bito On June - 1 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing?  Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you?  Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan  Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Related articles

Categories: Time Out for OT

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1,247 Responses so far.

1. bitohistory says:

OH, YEAH? Who says your Jewish, and your mama don’t count ❗

Rubin, who was raised in a Conservative household, produced letters from four Conservative rabbis and one Chabad rabbi attesting to her Jewishness. But the Herzliya Rabbinate said the letters were not enough and asked her to bring ketubot, or religious wedding contracts, as well as birth or death certificates of her mother, grandmother, great-grandmother and great-great-grandmother…..”It was made very clear that without ketubot and without birth certificates from four generations, I would need to go to the Beit Din [local rabbinical court],” Rubin told Anglo File this week. “I told him, time and time again, that my grandparents are Shoah survivors [and thus their ketubot no longer exist] and I was told that wasn’t his problem.”

The Herzliya Rabbinate responded that it kept to strict standards “of Moses and Israel” for affirming one’s faith.

And we have birthers yelling for Obama’s birth certificate?

2. dildenusa says:

This appeared in politico this morning. I always look at people who talk incessantly about leadership with a jaundiced eye. Leadership is an intangible quality. Most people abuse the term for their own self interest. True leadership is closer to the myth of Sisyphus. One must always strive for the ideal but can never attain it. True leadership involves true communication, and that means listening as well as talking.

My readings about early Christianity have convinced me this was a leaderless grass roots rebellion against the priestly and secular hierarchy in the Jewish milieu and Roman authorities of the first century C.E. I am also convinced that the character known as Paul was a slick salesman who saw an opportunity to enrich himself at the expense of poor people.

I sea the tea bag partiers as a similar grass roots leaderless group. If they can maintain this, thsy might be a force for change. Their problem is steering clear of the anarchistic and atheistic Ayn Rand fans, the republican party hacks, and the slick salesmen peddling “leadership.”

Good morning bito. By the time you read this I might be fast asleep. The heat is making me nod off earlier than I normally would. Take care and have a good day.

Isn’t this the nut job from your link the other day and how dare he show his bigoted face on tv?

“Church plans Quran-burning event”

• bitohistory says:

Free speech is fine, but do we have to build and prop him up on the soapbox to hear his hate. Let him purchase his own airtime.

No you don’t bito, but I feel that people have a right to know that this ignorant pos exists and what he is preaching from his viper infested pulpit, don’t you?

This will be along the lines of the Danish cartoons for me.

In nations that have Free Speech, they have a protected right to do this. And in those that don’t, they have a human right.

I too wonder where one draws the line at incitement or infringing upon another’s rights, though.

Beyond the legal questions, and issues of artistic freedom, I just wonder what one is really trying to accomplish.

Idiots are protected by the First Amendment, but, what of simple decency? What happened to that?

I’m a broken record on this, but I feel that rather than fundamentalists in both the Muslim and Christian communities ratcheting up the rhetoric, there needs to be more of us in the middle speaking up, helping the moderates. This, not some pipe dream of annihilating or converting the other entirely is what will further peace in the world, rather than inflaming violence.

I mean, one should not be curtailed because of fear of reprisals (see South Park’s “Cartoon Wars”), but, as individual citizens, I wish there was more of an ethic of responsibility. When you thumb the eye of extremists, you might also be offending and alienating those whom aren’t radicalized. This makes it counterproductive, in purely practical terms.

Of course, the extremists in Islam, Christianity and Judaism (and non-Abrahamic faiths, as well), don’t make such differentiations or consider such ramifications… It’s a mental disorder.

Exactly Khirad, it is a moral duty to try to respect each other’s beliefs and those who abuse it daily need an awakening by the millions of people who find this offensive when they do. The radical/fundamentalist elements in all religions need to be chastised by their own moderates for anything to ever change for the better.

The way Muslims were treated after 9/11 was atrocious to many in America and internationally, it reminded me of the Japanese interment camps of your past.

America was angry, the world was angry too. There were people from 92 different countries who perished on that fateful day as well. The Bush machine barged ahead without thinking, the only thing on their minds after the initial shock was revenge. 1000’s of innocent people were imprisoned, many were American citizens, I’m sure that their ordel will never be forgotten by them. That’s why it is so important to mend fences with a community that just wants to live in peace and practice their religious freedom granted in your constitution to one and all. The people screaming the loudest about your President abusing the constitution had no qualms about the Bush regime doing it any chance they could get, and are also the ones who abuse it themselves without any conscience or moral compass standing in their way. Hypocrites of the first order.

Locking up 1000’s of Muslims because they were Muslims without charging them or giving them their rights was mass hysteria and shameful. Now 9 years later, the stigma still sticks and must be stopped.

• dildenusa says:

This church is nondenominational. I’m willing to bet a dollar to your dime that if it was a church affiliated with a major denomination like the Baptists, Lutherans, or episcopalians, that the pastor would be fired in a heartbeat.

The “bad handle” seem to be yours on my opinion of this issue BT. Where did I say that Americans were celebrating in the streets and if you are referring to the few televised Muslims here and there in a few Arab countries, you are taking things out of proportion.

I see nothing either Progressive, Liberal or Democratic in your following sentence here, “Big whoop

Dear friends, I do plead “guilty” to posting the link to “Dove Ministries” and I apologize if I offended anyone in doing that.

“Sunshine is the best disinfectant,” was my only motive. And I think CNN had something of the same idea. Rick was hardly gentle in his questioning of this fellow.

This planned action on the part of “Dove” caught my attention partly because I’ve been hearing more of this type of rhetoric around here lately (“Islam is of the devil,” etc.) and I fear it’s moving from the fringe to permeate the religious right. Obviously this is not good news for Muslims anywhere.

These types need to be exposed before this goes “underground mainstream.” I really didn’t mean to glorify him or give him more attention than he deserves. But I fear he speaks for more than just himself.

Hi kes, exposing this piece of manure was the right thing to do, and yes I’ve seen this sentiment about Islam in many different places, even on established RW blogs like Human Events who seem to enjoy pandering to hate.

To the 1.2 billion Muslims in the world, the Quran is certainly not “just a book.” I fear that this sort of senseless act of hate will endanger the lives of Americans in the future. All it takes is one radical leaning, angry Muslim in the U.S. to want payback for the burning of his holy book and there could be chaos.

I would think that Rick wanted this nutter on the show to expose him more than anything, I hope that the people watching got the message loud and clear that this man is putting American lives in danger.

Keep posting links to this scum kes, I have collected a few and wasn’t quite sure what to do with them. I might post them on MB as I did with a RW article about Obama a few months ago, except for the inevitable fact that some of us become physically sick when we read read their swill.

Of course you have every right to exercise your First Amendment, I just wonder where one draws the line is the point I was trying to make.

Knowing how what is written in the Quran is taken far more seriously than a Bible that has been butchered to fit the agenda of the so called “Christians” in your country, and knowing how it is a vital part in their culture and every day lives, I believe that the significance of burning the Quran is far greater and will affect more people on a very personal level than the burning of a few Bibles would ever do.

• bitohistory says:

k’es, yes you’re correct, they need to be exposed. I’m tired and grumpy today and tired of these idiots getting on the telly. Rick Sanchez did a good job of calling him out even though he seemed to not have noticed that he was being called ignorant on religion, his and others. It just seems that the news sometimes gets close to Jerry Springer, how far on the hate fringe can we go?

Expose away, dear k’es, lord knows I post about these wackos all the time. Sorry, had to much fun, beer and took my meds too late last night. Vox Pop, made me grumpy. 😆

• bitohistory says:

Hello Kalima, I think k’es turned over some rock, found him and posted him.

My question is why is he even on CNN? Is he newsworthy enough to be on that he can spew his hate? His actions should have been ridiculed and he should be put back under his rock.

For some reason “news” programs/infotainment seems to always have to allow the “opposing view” on to make it fair and balanced. If one side, the other side, is a complete whacko out on the fringes of reality, it does not make them an opposing view.

That fellow had nothing of value, intelligence to say. The only creditability about him was his ignorance and hatred.

You are right bito, I should have checked down the thread but was typing with one eye closed at the time.

I think that CNN just wanted to expose the creep, and that is why they gave him air time, which could either be a good thing or have other crazies watching want to join him. Time will tell I suppose. Maybe a few people should gather there and burn a stack of Bibles at the same time, seems fair to me. After all, the Quran is in it’s original form, some people just chose to interpret it in different ways, but their Bible has been rewritten to fit their agenda.

• bitohistory says:

Hello Kalima, I know that k’es, you and CNN are right by exposing him and his ilk. Hell, I post links to these whackos daily! I just had heard one of his fellow travelers on the radio and I was tired of hearing them espouse their hate. They are such a small minority yet they seem to be able to have their views broadcast nationally. Certainly, they need to be exposed and Mr. Sanchez did a good job on his interview, but so often I don’t hear them being challenged on their stupidity, hate and ignorance. Rick Sanchez even mentioned it at one time about that he didn’t mean to cut him off that his views should be allowed.

I was wrong with my rant this morning, I just wanted them to go away, at least till I had some coffee. :-)

Don’t ever feel the need to apologize for a good rant bito, it saves us from smashing tv sets, radios and computers. Bearing that in mind, I will post a few of the nutter rants on MB, but to save our sanity, I’ll try not to make a habit of it, and certainly not every day. :)

Hey Bito

But for real, I got my mail-in ballot today, and this is helping me with some of the downticket candidates:

I’m voting Glassman, though prospects of a Dougherty v. McCain debate are tempting.

In honor of Khirad’s recent journey and j’avaz’s current one, a little “Road Trip” music. I like the way this woman keeps her powers of concentration, despite her little “helper.”

6. boomer1949 says:

Hey bito,

Thanks for posting the link for the petition. I signed as well and added this message…

Oh my goodness! This should be a non issue, yet I am not surprised it is. We are comparing Apples to Oranges to Sour Grapes here folks. Make a responsible decision for once. If you do not, Uncle Walter, Chet, David, Peter, Frank, and others will be spinning in their respective graves.

I also posted it on my Facebook Wall and sent the link to to friends.

7. Mightywoof says:

I know I got the link to TrueSlant from PPOV -- I don’t remember from whom, sorry. I don’t often go there but today -- with time on my hands -- I did. They’re closing down -- they will be no more by tomorrow ….. they got bought out by Forbes :roll:

8. bitohistory says:

NEW CREDO ACTION!! PLEASE SIGN!! FOX OR NPR!!
    Subject: Help NPR beat FOX News

Dear Planeteers,

On Sunday, the White House Correspondents Association will decide which news organization will be awarded the seat recently vacated by Helen Thomas. The news organizations most actively vying for the seat are FOX, NPR and Bloomberg News.

FOX News is a right-wing propaganda outlet, not a legitimate news agency. In recent weeks the network has turned the volume up on its race-baiting political agenda. The media assault on Shirley Sherrod is just a latest in a series of racist and politically motivated attacks on targets like Van Jones, ACORN, and Eric Holder’s Department of Justice.

It’s bad enough that we have to fight the constant smear campaigns and appeals to racial paranoia from FOX and the right-wing media. We can’t let them have the best seat in the White House press briefing room and the legitimacy that it confers.

I just told the White House Correspondents Association to give the best seat in the briefing room to NPR, not FOX. I hope you will, too.

Have a look and take action at the link below.

I added my name to the petition, b’ito!

• bitohistory says:

Thank You k’es. Tough choice, eh? You usually sign them k’es, I am surprised that you don’t get their alerts in your e-mail. I can’t stand the thought of some schmuck from F*x getting that seat.

I think I do get at least some of them in my e-mail, b’ito, but there are days when I go on “delete” fits and I tend to get a little carried away, so it helps to have a reminder.

I signed on to receive updates from Anthony Weiner today, too, so there’ll be even more in my in box! But I couldn’t resist. I think I may be in love.

• bitohistory says:

I do wish he would speak his mind more,k’es, and be a progressive!! 😉

(pop quiz: Who gets more airtime? Weiner or Bats*it Bachman.)

Yes, if he and Grayson could just conquer their shyness issues, they’d be on the road to presidential runs of their own. 😀

9. javaz says:

YIKES
    I cannot see the sidebar thing of my postings or anyone elses.

Just had a storm blow through, and it was awesome.

I think you have to be from Arizona to love rain.

My husband thinks he knows how to fix this laptop problem, but he wants to wait till we get back home to fix it.

He was the head of the computer department for awhile when we worked at Honeywell, and a fine job he did then, as I worked there then, and he really kicked ass and took names later and did fix all of that!

I’m so lucky in that my husband is a computer genius, and good with everything mechanical.
    (did I spell that right?)

Well, the rain has stopped, so I’m going to go sit outside while the potatoes cook on the grill and enjoy the pine trees and mountains and cooler temps.

For anyone that wondered -- my brother is doing much better, thank you God.

j’avaz, love the fact that you can log in every now and then and fill us in on your latest adventures.

If you and dr’graz have a happy trip on “bluekleberries,” maybe you can dry a bunch ’em and share?

The whole trip sounds like so much fun. Hope you’re taking lotsa pictures.

10. javaz says:

We made it!!!
    We’re at a campground 6 miles from the entrance to Glacier Nat’l Park!

I can’t read any posts on the site -- the avatars are huge and block the replies.
    We’ve been having massive problems with the laptop so it’s most likely that.
    We’re lucky we can even log on.

We are in the pines and it looks like Flagstaff, but more so.
    It’s raining, so we are staying at the campground and simply enjoying the cooler weather.
    We’re in a town called Coram, Montana.

We’ll be here a week as we plan on going into Glacier nearly everyday and then also visiting another area just down the road called Hungry Horse as the campground host recommends that.

The campground host also said that we will most likely lose our WIFI -- we are in the middle of nowhere and it is absolutely gorgeous -- but the host said that once the campground fills, especially with those big rigs that we will lose our connection.

A really big thing here are huckleberries.
    I have no idea what huckleberries are, even though I do remember Huckleberry Hound!
    Anyway, my husband thought he found some growing on bushes, and he’s been eating them, so we’re going to time this thing and see if he starts hallucinating and if so, then I am chowing down!
    LMAO

Seriously, I think he’s eating blueberries, and must research what a huckleberry is!

Oh, that Flathead Lake is huge and so incredibly, breathtakingly beautiful.
    We liked that area much more than Jackson Hole, Wyoming as it isn’t crowded at all, and not as hoity-toity.
    The town there at the lake -- Polson -- is the epitome of a quaint western town.
    I think that entire area is an Indian Rez -- The Blackfoots?
    Just a gorgeous area with lots of farms.

This is the first day that we haven’t had to use the air conditioning -- yeah, we’re really roughing it!
    LOL

But Montana and Gros Ventre in Wyoming were so hot during the day and worse -- humid.
    It’s gorgeous here though and perfect weather for desert people who are unaccustomed to rain!

(still can’t figure out how to get spellcheck back, so forgive my misspellings!)

• bitohistory says:

WAHOOO!! j’avaz, don’t know if you can read this but this place has food, drink, music, free camping and a cyber cafe. looks like it must be near you.

Contact Information
      Selection of informative links
      Packers Roost
      Phone: 406-387-9922
      Fax: 406-387-4449
      PO Box 130430
      Mile Marker 145 US Hwy 2 East
      Coram, Montana 59913
      Email: [email protected]

Looks like a fantastic area from the pics on the web.
      They have USA Biker Tour & Hog Roast and the group “Splinters” at the Roost on the Aug.1 —Think I would head to the park instead! 😀

Be safe and have a great time.

• javaz says:

B’ito!
        I could read part of it!

We never eat out, ever, even when we’re home.

Well, that’s not exactly true.

When on the road and if we run out of bread or lunchmeat, we’ll stop at McDonald’s or another fast food place and order from the dollar menu, but never drinks, because we always have sodas or milk.
        (I’m the milk drinker as I love ice-cold milk, but only drink skim!)

My husband is the biker and even has bike-riding outfits -- I bought for him last Christmas the shirt that is the AZ flag, because no matter what anyone says about AZ -- our stare flag is cool.

Dr’graz is bbqing as we speak.
        Picked up fresh corn on the cob and genuwine Idaho potatoes from a farm stand and we’ll have them with steaks.

Hope you are doing well.

• bitohistory says:

Norwegians are idiots. 😆 Lutefisk/luttefisk is Lutheran penance.
            Bill Nye as Sig? Good ‘un Khirad. Reminds me of childhood, I knew those people, they were my family. 😆

Holy Buckets, that’s priceless! 😆

• bitohistory says:

One line I heard from those Scandis growing up was when someone asked “how are you?” reply: “Not bad, could be worse.” You did not complain to others. Don’t pry, don’t complain! I hear myself using that line even at the CC. I also chuckle to myself and think of family. :-)

Oh yes, b’ito! That was part of the German ethos on my mom’s side of the family, too! “Never impose!!” “Pull your weight. Clean up after yourself. Always bring something to the potluck, or don’t eat! Call before you drop in! Don’t overstay. Make sure there’s enough for everyone! Wait your turn! Don’t interrupt.” The rules were endless!
              Now — on the Hungarian side, there was more room for drama. As my mom used to say: Hungarians are only happy when they’re miserable.

No wonder I’m schizophrenic.

• bitohistory says:

j’avaz, two common slang words up there to sound like a native: “oof-dah” or “Holy Buckets”. :-) Have you heard them there?

11. Mightywoof says:

When I read that the Senate had failed to pass a bill to provide healthcare for the men and women working on that dreadful day in New York on 9/11, I was astonished. I saw a documentary on PBS about the health problems the (mostly if not all) men that worked that day to rescue victims and clear the area. Perhaps those who died that day are luckier than those who still live with the profound physical effects of their heroism.

I was unprepared for this

Go Get ‘EM Tiger 😆

• bitohistory says:

WOW!! he is a feisty guy, but that is the angriest I have ever seen him on the floor. Bravo, Representative Weiner.

Sad part is I watched the R’s this morning try to stop/slow a vote with a procedural maneuver. They have no policy, they have politics.

Oh. My. God. This is a thing of beauty and a sight to behold.

Long, long, long overdue.

Viva Weiner!!!

12. dildenusa says:

I didn’t see a link on msnbc to get this article off the NY Times.