AdLib On April - 29 - 2010

Hey Kids! Did you get your Super User badge yet? You can redeem your Networker tickets for cheap plastic toys at the Redemption Booth!!! And you can earn more tickets playing Whack A Troll!!! Weeeeeeeeee!!!! Blogging time is fun time!!!

Have you checked out HuffPo’s new comment system upgrade? If you haven’t, just imagine the arcade at a miniature golf course and you’ll get the idea.

That’s not to say that they didn’t make some improvements. As many of us suggested a long time ago, they are providing a structure of community moderating which is a good thing.  Still,  HuffPo has been morphing into a neon-flashing, distraction littered,  Chuck E. Cheese-styled “playground” for some time and it has all now come to fruition.

Badges and colors and categories are applied to users. The fanning led to a class system and cliques over there but this latest application of a variety classes, IMO, turns HuffPo into even more of a  High School  campus than before. IMO, it trivializes so much about blogging and sets up fertile ground for a greater degree of cliques and egos.

BTW, if you link to their Facebook page, you get your comments highlighted in purple! So, if you are a troll with only hate to offer, as long as you help HuffPo’s bottom line by linking to their Facebook page, your comment is highlighted and a reasoned comment from a good blogger isn’t.

What a circus HP has become, a parody of itself. Instead of the site encouraging discussion on issues, it continues to make the focus on the social standing and relations of its bloggers.

I think HP learned very well that many people there are addicted to the Chuck E. Cheese aspect of getting “tickets” and “points”, they love accumulating “fans”.  Some people over there are more interested in getting more fans than any issue that could be discussed. So this latest cornucopia of badges will be, IMO, a goldmine for HP in addicting many of the same people and more to competing on who can get the coolest badges. And if that’s not what blogging’s about, my name isn’t Dave or Buster.

As for me, I think blogging should be about substantive conversations on issues that matter. I don’t think that elevating some bloggers above others is Progressive, constructive or mature. I don’t think that turning blogging into a game of Skee-Ball where you can win badges is a step forward.

For me, when it comes to blogging, I don’t need no stinkin’ badges.

1. PepeLepew says:

Oh, this just keeps getting more bizarre.

Now, I have a *counter* telling me how many HP accounts I’ve had banned.

Apparently, since Nov. 2009, I’ve gotten 377 accounts banned — about 350 belonging to one guy, I’m guessing.

• escribacat says:

I don’t have that. You must really be part of the regime now! Hehe.

• PepeLepew says:

This is surreal. What is means is that people who are Level One moderators can see how many more people they need to get snuffed to move up to Level Two.

No motivation there to play games!

• escribacat says:

I have the level 1 moderator button (back after opting out yesterday) but don’t see that tally that you’re talking about.

I haven’t seen that yet, but tonight is the first night I’ve been back.

I enjoyed my first deletion though!

Power trip! 😆

I was already a level two, but if it rewards good behavior…

Like I say, most the bells and whistles are ridiculous, and the gaming aspect too, but…

• PepeLepew says:

I have apparently banned 380 accounts total.

I’m guessing about 350 belonged to one guy — You Know Who.

That’s who I figured. I should have quite a tally too.

• PepeLepew says:

I’m spatial.

2. dildenusa says:

Oh Darn It! I’m not eligible for a badge. I don’t do facebook.

3. boomer1949 says:

From: boomer1949
    To: [email protected]
    Sent: Fri, April 30, 2010 6:25:44 AM
    Subject: OPT OUT ** boomer1949 ** OPT OUT

Thanks, but no thanks. I am an intelligent grownup and don’t require badges for my opinions or self-esteem.

Respectfully,
    boomer1949

Boomer, you rock! Hey, BTW, did you get my email?

• Chernynkaya says:

I did the same thing yesterday, Boomer. I have a feeling that pretty soon, it’ll be a “badge” of honor NOT to have any badges.

• escribacat says:

I did as well and they went away, but they were back this morning!

• PepeLepew says:

That’s already happening. A whole slew of people got rid of theirs.

What I hope doesn’t happen, and I was already starting to see it happen, is open hostility toward the individuals who choose to keep theirs.

• escribacat says:

Yes, I’ve seen the word “snitch” thrown around.

• Chernynkaya says:

The thing is, the badge system is inherently divisive. I liked the idea that responsible posters could have more power in flagging, but I did not want to be publicly named as a moderator. I will not be hostile to those who keep their badges, but others are. So, what is their motivation for the badges? I think they wanted divisivness. Divide and conquer is an age-old strategy. I think maybe they also wanted to maybe break up cliques?

• PepeLepew says:

Yup, it’s a better idea to handle it privately.

• LiseLives says:

Cher, I agree -- I think Huff has been flagrant about wanting those extra ‘clicks’ --
            I think that’s at the bottom of this badge system, to create a stir, controversy & divisiveness --
            Anybody who’s got any class will not want to participate in Huff’s manipulative tactics IMO --

4. PatsyT says:

Mystery solved
    It was Arianna in that Chucky costume.
    Now I know how she got her start.

Funny, I thought she was the big cheese.

• LiseLives says:

No, she just cuts the cheese 😀

• choicelady says:

AdLib -- that’s what she is NOW, but she started as a clump of curds. Have to EARN the Big Cheese position -- or buy it.

Did you see the print news item that she’s moving AWAY from any image as a left-liberal blog to be more “mainstream” news oriented? Since mainstream today is capitulating to the corporate and conservative mind set, we now have our answer to why HuffPo is no longer very useful to us.

And I agree with boomer et al. that I am an adult and do not need or want “badges”. Gave up Girl Scouts quite a long time ago. Never HAVE been to a Chuck E. Cheese.

5. whatsthatsound says:

There are three badges: the Foosball Badge, the Hendrix playing “The Star Spangled Banner” at Woodstock Badge, and the Superhero Grabbing His Crotch Badge. I have no idea what they’re good for, but the Hendrix one is the coolest looking.

I am a “Huffpost Community Moderator”.

I don’t care about the rest, and lord help me -- I’ve linked to three very specific stories on Facebook, but a purple one would not be a badge of pride.

But, gosh, sue me. I sorta like that they are recognizing those whom flag responsibly. I haven’t tested my supposed deletion powers yet.

I haven’t checked e-mail for a while, so didn’t know about the opt-out. I’ll ride this one out to see how it goes.

But, “the follow this poster on twitter” had me gag.

I agree, it’s a lot of flashy neon that just ties up my computer and is super annoying and tacky.

But, I treat a poster the same whether they are new or not, and, having never fished for fans, sorta take it as a gauge of my thoughtfulness in some small part -- like, I see a new fan often after leaving a comment on Iran.

Although, being part of the accepted crowd has most definitely contributed a great part. And many do lord over others with their fan tally.

Hope you recognize that my issues are with the environment they set up there, not with the good citizen bloggers there.

I agree with you that it is nice to be recognized for making a lot of contributions and as I’ve mentioned, I suggested to them multiple times that they should allow responsible members of the community to help moderate.

However, I don’t think this is a thoughtful way to do it. Anonymity is the smartest way, by putting badges on a segment of members, different classes of bloggers are created and as has already been the case, causes some to be elitists and others to resent them and initiate conflicts.

Blogs can be a messy business, lots of people’s feelings to consider, I don’t think this was very well thought out.

Totally understood. I could do without the hassle of being called a snitch. I don’t want the comment to come that he’s just working for the next level by being a Stasi.

Yeah, sorry to take it kinda personally, ’cause I totally do see the consequences of the needless bling in those more prone to flashy objects.

Also, it can turn good people bad.

• LiseLives says:

I created an email address for that moniker only & didn’t keep the log-in info, damn it !

7. Questinia says:

The idea struck me as very Republican.

8. LiseLives says:

Update : At Huff, it’s getting many ANTI votes -- even from those with multi-badges --

• Chernynkaya says:

Let’s see if they really mean it by emailing their request to opt out. It’ll be interesting.

• escribacat says:

Yes, it’s interesting. I opted out this morning and got rid of my “badgers.” Most people still seem to have them even while they complain. I also was a bit surprised to see one long-time poster get a bit puffed up about the whole thing. Weird!!

• PepeLepew says:

There’s anger all around. Some of it justified.

But, that being said, It is REALLY funny reading all the whiny posts from the trolls, because almost none of them have any moderation powers. Only one that I know of.

9. AuntieChrist says:

Hi, all.

I’m going to post to Huff… we’ll see if I get deleted (again)

” width=”500″ alt=”img1″ />

” width=”500″ alt=”img2″ />

10. Questinia says:

I think it’s a social experiment. Someone’s going for a post-doc.

11. LiseLives says:

At this pivotal moment, I’d ask that everyone give me a :worship: / :bow: smiley -- cause I need to know how incredibly reveled (no!, not revolting) I am --
    :mrgreen:

12. Questinia says:

All those carnival bells and whistles gave me a seizure and since I’m a nobody, I was left for dead on the side of the thread.

Big mistake. Stupid as that “forum/smilies” fiasco at FRT.

Someone just posted this at HP:

” alt=”ah” />

14. LiseLives says:

I want a PlanetPOV badge …..NOW ! I want special status !!
    wahhhh (soooo kidding)
    :mrgreen:

• KQ says:

I’ll give you a pass to post about anything you want. You can even post with over 250 words, pictures and videos. They may have access to the “kiddy pool” there but here you get to relax with only adults in our “adult swim”.

BTW “adult swims” in our community pool growing up were awesome. I could not wait to turn 18 (as he shows his age). You were able to BYOB, play volleyball, swim and they even had rock bands. We lived about 250 meters away from the pool and a couple parks so we could hear the music on our front porch even when I was too young to go. I’m sure all that is gone now but great memories.

• LiseLives says:

As I swing on my porch swing 😉 : yes, those were the days alright --
        I can remember late, late night skating in Quebec on natural frozen ponds, when it was SAFE for kids to be out ’til all hours for a special night under the stars ….

Okay. You’re PlanetPOV Milk Monitor!