AdLib On June - 4 - 2011

First, big props to jkkFL for coming up with this weekend’s theme!

As the end of the school year and graduations arrive, so does that once-in-a-lifetime memorable evening called Senior Prom. It may have been memorable for the dancing, the partying or for some of us who go back a bit, the powder blue tuxedos.

Whether looked back on fondly or with a bit of cringing, the nostalgia of the music, the friends and the times of one’s Prom can’t help but bring a smile.

So, this weekend we travel back to those innocent times, sharing the soundtrack of that singular night and times.

I begin with the song that was my class’ official Class song and the theme song of our prom (I had voted for a “rockier” song but this was the winner):

Your Song – Elton John

Other songs I recall that were at or surrounding Prom Night:

Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow – Fleetwood Mac

Blinded by the Light – Manfred Mann

The Year of the Cat – Al Stewart

The Things We Do for Love – 10CC

Lido Shuffle – Boz Scaggs

Your turn!

Categories: Music Thread

1. KillgoreTrout says:

From a truly great album;

2. texliberal says:

May 20, 1967. Now that was a night

3. ADONAI says:

Prom Night Mix:

I never went to my prom so i don’t know what they played. I’m guessing this:

Green day -- Time of your life(this song was everywhere my senior year)

Snoop Dogg -- Upside Ya Head

“You’re Still the One” -- Shania Twain

2Pac -- California Love

Enjoy.

Never went to Prom. But I think this was our class song. I know it was Sarah McLachlan.

Otherwise, my best memories from high school are when I wasn’t there. Let’s leave it at that.

• jkkFL says:

Khirad, I’m thinkin’ your Teacher’s best memories were when you weren’t there, too!

• ADONAI says:

Khirad,I enjoyed the after prom events. Hell, I enjoyed the after anything events. Organized parties are lame and I hate most of the people who go to them.

I remember the party at the Mayor’s house after senior prom. Of course the mayor wasn’t there but his son LOVED to party. That was the night I basically quit drinking. Not even 21 yet and I was already overdoing it. I can’t even really remember most of it. Great party.

Good times, if only I could remember!

Yeah, I hear that.

I don’t even remember what I was doing that night. It wasn’t even a blip on my radar. Part of me is bitter I guess, but I never even tried--I only asked a girl to a fall dance once in my Sophomore year, after she back-channeled through an intermediary she liked me or something.

Did I have an anti-prom? Or did the night pass without me registering it? I don’t remember. But I was probably on something. It was during such events I liked to just disappear in an acid haze. It’s only when I look back that I feel bitter, but why? I hated all those people anyway. I actually cracked open the yearbook to check what the song was and immediately started feeling sick. Like literally. Fuck high school. I’ve spent the remaining years trying to forget all those popular kids and their smug, fake smiles plastered on every other page. I’ll never go to any reunion. They stopped sending me those things, or haven’t been able to track me down in my new state. Thank god.

So yeah, to repeat, fuck High School. Three years of hell. And those years were better than Junior High.

The only cool thing about those years was getting high and going to concerts like this:

Type O Negative -- World Coming Down

• jkkFL says:

ADONAI- I understand this is a mostly adult site, but are we Really going There??
        😉

5. KillgoreTrout says:

The Doobie Brothers--Listen To The Music;

6. KillgoreTrout says:

Steely Dan--Do It Again;

7. KillgoreTrout says:

Grand Funk Railroad--The Locomotion;

8. KillgoreTrout says:

The Righteous Brothers--Unchained Melody;

9. jkkFL says:

Prince- The Most Beautiful Girl

10. jkkFL says:

For Khirad 😉 A Babe You Might Have Missed!!

11. jkkFL says:

George Michael- Faith

12. KillgoreTrout says:

Damn, my prom was 40 years ago. I’m having a hard time remembering what was played. Here is one song I remember. The Delphonics--Didn’t I;

13. jkkFL says:

Bon Jovi
    Always

14. bito says:

This must have been a played at some prom.

And “across the tracks” they played this one.