AdLib On July - 27 - 2011

Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy, in an attempt to help John Boehner with his struggle to convince his fellow Republicans in the House to support his deficit reduction bill, chose to play a scene from the Ben Affleck movie, “The Town” in order to convince them. I don’t know if he was simply using the familiar GOP “inspiring fear” tactic of watching Ben Affleck act or deliver awful dialog but it didn’t seem to have the desired effect.

And so, Americans are now called to help their country! Help end the debt ceiling crisis by suggesting to John Boehner, a more effective and appropriate movie clip that he can play in his next meetings to bring Republicans on board to saving our economy.

My first thought is to go old school to really capture Boehner’s sensibility:

Then again, maybe going with fantasy is Boehner’s best bet:

Knowing Republicans, perhaps the authoritarian approach would work best?

As much as he wanted to go for the mafia theme, I just hope for Boehner’s sake that no Republican House member sees this scene which reflects how he feels with Eric Cantor standing over him:

So fellow Americans, do your duty and suggest the clips that will help Speaker Boehner and America in it’s hour of need!

1. KQuark says:

Well Bonehead you’ve been had by your own crazy party. They started to really believe all that crap about themselves the GOP sold them. If the Democrats had ever been this dysfunctional it would have been the shot heard ’round the world but now it a leaderless GOP.

Tea Bagger Song “The end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.”

EXCLUSIVE VIDEO:

Live from the House of Representatives, John Boehner and the Republicans working on unified, organized support of his debt bill:

That’s What the Money is For!

It’s Toasted!

Seriously, there’s only one world Boehner will ever remind me of: Mad Men world. It’s not even funny. It’s like he time warped from the early corporate 60s.

4. This is a clip Obama should show to the GOP/TP;

5. ADONAI says:

Maybe this:

or this:

6. whatsthatsound says:

All time great scene from an all time great movie, and apropos

7. PatsyT says:

How about Christopher Walken
    I could have used some more cowbell!
    Maybe Boehner just needs more cowbell.

8. PatsyT says:

This must be how the meetings have been going

9. whatsthatsound says:

Show ’em this. Third prize is you’re fired.

• Chernynkaya says:

Whts what is so upsetting is that David Mamet HAS BECOME that character Blake. He has become a real Right-winger, so that clip is doubly pertinent. I can’t imagine what happened to him.

• Maybe he’s afraid of being blacklisted again. The McCarthyites really screwed up his life.

• whatsthatsound says:

Wow, I didn’t know that. What a putz!

• choicelady says:

I saw his book, Cher, and was horrified that he might think the only answer to poorly thought out liberalism was RW politics. HOped he’d found a ‘third way”, but noooo.

Few know his most powerful play, “The Water Engine”, but it was a total indictment of capitalism at its most violent. A young man in the 1920s invents an engine that runs on water, and every corporate thug has a reason to commandeer it or kill it. Ultimately they kill him AND his sister, and the design and details all just disappear.

I can understand getting some wisdom about capitalism as opposed to engaging in hard nosed, thoughtless sneering, but to take his conversion to becoming right winger from BECK is to be sure he was just looking for a reason to be a jerk. He probably pissed off so many people on the left he had nowhere else to go. One hears he’s not a very nice person. He will fit right in with Glenn, Ann, and the crowd.

But I’d love to ask him about “The Water Engine” and whether he now repudiates it since it was based in part on a true story…

Thanks for letting me know the outcome of the book -- I will save the $29 it would have cost. I could not believe he’d be that stupid, but apparently I was wrong. I should know better.

• Chernynkaya says:

C’Lady, I think he has had a psychotic break. Ala Bobby Fischer, and it manifested itself as rancid racism and hatred. His career is over. His last play, called “Race” bombed.

10. PatsyT says: