AdLib On April - 1 - 2010

This is either a brilliant strategic move by the GOP to put Dems and Pres. Obama on the spot or the polling may be showing that being the Party of No and repealing HCR is a losing proposition in November.

If you didn’t see the press conference this morning, John Boehner and Eric Cantor announced that they will be working together to change the tone in Washington from division to one of cooperation, vowing to work with Pres. Obama “even when we disagree”.

“Politics is about compromise, we’re willing to to compromise if President Obama and Democrats in Congress are willing to do the same. We want to do our job and do what’s best for this nation,” Cantor stated.

What I found most remarkable was Boehner’s and Cantor’s criticism of the hatred coming from the right, “Let me be clear, though we may agree on many of the issues, those on the Right who practice hatred or violence towards their fellow Americans on the grounds of political differences do a disservice to the Republican Party. They are not reflecting the true values of this nation and we call on them to put such behavior aside, working instead in constructive ways to advance our causes. We are one country and one people  but we are all entitled to our own beliefs,” Boehner expressed.

Who woulda thunk it?

No reaction from Pres. Obama yet but they must be stunned.

Maybe the Repubs believe that they’ll take over one or both houses of Congress in November and are trying to paint Dems in a corner if they become the minority.

Whatever the case, it seems that the GOP is cleverly tacking back towards the mainstream, possibly rescuing their party from fully diminishing into an extremist cult and becoming a permanent minority party.

This reversal and the prospect of politicians possibly returning to exhibiting a modicum of respect for each other and the government of this nation functioning once again for the benefit of the people is virtually unbelieveable.

Oh, and Happy April Fools Day!

Categories: News & Politics

“HELL NO!!!”

Just loved the photo and feel that I know just what Nancy would love to do with the gavel if she could. Very funny AdLib. A bit late to the party, sorry. 😳

2. javaz says:

Well, DOH!

After reading the headline, I went in search of the actual article and then it struck me that it had to be an April Fool! because it just makes too much sense.

Ya got me, AdLib!

(at least I figured it out before getting to the end of the article!)

That’ll teach me to read the entire article before going in search of --

:roll:

3. boomer1949 says:

And I was hoping she was going to hit him over the head with the gavel. :sad:

It would be a cold day in Hell, April Fool’s Day or otherwise, before any of the above would ever happen.

Hope this gets picked up by the wire services -- can you imagine the big red headlines? 😆 😆 😆

4. Chernynkaya says:

Another funny from The Onion:

Body Of Missing Mad Magazine Reporter Found In Blecchistan
    “/>

“Phil Fonebone’s death was a brutal act of barbarism perpetrated by a group of clods, finks, and schmendricks who stand in direct opposition to the values we cherish as a democratic society,” read a statement issued by Mad magazine. “On behalf of journalists and freedom lovers everywhere, we condemn this senseless, furshlugginer act of violence.”

5. nellie says:

You know, AdLib — this is a pretty good commentary on the state of things. This “report” is so reasonable and within the bounds of sensible expectation — it’s easy to believe. Ironic, isn’t it, that it works so well as a really good April Fools gotcha.

Excellent point. That struck me as I was editing it. I took out a couple of other elements that I thought might be a tip off but they were all reasonable things too.

It is a bit sad to think that attributing reasonable decisions to Republicans would not only be news, too much reasonable behavior would strain belief.

6. Chernynkaya says:

I think we should also try to caption that photo of Pelosi and Boner.

7. nellie says:

As they say, “The proof is in the pudding.”

I’m waiting for the next vote in congress before I give this any credence.

Thanks for the post, AdLib. If nothing else, it’s an interesting turn in rhetoric.

EDIT: HA! I just read the last line. Good one!

8. escribacat says:

Somebody must have had a “come to Jesus” talk with these guys.

EDIT: There’s a sucker born every minute. I owe you one, adlib!!! 😆

9. SueInCa says:

A republican was sitting at his campaign headquarters watching the election results when the phone rang.
    He listened intently, and after a moment his face brightened. When he hung up, he immediately turned to his mother to tell her the good news.

“Ma,” he said, “the results are in. I won the election!”

“Honestly?”

The politician’s smiled faded. “Aw, heck, Ma, why bring that up at a time like this?”

10. KQ says:

Thank God for the edit button because you fooled me since I did not read the whole post at first.

11. PatsyT says:

Why is it that you can’t circumcise Republicans ?

12. PatsyT says:

How many republicans does it take to screw in a light bulb?