boomer1949 On April - 27 - 2010

From The Daily Tail

Buddy the German Shepherd is the impersonation of canine hero Rin Tin Tin.

A fire broke out on April 4, when the heater ignited chemicals at a workshop in Caswell Lake, Alaska. The workshop owner, 23-year-old Ben Heinrichs, told his dog, Buddy, they needed to get help. Buddy dashed into the dark.

Alaska State Trooper Terrence Shanigan was struggling to find the fire in the area, which has approximately 75 miles of back roads. Neighbors of the Henrichs had just left a frantic phone message calling for help. Shanigan’s global positioning device froze up on him and dispatch was trying to pinpoint the address among the maze of roads covered in snow.

A videocamera from the Alaska State Troopers shows Buddy running to meet the vehicle. Then he leads the car through winding back roads, racing to the house.

Buddy and Heinrichs are fine. The hero dog got an engraved silver-plated dog bowl as an award from the troopers. Way to go, Buddy!

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3JH76XRgE

Categories: News & Politics

Written by boomer1949

...do the right thing because it is the right thing to do... Political Views: neutral...lean toward humanity

1. escribacat says:

Love this story!

I need to take a little survey. I work in my living room in the front of the house. In the back yard I have an outdoor table where I always put peanuts and sunflower seeds for the squirrels and bluejays, plus a bird feeder. The past few weeks, one of the younger squirrels has been coming around to the front of the house and crawling up the screen on a big front window. As soon as I get up, he runs down and heads back to the back yard, where I soon show up with his treat.

Now tell me, have I been trained or not?

• boomer1949 says:

A few years ago an acquaintance of mine had been unwell for about a month. Each day she became more lethargic and all she wanted to do was sleep. The night her husband finally took her to the emergency department, the family dog had been in her face and literally kept her from falling asleep.

Turned out the woman had a bleeding ulcer that had gone undetected for months. The doctor told the family that had it not been for the dog refusing to let the woman sleep, she would have gone into a coma and died.

2. choicelady says:

I saw this, too, and it was amazing! Most of all, the TROOPER was amazing to trust this dog was leading him where he needed to go! How many times on “Lassie” did the humans screw up and not believe the dog? So a little credit to the trooper, too. But this is not an uncommon story. Even my cat intervened to protect me twice against “trouble” as she perceived it. It was very meaningful to see her defend me against what she thought was going to harm me, including the cable repair guy who had the NERVE to touch our house before being introduced! I had to hold her back from attacking him! The loyalty between animals and humans is just amazing. And humanity too often repays it with abuse and cruelty. Caring for them, rescuing them, is a life goal for me. All animals deserve that -- they have given us so much, even if it’s just licks and comfort.

• boomer1949 says:

CL,

I have cats, but only because I live in an apartment. However, at one time I had a Westie and a Golden Retriever. I love dogs as well, but since I’m not home during the day and don’t have a fenced in yard anyway, it doesn’t seem fair. The cats are independent souls, keep each other company, and are still at the door waiting for me when I get home.

3. Chernynkaya says:

Boomer, I love this doggy story. Dogs-- all of

4. Suzanne525 says:

I saw this on TV this weekend. Really looks like the dog knows exactly what he is doing. Whether his assistance was necessary or not is unimportant, in my opinion.

I LOVE dogs. Right after I saw the video, I wanted to run out and get a German Shepard, even though I feared them as a child. One bit me when I was 6 and I carried the fear for years.

On my way home last night, I noticed the car in front of me had multiple bumper stickers, refering to “trainer of aid dogs” and “flat coat retrievers” (one of my personal favorites). I considered following her to her next stop, just to see if she had any of the cuties in her vehicle, but decided that was too stalkerish.

This is a terrific story. Thanks for sharing it, Boomer!