumb theatrics, not a gotcha LOD.

• When he tries to be like KO he’s absolutely horrible. Like when he attacked the ACA last week he told lie after lie just to fit his premise.

He is a preening egotist who sometimes is on target and other times is a self-righteous, pompous ass.

I loved his statement of fact at the beginning of the primary season that Pawlenty would be the GOP nom…and Pawlenty dropped out first!

Then he lost his time slot. Bet he didn’t predict that!

11. SallyT says:

One of the many idiot statements tonight was from Santorum saying that more children are having children. The last I checked teenage pregnancies were way down. Yet, this idiot believes that a child becoming pregnant from rape should accept it as a gift from God. If this idiot is elected President, well for me, HELLO AUSTRALIA!

• choicelady says:

I’m headed to Canada.

• MurphTheSurf3 says:

From wikipedia:
      The teenage birth rate in the United States is the highest in the developed world, and the teenage abortion rate is also high.[2] The U.S. teenage pregnancy rate was at a high in the 1950s and has decreased since then, although there has been an increase in births out of wedlock.[16] The teenage pregnancy rate decreased significantly in the 1990s; this decline manifested across all racial groups, although teenagers of African-American and Hispanic descent retain a higher rate, in comparison to that of European-Americans and Asian-Americans. The Guttmacher Institute attributed about 25% of the decline to abstinence and 75% to the effective use of contraceptives.[17] However, in 2006 the teenage birth rate rose for the first time in fourteen years.[18] This could imply that teen pregnancy rates are also on the rise, however the rise could also be due to other sources: a possible decrease in the number of abortions or a decrease in the number of miscarriages, to name a few.

To all of those I haven’t answered, I’m not being rude, I just can’t find the bloody comments. Mea culpa, muchly. :(

Politifact is such a fraud, with all the huge lies tossed out by all the Repubs at debates, they focus wherever else they can, even on Lawrence O’Donnell who, if I’m correct, isn’t running for public office.

The Pudnuts seem to think that Santorum muffed it tonight and generally, I agree. But in every debate, the front runner does poorly because he’s attacked from multiple sides.

That fact seems to escape the pudnuts.