AdLib On October - 30 - 2010

Click the link below to watch The Rally to Resotire Sanity live:

Categories: Humor, News & Politics

Someone sent me this analysis of the rally, written by Chris Hedges. I wonder if there’s any validity to this point of view?

Politics in America has become spectacle. It is another form of show business. The crowd in Washington, well trained by television, was conditioned to play its role before the cameras. The signs

Not that it should matter over the content, but the same aerial crowd estimates CBS did for Beck’s rally at 87,000 put this one at 215,000.

Some here have mentioned wanting to read the transcript of Jon Stewart’s speech. Here’s an unofficial transcript courtesy Rolling Stone, the NYT and Examiner.com:

I can’t control what people think this was. I can only tell you my intentions. This was not a rally to ridicule people of faith. Or people of activism or to look down our noses at the heartland or passionate argument or to suggest that times are not difficult and that we have nothing to fear. They are and we do. But we live now in hard times, not end times. And we can have animus and not be enemies.

Unfortunately, one of our main tools in delineating the two broke. The country’s 24-hour politico pundit panic conflict-onator did not cause our problems, but its existence makes solving them that much harder. The press can hold its magnifying glass up to our problems and illuminate problems heretofore unseen, or it can use its magnifying glass to light ants on fire, and then perhaps host a week of shows on the sudden, unexpected dangerous-flaming-ant epidemic. If we amplify everything, we hear nothing.

There are terrorists and racists and Stalinists and theocrats, but those are titles that must be earned. You must have the resume. Not being able to distinguish between real racists and tea partiers, or real bigots and Juan Williams and Rich Sanchez is an insult — not only to those people, but to the racists themselves, who have put forth the exhausting effort it takes to hate. Just as the inability to distinguish between terrorists and Muslims makes us less safe, not more.

The press is our immune system. If it overreacts to everything we eventually get sicker. And perhaps eczema. Yet, with that being said, I feel good. Strangely, calmly good, because the image of Americans that is reflected back to us by our political and media process is false. It is us through a funhouse mirror, and not the good kind that makes you slim and taller — but the kind where you have a giant forehead and an ass like a pumpkin and one eyeball.

So, why would we work together? Why would you reach across the aisle to a pumpkin assed forehead eyeball monster? If the picture of us were true, our inability to solve problems would actually be quite sane and reasonable. Why would you work with Marxists actively subverting our Constitution or racists and homophobes who see no one

From the Rally -- photo from the Comedy Central site:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Always the bridesmaid, never the bride, I was told to come back later to watch clips from the rally. Who do I have to bribe to get to see what I want to see, and how much does it cost?

Can’t we just behave and all have the same time zone?

“Judy McGrath, the chief executive of Viacom’s MTV Networks unit, said she had been told by the Parks Service that there were “well over 200,000 people” in attendance.”

Oh, and by the way, while there were many spry looking youth there, I’m now sick of the under 30 meme of Jon Stewart’s audience. I know demographically that is generally true, but I saw all races, probably all religious views and all ages there in the crowd.

Here it is, Jon Stewart’s speech at the end of the rally:

8. bitohistory says:

Now we are all k’es on Vox. Pizza is on her! :-)

Holy crap! I just checked my VISA account and there’s a charge for $3548.57 worth of pizza!! What the…..??

I knew I should’ve stayed home to keep an eye on things!

But no-- here I am at my Pricelined hotel, with the fave 4th grader, celebrating a good report card at a place with an indoor pool — and everything goes to pot. (Literally?)

I have to say, they have great wifi here, though! Now back to playing the bed jumping game! (C’mon, confess up…you’ve all done it.)

$3548.57 worth of pizza, what was on it, imported caviar?

Wasn’t me, I keep mine in the freezer.

Once my favourite pass time, jumping up and down on the bed.:)

Have lots of fun kes.

Thank you, Kalima! We’re winding down now. Watched some cartoons in bed via Netflix online. I’ve never gone to bed with SpongeBob Squarepants before. I hope he doesn’t snore…

• PatsyT says:

Hey, how did I land in Ohio?

9. Haruko Haruhara says:

That was fun. Now we play soccer.

Dayyum, this speech Jon is giving is good!!!

I need to see a transcript of this later.

• PatsyT says:

Yep, sometimes the promised land is just New Jersey !

“When we amplify everything, we hear nothing.”

“The exhausting effort it takes to hate…”

“The press is our immune system…”

There were too many. I already forgot some of the early ones.

Need a transcript.

Right after I clicked to MSNBC -- “Abdul Mutallab” Clicked to FOX “terrorist” [I’m not kidding, this is what I heard for real click from one channel to the other quickly] and then I landed on CNN, and Dana Bash was trying to make sense of the message, after the guy told her -- they were beating up the MSM.

Like they’d ever take the fracking hint.

I never want this to end and Tuesday to come.

I’ve had genuine feelings of warmth and hope again.

And in the back of my head -- seeing Congress in the background….

Is Obama supposed to make an appearance? Or did I miss it?

I haven’t heard anything about that, but they seemed to have kept the wraps on a lot of stars so far.

• bitohistory says:

Has AH made an appearance? I hope I missed her.

I haven’t seen her, but I briefly flipped to PuffyHo and it is a photo collage that should be entitled: “Homage to Aryana.” Many, many pics of the Princess uneasily sidling down the bus aisles, trying not to make contact with the riff-raff, or even touch anything bussy and germy.

13. Haruko Haruhara says: