Buddy McCue On March - 23 - 2011

We have a cherry tree blooming in the back yard. This is a painting of some of the blossoms. Two weeks ago, they were just little white flowers, but now they show a little bit of pink color in the middle.

When I read about the things happening in Japan these days and see the pictures, I have no words to express my sorrow. Other people are good with words, and can write poetry and such things. I can’t do that well, but I can paint, and I do have these good cherry blossoms as a subject, so I painted this to dedicate to the people of Japan. I hope that isn’t too presumptuous of me.

Written by Buddy McCue

I am a middle-aged artist and musician who was born and raised in the Southern United States. I have a Flickr page where some of my artwork can be seen : http://www.flickr.com/photos/bmccue/ I post various creative things on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/BMcCue7 And you can hear some of my modest musical compositions here: http://home.mindspring.com/~safeathome/artandmusicofbuddymccue/id8.html

1. Buddy McCue says:

Thanks everybody, for saying such nice things.

I’ll toast a Sapporo to that.

A beautiful work and a lovely tribute, Buddy!

4. Truth says:

Thank you for the wonderful picture and for the sentiment in which you painted it, Buddy.

5. foodchain says:

Every time I see something from you I smile. That doesn’t happen easily or often. Thank you. But also, for the tribute to Japan. It’s lovely

6. escribacat says:

Another beauty, Buddy.

7. Artist50 says:

Buddy -- Beautiful job with a lovely sentiment.

8. Chernynkaya says:

Buddy--so lovely!!

Absolutely beautiful, Buddy!

And though the words that accompany may be few, they’re perfect. They come from the heart of a true gentleman.

10. BigDogMom says:

The simple beauty of the cherry blossoms says it all, well done Buddy, well done…

(Your talent is amazing, you need to be seen by the world, you need to have a professional show of your work)

11. Haruko Haruhara says:

I ♥ spring. Today I finally put up the birdfeeder on my new birdfeeder stand I got for Christmas.

Do your worst squirrels, I’m ready for you this year!

Sakura is also a Japanese TV character.

• Buddy McCue says:

HH -- How do you keep the squirrels from eating out of your birdfeeder? We have that problem too. They act like hogs; they eat most of the birdseed and prevent the birds from feeding.

I bang on the window and shout “Squirrel! Get away from that!” but that doesn’t help much.

• BigDogMom says:

@Buddy, having a big dog to guard the bird feeders helps! 😆

I used to run out in my PJ’s yelling, “shoo, shoo..”, waving my arms and clapping, my neighbors thought I was nuts. The dogs just naturally picked up that the bird feeders and bird houses were sacred ground and needed to be guarded.

Now I just open the back door and say, “Squirrel! Get’em!”, and when Rudder, our other older golden that we lost last year, was just hanging out, he made sure that no darn Squirrel was going near them. Win the younger dog just picked up on it via the older dog.

Now that Win is alone, he makes it his duty as soon as he goes out of the house or car to check on the feeders and run any critter off!

• Abbyrose86 says:

Spring is a lovely season…if one actually does get spring. (sigh)

I woke up this morning to at least 6 inches of snow!

I’m so jealous!

• Haruko Haruhara says:

I put up my birdfeeder, and Pepe is having his first barbecue tonight … and climbed his first mountain of the year (though it was a little mountain, only 4,100 feet). He gets SO grouchy in the winter!

• Caru says:

The Naruto Sakura?

Cardcaptor Sakura was probably my favorite show as an older child.

*Edit.*

I love spring too. After Christmas the whole Winter thing just gets me down.

12. Caru says:

I! LOVE! IT!

Presumptuous? It’s bloody brilliant!

13. ADONAI says:

Could not have done better than cherry blossoms Buddy. It’s one of the first things I think about when I think of Japan. Well done.

Truly beautiful Buddy, and really hit the spot here with. All official cherry blossom viewing events have been canceled over much of Japan, people are of course still afraid of what is in the air and water now.

Seeing your wonderful painting here, I won’t miss the cherry blossoms so much this year, so thank you for sharing this gift with us, it is more than enough to express your feelings.

Oops got to go, another aftershock.

EDIT.

For some reason I can’t give you any gold stars, I’ll be back later to try again.

• Artist50 says:

Kalima- I can’t imagine how frightening those aftershocks must be for you! It startled me just reading your post. I hope they will stop soon -- they have to be such a terrifying reminder of the last couple of weeks. Continue hanging in there.

Thank you Artist50. You would think that over 600 since the 11th would prepare you for the next one, but you never know when they are coming. We are all ok, it must be even worse for the people in the shelters up north and they are having snow again.

To tell you the truth I’m more afraid of the earthquakes than all the international hype about the radiation fallout. We are hanging in there. Arigato!

• AlphaBitch says:

Dear Kalima: I hope you don’t mind. I took the liberty and starred him for you. I hope that 10 stars was what you wanted; if not, then I starred Buddy for myself. I find his paintings absolutely stunning, and his sentiment even more so. (a la Bandstand: “I liked the beat, and I could dance to it.”)

Here’s hoping things are quiet once more.

• Caru says:

Fixed.

AB thank you, and just so you know, when I hit the reply button, the screen jumped, and I clicked on the darned “Thumbs Down” button instead. What is that all about???

We had 4 aftershocks yesterday, and 3 this morning. The first one work us up just after 5 this morning, this last one made me turn off our gas dryer and put a lock on the gas cooker. I’m ok, hubby phoned during the shaking.

Buddy’s photo is quite big and at the moment I can’t fix the size. Yes it was 10 stars, and thanks again. :)