Chernynkaya On February - 9 - 2011

This is not the usual post, but I thought I’d make it one so that it could be easily referenced and not lost on a thread.

These are a few tips that helped me when I was new here, in addition to the FAQ’s. Bito, AdLib–anyone!–please feel free to add any others you think are helpful too.

Cool things to do with text in your comments.

HTML element– An overview for the nerdiest.

Using Smilies!

WordPress Shortcodes

Adding Images to a post

PlanetPov.com- housekeeping

And to add your avatar:

To select an image for yourself, go to http://en.gravatar.com/site/signup and register the same email address you used here when you signed up. After responding to a confirmation email from Gravatar, you can select an image from your computer or the internet to assign to your email address and that image will appear here with your user name (and on any other Gravatar-friendly sites you visit).

boomer1949 says:

One more thingy…

Questions, comments, and suggestions should be posted at the Help Desk. Scroll up and on the right you’ll find the link to the Help Desk. It’s the big red “Help” button; looks like that “Easy” button many of us have seen.

This will ensure The Planet Admins. see your questions, comments, and suggestions and avoid something important from being buried or mistakenly overlooked.

From AdLib

You can check a member’s posts and comments in two ways:

1. To check the most recent posts and comments of a member:

Click on “Member Directory” at the top of the page, click on a member and their 10 most recent posts and comments will be displayed.

2. To see all posts or comments of a member:

Place your cursor on “Archive” at the top of the page then click on “PlanetPOV Stats” in the dropdown menu. Scroll down past various stats to the Comments or Posts section, click on a member and all of their posts or comments will be displayed.

Keep in mind, all of these functions have been in place, when we changed servers last week and experienced a variety of issues, we had to remove them. I have been slowly adding them back in now that the site has stabilized, just to make sure it doesn’t trigger any issues.

More will be coming, hopefully star ratings for posts and thumbs up and downs for comments soon.

Adding a YouTube video into your comments:

Simple! Just add the letter “v” right after the http and before the colon—like this

Httpv://

And the video will appear in your comment.

For videos from any source other than YouTube, instead of adding the “v”, just put the name of the site then the video number only within square brackets like this:

[whateverthesiteis 1938095]

Now, let’s blog our butts off!

Written by Chernynkaya

I am an artist and have lived in Los Angeles all of my life, except for a brief hippie period when I lived in SF. I am currently (semi-unwillingly) retired, but have had several careers.

1. Emerald1943 says:

Hey guys…sorry to bother you but I have another cool update for the American Dream Conference. Can you add it please? Thanks!

2. KB723 says:

bito, Khirad, I posted a pic, Or tried to on An Avatar by any other name. Can you please post it for me. AdLib said If I posted an image code it would show, but I must have done something wrong. Thanks.

3. pfz says:

I can’t seem to find a way to check responses to posts i have made or to rejoin threads where I left off without scrolling through. Am I missing something? Or is that not possible.

• Chernynkaya says:

@ pfz--Basically, no. You need to check all the threads where you commented. If you were on OT, go there and scroll--likewise whatever other thread you were on. One thing you can also do is go the the far right and see the sidebar that says “links for pfz.” Then click “Dashboard” and you’ll see some comments, but not old ones. Sorry.

• celere says:

Is there a discussion thread list somewhere? I’m lost trying to navigate around. Just learned how to revisit the places I’ve been recently by clicking on my name in the member directory, but it would be great to see what all is out there. Is that possible?

• jdmn17 says:

Celere There are two ways I get around. The first is I look to the right and see recent comments. That tells me where the “Action” is. The second it the blog roster. I think they are listed from most to least active. Someone correct me please

Last but not least, Cher taught me to put the name of the person I’m responding to first in my reply, then you can look at recent comments and see who is writing you.

I’m here now ten days and it gets easier. Still miss some comments but not many.

Welcome and enjoy

Check out how to add a gravatar as well

• celere says:

Jdmn, thank you! The recent comment list is easy to find, but…where is the “blog roster?” There’s a “Blog Roll” on the right, but it lists outside sites.

I very much appreciate your welcome and will keep trying to find my way. 😉

4. celere says:

Hi, folks. I want to thank the person who told me about this site. It’s nice to see familiar names and to know there is a place where we are free to discuss what’s going on at hp. That site had so much potential, could have done SO MUCH good. But something happened. It is such as waste, so sad. I suspect “someone” got power hungry. A real shame.

• KB723 says:

celere, just remember to look up to the right comments box, It helps to know when folks are talking to you. If you are wondering about your av, there should be info “O” plenty above. 😎

• KB723 says:

celere, Welcome, glad you found your way to the Planet.

• celere says:

Thanks KB. The navigation has me stymied so far, but that’s no biggie.

• KB723 says:

celere, I am off to bed. Nice to see you again. Best Wishes, have a great evening and an enchanting tomorrow. 😎

I only knew you were Lisa cos I fanned you back there. You were a buzy body. I canceled my fan to you, but did the same with others…. Many folks never seemed to check their preferences?

• celere says:

Thanks, KB723. Sorry to be so late in responding; I still get lost around here. I’m in the dark about your references to “buzy body” and “checking preferences.” Could you explain them to me? No problem about unfanning me. I recall unfanning two people, one because he/she was SO hostile toward me, and one because he/she turned out to be a complete rightwinger. Basically, I see fanning as a way of marking a person politically progressive, so it helps in knowing where they stand. I never think of it as merely liking or not liking a person or trying to hurt anyone.

• zootliberal says:

Hi Celere, great to have you here, truly a wonderful site. and we know what you are talking about re: HP, such a waste of a good opportunity.

(thanks goodness for the edit comment)

Uh oh, you and boomer might have to share an avvy.

If I’m remembering you right, that is. 😉

5. OutToLunch says:

I feel a little like Dorothy from Kansas, coming here….suddenly, everything’s in colors…

6. coffeegod says:

Thanks for the directions! I was a little lost but I’m much better now.

• boomer1949 says:

Welcome to The Planet coffegod!! We are sooo glad you are here. Not sure where you are, but we have Spa robes, fuzzy slippers, Green Tea, Martinis, and/or Hot Chocolate. Pick your poison. If it ain’t on the menu, we’ll discuss.

• Chernynkaya says:

Glad to hear that, coffeegod! Welcome.

7. Redemption Song II says:

HELLLLLP!!!

I read the following (for turning off smilies):

1.Go to your Admin Panel
    2.Select Settings -> Writing
    3.In the Formatting section, uncheck the box for “Convert emoticons like :-) and 😛 to graphics on display”

But I haven’t a clue where to find the “Administrator’s Panel”--does anyone out there know? :(

• bito says:

Redemption, that info is for admins only. It can be turned on/off depending if the adimin wants them to function on the site. As you can tell ours is turned on. ;-):-D

• Redemption Song II says:

Ooooh: I assumed “admin” referred to the administrator for one’s PC (in cases in which a password is used for access). Is there a code I can use in the text dialogue box as to not have my smilies turn into to (admittedly sunny) little yellow faces? *smiles*

• bito says:

Redemption, may I assume you are using these? http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Smilies If so they should work. Make sure you have a space before you type the code.
          EDIT: misread, sorry. You do not want them. ?? I don’t know? Don’t use them. LOL

• Redemption Song II says:

Ha! (Oh, jeez. What can I say? I’m just a grinner. *smiles*)

No problems, ref. misunderstaning--I don’t want to use ’em. The URL you’ve referrenced contains directions for how individual users can turn off the smilie feature…I’m just not savvy enough to go where they tell you to go…and so it goes.

• PocketWatch says:

I must have seen reference to it when I cruised through all the WordPress docs… LOL

• PocketWatch says:

I’m trying to find it… I know I saw it… try the Help Desk…

I’m curious, too!

• KB723 says:

Redemption, Look for AdLib on A Short list of Obamas accomplishment.

8. ghsts says:

Great help, like many I should have read this first. Nice to see all the émigrés.

9. 2belinda says:

I promised myself I would close my account at HP on the day Egypt was liberated. Done and done.

Feels good.

10. Aerows says:

Thanks for the tips, especially how to use my Avatar. It looks like all the people from HP have moved over here. I decided to join you all, too.

11. emmanuel_goldstein says:

Thanks for a place to learn and share my thoughts. A step up from the Huffington Post for sure.

12. Arizona Annie says:

Thanks, as usual for your helpful posts and thoughtful comments. It’s great to join so many of my HP fellows/gals on here!

13. MossyOak says:

Thanks Chern! It’s WONDERFUL to find all my HP friends on PlanetPOV! It’s been a bummer of a week, but also a growth period,forcing us to move on and out of our comfort zones.

14. audadvnc says:

Yep, I just boarded the boat over here too. Haven’t informed the gatekeepers at CorpsePost yet, but they’ll never miss me anyway. I was just another troublemaker, asking the wrong questions.

edit: Hey, you guys allow edits! This is better all by itself! PlanetFTW!