bito On August - 1 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing?  Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you?  Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan  Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Related articles
Categories: Time Out for OT

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1,318 Responses so far.

This was kinda cute.

Corporate Candidate Says: We Are the Fear Stephen Colbert Warned You About!
    by Murray Hill Inc.
    First Corporation to Run for Congress

Well, this may seem silly to comment on a network TV program, but there’s a new show called Outsourced on NBC (which is based off a cool Indie movie I’ve referenced before) and I give it my thumbs up. Watch it if you can, ’cause I think it will be canceled after a maximum of six episodes. There’s way too many hilarious Indian cultural references I don’t think Americans will ever get.

By the way, I have the Indian head bobble down (or at least all the Indian girls in my Hindi class told me so), can pronounce Madhuri correctly, and love me a Bollywood dance number.

I’d normally put this in Morning Blog, but…

UN Fact-Finding Mission Says Israelis “Executed” US Citizen Furkan Dogan

I’m glad the details are emerging. I posted this on MB on Sept, 23rd.
      ——————————————--

Here we see the fundmental difference between Israel

My lord, I remember when the original UN Report came out. The HP threads were swarming with apologists.

It’s like, I get it if you want to defend Israel, but the lengths they are going to on this just leave me speechless. It’s no use arguing with them…

The positive news to this was this was on the front page of HP -- with that headline.

My point is this. We (and by this I mean the US gov’t and MSM) get rightfully outraged over Iran detaining British sailors and three American hikers, but not for Israel murdering an American?

W.T.F.?!!!

• escribacat says:

Here’s something I haven’t quite figured out: I find myself defending Israel over there even when I believe they’ve misbehaved (which is pretty often). But when I run into certain posters whose only reason for existing is to blame Israel for every bird that flies by, I can’t help playing devil’s advocate. (Not on the above mentioned thread though).

I concur wholeheartedly with your WTF, that’s how much these people care about the loss of military lives too, yet they say they “support” the troops. Hypocrites one and all.

The poor guy didn’t quite have an all American name btw, so according to the latest hate fest against Muslims and others, he was probably not quite American enough to care about.

Bear in mind that the President can’t possibly be an American born in the U.S. with a name like that. 😉

WHOA!! and WOW!!

The forensic evidence that establishes that fact is “tattooing around the wound in his face,” indicating that the shot was “delivered at point blank range.” The report describes the forensic evidence as showing that “the trajectory of the wound, from bottom to top, together with a vital abrasion to the left shoulder that could be consistent with the bullet exit point, is compatible with
      the shot being received while he was lying on the ground on his back.”

This is after he had already been shot twice and was lying semi-conscious?

Wow. Boehner-- on Rachel Maddow — looks even more sleazy than usual in contrast to the President. I think I’m getting a little nauseated.

And I was just starting to recover after watching Paladino go Tony Soprano earlier today.

Are we in Sicily?

5. bitohistory says:

Obama on a roll !!! Rachel is covering it!
    And on C-Span 1

I’m watching it, b’ito. I must say again, this man does ten times better in front of a live audience. He thrives on the energy. And they seem to be a delightfully rowdy and supportive bunch.

• bitohistory says:

Agree, k’es, and eat shit, whoreanna!! Middle class speech all the way!!!

On the Repubs: “Their calculation was simple and cynical. They knew it would take a long time for the country to recover. Their strategy was to sit on the sidelines and oppose everything. Even if they were for something, if I joined them, they said: OH! Then we must be against it!” Now they say they’re “energized” and they can ride back into power. We cannot let that happen!”

• bitohistory says:

What a great stump speech, “sitting there sipping a slurpee” 😆

• bitohistory says:

Even I can understand this with my 6th grade education and senility. :-)

• PatsyT says:

Nice Whiteboard… Is that new?

• bitohistory says:

Yes, Patsy. That is what it says at http://www.whitehouse.gov/ Pretty good shot and simple explanation, no?

You get it and I get it, b’ito, but all that Buffy sees is that those poor people struggling to survive on a million are year are going into the red. “A big red goose egg,” the man said.
              And it’s all that mean Mr. Obama’s fault. 😉

“It’s very difficult to make a man understand a thing if his welfare depends upon his not understanding it.”

I think I’m going to go cheer myself now by reading about the Great Depression and the WPA writer’s project. Sigh…

If someone else has already posted this link, forgive me. But I just happened to discover it and thought it was pretty cool:

They are able to “follow the money,” as they say, for any candidate or organization.

7. bitohistory says:

Graphs are interesting.
    Who Cares How Many People Call Themselves Conservative?

This doesn’t seem to tell us much about political performance in any given year, does it? James Downie created a handy chart comparing the Republican Party share of the two-party vote, on the left, with the percentage of the electorate self-identifying as conservative, along the bottom

” width=”550″ alt=”g1″ />

So one can call themselves an old shoe and they will vote new shoe? Seems so. Short interesting read.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ezra Klein spotlights an interesting idea.
    Shouldn’t taxpayers get a receipt?

What is provided to a taxpayer with a $5,400 tax bill? Nothing. For many Americans, the amount they pay in taxes is larger than any purchase they make during the year, but studies show they know almost nothing about where that money goes to.

This contributes to ridiculous beliefs, like the view that 20% of government spending goes to foreign aid, for example. An electorate unschooled in basic budget facts is a major obstacle to controlling the nation

8. bitohistory says:

Here is a keeper image!
    ” alt=”flamingpants” />

Thank you Mudflats.

9. bitohistory says:

A story that will get no air time:
    NAIC releases draft insurance exchange regulation

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners on Wednesday released a 10-page draft bill for the state health insurance exchanges mandated by the healthcare reform law.

The document could become the basis for exchange legislation that states will start considering in 2011 and 2012, according to Ipsita Smolinski of the consulting firm Capitol Street.

The law requires the Health and Human Services Department determine by Jan. 1, 2013, whether states will have exchanges ready in 2014; the department will take over in states that won’t.

Oh, you mean HCR is progressing despite the bogus threats of repeal?

RAHM IS RESIGNING ON FRIDAY!!!

Ding dong, the corporate DLCer smothering Progressive agendas is dead!

Another way to rally Dems!

Kalima, I’m popping the champagne!

Gosh, I’m really disheveled now, what a job I’ve had getting in through that tiny window. 😉

About the champagne, I’ll tear the cork out with my teeth if it will make you happy.

After your tomorrow, there will be less holding the President back, and as Martha would say, “That’s a good thing.” :)

• escribacat says:

Even though I have nothing in particular against Rahm, I’m relieved about this. If nothing else, so we can move on!

However, I’ve noticed that the Obama-bashers over on HP are already turning on Elizabeth Warren because she asked Wall Street for input. After weeks of bashing Obama because they were sure he wasn’t going to involve her in the consumer protection agency, they gave her one speech before they went on the attack against her.

A couple of top reasons I’m pleased about Rahm leaving, he claimed to reporter that he was the one keeping Obama from following the advice of Progressives in his cabinet.

And, after the election of Scott Brown, he pushed Obama hard to give up on HCR and just pass what Republicans would agree to let him pass.

Rahm is a corrupt, corporate DLCer. He is part of the status quo and has fought tooth and nail to press Obama to preserve the status quo at every turn.

He is a “game of inches” conservative in politics, that is, don’t do anything that is remarkable or big because it might be too upsetting to conservative voters, try to just squeak by with 51% in an election by not giving people a reason to vote against you.

Fortunately, Obama pushed back on HCR and accomplished what Rahm declared could not be accomplished.

As for HP Purists turning on Warren…what assholes.

They only read headlines, not articles. I read that article and it clearly explained that Warren proposed a holistic approach to regulation. Instead of making a patchwork of complex laws, give the industry a chance to collaborate on an overall policy that would make the regulations less difficult and costly for them to obey while giving consumers THE EXACT SAME RIGHTS they would have if piecemeal laws were put in place.

She is saying, “We can do this the easy way or the hard way, it’s up to you.”

The goal and the results will be the same.

Yet, these infantile purists read a headline and scream no differently and with no more reason than TeaBaggers at town hall meetings.

In a way, this is the best of all possible outcomes. Barack Obama didn’t have to fire him and, in the process, give the right something to cackle about. And Rahm is free to “pursue other career options and spend more time with his family.” Win-win. Oh, and win. For us.

11. PepeLepew says:

Just got back from Canada and had an interesting visit with Mom.

Beyond all the usual “Mom” stuff that goes on, we had a brief conversation about health. Most of Mom’s grandkids and great-grandkids are in California, she hardly ever gets to see them, and it’s one of the few joys she is afforded at this point.

She has COPD and severe arthritis, and is a Type 2 diabetic. Obviously, she has myriad health issues. She would like to move back to the U.S. to be around all the little kids, but is worried sick (no pun intended) about the costs. My brother, who has her powers of attorney, was supposed to talk to her this week about what health care reform in the U.S. means to her (the biggest deal is she can’t be denied for pre-existing conditions anymore).

At one point, I said to her, “You know, Mom, there’s a lot of right-wingers in America who insist that the American health care system is better than the Canadian system.”

Mom just laughed.

“Well, they don’t know much about Canada,” she said. :)

They don’t know much about anything, Pepe.

Thanks so much for the validation from an actual, geniune, cerrtified Canadian! When I tell RWers around here that Canadians are generally satisfied with their health care, they insist that I’m either deluded or lying.

But then they tend to have a great deal of confidence in their own opinions across the board. With or without evidence.

12. bitohistory says:

UH ❓

In response to revelations that her LinkedIn profile features false claims about attending Claremont Graduate University and the University of Oxford, Republican candidate for the United State Senate Christine O

Is Arianna a Republican or trying to become the Left’s Jim DeMint? This is on HP today:

Arianna To Progressives, Middle Class: Obama’s Not That Into You

• escribacat says:

Try getting a comment posted that directly criticizes her for doing it. I’m waiting to see if they post my suggestion that she’s still secretly pining for a Gingrich presidency.

And another thing! 😆
      How thin skinned are some progressives/Dems/Libs when they get all flummoxed and worked up because the Pres and VP said that we have “buck-up look at the alternatives”? How is that offensive. That is exactly what needs to be done.
      “Boo-Hoo, he scolded me, Waaaaah!”

• bitohistory says:

Patsy, (from down below). Why is the Planet blocked over there?? Good question?

• PatsyT says:

Did anyone see Chris Matthews Talk up Obama this week?
        I think it was when he had on Joan Walsh.

When Biden and Obama said, “buck up”, it didn’t bother me because I’m not a whiner. Those whining about being told to stop whining…do need to buck up and grow up!

• Marion says:

You should check out Rachel Maddow’s FB page. She is taking all kinds of SHIT because of what Whoreanna said on her program last night. I think Madam jumped the shark a bit there. Hordes of people are calling her out and quite a few are rounding on Rachel for not upbraiding her in those comments -- although in fairness to Rachel, I think she was more than a bit embarrassed by them. She tended to laugh nervously and try to go on.

Thanks Marion, I did check it out and it is nice to know that a number of Progressives recognize that the Empress has no…er…don’t want that mental image…er…credibility?

• PatsyT says:

A comment that is getting many ‘likes’

I Say ignore her website for 48 hours
            and see if she can take a hint.- John Vegas

From Maddowblog.

Teanuts! 😆
            Reading the comments on Maddow blog the comments are more anti AH than pro. Very little asking why she was even on the show.

• escribacat says:

Hooray. I’d love to see a huge movement questioning AH’s motives and an expose of her history.

• PatsyT says:

I have been asking RM
              Why is this site (Planet) blocked on HP?
              When you can have links to Drudge
              all day long?

• escribacat says:

Bito-- I just sent one too. I suggested she interview AH about her history, question her about her changing allegiances, her amazing transformation, and why her site so viciously attacked Hillary during the campaign and now is doing the same to Obama.

• bitohistory says:

Excellent, Ecat! how many from The Planet can we get? A mini “Take-Action” endeavor? :-)
              I usually tag my letters with a http://planetpov.com/ , but I forgot this time.

• bitohistory says:

For what its worth. I sent Rachel’s show an email expressing my feelings. She always claims that they all do get read (?).
              [email protected]

• bitohistory says:

When Are people going to realize that she is full of crap. What does she have on MSNBC that they have her on their shows. It doesn’t matter to her one bit about the middle class or the party in power. She has her millions, she just needs to stir the pot and pretend that this is news. I don’t remember in my lifetime a single election, esp. midterms, where some in the Democratic Party didn’t run in lockstep with the party’s views. But whay kind of headline would that be: Dems don’t always agree with each other!!
      She will see no harm with the R’s in power, only the middle class will. She does the most harm with her bile.

What has this egotistical opportunist ever done for the Middle Class herself? And whatever happened to her BS campaign to move money to community banks?

I thought that was going to solve all our economic problems and weaken the major banks…which are posting massive profits BTW!

Instead, once it stopped getting media attention…it seems to have disappeared.

• escribacat says:

She is exactly like Sarah Palin. She makes noise and then sees if she likes the response (ie, lots of attention). If she does, she makes more of the same noise.

• bitohistory says:

That was soooo bogus to start with in the first place. The only bank of the major Wall St banks that have much to do with retail banking is Citi. To the rest of them it amounts to about 2% of their assets. Where is her money? Hedge Funds?

Exactly, the real world statistics are that citizens’ deposits only account for a tiny percentage of bank assets.

The major banks could lose all the consumer accounts and still make record profits.

• Marion says:

She was blogging about Summers leaving the other day -- suggested Obama “appoint” a female CEO to replace him. I WONDER whom that might be?

She’s already railroaded Stewart’s rally. I bet she’ll speak -- just what the multitudes need to hear -- her going on about how the Democrats are unfit to govern and Obama hates the middle class. I was going to that. I’m having second thoughts now. Bitch.

While Stewart was pleasant and diplomatic about it, he did make clear that Arianna is one of the very people he is holding his rally to protest against.

I doubt highly that she will speak, it’s intended to be a parody of Beck and the TeaParty madness (not to mention the rabod purists on the Left)

Having AH speak would undermine all that.

• PatsyT says:

She can go to the Restore the Fear Rally for reals.

• bitohistory says:

Her and Hamster!! They have nothing to lose and plenty to gain. And by sitting out the elections is going to help the country how?

MSNBC and the other major networks seem to have designated her the “Voice of the Left,” b’ito. It’s so frustrating. Do you remember voting for her as our spokewoman? I don’t.