AdLib On September - 18 - 2010

BREAKING NEWS!!!

Just in! The Planet has just received this startling footage of a Tea Party rally where they have turned on their candidate for Senate in Delaware, Christine O’Donnell after revelations that she admitted to being a witch!

On Real Time with Bill Maher, Maher showed footage from an episode of his old show, Politically Incorrect, on which Christine O’Donnell was a guest and admitted to being a witch, hanging out with witches and going on her first date with a male witch who performed a satanic ritual using live animal blood on the date.

The Tea Party rally she attended today went awry after this explosive news broke, as the footage below displays:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm557BmzS-E[/youtube]

Categories: Elections, GOP, Humor, POV Videos

1. bitohistory says:

Now at 25,000+ hits!!!!

2. bitohistory says:

Just saying. Meet your new Statesman, stand aside all you Madisons, Jeffersons and Franklins this is our new patriot, our interpreter, our oracle for the future.

O

Is Stephen Colbert a witch? Can he magically read our minds (or watch our YouTube videos)? Go to 2:58 in this clip from his show last night and you decide!

The Colbert Report Mon -- Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
    Christine O’Donnell Witch Test
    Colbert Report Full Episodes 2010 Election Fox News

Christine O’Donnell Angers Wiccan Community with “Witchcraft” Comments

I so knew this was coming. Wiccans deal with this crap on a routine basis, and in a way, this Christine O’Donnell thing SHOULD be treated as a teachable moment, as Rev. Fox said.

Laughing at this like ‘refudiated’ is cool with me. I do it too. But for the longest time I was the only one (it seemed) who honed in past the ‘folksylogism’ and saw how offensive the REST of what Palin (or her ghost-tweeter) said was (that is, asking “peaceful Muslims” to “refudiate” a Sufi Imam who worked for the Bush admin).

I preachified on this particular case enough below, but please do take time to learn something of Wicca just as you would of Islam, if you are unfamiliar with it. And, covens are a beautiful thing. They are more akin to a scene from the Ya-Ya Sisterhood than one from MacBeth or Faust. Not sayin’ this is a no-fun zone, I’m just sayin’. Just be aware of the actual circumstance in addition to the pop cultural stereotype.

The kind of thing that O’Donnell said is tantamount to a slur -- and it is a recurrent one in her fundamentalist circles (these are the people that want Harry Potter banned). It’s also like mistaking a Sikh for a Muslim. Wrong ‘alternative’ religion, dear. And no, neither do blood sacrifice.

I guess what I’m trying to say is: there are just SO MANY levels of wrong to what O’Donnell said. And that she’s nothing more than an insane, brainwashed media whore. May the Goddess forgive her.

This has made this common misconception about Witches buzzworthy, and raised their profile. The question is: is anyone paying attention to the bigger picture?

(sorry again if I’m being a buzzkill) :-)

• choicelady says:

The problem as I perceive it is that she was NOT practicing Wicca but Satanism, and that is an entirely different kettle of fish. Wicca is indeed, as MTW below says, totally inoffensive. Satanism is not. It’s nasty, and she dabbled in that in serious and significant ways. I am entirely of the opinion that whatever floats your boat spiritually is fine with me, with this ONE exception -- if it lifts up anger and evil or does harm, then NO WAY. That, of course, allows me to put both Satanism AND pre-dispensational Dominionist Christianity into the same package since both think they have the right to kill people off. I frankly understand why she’d gravitate to this version of Christianity -- it’s Satanism with a better PR rep. It worships evil and calls on the Dark Arts all in the name of Jesus but in fact is not OF Jesus in any way shape or form. Nice little segue for her to achieve some sort of respectability without fundamental change in her values. That, in my book, makes her very creepy.

• Mightywoof says:

I hear what you’re saying Khirad -- I know/knew a Wiccan from a now defunct forum and she explained what it was and what the beliefs are. Incredibly non-offensive and spiritual -- unlike Dumb Christine and her ilk.

Stephen Colbert ran the same (but much shorter) bit from Holy Grail tonight in reference to the Christine O’Donnell witchcraft clip.

Great minds think alike…or the theft of the century?!!! I will post the clip when it becomes available…you decide!!!

6. bitohistory says:

Best line I heard today: What the line ‘But, I didn’t join a coven’ is the new ‘But, I didn’t inhale’? 😆

Christine O’Donnell and Al Franken on Politically Incorrect discussing sex outside marriage.

She’s not even that likable in my opinion. She takes spunky to 11, where it stops being cute and just becomes annoying.

That was painful to watch, Khirad, especially speaking as a woman. That “Star” person and O’Donnell were the conversational Mack trucks on a highway of Smart Cars (well, with the exception of Ricky Schroder). I wish I could say they’re anomalies, but I’m finding the same thing in the “real world” (??) around me. Women in their 30s and 40s — often reasonably attractive — who are that dreadful combination of ill-informed and extremely aggressive, to the point of genuine belligerence. It’s actually impossible to have a conversation with them. They won’t allow it. It must be their monolog with everyone else as (often involuntary) audience. They’ll take the platform at family gatherings, church and social events and declaim their politics loudly. Sometimes in situations in which you really only want to find out what’s going on in your friends/family members’ lives, and not much more. I wish they would go away — all of them — to a place where they can speechify to each other and leave the rest of us out of it!

W-T-F.

Republicans doubt she can win, and even her supporters acknowledge O’Donnell does not appear quite ready for prime time. Yet they see her imperfections -- along with emerging disclosures about personal financial troubles, controversial stands and questions about her own biography -- as another reason to vote for her.

“That’s like me,” said Alice Williams, who has operated an appliance shop with her husband, Joe, in Wilmington for nearly 30 years. “She’s going to vote the way I want her to vote. I’m not looking for someone to wow me with professionalism.”

{{{FACEPALM}}}

• choicelady says:

Oh Patsy -- I read that as “Karl Rove is still not CONVICTED.

Wishful thinking…

• bitohistory says:

Seems that Bill isn’t either.

Kristol Calls Christine O

“I know Sarah Palin. I respect Sarah Palin. And with all due respect — Christine O’Donnell is no Sarah Palin.”

Of all his statements that had to be one of Kristol’s best (and by “best” I mean most staggeringly stupid).

• bitohistory says:

Khirad, do you think it might be nice to know what her actual views are on governance? Can she even articulate an answere on whether she want s to repeal all of the Financial Regulation Act ( Dodd-Frank Bill), including consumer protections?
          How about when she says repeal the HCR bill? Again all of it , including pre-existing conditions? Social Security? Medicare, CHIP……..? The list goes on about what she needs to be asked.

The list goes on! Good Grief, you have done a wonderful task of presenting some history of what shaped and changed this country in your posts on your travels.
          Ask yourself, is this a future Great Senator that will be forever remembered in history?

And she’ll just dodge them and talk straight to the “real” Americans. But that is something the Dems should do a better job of, and they’ve tepidly started -- let’s not count on the press. Would you also repeal those specific things in HCR? Let’s make the choice clearer. For kids to be kicked back off of their parent’s insurance, etc? I read in that that when asked a Foreign Policy question she looked straight down to her notes and read what was pretty much a statement. So, she at least appears to be more coachable than Palin. She has been a go-to media spokesmodel for Christian Conservatism for more than 15 years, after all. She can deliver her lines. Can she think on her feet or demonstrate that she knows what she’s reading? I doubt it. Will she ever allow herself into a situation like this though? I doubt that as well. Of course, but for a damaging soundbyte this should already be obvious (but alas either isn’t, or is a plus to some people).

9. boomer1949 says:

So… can they do THIS ?

There needs to be a new edit function: L&P, aka Lift & Paste .

Too bad Christine doesn’t know witches can be patriotic, too.

11. PepeLepew says:

“She turned me into Newt Gingrich!”

• boomer1949 says:

It’s what happens when one cooks… 😆

2nd Witch:
      “Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
      Wool of bat, and tongue of dog,
      Adder’s fork, and blind-worm’s sting,
      Lizard’s leg, and howlet’s wing,--
      For a charm of powerful trouble,
      Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.”
      Macbeth (IV, i, 14-15)

Okay, read this AP “news” item and tell me if you see the same right wing spin on this “reporting” as I do (even the choice of headline is a tip off…”Digs up”?):

Bill Maher digs up O’Donnell ‘witchcraft’ clip

By NAFEESA SYEED, Associated Press Writer

Oh my god. Like, cry me a river, Ms. Syeed. Yes, finding ‘unflattering’ things one might have said not a decade ago is so unfair. Especially since, I doubt she’s changed her story. Whackiness like that just doesn’t go away.

13. PatsyT says:

Wow, she is starting off her campaign with an amazing media blitz !
    Even though she cancelled her Sunday Talk Show appearances, she is still everywhere!
    But some are objecting to her positions ….