AdLib On January - 26 - 2012

I know you’ve got to be going through withdrawals for going two days without a GOP debate so tonight, the GOP comes to the rescue with another in an unending series of debates.

Tonight’s debate is on CNN tonight at 5:00 pm PST/8:00 pm EST.

You’re invited to join us here for a live blogging of this last debate before the GOP primary in FL.

1. Looking back at the debate clips on MSNBC I could not help but see that Romney bought the crowd, aka it was a Brooks Bros crowd for Romney. They really were not cheering for conservative ideas. Them cheering Romney defending the mandate was as contrived as it gets. It’s amazing how Romney is going to buy this GOP nomination. Good thing the Obama grassroots machine will not be bought.

2. So teabaggers were shouting death panels and death threats to Dems over the fight to pass the ACA. But now Romney tells the GOP base it’s ‘Not Worth Getting Angry’ over it. This guy is going to be hated by both sides before the general election the 99% and his teabagger base.

I’ve mentioned it before but the Repubs appear to be putting on a show in the barn to act like they could be President, as opposed to exhibiting Presidential traits.

It’s The Gong Show!

4. MurphTheSurf3 says:

This was great…that idea of the brokered convention got even less likely tonight.

It’s kind of the best of all possible worlds, Romney has been bloodied and disqualified on so many fronts thanks to Newt and with a win in FL, will cruise to the nom without prolonged experience at REALLY debating.

Meanwhile, the Bagger contingent will be very discouraged and angry that a moderate is getting coronated by the GOP Elite so quickly, after only 4 primaries.

The civil war in the GOP could very well explode because of this.

And that works for me.

• SallyT says:

AdLib, who gets to wear the blue and who wears the gray? Also, did you see all the GOP’s come out against Newt? I mean even old Bob Dole! Of course you know this but that has to add to the fight.

5. As expected the GOPTEA Base is furious at Romney after the debate.

Almost a full year into the presidential campaign, Romney finally received a full-fledged beatdown for his mendacity over healthcare. He has the nerve to feign outrage over Obamacare, even while he touts Romneycare – a carbon copy of Obamacare – as a virtuous success, supported by 90% of Massachusetts residents. Santorum did his homework, and called him out on the hypocrisy. Romney was never able to answer why the same market intervention and distortions – mandates, subsidies, and Medicaid – which form the bedrock of Obamacare , supposedly worked so well in Massachusetts. The reason he couldn’t answer the question is because Romneycare was a complete failure. It is the canary in the coal mine for Obamacare…

…In other words, Romneycare, at its core, is exactly like Obamacare. When Romney could not articulate any fundamental difference between the two pernicious government takeovers, he wandered off into ancillary differences. He pointed out that Obamacare contains 2600 pages, raises taxes, and cuts Medicare. However, those are all nebulous differences related to the packaging or funding of the proposal. At the core, they are the same; mandates, subsidies, and Medicaid. That core is what Romney recently dubbed as fundamentally a conservative principle.

People on the left may not understand how big a deal this is. To give an analogy on the left this would be like Obama taking income inequality and the Buffet rule off the table in the 2012 election.

6. SallyT says:

When did Presidents start ending every speach with “God Bless and God Bless the United States of America”. I have watched old speaches by Kennedy, Nixon, and Carter and they always ended with “Thank you and good night.” Was it Reagan?

• The first president I remember talking about faith was actually Carter.

• SallyT says:

KQ, I was watching an old movie on TCM with Cary Grant and his real wife at the time Betsy Drake called “Room for One More”. They were at a Boy Scout awards and stood to say the Pledge and I noticed that “Under God” wasn’t in it. It caught me by surprise. I think the movie was made in 1953. Anyway, I remember that Eisenhower added that to show we weren’t Communist or something. Have you seen that movie? It is a good one.

• SallyT says:

But, I watched a show about him today and he didn’t end his speach with that. I watched Johnson, too, today and he didn’t and he was talking about Vietnam. I know Clinton did and Bush I and II and of course President Obama does. I was just wondering when it started being the norm. (Never see Roosevelt saying it or Truman. I know Eisenhower had “Under God” added to the Pledge.)

• escribacat says:

Seems to me it was during the Reagan era when the evangelicals took over the Republican party — Jerry Falwell in particular — but I don’t remember Reagan particularly invoking a higher power all the time.

7. kalie says:

Thanks for the conversation!! See ya.

8. Weirdwriter says:

MSNBC is neatly slicing and dicing the debate at the moment.

Any idea how many more of these Republican debates to go?

Mini-Poll: Who do you think came out of the debate stronger?

10. Weirdwriter says:

CNN has become increasingly irrelevant. Wish MSNBC could get a shot at these guys.

11. MurphTheSurf3 says:

Thank God Newt mentioned Saul Alinsky. It would be a sad night with the Salamander without reference to the mysterious, foreign sounding, vaguely socialist….organizer whose tactics are best seen in the contemporary world by the Tea Party.

12. kalie says:

This is an election about getting all of the gop out of office.

13. SallyT says:

Hey, Newt, I agree with you. We need to change Washington DC. Lets start by getting fewer Republicans there!

14. MurphTheSurf3 says:

This final question is an invitation for each one to give his mini-stump speech….unchallenged….CNN blew it with this question….nothing to learn here.