AdLib On August - 13 - 2010

You’ve blogged about important issues all week, you’ve earned a chance to relax and recharge. It’s Music Time.

So, this week’s theme for this thread is all about putting aside the weight of the world’s events for a while and just enjoying being alive on this amazing Planet. Share the songs that just make you happy, that make you want to dance, make you smileΒ  and make you sing along every time!

I’ll kick off my picks with one that’s become one of my 7 year old’s favorite songs, she calls it “The Big Baby” song because of the CD’s cover art:

Tubthumping – Chumbawamba

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc[/youtube]

What a Wonderful World – Joey Ramone

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IoO5nkxT_4[/youtube]

Mr. Blue Sky – ELO

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98P-gu_vMRc[/youtube]

Brand New Day – Sting

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA46ZNjrzeY[/youtube]

All You Need is Love – The Beatles

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llrAemrsKG0[/youtube]

Categories: Music Thread

1. javaz says:

Partying by myself on a Saturday night!

One of my fave shows was Coupling, so:

Cake -- Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps

And, the Mari Wilson

3. bitohistory says:

There’s sad blues, then there is this.

Grinderswitch
    Picken the Blues

4. bitohistory says:

And a one-an a two an a three….

Everybody dance!! πŸ˜†

Everybody sing! Pennsylvania karaoke! πŸ˜€

5. HITO says:

I’m spackling and painting a bit tonight, and have listened to Ricki all the while. Excellent voice, and thoughtful lyrics.

Ricki Lee Jones
    Satellites

We were born forever
    We are twinned in a fugitive mind
    Friends should stay together and
    Light the world with the fugitive kind

So you keep talking in many languages
    Telling us the way you feel
    Don’t stop confiding in the road you’re on
    Don’t quit, you’re walking satellites

Walking satellites
    She laughs satellites
    A room filled with satellites
    Ahh, walking satellites

6. bitohistory says:

I’m cheating, I’m spying at The Zoo http://tpzoo.wordpress.com/ and what they are posting on their Friday Nite Music . Bunch of old commie libs over there, they won’t mind. πŸ˜€
    YeeHaaa
    Panama Red by the New Riders of the Purple Sage

“That ain’t pot, that’s a narcotic.” true line from a friend of mine. πŸ˜†

7. HITO says:

Another “UP” song, try not to shimmie and shake:

B52s -- Love Shack

“come on and bring your juke box money”

8. boomer1949 says:

Speaking of Swing…

• HITO says:

That was GREAT!

Loved it. Rosie the Riveter…and a little Lana Turner from “The Postman Only Rings Twice”.

Going to play that again. Thanks Boomer.

:-)

• bitohistory says:

Hey boomer, keeping all pure in Columbus O-H-I-O ?

Let’s see the real girls. From “Buck Private”

• HITO says:

Andrews Sisters!

Made me think of the Divine Miss M’s version:

This is the album cut, but there are “hot soldiers” pix, otherwise it was live versions. I’m partial to the album, which I don’t have anymore. :-(

• boomer1949 says:

OH-IO bito!

I remember the “Real Girls” but I was a mere child mind you. Still like the 21st Century version and thought it was pretty cool a former Mouseketeer has a feel for the past.

• boomer1949 says:

HITO -- try it again.

• HITO says:

Embedded denied by youtube…And I was looking forward to seeing that…my mom was the swing queen back in the day.

Raised on Fred Astaire, and I could Lindy at 10.

Maybe I’ve been denied because I don’t have my youtube acount anymore.

9. HITO says:

Apologies, have never done music night, have never posted a youtube, so this will probably be a lame attempt. Thank you Adlib, for fixing it, as I imagine you will do…thanks.

But I thought the theme of “feel good” songs is so warranted this week, that I’m going to give you the link and a bit of lyrics to my favorite song that no matter how down about “stuff” I get, my spirits are lifted from the upbeat time signature and silly at times lyrics. Dave Matthews, “What Would You Say”…

Up and down the puppies’ hair
    Fleas and ticks jump everywhere
    ‘Cause of original sin
    Down the hill fell Jack and Jill
    And you came tumbling after
    ‘Cause of original sin

Rip away the tears
    Drink a hope to happy years
    And you may find
    A lifetime’s passed you by

What would you say
    Don’t drop the big one
    If you a monkey on a string
    Don’t cut my lifeline
    If you a doggie on a chain
    Don’t bite the mailman
    What would you say

10. bitohistory says:

great guitarists Clapton and Knopfler and one great band. Roll up the carpets!! Sultans of Swing. Good memories. (before she took the house πŸ˜† )

And watch those hands, guys. Slow dance
    Brothers in Arms

Talk radio’s Dr. Laura, you made a little “gaffe,” didya?

Check this out:

• bitohistory says:

πŸ˜€ Will she get taken off the air? No she’s a conservative (post posing nekid)

What did she say?

“Girls will be girls,” b’ito! Funny how that works.

Clinton had to be impeached over Lewinski, but Mark Sanford “came to Jesus” through adultery.

If Barack and Michelle had been married less than 9 months when their oldest child was born, that would have been shocking, I tell you. But Saint Bristol Palin is to be admired for being “brave” and having her baby out of wedlock.

Bill Clinton smoked one joint at Oxford which made him a hippie pot-head, but Dubya’s recovery from being a fall-down alcoholic proves what a great Christian he is.

Bottom Repub line: “You guys hafta be the grown ups. We’re too busy making money to be held accountable.”

One of the topics of the week. This one’s for BP and it’s admirers…that means you, Mr. Barton.

13. bitohistory says:

So just call me a purist, but just IMAGINE

14. bitohistory says: