AdLib On July - 19 - 2010

This Thursday, the premiere annual Progressive convention, Netroots Nation begins. I’m pleased to say that I will be attending, representin’ PlanetPOV and our community.

All the top Progressive sites, organizations and blogs will be there, many seminars, panels and events, culminating in the closing night keynote speech by Sen. Al Franken.

EDIT – FYI, here is a partial list of speakers attending:

Speaker Nancy Pelosi, Majority Leader Harry Reid, Sen. Al Franken, Secretary of Transportation Ray LaHood, Elizabeth Warren, Gov. Brian Schweitzer, Ed Schultz, Sen. Jeff Merkley, Sen. Ben Cardin, Sen. Tom Udall, Rep. Alan Grayson, Van Jones and more.

Also, I’m fortunate to have been selected to be a panelist at one event and will do my best not to use phrases like “refudiate”.

I plan on blogging updates at The Planet while I’m attending, there’s so much going on there, I hope to find moments here and there to do so. Here’s a link to the Netroots Nation site, check it out and you’ll see what I mean: Netroots Nation

We’ve created some buttons to hand out for the occasion and to promote PlanetPOV:

Connected to this, any contributions folks here might be able to donate to help defer some of the expenses for The Planet attending Netroots Nation would be greatly appreciated. As a small token of appreciation, anyone who donates at least $10 will receive the button pictured above.

To make a contribution, all you need to do is click on the “Donate” button in the Paypal widget in the sidebar at the right of the page and it will take you to The Planet’s donation page at PayPal.

Attending Netroots Nation should be very productive for The Planet, its community, its networking with other groups and sites and moving forward with others on the principles and agendas that we share.

Looking forward to it and sharing it all with my fellow Planeteers!

Categories: Activism, Featured, PlanetPOV

1. LiseLives says:

AdLib -- hopefully you’ll see this --
    I want to buy 2 of the buttons, and also donate to the Planet today, but don’t have PayPal & don’t want to join --
    Is there a way I can just use my CC directly via : here ?
    Maybe you could email me (KQuark has my e) & let me know ? πŸ˜‰

Lise, you don’t need a PayPal account to use the Donate button at the right. Click on it and it will take you to our PayPal donation page. At the bottom left corner of that page, just above the symbols of credit cards you’ll see:

“Don’t have a PayPal account?
      Use your credit card or bank account (where available). Continue”

Click “Continue” and you’ll be taken to the page where you can donate directly by credit card.

Thanks so much, Lise!!!

2. bitohistory says:

OK, AdLib, where’s your posting? Matt Yglesias has already posted and he is just in the plane to NetRoots. πŸ˜†

Are the stories of the RNC missing $7 million cool ones and you leaving town tied together in any way?

I’m not arriving there until Friday, some folks are heading out throughout the week, it officially starts on Thursday but runs through the weekend.

If I see Matt there, I’ll say hi for you, I do like his work quite a bit!

3. VegasBabe says:

AdLib:
    Would LOVE to c’ya during your stay but I’m in Chicago right now. I was able to meet up with ladynaga, Dutchman, RegLib2, NWRick, CarrieAntigua, Freethinkergirl, and several others here in Chicago and that was a blast so I am especially disappointed that I won’t be there to finally meet the creator of PlanetPOV. LiseLives is right, maybe next year some of us can plan beforehand and attend this event, check things out. Now, if your a gambling man….stay away from the strip. The action is where the locals gamble, RedRock, BoulderStation, there’s a couple of neat one’s in Henderson. Good Luck!! πŸ˜‰

Sorry to miss you but glad you’re having a great time in Chicago! Please say hi for me to all our brothers and sisters in arms out there with you!

Apart from the casinos, Henderson reminded me a lot of suburban Tucson, it was uncanny at times, though the mountains are a little different.

I’m also curious what some of them are like in person. But, ah well. And how did you work out how you would know each other?

• VegasBabe says:

ladynaga set it up Khirad. There was at least 15 of us HP folks who met in Chicago. We had breakfast at the Omni House, a nice hotel, and it was the weekend as well of the Taste of Chicago so many attended that, shopped, went to clubs, Blues Bars. they want to do it again next year and this time, during the Mardi Gras in NO. Since I’ve never been to the Mardi Gras, I hope I’m able to attend. YOU are more than welcome to come also and I will keep you informed if it’s something you think you’d like to do. All are progressives/liberals like yourself and I daresay, friends of yours already! :)

4. KQ says:

Adlib I’m looking forward to the updates it should be an interesting experience for you.

I do plan on attending the Q & A’s with Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid, don’t know if I’ll have a chance to ask both questions but would like to.

For Harry, I want to ask about a rule at the beginning of the new Senate to end the current abuse of the filibuster. That question might be asked before I can ask it and I don’t have a question in mind for Pelosi so, what question would you want me to pose to Reid and/or Pelosi if I get a chance?

• PatsyT says:

Please tell Nancy (do not ask)
      That Liberals are Americans too
      Progressives are Americans too
      People that are not racist
      are Americans too
      and Please thank her for standing up to that!
      Please thank her for her leadership on healthcare reform!
      Without her, my child with a pre-existing condition would not have had a chance.

I will definitely put that together with KQ’s suggestion if I have the chance to ask a question.

As far as Pelosi valuing liberals though, she’s one herself, I don’t think she’s been less considerate towards us as a constituency however the Senate and Obama’s staff led by Rahm Emanuel is a very different story.

Wish Rahm was there for a Q & A, I’d want me a big slice of that!

• PatsyT says:

I was being too snarky there
          I meant that folks other then progressives or dems
          paint us as something other then American.
          and I just want us to stand up to that and say
          Liberals are Americans!
          In the best sense of the word.

• KQ says:

Also ask them when they are going to include the public option to HCR that should make their heads spin.

6. bitohistory says:

Oh, this must be for AdLib,It starts out with if your going to NetRoots nation. Already a name dropper. ;-).

I spoke to Senator Tom Udall of New Mexico this morning about his drive for reform of the Senate rules. If you

Heh! I am planning on attending that panel, it’s on curbing abuse of the filibuster in the Senate, 4PM on Saturday!

See my post above, I hope to ask Reid about implementing such a rule at the beginning of the new session.

7. Questinia says:

You’re fadlibulous!

So, how much of our donations will be going toward the roulette wheel?

AND,

Can you get me Alan Grayson’s autograph?

I’m betting the future of the Progressive agenda on lucky number 23! Come on, 23, Papa needs a new pair of representative parties not beholden to corporate interests!

Or a comped buffet.

• dildenusa says:

23 Red or Black? Or both? The best buffet in Las Vegas is at The Bellagio. The most sumptuous buffet you ever seen and the food is actually good. I’m still thinking about making a day trip on July 24 to Las Vegas. If I do I’ll send e-mail.

Thanks for the tip! Done and done!

And yum!

Definitely, let me know if you’re there, would be great to hook up!

• Questinia says:

Oh, Adlib. Keep up the tradition and make it Denny’s.

My traditions at Vegas go way back. The first time I went, it was still the old Vegas, I stayed at the Dunes and after crossing the street to what was the MGM Grand Hotel but later became Bally’s, a hooker from Central Casting called out, “Want a little company?”

Being a first timer at Vegas, I naively responded, “Yes, do you have a prospectus I could review?”

Got that joke from the New Yorker…still don’t get it.

Hey, meant to mention that two weeks ago Jon Stewart did a gag where he was eating a real Fudgie the Whale.

Oh Fudgie and Cookiepuss, is there anything you can’t conquer?!

• Questinia says:

Or a Carvel. You could have been Cookie-Puss King!

She did say “a little company”, I thought she was referring to perhaps a franchise business, perhaps a Tune Up Masters or a Dunkin’ Donuts.

• Questinia says:

A prospectus? A written document in order to attract or inform clients, members, buyers, or investors.

Were you a Republican then?

8. PatsyT says:

I can’t wait to wear buttons while riding my pony!

I couldn’t let you go off on your interesting journey without saying good luck and I hope you have a great time with all of those interesting people. I’m sure that you will do a perfect job of promoting The Planet.

Almost didn’t make it because of a late morning adventure yesterday. Crawling into a small space behind the wall of our house to retrieve cat plates that had fallen into a gap, this fool got her arm caught up to the elbow in the gap between two walls. It was already very hot outside, and with my rump stuck up in the air lying across a knee high trash bin, I felt too embarrassed to call to the street for help. I had visions of dying there in that spot, hubby not finding me in the dark until the next morning. Thinking that it was a silly place and even sillier position to die in, I held my breath and gave one more tug, and got my arm free.

I managed to get back into the cool house, shaking like a leaf for 20 minutes. Have just come back from the hospital because the arm had swollen to twice it’s size, but nothing was broken. Today I plan to pamper myself.

So what did YOU do yesterday? πŸ˜†

AdLib, I’m so impressed with that list of speakers! But the REALLY interesting part is the variety of social events you can chose from…

I’d love for you to check out the karaoke evening sponsored by the SEIU. Make sure you brush up on all the words to La Marseillaise, and “Which Side Are You On, Boy, Which Side Are You On?”

11. bitohistory says:

AdLib, there appear to be about a gazillion panels, which one are you going to be on? That’s cool, man.

12. dildenusa says:

Las Vegas is a 2 hour car ride from the front door of my house. I thought that I could day trip to Las Vegas which I do often but then I saw that a day pass to the conference is, gasp, $140. Oh, well, no mon, no fun. What can I expect if I, uh, crash the party as a friendly? I won’t be treated like a tea bag, I hope.

13. escribacat says:

This sounds extremely cool. What an agenda! Did they let you register under the name Adlib?

14. LiseLives says:

AdLib ! How glad I am that, of all days, I happened to log in today, before you leave.
    Gives me a chance to tell you I think you’re so fortunate to be able to attend, but also so very qualified !!
    Not only are you going to meet & interact with some amazingly interesting people, but ….they’ll get to meet & get to know you !
    I mean that -- I think this was meant to be -- you’re meant to go to the next level in knowing the movers & shakers in the Progressive movement & hopefully join them in affecting some changes --

I have a feeling you’ll come back with some gems to share, but also quite probably with some new, noteworthy compatriots who’ll have been made aware of the Planet --
    Bonne aventure, AdLib ! πŸ˜‰

Lise, I’m blushing, how wonderful of you to say all these kind things! Thanks so much for all of your support and confidence!

I am excited about attending and agree with you, I think it can help take The Planet and all of the aspirations of our community up a notch.

Just updated my iPhone with the WordPress App so I can blog on the run with it, want to bring everyone on The Planet there with me!

• LiseLives says:

I’ll eagerly await your reports, AdLib -- maybe next year, we can all go wit’ you :)
        AND, I plan to buy the button, (it’s hilarious & will be fun to wear up until November !) so hang in there --
        My wallet (with CC in it) is in my car & I’m too lazy to go up & down stairs to get it -- prob’ly manana πŸ˜€