PatsyT On October - 8 - 2010

Multi National Corporations may be trying to buy elections

in America via the Chamber of Commerce,

but let’s not let that stop us from enjoying music from all over the world.

Old and new,

modern or traditional,

Share you favorites   ~ World Music

Ofra Haza

Brazil 66 Mas Que Nada

Black Eyed Peas version

Kal Ho Na hoo   – Mahi Ve

Chak De  – Hum Tum

Traditional Music From China – Flute Banjo Citer and Erhu

France Gall  from 1964 Lassisse Tomber Les Filles

Miriam Chemmoss- Rudi

From Scandanavia Velvet Fix Me

Shakira

Lady Ga Ga is Lighting the World on Fire!

Bad Romance

David Bisbal Boom Boom

SHINee LUCIFER from Korea – notice the cars

Super Juinor Sorry Sorry

Categories: Music Thread

Written by PatsyT

Mary Poppins said, "Practically perfect in every way" Today, I say, "Practically progressive in every way"

1. PatsyT says:

World Music can be so much more then location or time …
    it can also be about a universal soul
    This composer has an incredible story

JOAQUIN RODRIGO VIDRE
    Marquis of Jardines de Aranjuez
    1901-1999

Joaqu

Pournami -- Bharatha Vedamuga

Om Namah Shivaya!

Ostad Mohammad Reza Shajarian -- Morgh-e Sahar (Bird of Dawning)

3. PepeLepew says:

Traditional Cree from Northern Canada:

4. bitohistory says:

She was on NPR, I can’t find the song they featured on the world music segment…..

Arabian music Natasha Atlas When I Close My Eyes

Long ago and far away in Germany there was a little ditty for violin, written by someone named Herr Bach.

Flying fingers is an understatement:

• PatsyT says:

Ahhh Kes, that Bach is one of pieces my daughter has played.
      I believe that is Hillary Hahn playing
      Check out Hillary Hahn playing the only Concerto that
      Finnish Composer Jean Sibelius ever wrote.
      Premiered in 1904

Patsy, your daughter must be amazingly skilled! (Does she have anything on You Tube? I’d love to listen to her.)

That is indeed Hillary Hahn. Is it fair that one person can be so beautiful and so talented at the same time?

• bitohistory says:

K’es, Bach, Brahms are you sure you’re not Lutheran? 😆

6. boomer1949 says:

Love Perpetuum Jazille from Slovenia…so incredibly disappointed when their US tour was postponed…

7. Haruko Haruhara says:

A very famous Kiwi/Maori song:

Pokarekare Ana

Here is a piece to celebrate your evening. A favourite of mine. Debussy-Clair de Lune

Our brothers and sisters in Hungary have had a bad week. So this is for them.

A friend gave me a recording of this melody years ago. If any of you have ever done choral singing, you’ll be able to tell how amazingly difficult this piece is and how easy these young girls make it look.

10. boomer1949 says:

From Raise the Red Lantern (1991) movie…one of my favorite films…

boomer, don’t you wonder how Asian women singers get that childlike quality to their voices? It’s very charming, but I think my voice pitch was lower than that when I was 9 years old!

• boomer1949 says:

Kes,

Heck, I’ve been an Soprano wannabe my entire life, Didn’t even help when the hormones kicked in and must be the reason it took so long to have my 2.5 kids. 😆

You really need to see the movie. Takes place in the 1920’s. Can’t remember if it was shot in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

Alto all the way here, boomer!

I’ll have to get the movie onto my Netflix queue — which is getting ridiculously long. I’ve had “Ghost in a Shell II, Innocence” here at home for about 10 days and have only watched about 1/2 hour of it! At that rate, I’ll finish it by Thanksgiving.

• boomer1949 says:

I always wondered if it would help by sticking my fingers in an electrical outlet… 😆

Warming up for the weekend, eh?

I’ve thought of asking the neighborhood cats if any of them give singing lessons… 😀

I knew three weeks ago it would be beautiful this weekend. How did I know this?
              Because I was scheduled to work!

A friend is working Sunday for me (traded for the following Saturday), though, so I’m probably going to the Apple Festival near here. Fun!

11. Haruko Haruhara says:

This is a really cool Japanese pop band called The Pillows:

This is a cool Kiwi pop band called Garageland:

12. PatsyT says:

The Lady GaGa of Korea
    BoA Hurricane Venus

A tribute to the globally minded John Lennon on what would have been his 70th birthday:

Power to the People -- John Lennon