bito On March - 15 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing?  Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you?  Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan  Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Related articles
Categories: Time Out for OT

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1,317 Responses so far.

1. escribacat says:

Rolling Teabagger Review hits Denver:

“We want everyone to remember why we are the strong country we are,” said Eric Olsen, of the Montana Tea Party. “We are for limited government, lower taxes, high wages, more freedoms. We are worried about all that, so that is why we tea party.”

I’d like to ask this guy how he plans to get those “high wages.”

2. bitohistory says:

Last day tomorrow- a long day, so I am going to say good night PPOV.
    peace

3. bitohistory says:

This story looks like a good news story for women in the WH:

White House website highlights senior level female staff

President Obama Announces White House Council on Women and Girls

We’ve just been informed by a loudspeaker that we all have to meet at our local Ward Office to register for a compulsory course in synchronized swimming, I can only find one part of my over 20 something year old bikini, now what?

• Chernynkaya says:

That depends-- which part of the bikini do you still have?

Guess, we used to go topless in Bali. :)

Actually a bit early for you I know, but APRIL FOOL!!!!

• Chernynkaya says:

Why you…! I love April Fool’s day! A few years ago, NPR totally got me on April 1. I was driving to some friend’s and the trip was just long enough for me to hear this news report, by Noah Adams:

Vermont and Canadian maple syrup farmers have seen a decline in sales of syrup and consequently, have stopped tapping their maple trees as frequently as in the past.

This had led to the abandonment of farms and the maple trees. Even on working farms, farmers have left many trees untapped. In this situation, the trees are in danger of exploding. One death, of Mr. Homer Hudson of Greenville, VT, was reported. The witness said, “The tree just blew sky high. Syrup everywhere, and poor Hudson got hit by a big branch.”

So I was fully taken in by the “news” story and when I got to my friend’s, told her. She then reminded me it was April 1st.

• bitohistory says:

😎 😆

5. bitohistory says:

Back from the CC, I won’t lie the days are getting tougher/rougher an tomorrow is a big push. Not looking forward to it. enough said.

This is for the Cali people.
    Whitman Touts Constitutional Challenge to Affordable Care Act

Yep, that’s right elect Meg Whitman and she will sue to get rid of that nasty health care!

Whitman was asked by an attendee at a Redondo Beach campaign event whether as governor she would

• KQ says:

[email protected]#[email protected]#$ MOTHER [email protected]#$ING [email protected]#$Ty A$$ MEDS!

Yeah “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” is another piece of BS people who never went through a health crisis say.

Running on a platform to deny children healthcare in CA. Good luck with that Witless.

Take care dude. Getting plenty of rest is the only thing that really makes you feel better.

b’ito, I have to hand it to you. You’re able to stay tuned in to what’s going on in the world and focus on thinking about it even when you’re feeling lousy. That takes strength!

The vast majority of us (certainly me) can think only about how crummy we feel and the wider world sort of fades out of the picture.

Don’t mean to embarrass you, but…wow…

I just got back home from a Tenebrae service at church. Don’t know if you’re familiar with this aspect of lent, but there’s a ritual of chanting the Lamentations of the Old Testament while gradually every light/candle in the church is extinguished until the church is in total darkness. It’s a really moving ceremony that’s supposed to remind us that just about the time things are looking really bleak and darkness seems to have closed in, hope is about to re-emerge. I hope after the big push tomorrow, that is your experience, too.

• Chernynkaya says:

Kes, I love the sound of that service!

Cher, I was thinking of you, b’ito and everyone here during the service. I wish you could have been there. It was in a gigantic old cathedral, and you would hardly believe the complete silence that prevailed (with hundreds of people there) in that darkness. Quite an experience.

• bitohistory says:

k’es, I have all of you on this site to thank for keeping me going. I feel it helps me to try to keep my muddy brain trying to work.

I don’t remember that service in the Lutheran service. Being an alter boy I sure as hell remember a hell of a lot of candles to light and snuff and getting communion things together. Always “loved” it when my partner didn’t show.
        Everyone wanted to leave and I had to snuff what seemed lie 8 million candles by my self. 😆

Good evening bito, I’m rooting for you, but you already know that. When do you get a break from the treatment?

• bitohistory says:

About 6:30 and I go back in at 9:00a tomorrow.for 6 1/2-7 hrs. Bit foggy right now.

Hang in there bito. Will that be the last one this week, I hope so.

• bitohistory says:

Yes Kalima last one for the week then 28 days off. Takes about 20-30 days to lose your hair. Next cycle I will be bald. Saves on shampoo $$. 😉

Hair always grows back and I’m sure that you will still look very dashing.

I should think that by the sound of it, tomorrow sounds like a “Whopper” dose. I’ll see you in my dreams no doubt. :)

• Chernynkaya says:

Bito-- first, thanks for posting that about Whitman!! Such good news, because that’s the end of her in CA! This state is not red, even though we often have Rep Governors. Excellent.

About tomorrow-- stay strong, Bito! This is a terrible trial by fire, but you’ll come out the other side of it much better. I am just so sorry that you have to go through it.

6. javaz says:

Poisson D’Avril or April Fools Day -- a few hours early, but am going off since I must get up at 3:00 tomorrow morning and finish the prep for the dreaded ‘procedure.’

Am anxious for this to be over and for it to be Friday!

PBS in our area has a great show on tonight called the ‘Apollo Wives’ -- the wives stories about their husbands and the right stuff.

Hope you all have a great night and better tomorrow!

Oh, am re-posting this site as it is hilarious!

7. bitohistory says:

Speaking of tax policy and changing the least little bit in these corps…

Because of the changes in the HCR they are bitching because they can no longer double dip on their taxes,

Today, Boeing Co. is the latest corporation to complain, announcing that it expects to take a $150 million tax hit because of the new law:

8. KQ says:

Someone asked for dueling banjos.

9. javaz says:

Question for Sister Sarah --

“How’s that fiscally conservatively thingy working out for Alaska?”

Sarah Palin has long sold herself as a fiscal conservative, arguing against the Democrats’ health overhaul on the grounds that the nation simply can’t afford it.

But when the former vice presidential candidate resigned as governor of Alaska in the summer of 2009, she left the state with a 70 percent debt-to-GDP ratio — the highest state debt burden in the United States.

That’s according to data compiled by the Washington Independent’s Megan Carpentier, who notes that Alaska has a debt burden similar to “that of Jordan and Palin’s favorite health care resource, Canada, and a higher ratio than Ghana, Cote d’Ivoire, India, the Philippines or Uruguay.”

By comparison, crisis-stricken California has a debt ratio of less than 40 percent. All the more confounding about Alaska’s debt is the fact that it is an oil-producing region with a small population to share in that wealth. Oil-rich Alberta, Canada, for example, collects no sales tax and still managed to retire its debt entirely in 2004.

While Alaska’s massive debt burden can’t be blamed entirely on Palin’s two-and-a-half-year stint as governor, she did face similar debt problems while mayor of Wasilla, and those appear to be of her own making.

Fucking Hell. There, I got your attention. Why censorship can be so absurd:

For effing sake, The Sun even blurred out this legitimate village’s name on its sign. :roll:

11. SanityNow says:

here is an interesting counterpoint to angry progressives from a…progressive? Austin Science Policy Examiner’s Steven Andrews makes some very pragmatic points. I think I agree with him although it doesn’t (the new policy) sit very quietly with me.

(I should also add as a post script that I believe that this is more about putting some protections in place that haven’t been in place since 2008 and that actual drilling won’t take place, if ever, for many years. I think what is truly at the heart of this move is to further box in the Republicans with their own rhetoric no matter what they say. Either they get behind what they have said in the past ( ” We must be open to all energy independence options” , not likely since Obama is for it now) or they will continue to follow their zero sum game of complete obstruction (highly likely).)

• nellie says:

Excellent article, SN. Yes, I know there are political and practical reasons for this policy, but it makes me want to go home and hug one of my trees.

• SanityNow says:

unfortunately or fortunately, I am not always sure which, there just really aren’t many alternatives than to trust that president Obama and his advisers actually know what they are doing. I mean, regardless of all the hullabaloo we have witnessed and continue to witness, HCR actually passed and was signed in to law after not a single president was able to do that since Roosevelt, Teddy started talking about that subject in 1901.

12. javaz says:

Levi Johnson competing with Sister Sarah for an Alaskan Reality TV Show?

(cue Dueling Banjos)

• bitohistory says:

OMG T his is too much! S’arah new show scheduled for tomorrow, turns out to be a fraud.

Palin Can Now Add

• javaz says:

Hey b’ito!

I can answer what the heck that crap is --

It’s FOX owning the GOP and Sarah Palin is their darling media super star!

Just ask McCain!

I’m curious if Welch will do the right thing and speak out since he spoke against the Republicans voting no on HCR.

Then again, Welch is a typical greedy man without a conscience or soul, so his “interview” with Sarah might be a good thing for him, as long as they pay him for it!

• escribacat says:

Those two are quite alike actually.

13. javaz says:

You think the choice between McCain and Hayworth is bad?

Just imagine Russell Pearce replacing Sheriff Joe!

There’s been a whiff of brimstone in the air with the rumor that state Senator Russell Pearce, the most bigoted public servant in Arizona (and that’s saying a lot), has been actively lobbying Maricopa County to become its replacement sheriff, should Arpaio run for governor, keel over, or be indicted and removed from office, whichever comes first.

Over at the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors, which would appoint a replacement for Arpaio should he no longer be able to serve, spokeswoman Cari Gerchick said she knew of no such effort from Pearce.

The rumors have it that there’s been a letter from Pearce to the BOS. Gerchick said there’s no letter to her knowledge.

Adding a little fuel to the speculation was a report on Monday’s CBS 5 newscast that Pearce would be delighted to have Joe’s job should it ever become available.

“Would I consider it? Absolutely,” Pearce told CBS 5 when asked. “I love those folks. I love law enforcement. Public safety is my number one issue, always has been.

“I clearly have a love for law enforcement, and it would be a serious consideration if something happened there.”

Actually, it’s not news that Pearce craves the post of sheriff. When Arpaio first ran back in 1992, he vowed to serve only one term. Many assumed that his Chief Deputy Russell Pearce was his heir apparent.

That’s right, Russell Pearce used to be Arpaio’s David Hendershott, before Hendershott filled that role so amply. In fact, Pearce is usually credited with coming up with the idea of using surplus tents to create Tent City.

Arizona is desperately trying to lure businesses by offering the lowest tax rates in the country, yet what sort of business would want to relocate to a state that’s going backwards fast to the 1950’s?

And speaking of warped -- gun legislation that no longer requires background checks?
    So, our wonderful pro-gun Republican Governor and Legislature have no problem selling guns to convicted felons?

14. nellie says:

I’m a bit of a transportation wonk, and given this morning’s announcement about off shore drilling, this petition seems timely. If you have the interest, please sign.

Thanks,
    nel

Call for big, bold change

Every six years, Congress sets the country’s transportation and infrastructure priorities

• PatsyT says:

I’ll sign that and send it around ! Thanks Nellie.

• Chernynkaya says:

Done, Nellie. Thanks.

• SueInCa says:

Nellie
      Signed sealed delivered. I hope there will be another against the newly announced off-shore drilling policy. This is where the President and I differ. When was the last time Big Oil ever protected the environment over their drilling profits?

• nellie says:

The president is totally off base when it comes to the environment, IMO. Clean coal? Please.

I’m glad he opened up the 1M acres of wilderness areas, but then he let people carry guns there. 😡

And this off shore drilling is a non starter for me — although I think I understand why it’s being done. We’re trying for energy independence, and there are some industrial processes that can’t be done without oil. People don’t talk about manufacturing processes and heavy vehicles, and that part of the conversation is very important when we’re trying to develop clean, green energy. We need to talk about more than cars and residential electricity.

• escribacat says:

I agree, Nellie. I’m not crazy about the clean coal, nukes, or offshore drilling he is proposing. I’m not having a meltdown over it though. I suppose I’m in “wait and see” mode.

• Chernynkaya says:

Nellie, I agree about Obama and environmentalism. In this case, I think he may be doing this partly because of C&T legislation he wants passed and is heading off Rep protests that ” we have untapped resources right here!” Right, about, what, 1% of the oil we need?

I don’t think he’s really courting Repub votes, just taking away one of their obstructionist talking points. And he knows they’ll be screeching, “Drill, baby, drill!”

• nellie says:

I heard this argument this morning on the radio — that this is the same route he took to health care reform. I thought that was a good point. But I also think this president tends to be more conservative than people think — and he may have new information that has persuaded him that this is a necessary step.

I’m not going to get too upset about this, because I realize 1) that it will be a long time before we even know what’s going to be made out of these leases, and 2) political rhetoric matters. I doubt anyone could build political capital based on my environmental vision — solar on every roof, massive funding for public transportation infrastructure, a moratorium on all commercial and residential development, and population control. :mrgreen:

• javaz says:

Nellie, do you remember the loopholes from the Clinton Administration that Oil Companies use to get out of paying taxes for drilling off-shore and not paying the US for the oil they pump?

Have you heard anything at all about the Obama Administration closing that loophole and going after the Oil Companies for past due taxes and paying us for the oil they pump?

The Republicans will fight tooth and nail against any regulations on Big Oil, but this needs to be fixed!

• nellie says:

I haven’t heard about O or congress doing anything to close tax loopholes, but that would be awesome.

If we thought the health care fight was bad, wait until we get into the tax code. It’s really going to get ugly.

• bitohistory says:

Sue, did you see my note to you about thr Diane Rehm show on RR Militias?

Worth a listen if you can.

• SueInCa says:

Tanks, Bito. I will take a listen. Hope you are doing ok today. I saw where they told you to cut your hair. My friend Amy told me they told her that in order to diminish the shack factor when her hair started to fall out. Her short haircut looked fabulous on her and her head wraps I thought were a bold fashion statement.

• bitohistory says:

Sue, I didn’t cut it last time and it was a shock. I figured this time I will get it cut and give my self a couple of weeks to get used to it. My mother (who wore her hair in a bun) got her hair cut before treatment, I cried, she laughed. 😆