AdLib On March - 25 - 2011

Today’s music thread is all about the singers, those with the most unique, powerful, moving and/or memorable voices. Who do you think of when you think of a singer? What are your favorite vocals in a song? Share your faves with your friends here!

This is a tough one, so many to choose from. I think I’ll begin with one of the most amazing vocal works in a famous song by someone nearly nobody knows the name of,  Clare Torry:

The Great Gig In The Sky – Pink Floyd (Clare Torry)

Whole Lotta Love – Led Zeppelin (Robert Plant)

Respect – Aretha Franklin

Sittin’ On The Dock Of The Bay – Otis Redding

Hound Dog – Elvis Presley

The Very Thought of You – Billie Holiday

Your turn!

Categories: Music Thread

Unique Voice: Elizabeth Fraser

Cocteau Twins -- Blind Dumb Deaf

2. KillgoreTrout says:

Ladysmith Black Mambazo--The Lion Sleeps Tonight;

3. KillgoreTrout says:

Cassandra Wilson--Redemption Song;

4. Truth says:

Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes: Up Where We Belong….

5. KQuark says:

Now he’s something unique Khirad Tuvan throat singing.

6. Questinia says:

How could kd lang be missed? Talk about distinctive.

Persian Diva Hayedeh

8. ScottyBob says:

This week, I’ve been celebrating the smokey, sultry voice of the one and only Adele.

9. Truth says:

Thanks to whats/Kate Bush I re-found the wonderful Hayley Westenra…with reference to AdLibs title: Amazing Grace

10. whatsthatsound says:

Wow, I just realized nobody posted this, even though Adlib called for “unique” voices.
    Kate Bush, Wuthering Heights

• KQuark says:

One of my favorite duets with two amazing and distinctive voices.

Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush -- Don’t Give Up

First off: Kate Bush, awesome.

Secondly, same song -- with another very unique voice of Ataraxia’s Francesca Nicoli:

I’m now actually torn which one I like better.

• whatsthatsound says:

Hey Khirad, THAT is really something! Not just the singing, but the whole arrangement. They’re doing everything they can to make it sound like it’s coming from another planet. By I think Kate just does that naturally, without even trying, so I give her the edge.
        Thanks for the post, never heard this before.

• Truth says:

Wuthering Heights…. must be Kate Bush. Not even the heavenly Heyley Westenra came close with her version of the song… But I find this Ataraxia song interesting:

And, it reminded me of Les Mystères des Voix Bulgares which I like a lot

• Truth says:

True, whats, I used to love that song earlier. But luckily I never saw a video before…

• Chernynkaya says:

Whts--yep--that’s unique all right! It takes some getting used to. I never heard of her, but she reminds me of Macy Grey a little.

• whatsthatsound says:

Hi Cher,
        I like Macy Gray, never thought of the connection though. In fact, I don’t associate Kate Bush’s singing with ANYONE’S! I’m surprised you’ve never heard of her. She’s a major star, particularly in the UK.

Indeed, but more than that is the scope of her influence (which I’m admittedly more familiar with):

From the 1980s onward, it has become almost standard for individualistic female singer-songwriters to be compared to Bush by the media. She has been noted as an influence on female artists such as Tori Amos, Björk, Alison Goldfrapp, Nerina Pallot, KT Tunstall, Lily Allen, PJ Harvey, Little Boots, and Florence Welch, in addition to acts as diverse as Muse, OutKast, and Bloc Party. Paula Cole named Bush as an influence while accepting the Best New Artist Grammy in 1996. Ariel Pink wrote a tribute song for her titled “For Kate I Wait” on the album The Doldrums. The trip-hop artist Tricky has said about Bush, “I don’t believe in God, but if I did, her music would be my bible”. Punk rocker John Lydon, better known as Johnny Rotten of the Sex Pistols, declared her work to be “fucking brilliant” and labelled her “a true original”.

I’m a little surprised too, whats.

• Chernynkaya says:

Oh, I’m an old lady who is out of so many loops! :-)

11. Truth says:

And then there was Tina Turner

12. Truth says:

Luciano Pavarotti feat. Tracy Chapman -- Baby Can I Hold You

13. Truth says:

Lou Reed and Luciano Pavarotti: Perfect Day

She’s more known as a pianist songwriter that brought to the instrument the physical sexuality Jimi Hendrix brought to the guitar, but she also has one of the most ‘evocative; sultry yet hurt and wiser for it; strongly vulnerable’ voices ever. There’s no faking this. Hers is raw authenticity that can’t be phoned in.

Tori Amos -- Caught a Lite Sneeze