KQµårk 死神 On March - 12 - 2010

When AdLib said he was going out of town I said I would cover the music night thread again since taking a break. So I thought this theme was apropos. I have fun doing the music thread but I just got tired of hearing what I wanted to hear and see what other members taste in music was. I love covers because they are different, not necessarily better than the original and most times not, but just different. The bigger the difference the interpretation from the original song the better.

In My Life – Dave Mathews – Beatles Cover (I could probably do a whole post on Beatles’ covers alone but I stopped at two)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-YIizsMrSE[/youtube]

Strawberry Fields Forever – Candy Flip – Beatles Cover

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DjWpq8Oyoc[/youtube]

Another Brick in the Wall – KoRn – Pink Floyd Cover

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Ki2DJfhns[/youtube]

Smells Like Teen Spirit (Remix) – Tori Amos – Nirvana Cover

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFQc0yIzQJ0[/youtube]

Message in a Bottle – Sting – The Police (Sting covers his own song)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEBbIq2atrw&feature=related[/youtube]

Billy Jean – Chris Cornell – Micheal Jackson Cover

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epXN1eUkFGU[/youtube]

Stand By Me – Playing for Change – Song Around the World

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-TVg40ExM[/youtube]

Categories: Music Thread

Written by KQµårk 死神

My PlanetPOV contact is [email protected] Proud Dem whose favorite hobby is cat herding. The GOP is not a political party, it's a personality disorder. Cancer, Heart Failure and Bush Survivor.

Totally forgot this:

Cake -- I Will Survive:

I can’t believe I forgot this last night.

The Azoic -- Obsession

And, another cheesy 80s one…

Laibach -- Final Countdown

Two early 70’s covers:

Rasputina -- Brand New Key

Bauhaus -- Spirit in the Sky (fan club recording, only 200 records ever pressed)

Finally, a Bob Dylan cover:

Nick Cave, Kylie Minogue and Shane MacGowen -- Death is not the End

3. bitohistory says:

“ASCAP and BMI want my dough. If you play covers, out you go.”

“Who Needs Labels When You Got ASCAP?”
    by Laura Sydell

Interesting look at the music makers shunning labels and still making money

Radiohead was one of the first, when they released In Rainbows online for free/donations.

Many more have been moving towards distributing online, including Nine Inch Nails, who quit their label as well.

This one’s to crappy Big Labels (especially WMG -- the NBC of YouTube):

4. BlueStateMan says:

“BlueState” (best name for a band EVER 😉

“Can’t Find My Way Home” ~~ Cajun funk style.

Video say “L.A. Based” but they’re Aussies.

I swear I’ve heard that before…

I would’ve miked up drums better, but then again, I think they were goin’ for the damp ambient sound.

Laibach -- War (make you think, this one will)

KMFDM -- Mysterious Ways

Electric Hellfire Club -- Sunday Bloody Sunday

Unto Ashes -- Don’t Fear the Reaper

Black Tape for a Blue Girl -- Knock Three Times (Tony Orlando “interpretation”)

6. Blues Tiger says:

Hayseed Dixie

YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG

Bohemian Rhapsody

Metallica covers:

Apoptygma Berzerk -- Fade to Black

Die Krupps -- Battery

Razed in Black -- Damage Inc.

Gregorian -- Nothing Else Matters

8. Chernynkaya says:

Just want to say goodnight. When I stare at the screen for 10 minutes and forget to reload the page, I know I am tired! Thanks for all the support again, guys!

Funny covers (not Weird Al):

Dresden Dolls -- I Got You Babe, Hit Me Baby One More Time

Bigod 20 -- Like a Prayer

Children of Bodom -- Oops I Did It Again

The Infamous Dutch Barbie Girl:

Non-funny

Fear Factory -- Cars

Nirvana -- the Man Who Sold the World

10. FlyingLotus says:

In keeping with KQ’s theme of the Beatles…

Easy Star All Stars/A day in the Life

Caetano Veloso/Eleanor Rigby

Easy Star All Stars/Money/Pink Floyd

Caetano Veloso/Billie Jean/Michael Jackson

11. Chernynkaya says:

Don’t y’all leave me now! Vox Populi is about to begin. Click the Vox Populi button above the Recent Posts column, please.

12. boomer1949 says:

OMG — it’s pledge week locally for PBS — Ed Sullivan believe it or not. Jim Morrison and the Doors were so screwed, especially for using the word “higher” on air during Light My Fire.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the movie? Val Kilmer had Morrison down pat.

The Doors Live (Winterland 1967) the man was brilliant, a poet, a lyricist, had much to say, and died way before his time. OMG — the man was 9 years older than I. We boomers lost many who questioned, challenged, and wouldn’t put up with a bunch of crap. Why should 2010 be any different? And…if you haven’t seen the movie, I suggest you do so.

All Depeche Mode covers:

Tre Lux -- Never Let Me Down Again

Lacuna Coil -- Enjoy the Silence (who can name the city in the vid?!)

Razed in Black -- Lie to Me

Marilyn Manson -- Personal Jesus

Rammstein -- Stripped

Okay, one out there Doors cover:

Alien Sex Fiend -- Five to One