AdLib On February - 27 - 2011

Though the Oscar show itself is not anticipated to be the most exciting we’ve seen (can’t wait to watch Anne Hathaway deliver hokey puns!) it can still be fun to predict who the top winners will be. So, following are selected categories with the nominees for each. You’re invited to post a comment with your predictions (feel free to copy and paste) and whoever gets the most right gets our award for Best Prognosticator in a Blogging Role:

NOMINEES FOR ACADEMY AWARDS:

Best Picture

• “Black Swan” Mike Medavoy, Brian Oliver and Scott Franklin, Producers
  • “The Fighter” David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Mark Wahlberg, Producers
  • “Inception” Emma Thomas and Christopher Nolan, Producers
  • “The Kids Are All Right” Gary Gilbert, Jeffrey Levy-Hinte and Celine Rattray, Producers
  • “The King’s Speech” Iain Canning, Emile Sherman and Gareth Unwin, Producers
  • “127 Hours” Christian Colson, Danny Boyle and John Smithson, Producers
  • “The Social Network” Scott Rudin, Dana Brunetti, Michael De Luca and Ceán Chaffin, Producers
  • “Toy Story 3” Darla K. Anderson, Producer
  • “True Grit” Scott Rudin, Ethan Coen and Joel Coen, Producers
  • “Winter’s Bone” Anne Rosellini and Alix Madigan-Yorkin, Producers

Directing

• “Black Swan” Darren Aronofsky
  • “The Fighter” David O. Russell
  • “The King’s Speech” Tom Hooper
  • “The Social Network” David Fincher
  • “True Grit” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen

Actor in a Leading Role

• Javier Bardem in “Biutiful”
  • Jeff Bridges in “True Grit”
  • Jesse Eisenberg in “The Social Network”
  • Colin Firth in “The King’s Speech”
  • James Franco in “127 Hours”

Actor in a Supporting Role

• Christian Bale in “The Fighter”
  • John Hawkes in “Winter’s Bone”
  • Jeremy Renner in “The Town”
  • Mark Ruffalo in “The Kids Are All Right”
  • Geoffrey Rush in “The King’s Speech”

Actress in a Leading Role

• Annette Bening in “The Kids Are All Right”
  • Nicole Kidman in “Rabbit Hole”
  • Jennifer Lawrence in “Winter’s Bone”
  • Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”
  • Michelle Williams in “Blue Valentine”

Actress in a Supporting Role

• Amy Adams in “The Fighter”
  • Helena Bonham Carter in “The King’s Speech”
  • Melissa Leo in “The Fighter”
  • Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”
  • Jacki Weaver in “Animal Kingdom”

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

• “127 Hours” Screenplay by Danny Boyle & Simon Beaufoy
  • “The Social Network” Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin
  • “Toy Story 3” Screenplay by Michael Arndt; Story by John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich
  • “True Grit” Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

1. Haruko Haruhara says:

Hah, no one got it.

Russell Crowe (Kiwi/Aussie)
    Anna Paquin (Canadian/Kiwi
    Cate Blanchett (Aussie/American)
    Geoffrey Rush (Aussie)

Errol Flynn never won an Oscar.
    Mel Gibson never won an Oscar for acting and I’m not sure the Aussies really claim him as one of their own anyway.

2. Abbyrose86 says:

OK…where did everyone go….watching the Oscars?

3. Moist Robot says:

Brigitte Bardot and Claudia Cardinale duking it out should win.

4. Haruko Haruhara says:

Two Kiwis and two Aussies have won Academy awards for acting. Can you name them?

• AlphaBitch says:

Without cheating, all I can come up with are: Nicole Kidman (and it SHOULD have gone to Salma Hayek that year -- sorry!) and Russell Crowe. Wasn’t Mr. Crowe born in NZ and reared in Australia? How will he count?

Hmmm….that leaves two.

Given current world events, I say Algeria’s submission ‘Outside the Law’ should win best Foreign.

I know, I’m a commie. I love foreign film.

And hokey pun or not, I don’t care. She’s purdy.

6. Haruko Haruhara says:

It’s Oscar time!

border=0>

7. Abbyrose86 says:

For Directing…I must go with the following nominees

The Koch brothers…for their fine directing off the “Teaparty”

Karl Rove…for his outstanding direction of propaganda and making it acceptable again. (way to go, KARL!)

Orly Taitz…for her direction of the birther movement.

Mark Williams…for his direction of the NY City Mosque battle (that wasn’t even relevant to anything…but made headlines)

Terry Jones…for leading a ridiculous movement to burn the Koran in protest of the the bombings of 9/11 and the subsequent building of a Mosque BLOCKS away from the World trade center.

8. TakeInAPlay says:

Best Cinematography: True Grit

I’ve got money on this so I hope I’m right. {{ Fingers Crossed }}

9. I don’t see them listed as nominated, but here are my picks:

John Boehner -- most emo moment in legislative history
    Mitch O’Connell -- best supporting role in misinformation
    Maggie Gallagher -- Best actress in a homophobic role
    Orly Taits -- best supporting actress in an ongoing hate crime

I’d list more, but I just got up.

My picks:

Best Picture
    * “The King’s Speech”

Directing
    * “The Social Network” David Fincher

Actor in a Leading Role
    * Colin Firth in “The King’s Speech”

Actor in a Supporting Role
    * Christian Bale in “The Fighter”

Actress in a Leading Role
    * Natalie Portman in “Black Swan”

Actress in a Supporting Role
    * Hailee Steinfeld in “True Grit”

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
    * “The Social Network” Screenplay by Aaron Sorkin

Writing (Original Screenplay)
    * “The King’s Speech” Screenplay by David Seidler

Documentary (Feature)
    * “Inside Job” Charles Ferguson and Audrey Marrs

11. Haruko Haruhara says:

Actually, I don’t really care about the Oscars that much except I want the little girl to win.

12. FlyingLotus says:

I can’t think straight.The constant presence of helicopters has left me with a whirring noise betwixt me ears.That and the fact I haven’t seen all the entries, but I agree with Jenuwin, re; Biutiful and Bardem.

13. Gransview says:

True Grit probably won’t win, but it was my favorite movie this year. I hope that 14 yr old Hailee Steinfeld wins Best Supporting Actress.

The King’s Speech was great as well. I bet it gets the most awards.

14. Jenuwin says:

Would like to see “Biutiful” or “Outside the Law” wind for Best Foreign Language Film” and Jarvier Bardem Best Actor. Best picture….only an outside chance, but “Inception”.