AdLib On August - 27 - 2010

Saturday marks the anniversary of Martin Luther King’s “I Have a Dream” speech. Beck and Palin may hope to hijack it but they haven’t a “prayer”.

So, to celebrate the man and his powerful, historic speech, today’s theme is about hope, dreams and caring about things that matter.

What else could I lead with than this?

Imagine – John Lennon

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okd3hLlvvLw[/youtube]

All you Need is Love – The Beatles

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTF_wJW7N4g[/youtube]

Peace Train – Cat Stevens

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sjSHazjrWg[/youtube]

Teach Your Children Well – CSN

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9Az6S1nus[/youtube]

In Dreams – Roy Orbison

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbxsmcT7GOk[/youtube]

Dream a Little Dream – Louis Armstrong

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-xzfwDAn1I[/youtube]

Categories: Music Thread

1. bitohistory says:

Never head of her until a few minutes ago, reminds me of Laura Nyro in the ’70’s. Her name is Sara Bareilles.

But then when you listen to Laura….Wow!!

2. dildenusa says:

There is no end time. Time just goes on. The idea is for us to be there in the dream time.

3. dildenusa says:

Written in 1976 and performed live in 1978. I believe that Jackson is a prophet. Check out the slide guitar.

4. javaz says:

And this is what I feel exactly about it all --

REBEL YELL!

5. boomer1949 says:

My Dear Johnny Adlibseed, I realize you posted this(sans Young), yet there is something missing from the original version,harmony-wise at least. So please give me a break, after all I am older than you 😆
    Actually, I believe my ex-hubby and I once owned the vinyl record version. Makes no difference who, what, when, or where it has been sung, the freakin’ message remains the same. Your daughter is 7 and my grand kids are 8, 5, and 3. The feelings are mutual and mine are probably more intense because I’ve been there once already. :smile:

As adults, why do we do this to the innocent children in this world? Why?

there is Josh Groban and what has come to be his signature song. First experienced Josh when he appeared, at the age of 18 or so, on Ally McBeal. You Raise Me Up speaks volumes about grownups and how we do or do not set an example for our children. Children learn by example…

6. javaz says:

OMG

Back in our day, when my husband and I went back to our Catholic upbringing, we re-joined the Catholic Church and it was all because we found a Catholic Church in our area that had a very liberal priest.

And that priest gave sermons as no other priest had ever done throughout our lives.
    (my husband was an altar boy and his uncle is a priest now retired, but his uncle married us, and we were the first and only people in the family to marry in the Catholic Church and his uncle was so proud)

That priest is no longer a priest because he was liberal and suspected of being gay but that’s an entirely different story.

While we were members of that church, we played guitar for the catechism classes and belonged to the choir and we had a wonderful and talented music director, and we also had a wonderful choir that we were so proud to be a part.

Our church choir was asked to perform at a MLK day celebration in Mesa at the community center, and for the very first time in my life, I got it.

MLK’s message.

They played the speech and I was young when Martin Luther King first gave that speech, but at that time years later, I finally listened and heard the message and the moving words from a great man of peace.

The songs we sang as a choir were these :

Pete Seeger -- We Shall Overcome --

Needless to say, we are no longer practicing Catholics, but those memories will always live in our hearts of when we truly believed that the Catholic Church spoke for us and to us.