bito On November - 11 - 2010

Tax Revenue Decline

Since the election I have heard the phrase “the will of the people” form many a House Republican.  “We will do the will of the people!”  “We were elected to do the will of the …….” I wish I had one of those Goldline coins for every time I  heard that line.  The microphones banks are set up, the interviews from Fox are ready to go.

And yet, I also hear, “We must make the Bush tax cuts permanent!  The Will of the People! We can’t raise taxes now!

Question, Sir: Will you compromise on extending the cuts for those under 250,000 dollars and let them expire for the top 20%?

Answer: We have a mandate to follow the Will of the People!  We can’t allow taxes being raised on anyone!!!

What exactly do the people think?  What is their “will?”  Are you talking to “other” people?
snapshot

snapshot 2

Thanks to Center for American Progress

Public Opinion Snapshot: Tax Cuts for the Middle Class Are Good; Tax Cuts for the Rich Are Bad

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1. bitohistory says:

Wonder how that “repeal ObamaCare” is working for the “Doing the Will of the People?”

” alt=”hcr” />

Will Repealing Health Care Reform be a Winning Issue for the Republicans?

2. PatsyT says:

Bito, It’s pony time for John Boehner !
    But I think he will will be an ass instead.

3. bitohistory says:

OMG!! It’s anti-incumbent fever!! The T-Party sweep!! New faces in Washington will control Congress!! Right? We have all heard it!

” alt=”thumb” />

The Monkey Cage
    2010 Was a Pretty Good Year for Incumbents After All

These facts are really getting to me!! Can’t I just watch the tube and be done with it?

We are in an era when anger, fear and resentment trump respect or desire for truth.

On one hand, we now have a mainstream corporate/government propaganda channel that regularly injects disinformation into the pool of public discourse so that truth can be reduced to appearing as oppositional propaganda.

On the other hand, thanks to this internet thing, the truth is not so hard to discover and yet too many people are so lazy, they would rather buy their opinions from their favorite corporate retailer.

Man, do we need a new Age of Enlightenment!

5. bitohistory says:

Is this the “people” that I keep hearing about, the blackmailers? Wall Street and Chamber of Commerce keeps talking about for them to invest in the economy they “need reassurance.” Or what? We will move off-shore? We will take our profits to a tax-free haven?

What do they want? Zero taxes? Non-Union employees without pensions or health-care?
    And what do the 98% get in return?

Who needs to reassure whom?

Sometimes, the reassurance needed is that government spending will be cut. Other times, the reassurance is that tax loopholes (like that for taxing the income of hedge fund managers at lower rates) will not be closed. More recently, market players have wanted reassurance that neither the President nor members of the Administration will make rude personal remarks about them…..
    We won

• choicelady says:

bito -- very revealing info, but in response to your (probably rhetorical) query: “What do they want? Zero taxes” Non-union employees without pension or health care?” The answer is: YES. That is what they want. Their hero is William McKinley. They want the age of the Robber Barons back.

Of course the upper middle think they can survive, too, but in fact they will be shoved down to Bob Cratchit wages and standards of living. Bob was not poor because of lack of skills -- he was the chief CPA for Scrooge. He was poor because he had to take what Scrooge doled out, period. That’s the goal. Forward to the Past! What was good enough for Vanderbilt and J.P. Morgan should be good enough for America!

6. VegasBabe says:

Khirad
    The RW makes shit up everyday and besides a few folks like KO, RM, JS, no one cares and more people of the same persuasion seem to readily believe and embrace whatever they say. I’ve never seen anything like.

I love all those mom & pop businesses making more than 250k, too.

What I do admire about the right wing machine is that ability to take an issue polling poorly and pounding away at it until it is polling favorably, no matter how dishonest they have to be…

And, did anyone hear Christine O’Donnell on Leno bemoaning the “death tax”? Honey, you’re gonna need some magic to have to worry about that. This is the measure of the corporatists’ success.

Death tax has become presented as the problem of the everyman as has tax breaks for the top 2%. Seriously, their messaging is brutally efficient, and effective. -- and that pisses me off to no end.

It’s not ethical, but the way the RW keeps making shit up and never having to retract it because a week or two later the media’s forgotten about it, I say the left start doing diversionary tactics too. What it is is making the opposition spend time debunking non-issues, thus bleeding them of time and energy and throwing static into any policy debate. I’m tired of only being on the receiving end of this.

And yet, I still just couldn’t be comfortable with a party that resorted to that level -- though in general I have no qualms playing dirty. I think with Dems it would lose them credibility with their base, whereas with Repubs, it only riles them up more… *sigh*

{{I appear to have gone off on a random thought there.}} 😆

• bitohistory says:

Not a random thought at all, Khirad. I will respond more later, but right now, I have to go to bed (I’m still adjusting to our time change 😉 )