AdLib On April - 16 - 2010

Now that April 15th is behind us, or as it’s now referred to, “Happy Birther’s Day”, we can put aside the thought of taxes for another year. We are, right now, Tax Free.

So, in keeping with that, today’s music thread theme is about being taxed (having or not having money, working hard at something) or not being taxed (taking it easy, feeling relieved, foot loose and fancy free).

Now don’t tax your brain trying to come up with videos!

First, some money-themed songs…bet you can guess my first pick:

Money – Pink Floyd

Money – N.A.S.A

Money – The Beatles

Money – Caberet (Liza Minnelli & Joel Grey)

Money For Nothing – Dire Straits

Gimmie Some Money – Spinal Tap

The Money Song – Monty Python

Now, a few about not being taxed in a different way:

Hanginaround – Counting Crows

Take It Easy – The Eagles

On An Island – David Gilmour

Margaritville – Jimmy Buffett

Tired of Being Admired – Blazing Saddles (Madeline Kahn)

Categories: Music Thread, PlanetPOV

1. SanityNow says:

RIP Malcolm McLaren

2. LiseLives says:

Money / possession-relevant :

Imagine …………….by our brother John Lennon --

Killing Joke -- Money is not our God

Nirvana -- Swap Meet (I can’t believe this song is over 20 years old…)

The Redskins -- The Che Men (featuring UK’s miners’ strike)

4. LiseLives says:

No song, just a message :
    For those Planeteers who are currently without work, if anyone would like to know about starting an on-line bus., email me through an admin.
    I’d be very happy to help, it’s easier than one would think : choose a service or product that inspires you, make up a website (I have someone, a good-guy friend who’s super inexpensive) & I volunteer to guide the process of starting it up --

KMFDM -- Money

Godsmack -- Greed (Live)

RATM -- Down Rodeo

6. LiseLives says:

Joan Baez -- ………..Diamonds & Rust (this one brings back many memories) --

Monty Python. Money Song. 😳 sorry AdLib, didn’t see yours.

Chris Rock -- Champagne

SNL (ft. T-Pain) -- I’m on a Boat

9. TheRarestPatriot says:

And I wanted to post this as Peter Gabriel is my favorite artist on earth and with employment and my situation personally, …I thought perhaps this extraordinary song might inspire, lift up and carry all of us ‘losers’ out of the darkness…

Please listen to this: This is my life…seriously..then wipe away that tear…

• PatsyT says:

Rarest,
      I know a time will come, and soon, when you look back and smile because you made it and you are stronger for all that you have gone through. Do you know that half the battle is being able to express yourself and talk about things, Rarest you are at least halfway there.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Thank you Patsy…although, there are times I think I may be a bit too open with my emotions…:-) People just bail from misery…it’s hard to blame them, of course…

• nottoolate says:

OCMS: We’re All in This Thing Together

And if that’s too slow for you, try this OCMS, Tear It Down. Even if you have to Google the lyrics as I did, it’s a barnburner. BTW, the happy old lady with the black purse looks like me.

• LiseLives says:

We’re here & avail. to help you build courage.
          You’re strong enough to talk about it, you’re strong enough to make it through.
          Remember : yes we can ? -- yes you can 😉

• LiseLives says:

Very true Patsy -- opening up is imperative, otherwise it can feel as though it’s choking you --
        One thing I found during my rough time was that some of the people you’ve known a long time & that you’d think would be there for you seemed more disappointed that you weren’t ‘currently’ the constant success their illusion of you told them you should be --
        That’s the time to forgive the various levels of empathy (or its inadequacies), pull up your own bootstraps, & never ever lose your own self-esteem & self-respect.

• PatsyT says:

Lise the old saying-
          -You can’t fix a problem that you can’t recognize.-
          Rarest is very eloquent when it comes to expressing himself.
          That has to be most of the battle right there.
          He is willing to look at things
          That is a true accomplishment
          I hope he gives himself some credit for that.
          Pssst . . . . we love you Rarest

• KQ says:

Thanks. I played this song many times in my life because it gives me so much inspiration.

• LiseLives says:

This song is so powerful and brings me to tears every time --
      did it this time too --
      RarestP : Please don’t ever refer to yourself or anyone who has the willingness & drive to work ‘losers’ -- it’s a very tough time & actually I really do cry for the ones who would work, but just can’t find the open spot right now --
      Can I ask what line of work you’re usually in ?

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Oh Lise, …where do I start? Everyone here knows my story and trust me…I’m in a very bad place. Wife is divorcing me, miss my daughters madly, haven’t worked in over a year, and once my house sells at a loss I will be homeless if I can’t find work. That’s why this song is my anthem. I know you didn’t know.

and by ‘losers’ I was simply referring to the line in the song, …”and no one wants you when you lose”…

I’ve lost so…too much…

So, trust me…I wipe away the tears, too…

10. TheRarestPatriot says:

Oh why not…
    Steve Miller’s “take the money and run”