AdLib On January - 21 - 2012

The GOP debates and campaign in South Carolina have not shone the most flattering light on the South but there are truly great folks and communities down there. As an antidote to some of the negative things we’ve seen recently, this weekend’s music theme is a tribute to the goodness and compassion of many of our fellow Americans in the South.

Southern Accents – Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Sugar Magnolia – Grateful Dead

Texas Flood – Stevie Ray Vaughan

Georgia on My Mind – Ray Charles

Carolina in My Mind – James Taylor

Categories: Music Thread

1. SueInCa says:

Is Texas the south?
    Freddie Fender
    Before The Next Teardrop Falls

Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

Selena
    I could Fall In Love

Como La Flor (As The Flower)

2. Linda Ronstadt--Blue Bayou;

3. SueInCa says:

This is for Kalima. She always gives us the best R&B

Gladys Knight a great woman from Georgia

The Best Thing That Ever Happened

Midnight Train to Georgia

Oh Sue, thank you. I love Gladys Knight, I’m touched. 😳

I don’t know where many artists/singers come from, but if we are talking about Georgia, here is Lady Day.

Georgia on My Mind -- Billie Holiday.

• Kalima, Lady Day had no equal when it came to song and style. She always sang about 1/8th behind the beat. That is what made her sound so unique, that and the sheer soul that came from the heart of her. She gave her all to the songs she sang. I have an undying respect for her. I place her right along side of Charlie Parker as one of America’s jazz greats. Jazz is a truly an American art form.

I couldn’t agree more KT, and I consider myself lucky to have heard all the greats as a young child listening to AFR-American Forces Radio.

According to my family, I could dance before I could walk. My first trip to a jazz club was when I was 15, and I never wanted to leave.

• SueInCa says:

I love Billie Holiday. Diana Ross did a great job in the movie Lady Sings The Blues. Strange Fruit was the activist song of the day in the 30’s, it gave a name to racism and the deep seated hatred that makes men do such terrible things. Things I still cannot wrap my head around.

We are listening to Marvin Gaye now. It is hubby’s Motown night.

Saw the film with Diana Ross, and came out with tears running down my cheeks.

Can never have too much of Marvin Gaye. My hubby is off for his nap, and our felines are hiding under warm blankets. I’m listening to the BBC’s Friday Comedy Hour because I miss the Brit humour so much.

• SueInCa says:

I know we both like the R&B so i thought I would beat you to it and leave you a present. You have left so many that I enjoyed.

4. The Allman Bros--Jessica;

• SueInCa says:

I loved them and Marshall Tucker at the same time. Jessica is one of my favorites. There is so much good music you could probably listen 24 hours a day and still not get through it all in a year.

• Music is so much the antidote for the souless politics that can dominate our thoughts. The world is complex and to focus too long on the drudgery that is politics is not healthy for the soul. What an existence this would be without art and music!

• SueInCa says:

I hear that. I love to work on my jewlery and listen to music. I can work all day with few breaks. Once I get in to the mood, I can crank out some really nice pieces, then I give them away as gifts lol.

Beautiful stuff, BFF. Thanks so much.

‘Scuse me for barging in here, Sue, but those beads are absolutely gorgeous. I’d buy those earrings in a heartbeat.

And think of the fun of being able to make them!

• SueInCa says:

PS I do work with polymer clay. Here are some pieces made with polymer clay so you can get an idea what a finished product would look like:

• SueInCa says:

BFF
              You are never a Barger, you are always welcome. He is one of the best at making glass or dichroic beads. His designs really come to life. I told KT I saw a bracelet out of some rainbow beads he made and when you turn the bracelet around it is almost like the colors are shooting around the bracelet. I have been following him for years. I work with ready made beads but would love to be able to afford a kiln to get into glass beds.

• For sure! I used to crank up the music when I was blowing glass. It just seemed to aid my creativity and boost my endurance to the heat of molten glass. Over 2,000 degrees when liquid.

5. jjgravitas says:

Three from the Squirrel Nut Zippers (a ’30’s-ish jazz-punk band from North Carolina, with a lot of Crescent City influence). You’ll never hear these guys at a GOP convention.

“The Suits Are Picking Up The Bill”

“Put A Lid On It”

“The Ghost of Stephen Foster”

Soooooo cool! Thanks for introducing us to this group, jjgravitas. I had never heard of them. Fantastic!

• jjgravitas says:

Yeah, I’m a big fan of the Zippers, have all their records up through their breakup around 2000 (I was so disappointed). But I hear they are reforming and have a new live album (which I haven’t heard or seen yet). I hope to hear more from the SQZ.

#;^)

Oh, by the way — if you like them, do the right thing and buy their CDs. Although the SQZ are too eccentric for your mainstream record store, their stuff is available online at Amazon.com. It’s worth it, believe me 😉

• The Ghost of Stephen Foster was awesome. These guys a great.

• jj, their name alone is awesome. Great stuff.

6. LFer says:

The Blessing -- Delta Rain

7. Little Feat--Dixie Chicken;

8. LFer says:

John Hiatt -- Memphis In The Meantime

John Hiatt -- Drive South

9. Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen--Hot Rod Lincoln;

10. jjgravitas says:

John Fred and his Playboy Band -- Judy In Disguise (With Glasses) (1968)

11. jjgravitas says:

Johnny Rivers -- Secret Agent Man (1966)

12. Hoyt Axton/John Hartford--The Yellow Rose of Texas;