AdLib On June - 9 - 2010

The spin of yesterday’s election that is all over the MSM today is, “It’s the year of the woman”.

Some would beg to differ. On the surface it is true, several winners of primaries yesterday were women. But the case could be made that half of the four most prominent women who won, were incredibly wealthy people who bought their elections. Billionaire Meg Whitman spent $81 million dollars of her own money to buy her win (ending up equaling $80/vote) and boasted that she would spend $150 million to win (buy) the Governorship.

Millionaire Carly Fiorina bought her primary at a comparable bargain, only spending about $7 million.

Down in Arkansas, corporate-owned Blanche Lincoln won. She was heavily funded by oil corps, Wall Street corps and health insurance corps, she boasted about blocking Obama on the Stimulus and HCR, she had Pres Obama and Clinton campaigning for her and meanwhile attacked Unions as outsiders and the enemy.

Isn’t the real common denominator here money, not sex? Or maybe sex in that there is no difference that gender makes when you can spend $80 million dollars to win an election? One could argue that there is no glass ceiling over the wealthy, whatever their sex. Their money is just as green and buys the same attack ads.

So why does the MSM focus on the sex of candidates instead of what really got them elected? Because it’s an effective way for the wealthy and corporations to pleasantly mask the real story of how our democracy is just an auction that goes to the highest bidder?

What is very instructive is what happened in California with ballot propositions. Two propositions, put up by corporations to benefit themselves at the expense of the public, nearly passed. Meanwhile, a proposition that would have allowed public funding to reduce the power of corporations over our elected officials and elections, was decisively defeated (big cheers and props to Choicelady for all her efforts on trying to get this passed!).

People seem so conditioned by commercial advertising, they can be convinced to vote for candidates and laws that clearly would hurt them.

This would instead seem to be The Year of The Billionaires. With the SCOTUS ruling permitting corps to spend unlimited sums on supporting candidates who will work for them and opposing those who are foolish enough to want to represent the citizens, billionaires have far more power and influence over our elections than ever before.

So, instead of being pacified with the pleasant, uplifting spin that what happened yesterday was a great win for sexual equality, if we consider the inequity between 99.5% Americans and corporations, the dominating influence and control they have over our elections and democracy, yesterday’s election should instead be a warning and a wake up call that our democracy is continuing to be bought right out from under the feet of men and women equally.

1. SueInCa says:

Ok AdLib, I am missing something here, trolls? Or do you mean the ones who were gloating over republican wins in a republican primary?

I was making a bit of a reach, to parody “Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll”, a big reach! I was referring to the MSM as the Talking Trolls who have been promoting phony facades to our elections, including “anti-incumbent fever” (while nearly all incumbents won in their primaries) and “The Year of the Woman” when it’s really being a billionaire or millionaire or a tool of them that is behind these women winning elections.

The MSM has many incentives to creating phony narratives like these, to create conflicts that increase viewership and to keep a veil over the truth behind corporate control…since they too are all owned by and need to support their corporate owners.

2. SueInCa says:

Hey Meg Whitman, California is not for sale.

• dildenusa says:

What do you mean California isn’t for sale? Now that the politicians have completely screwed up paradise, I want to bid one dollar.

• SueInCa says:

In your case, we accept but you have to get rid of all the lazy politicians in the state. Especially McClinotck and Darryl Issa

Issa is the one who drove the recall against Gray Davis and gave us Ahnold as governator.

He is a total piece of work, wish we could slam dunk him but he’s in Orange County and they like their pols representing the wealthy and corps down there because it’s the “christian” thing to do.

• PatsyT says:

AdLib,
            Issa is not in Orange county.
            He is in North San Diego County, our border to the south.
            Want to have some fun, check out his toxic web page

Orange County has some serious blue streaks running thru right about now
            check out my 44th district
            This is our congressman we have now

Dough Boy.. sorry have to say that
            This is the one I want to see replace Calvert

Bill Hedrick is so cool!
            I have met him and he is the real thing!

Look at this info (sorry it is from Wiki-but good info)

Issa was born in Cleveland, Ohio, the grandson of Lebanese immigrants. His net worth is approximately $251 million, making him the wealthiest member of Congress.[2][3] Issa enlisted for a three-year tour in the Army during his senior year of high school, where he claimed to have served as a bomb disposal technician. Issa further recounted being part of the security entourage for President Nixon during the 1971 World Series, despite Nixon never having attended the event. Issa left the Army nearly two years early after being stripped of his duties as a bomb specialist.[4]
            He attended Kent State University at Stark in North Canton, Ohio and Siena Heights College in Adrian, Michigan, on an ROTC scholarship, earning a bachelor’s degree in business administration in 1976. Upon graduation, he was commissioned as an officer in the United States Army, serving as a tank platoon leader and a computer research and development specialist, among other command roles. He left the Regular Army in 1980 with the rank of captain. He later moved to Vista, California, a suburb of San Diego, where he now lives.
            In the 1970s, Issa and his brother were twice charged with grand theft auto, once for a Maserati sports car in 1972 and for a Mercedes Benz sedan in 1979, along with being accused of stealing a car during his military service, although he denies these charges. He has also been convicted for possession of an unregistered gun.[5]

Auto theft??

• choicelady says:

Yeah -- but he’s an Arab, too, and the Reeps are in an uneasy tension with him. My knowledge of him goes way back to Michael Moore’s “TV Nation” because Issa invented the car alarm, and Moore took a car to Issa’s house, set off the alarm and waited to see what happened. Issa was FURIOUS! It was pretty funny -hoist on his own petard! That is the high and low of Issa’s life. He survives in OC because he’s so scummy. It trumps his ethnicity -- you know, like Bobby J. in LA.

And this, apparently, is the BEST the Reeps can do for “the big tent”.

Forgive me if I repeat myself, but one poster over on the dark side pointed out that with all the new gay sex scandals among Reeps, they don’t need a bigger tent, they need a bigger closet. Roy Ashburn appeared at an EQCA fund raiser a couple of weeks ago -- his maiden voyage as an “out” gay man -- which totally pissed off openly gay Sen. Mark Leno’s staffer who said, furiously, that Ashburn can show up -- and he’ll still vote Republican which is anti-GLBT rights. I suspect he was accurate.

Repubicans used to have principles. Now they just have money.

• SueInCa says:

Yeah, I am pretty sick of the Christian thing to do. Didn’t he also have some involvement with that Cunningham guy?

3. PatsyT says:

This calls for a new Demon Sheep Ad
    Gee how can we top this one???

Patsy! How could you forget this one?

Wow. If there were an award for the ad that most seamlessly combined utter mean-spiritedness with surreal ridiculousness, this one would win it hands down.

😆 Another ad in Killer Sheep’s clothing! How messed up are the people in Fiorina’s campaign? They seem completely out of touch with reality and what people respond to.

This ad just makes Fiorina look ignorant and poor at making decisions. I mean, Boxer’s head as a Death Star? Who but the RWs would connect with something as just bizarre and absurd?

• choicelady says:

Today she was heard dissing Boxer’s hairstyle as being so outdated. She wants to go to Congress and that’s the only thing she has to say? Bad hair? Wow -- I sure know I want Carly for Senate! She’ll raise standards!

Give me strength…

• PatsyT says:

Ha, that one is totally ridiculous !
        How about all the stuff today about Carly Fiorina with her comments about
        Barbara Boxers hair.
        I Love Boxer!
        I hope she kicks their butt!!

Plus, I never realized how hot she was before this video. Although, you see her now, and you can tell she was, it’s a bit creepy to hear Chris Matthews talking about it though. Of course, he can make many things creepy. “Hah!”

Actually, I thought the beginning fo the video, showing Boxer when she was younger and working her way up was very flattering to her.

Then when they get ridiculous and turn her head into an Orwellian video zeppelin, it makes Fiorina look like an extremist loon, not Boxer.

That’s also why I mentioned that. It was very flattering, and the rest is as you say. It’s like she has subversives sabotaging her internet ad campaign.

• escribacat says:

Is this a spoof? :)

4. whatsthatsound says:

With a title like that, I expected this article to have something to do with the world’s oldest profession. Instead, it’s about politics.

……………..
    ( I think I’ll just let everyone fill in their own punchline)

It’s so frustrating to hear the message that women like Palin and Angle somehow represent women in general, and that their dubious “accomplishments” should be a source of satisfaction for us.

I identify with these women about as much as the typical African American voter identifies with Michael Steele or Clarence Thomas.

These women don’t speak for me or my friends; nor do I see them as role models for anyone. I would rather have an all male government, with people like Barack Obama and Joe Biden in charge, than see women like them in positions of power.

At the risk of using a strong word, I must say: These women are
    collaborators. They collaborate with and enable not only their own oppressors, but people and institutions who do bad things to everyone in the country — male and female alike.

They are anything but feminists. And they hypocritically want to deny other women the same lives they crave for themselves. They have zero desire to be confined to their homes and domestic duties, dressed “modestly” and erasing their own personalities in unceasing and unrewarded (or even recognized) service to others. Yet they choose this for others.

These are not nice people. Ladies (and gents), these are not our sisters.

6. javaz says:

The amount of money politicians spend on elections is disgusting and immoral.
    These multi-millionaire or billionaires certainly do not reflect ‘We The People’.

Here’s a good article on Carly Fiorina and Meg Whitman and their not so stellar performance as CEOs.

Sharron Angle sure sounds like a crazed Tea Partier -- being against alcohol and wanting to bring back prohibition especially in Nevada, and in Las Vegas in particular doesn’t seem like a winning platform, but she did win the primary.

And then what in the heck is going on in South Carolina?

Alvin Greene is unemployed, lives with his parents, never campaigned, and was arrested last November and charged with a felony?
    Yet he came up with $10,400.00 to get his name on the ballot and he won the Democratic primary!

DeMint is giddy and will coast easily to a landslide victory.

It’s nice to see a woman win, but if she was elected through the same corrupt cycle as a man might sometimes use, what is the difference. The most important questions are, can she do the job she has been elected to do and will she do it, is she sincere and does she care about the people who voted for her and the welfare of the American people, if not, there seems no point to rejoice or celebrate the achievement,

Right with you. Ultimately, we should elect presidents who will do the best job for us. At the same time, it will be an historic day when that person, for the first time, is a woman.

We have just started season 7 of “24” there is a woman President in office. She acts quite tough. Sorry, I have a thing for Kiefer, don’t tell you-know-who. :)

Learning anything we should know?

It would totally trip most fans out to learn he’s socialist.

I hope one day he explains that he sent much of the money he made off of that to Amnesty International or something.

• choicelady says:

Kalima -- I can forgive the thing for Kiefer, but I HATE THAT SHOW since I was on the board of the National Religous Campaign Against Torture, and that had more impact on people than anything we ever said. Total hooey, but people ate it up. Kiefer though -- I can see it. I like his dad better, however.

• Mightywoof says:

I dislike the show as well -- although the concept of ‘real time’ was intriguing in the first season; I just couldn’t stand all the silly women in the show whose only purpose seemed to be to get into stupid situations by being wilful and then being helpless as Jack came to rescue them.

Sorry cl, if your tv was as boring as the tv here, you might just thirst for many American and British shows to verify a certain degree of sanity.

8. escribacat says:

I voted for Hillary during the primary — and I was up front to friends and family that I was doing so because I wanted to see a woman president. I was annoyed when Obama won the nomination. As it turns out, I’m definitely not a PUMA and probably one of Obama’s most loyal cheerleaders now. The females that seem to be crawling out of the rightwing woodwork these days really give me the willies. I would like to see a woman president before I die, but not at any price!

It’s almost like a “Night of the Living Dead” thing, the legit desire for and from women on the left and in the middle to see women in the highest positions vs. the corrupt Repub version of this which merely uses women as vehicles to deliver the same anti-women, anti-citizen policies that benefit only corporations.

Just as Michael Steele was Republicans’ attempt to superficially appeal to a community they oppose, Whitman and Fiorina are poised to betray women and the issues that matter most to them.

Just as I wouldn’t be celebrating Michael Steele being our president even though I had hoped to one day see a black man become president, I do hope to see a woman become president before too long…but as you say, not at any cost.