AdLib On April - 7 - 2011

What a remarkable year we had here at PlanetPOV in 2010! The depth, insights and wit of posts written by the community here was nothing less than impressive.

There were so many great articles, it was difficult to narrow them down to the selections below. Though we call this “top” posts, there were many other wonderful articles in 2010 so if you discover or re-discover posts that you enjoy here, please visit our Archive to browse through and read other great posts from last year.

We included most of the posts nominated by members at the end of last year. The original plan was to do this at the beginning of this year but so many major events occurred in the meantime and deservedly took precedence.

Now, we take a break to celebrate our community, the insights and opinions of the people here that make this site so substantial and singular.

The nominated articles below are in no particular order. You may vote for one or more posts in each category, the maximum number of posts you can vote for in each category is described in their titles.

Each title is hyperlinked, to read an article, just click on a title.

In addition to the categories below, PlanetPOV Core Awards go to Kalima for Morning Blog and Bito for Time Out for O/T, thanks to both of you for these pillars of the site and all that you do!

Now, it’s your turn to exercise your right to be entertained and enlightened, explore the many remarkable articles below from 2010 and vote for your faves!

VOTE BELOW FOR YOUR FAVORITE POSTS OF 2010:

[poll id=”36″]

[poll id=”37″]

[poll id=”38″]

[poll id=”39″]

[poll id=”40″]

[poll id=”41″]

[poll id=”42″]

[poll id=”43″]

Categories: PlanetPOV

1. Chernynkaya says:

AdLib--I’m wondering--is there a deadline on this? When is the “awards ceremony”? ;-)

2. Truth says:

Thanks again for these outstanding articles. It was nearly impossible to vote on them for -- to borrow a line from Killgore -- each was good in its own right. Yet it was a wonderful opportunity to go through a presentation of gems on a silver plater.

The longer I play with this, the more I sympathize with KillgoreTrout and his POV. Are you still out there, KT? :-D

This is like asking someone to pick her/his favorite child.

I dunno if I can do it!

:oops:

4. Chernynkaya says:

You know what gets me? (And this is kind of my own personal beef, obviously.) No one in my entire family or any of my friends have read my stuff. OUCH! And they (my friends and family) are political types too. Does anyone else here have that problem or is it just that I have crummy family? ;-) Or, are they perhaps being, um, diplomatic?? I mean, Gee! WTH?

• whatsthatsound says:

I kind of force-feed some people. My brother, for example. He always has really insightful comments once he’s read them, but he doesn’t seek them out. I put my posts on FB, and I generally get a comment or two. I think sometimes you just have to put something right in front of somebody’s face and say, “Here, read this and tell me what you think”.

• Chernynkaya says:

Whts, maybe you can relate to this, or maybe it’s just among my folks--it applies to my art too: Whenever I show my husband (either the first or this one) anything I write they always say something to the effect of, “You should “really” write, and get published. You could sell this, or write a novel.” If I show a piece of art, it’s, “You should sell this stuff--go to an art fair!”

Now, I understand they mean this in the nicest possible way. They are complimenting me. They think they are telling me that my work is valuable. However. Why does it have to get sold to be “real?” Or valuable? Why isn’t it enough that I do it? Does that make any sense? See, I am not into getting a literary agent or sending manuscripts around --but I know that’s what one does. Ditto for my art--There is NO WAY I could take it to a gallery. But I love doing it. I give it as gifts, or just keep it. Maybe when I’m long gone, some art critic will find my stash at the Goodwill and I’ll be posthumously famous (Heh!)

The thing is, I have heard this “why don’t you…” all my life. There were years I didn’t create anything because I felt if I didn’t sell it, it was pointless. It’s only very recently I have called myself an artist (defiantly and abashedly) because I thought an artist was only one who sells art. Maybe that IS the definition. But I just feel--oh, what the heck--I paint! I write. So, I will call myself a blogger at least. So, whew! That was a tangent. But I see now that in fact, I am reluctant to ask my family and friends to read what I write--they will just tell me to get a “real” career.

I’ve always held in equal regard and dismay Tibetan sand paintings (where the religious lesson is obvious). I saw in some regard what you are talking about in that--taken to an extreme.

One thing I could never do is write something and then destroy it (getting lost on an out-of-date computer format, or being lost in a misplace shoebox is another issue--I have so many forever Lost Poems) unless it was something so lousy, or so vitriolically cathartic that it ‘merited’ such action for posterity.

But, do we not create (as KT beat me to it), in one sense (of many more direct impulses), so we will be ‘immortal’ (however ephemerally)?

Non omnis moriam. -- Horace

• Truth says:

Sand Mandalas -- aren’t they showing better than anything else the sacredness of Art?

mandala_4_md.jpg

Millions of grains of sand are painstakingly laid into place on a flat platform over a period of days or weeks before ultimately being dismantled in order to release and disseminate the deity’s blessings into the world to benefit all sentient beings.

Formed into traditionally prescribed Tibetan iconography that includes geometric shapes and a multitude of historical Buddhist spiritual symbols, the sand-painted mandala is used as a tool for consecrating, or blessing, the earth and its inhabitants, and provides for the practitioner a visual framework for establishing the enlightened mind of the Buddha.

How difficult to destroy something so beautiful! But then, how beautiful to honor the Divine by creating something so beautiful and then sacrificing it for the wellbeing of all sentient beings.

• Chernynkaya says:

Khirad, I do think we create for immortality. I cleave to my writing and whenever I get a new computer, it is my biggest anxiety--that they will be lost. And at the same time, I know no one will likely see them!

• KillgoreTrout says:

cher, Mickey Spillaine once said, “Anybody who writes for reasons other than money is a fool.” I absolutely disagree with him on this.
          Writing one’s thoughts, experiences and ideas does serve a purpose. Somebody is going to read those writings at one point or another. A part of you will exist maybe long after you’re gone. Just think of the hundreds and hundreds of works that we would be denied if getting paid was the only reason to write or paint, or sculpt….etc.
          Writers write, painters paint and sculptors sculpt. It’s what is in them and must be brought forth.

• whatsthatsound says:

I totally understand. It’s pretty much a common way of responding to artists, writers, musicians, etc.
          I think sometimes people don’t understand how difficult it is to make it in these industries, and furthermore how many creative people just really don’t have what it takes to bang on doors, make the cold calls, accept the rejection letters, DO DO DO to get their work seen. And even if they do, that’s not a guarantee. It’s sad, in a way, when we recognize that for every Bob Dylan there are probably three dozen people just as talented that we’ve never heard of. For every Grisham, there are twenty writers that go well beyond him in ability. And for every Basquiat, there are literally THOUSANDS of more talented individuals who have put in their Ten Thousand Hours at their craft, but don’t benefit from the patronage of Warhol, etc.

I hear it all the time, too. “You should”. As if we ourselves have never thought of what the particular “should” is. If our society had a better balance between the left and right hemispheres of the brain, and a more sane attitude toward “success” ad “achievement”, it would probably be a lot easier for us artists and creators. But things are just the way they are, and we do the best we can.

• KillgoreTrout says:

whats, there is a really good book, written by Henry Miller entitled “The Time of the Assassins.”
            It is Miller’s view on how works of art are often crushed by a society that sees only money as the true test of art. Here is a blurb from jacket of this book;

“This study is not literary criticism but a fascinating chapter in Miller’s own spiritual autobiography. The social function of the creative personality is a recurrent theme with Miller, and this book is perhaps his most poignant and concentrated analysis of the artist’s dilemma.”

• whatsthatsound says:

Hi, KT, thanks for that. I remember a quote by Henry Miller that is great, about agents, about “people who just hang around and take their cut”, which was really scathing. But I can never find it. Maybe it’s from this book.

• Questinia says:

Three dozen just as talented as Bob Dylan? Surely you jest!

• Questinia says:

There is NO ONE, NO ONE, NO ONE like Bob Dylan. He is probably the only musician living that will be remembered in five hundred years. No one is as prolific and influential. No one. Neil Young is sort of up there as is Joni.

• whatsthatsound says:

Hi bito. Yes, okay; thanks for asking. I was on a train, that stopped. We were really jostled! I haven’t even checked the news yet to see how bad it was. Will do that now.

• whatsthatsound says:

Don’t call me Shirley!

• bito says:

Shirley, sir? you OK? I can’t believe you guys got another good jolt, 7.1/7.4.
              #pray for japan

• KillgoreTrout says:

There is only one other person that might come close to Dylan as songwriter/poet, and that would have to be Joni Mitchell. Like Dylan, her songs go beyond just lyricism and into the realm of poetry. Good poetry.

Cher, if it’s any consolation, no one I know in my “real” (?!?) life has ever read anything I’ve written here either.

Your friends/family are missing a real treat, though, if they don’t check out your wonderful “Hate in America” series — at the very least!

• jkkFL says:

Cher- if they aren’t reading your stuff, it’s their loss! WTH is an appropriate assessment!!
      There are two or three names I look for, before I start thru the posts..I know these people will enlighten and inform!
      There are a couple I read last (for obvious reasons.) One I rarely read at all!!
      Yours are Never in the last two categories :)

• PatsyT says:

Cher, I have the same kind of thing here but who is to say they aren’t reading things in secret.
      Hmmmm they do wind up asking me who to vote for, wonder why? ;-)

• bito says:

Hey, ya have a family.

5. Truth says:

I planned on reading and commenting on individual articles -- but again it was too difficult to pick out only some. So many excellent articles to choose from. Therefore let me say only this: I appreciate them all and am now all the more aware that the archives hold many precious gems.

6. KQuark says:

Now if this was a real election over 7,000 votes would show up the last minute for the most conservative post.

7. whatsthatsound says:

If I win anything, I’ll toast my success with a bottle of Drambuie.
    And if I don’t win anything, I’ll drown my sorrows in a bottle of Drambuie.

Done, done and done!

It was such a great pleasure going through all the excellent posts again, a wonderful reminder of all the talent and hard work from our members. Well done to each and every one of you, and thank you so much for your brilliant contributions.

First of all, my comment box is the breadth of the #1 runway in our Narita airport. Secondly, (blushing) what does a girl wear to accept her award in “middle earth” and can I bring Gollum as my date, as he has his eyes on my award , and keeps mumbling something about “my precious.” Anything to shut him up. :)

Fondest regards from,

Shakingallover

9. Chernynkaya says:

I’m also seeing an interesting trend--if one can call such early votes a trend yet. Most of the votes are for votes in the first 3 top slots on the list. Coinkidink?

I’m trying to vote but am running into a few glitches.

One, you can click to read a story without also voting for it… but this is incidental.

Second, there are things that keep spinning. Annoying, but also incidental.

Third, I tried voting and got through the first section fine, but on the second, got an error message that said the page (?) was not accessible.

You are supposed to be able to click on article names without it registering as a vote, so folks who haven’t read them all can read them first before voting for one.

The spinning things is a software issue (as is the appearance of the page. We’ll use different polling software in the future.

Not sure about the third error, does the error appear on this page when you click the vote button?

• Chernynkaya says:

Khirad--they same stuff happened to me. But then I realized the vote didn’t count until I also hit the Vote button. As for eh other stuff--I’m not really sure if my votes counted at all or if they counted twice!

Also, the comment boxes take up the whole page, but I don’t think that matters.

11. jkkFL says:

AdLib-
    can we just call all of them a tie, and let them split that million dollar PPOV Literary
    Award???!! ;)

12. ADONAI says:

I was kinda sad that I didn’t get any nominations but then I remembered that I wasn’t even here last year. :)

Tough choices. I wanna vote for my boy Khirad but he’s got some stiff competition here.

13. Chernynkaya says:

Still thinking AdLib, but I can’t take the credit for the excellent post “Totems of the American West.” That was Pepe. I found out because I had to read it--I thought I had finally gotten dementia and forgot something I wrote!) :-)

Sponsors