AdLib On November - 5 - 2011

This Sunday, we set our clocks back to Standard time to put more daylight in our days and with all that’s been going on, it’s not a bad time at all to start lightening up.

So far, it looks like things are getting maybe just a tiny bit brighter as numbers for the economy improve, Obama’s ratings rise, GOP candidates implode and Occupy Wall Street builds its powerful impact on the political dialog and future of this nation.

Many concerns and worries exist but why not take this weekend to spread a little brightness and sunshine around?

Good Day Sunshine – The Beatles

Sunshine of Your Love – Cream

Brand New Day – Sting

Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves

Shine – Collective Soul

Your turn to brighten up the weekend!

Categories: Music Thread

1. Van Morrison--Bright Side Of The Road;

2. Yes--Heart Of The Sunrise;

3. zenith1959 says:

The first few songs I thought of are already here, so excuse me for posting this under four minute long non music video that made me laugh.

• AlphaBitch says:

Great, Zenith!

The little one on the right at the end will obviously grow up to be an attorney. Made all the salient points of why eating all the candy is not a good idea. His little brother, however, is likely to be a Republican, given his difficulty in math and communication. (Both are adorable to be honest)

My fave was the little boy in blue -- “Whhhaaaaattt??”

• Same here AB. The boy in the blue shirt was really sort of “zen,” about it. The two on the couch were great also. The one on the right may indeed grow up to be a lawyer! Very rational and inquiring!

4. Neon Philharmonic--Morning Girl;

5. Gerry and the Pacemakers--Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Cryin;

• SueInCa says:

KT
      Another song I absolutely love. I loved all the British Beat even though I was only in the 5th grade. I played it until my dad almost wanted to break it in two lol

• Emerald1943 says:

KT, that was another song that came out when I was living in New York. It’s funny how one can associate a time or place with a song. This makes me think of my apartment in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn.

• Living in Brooklyn must have been quite the experience. Been to NYC and area, many times, but never lived there.

• Emerald1943 says:

KT, yes it was! I lived in Brooklyn and commuted into Manhattan. Moved to the upper East side and lived there for a couple of years..easier to get to work. When I was there, I loved it, but I wouldn’t go back for all the tea in China! I do love my solitude here in the mountains!

• SueInCa says:

Em my uncle lives in the inland waterway I think it was off Carolina Beach? He has a boat dock off his condo. I had so much fun visiting back there, I love the east coast

• Emerald1943 says:

Bito, You could NEVER be snotty! And you are also correct…it is the Intra-Coastal Waterway, but that doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue! Locals call it the Inland Waterway. Your tax dollars at work for sure! It’s a great thing that ships can avoid some pretty treacherous waters by navigating up and down the waterway. There’s usually pretty heavy traffic and it was fun to sit up on the dunes and watch the big boats come through under the drawbridge. We used to wave at the sailors and they would blow the ship’s horn for us! A great thing for kids! :-)

• Emerald1943 says:

Sue, the Inland Waterway goes all the way from Florida up to the northeast coast. It’s a perfect place to water-ski! I spent a great deal of time there as a teenager. My mom would rent a house for the summer at a little place called Holden Beach, south of Wrightsville. Very quiet and not commercial at all. Great beach, beautiful sand dunes, great memories.

• bito says:

Not to be snotty Em, Sue, but I believe it’s known as the “Inter-coastal Waterway.” That aside, it is quite a beautiful system, I have spent many hours on it in the Florida portion pretending I was fishing but mostly enjoying the wildlife. It was always teeming with birds and a vast amounts of sea life. Oh, how I miss water ways where I live.

(and yes, I have to get political but many of the connecting pathways were done by that damn Fedrul Gubment and are still maintained by them at taxpayer expense)

• SueInCa says:

Em you mention the beaches in NC? I loved them, went to Wrights beach and others when I was there. My cousin on the other hand, loved our beaches because they were so different from yours. If you ever get out here, look me up I will take you to all the best places

• Emerald1943 says:

Sue, nothing would please me more! Don’t know when I’ll ever get all the way out there, but it would be fun, I’m sure!

You’re right…Wrightsville Beach is a great area! Fantastic shrimp down there! We used to get them right off the boats that dock in the Inland Waterway…none fresher!

• That’s like me and the city of Boston. Great town, great times, but now it would just be too hectic and noisy. Cape Cod, on the other hand, is one of the most beautiful and peaceful place in America, maybe the world.

• Emerald1943 says:

I’ve only been to the Cape once and it was really nice. I still prefer NC’s quiet beaches though. The water is not as cold! The Cape is gorgeous, no doubt, but did you ever go to the Outer Banks and Cape Hatteras? Okracoke Island is one of my favorites. Lots or pirate lore in those parts! Blackbeard and the like..

6. The Temptations--Night And Day;

7. Cat Stevens--Silent Sunlight;

8. James Taylor--Carolina In My Mind;

Sweet Marvin Gaye: Sunny

10. Emerald1943 says:

Apologies if someone has already posted this one…

John Denver -- “Sunshine on my Shoulders”

What a beautiful voice! He left us too soon.

11. Emerald1943 says:

A really weird video, but some pretty cool music…

Billy Thorpe -- “Children of the Sun”

12. This isn’t about sunshine, but aren’t we all looking for America?

• foodchain says:

KT , Neil Sedaka wrote some fun songs but he wrote this: There was a Time When Strangers Were Welcome Here. It is a wonderful set of lyrics, if you can take the time. As an immigrant myself, it says basically what we have today: when there was room, people were welcome. I’m schmaltzy, but I think it’s a good tune.

• Emerald1943 says:

Hi food! Glad to see you here tonight!

I don’t think it schmaltzy at all! I have always loved Sedaka. He really has a unique voice, very pure! And I’ve always liked this song…sentiments a long ways away from the anti-immigrant vitriol that we hear now

“It was a sweeter tune…and there was so much room..”

• Emerald1943 says:

KT, thanks for posting this. This song always makes me cry! Brings back memories from a long time ago.

13. I guess part of the theme here is putting all the dark shit behind us for a day. Well, this one can’t be beat IMO;

14. Bill Withers--Ain’t No Sunshine;