KQµårk 死神 On March - 9 - 2010

OK I refuse to watch Beck but from what I heard about Massa’s interview with him it was just strange in some ways. I know very little about Massa and he’s innocent until anything is proven but wow one of his answers sounded just like the excuses men who harass women in the work place make all the time.

Click here to read whole article.

In a one-hour interview with Beck that had much of the journalism world gawking and twittering in amazement, Massa offered a series of bizarre, even inexplicable explanations for his abrupt departure from office. Coming just hours after news broke that the he was under investigation for groping multiple male staffers, Massa insisted that the interactions were playful in nature, though inappropriate in retrospect.

“Not only did I grope him, I tickled him until he couldn’t breathe,” he said. “I should have never allowed myself to be as familiar with my staff as I was… I own this misbehavior.”

If that wasn’t enough of a head-scratcher, Massa grew even more cryptic and bizarre when the topic turned to his insistence that Democratic forces had forced him out of office — because they were so worried that he would derail health care reform. He did say that the decision “not to run again” was his and his alone — but he still pegged his immediate resignation to White House brow-beating.

And yet, the only evidence he could summon was basic and formulaic types of political pressure.

“It literally keeps me awake at night,” he said. “Glenn, I have had people come to me, union leaders — and I’m a union guy and I know you’re not — who look at me and said, ‘If you don’t support this health care bill, I will not contribute to your campaign’. Glenn that’s a bribe.”

Even Beck wasn’t buying it, pointing out that what Massa was talking about was, in fact, just lobbying.

His last comment sounds equally as strange. If labour unions can’t lobby to fight corporations than we are surely finished. ChoiceLady may have some insight into lobbying by left leaning and truly non-partisan organizations.

Written by KQµårk 死神

My PlanetPOV contact is [email protected] Proud Dem whose favorite hobby is cat herding. The GOP is not a political party, it's a personality disorder. Cancer, Heart Failure and Bush Survivor.

1. javaz says:

Have you seen this latest on Beck, KQ?
    There is something really wrong with Beck -- he’s not rational nor is he sane.

Fox News host Glenn Beck has made a trademark of propagating outlandish conspiracy theories and far-right rhetoric, but his employers at Fox have long claimed that his views do not reflect the network

2. Chernynkaya says:

I think-- and fervently hope-- that this POS Beck has finally, at long last, gone too far. Mainstream Christian churches are firing back on Beck’s call to leave the “social justice” (i.e., actual ) churches.

I really, really hope Beck continues to urge parishioners to leave their churches!

• Blues Tiger says:

Beck is a radical Mormon ,his veiws and his bible just don’t mesh with most peoples Christian beliefs… I think the more his religous background is exposed the more movement of support away from him will occur…

The airwaves should be bombarded daily about his mentors and their veiws and connections…

3. Mightywoof says:

I know there are times when I have a truly warped sense of humour and so I apologise in advance for anyone I may offend by saying I found this site to be frickin’ hilarious 😆

Edit: Sheesh -- I thought I was in the O/T thread -- sorry!

• Chernynkaya says:

Well, pardon me, but the nihilist fanatics who believe in the approaching rapture will probably send them the $110.95. One (re)born every minute! :-)

• BigDogMom says:

WTF!…..Now I have seen everything…. 😯

• javaz says:

Oh no! That is really funny, Mightywoof!

We are a group of dedicated animal lovers, and atheists. Each Eternal Earth-Bound Pet representative is a confirmed atheist, and as such will still be here on Earth after you’ve received your reward. Our network of animal activists are committed to step in when you step up to Jesus.

4. bitohistory says:

Either Becky has some really nasty photos of Murdoch and/or Ails or this show will set all records for a “lost leader” in the history media.

TurboTax drops Glenn Beck, whose show has gone without ads for more than a month in the UK.

TurboTax

5. whatsthatsound says:

paraphrasing Elvis Costello:

Two little Messiahs will fight it out, until one little Messiah does the other one’s will.

That’s what it was like.

6. Chernynkaya says:

This just in from MoveOn re:Glenn Beck And a good spoof video!

here’s the accompanying email:

Look Who’s On Glenn Beck’s Blackboard
    Click here to watch the video
    Watch Yourself In the Video | Send To Your Friends

Dear “Cher”,

NO, I am not really on Glenn Beck’s blackboard. We are actually working with our friends at SEIU and MoveOn on this video. We wanted to use satire to make the point about how his crying on cue, his barking into the camera, and his scribbling conspiracy theories onto a chalkboard are not examples of true patriotism.

There is real pain and grief in the country right now, people are hurting, and Glenn Beck is playing on this hurt. Real hurt.

In an effort to expose him we created a cutting-edge video to show how ludicrous Glenn Beck really is. Satire has a long and important tradition and we found it appropriate as a tool to fight back against Glenn Beck’s attacks and smears. Use it to spread the word.

Check it out here and watch closely, because you won’t believe who is in it!

Yours,
    Robert Greenwald
    and the Brave New Films team

7. PatsyT says:

Sounds like Beck has exploited a cancer patient
    Nancy Pelosi Statement

ABC News’ Teddy Davis reports:

In an interview with Charlie Rose which is set to air on Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi weighed in on former Rep. Eric Massa, the New York Democrat who stepped down on Monday amid allegations of sexual misconduct with male staffers.

“This is a very sick person,” said Pelosi. “He has been diagnosed with cancer. Perhaps his judgment is impaired because of the ethical issues that have arisen, and he is no longer in the Congress.”

• KQuark says:

Like I said I did not watch it but it sounds like Massa brought this on himself, not the cancer of course but the allegations.

Massa must be getting some terrible legal advise of not heeding it like Blago. He needed to make a statement and let the dust settle instead of defending his image.

Now all that being said if this is his first bout with cancer I can say from experience it’s not an easy time to make tough decisions. My mind was swimming for a couple months. To describe the way you felt it was almost the opposite of that infatuation feeling when you fall in love if you know what I mean. At times it was like I was not even in my own body.

• tb92 says:

CBS News says that this is his third time fighting this cancer. A friend of mine, who has worked with cancer patients, says that some become irrational near the end, and she’s afraid that Massa is showing signs of that.

• bitohistory says:

If this is his third time, he should know by now that one should be cautious of decision making circumstances. In “chemo classes” and in most of the literature for both patients and care givers they are very explicit about erratic behavior. This being my second time, his behavior seems more than cancer or “chemo brain.” But I don’t know what type of lymphoma (that is what I heard he has) he has. Could be CNS lymphoma which is a strange bird and can really effect the brain.
          IMHO

8. PepeLepew says:

Pretty bad when Beck appears to be the saner of the two.

• Chernynkaya says:

Yep it sure is. The only other time that happened was when he interviewed Sister Sarah-- it was actually like watching insane asylum inmates. It starts to really go off the rails at about 5:00. :roll:

• SueInCa says:

It just makes me crazy when people interview her and others like her and do not ask serious questions. She cited the 10th amendment as a reason for no single payer healthcare or even public option when we obviously have medicare and medicaid. I would have asked her in what way is healthcare a violation of the 10th amendment? Make her spell it out and not just regurgitate talking points.

Jeez make these people back up their ridiculous statments.

That’s what I said!

Seen Beck’s Washington poster in Obama style?

Pathetic.

• Chernynkaya says:

😳 Sorry, Khirad! I didn’t read it before I posted.

• PepeLepew says:

I can’t get enough of his “I just love America so much” moment. :)

• Chernynkaya says:

He is puke-worthy!! 😡

• PepeLepew says:

Found it!

• Chernynkaya says:

OMG!! That’s priceless.

The movie is “A Face in the Crowd” and the character is Lonesome Rhodes-- a prototype of Glen Beck and his phony, folksy populism. Olbermann always refers to Beck as Lonesome Rhodes because of the movie. In the film, it exposes the Glenn Becks of the world for who they really are-- like the clip you just posted. It’s really worth renting!! The clip I posted shows how these faux patriots and “man of the people” wind up.

• PepeLepew says:

What movie was that?

Here’s a telling video of Beck!

• Chernynkaya says:

Pepe, I want that clip shown over and over-- I wish it was shown nightly on the MSM. And you know what else? On 9/12 I was confused, scared and angry--NOT feeling anything I ever want to feel again. And that’s EXACTLY what Beck is selling: FEAR and anger. Not to unite, but to cause chaos.

• Chernynkaya says:

That was just so over-the-top nauseating--God, I loathe this guy! What a hysteric, phony ham-actor performance.

Here’s where I pray he’s headed:

9. choicelady says:

Hi- One last comment before I leave the blog world (out of town, no computer -- will miss SueinCA’s wonderful series til I return.)

Sure -- unions do this all the time. It’s lobbying definitely. Unless we say ALL such comments are illegal and “bribes” it’s business as usual, and people DO have the right, even the responsibility, to say what they expect from legislators. We can debate whether that’s right morally, but it is the way the job is done.

Groups such as mine with no money, have only moral persuasion though our MEMBERS can and do say the same things -- we won’t vote for you if you don’t do what we believe is the good thing to do. As a registered lobbyist, I go through the same ethics training (NOT an oxymoron) as Exxon lobbyists. When we get to the part about what circumstances are legal about lobbyists giving money to legislators (NEVER legal) those of us in the non-profit world are laughing and rolling on the floor. What money? We want the legislator to give US money (perfectly legal.) But they don’t.

So Massa is completely an idiot to say the unions were bribing him. Nope. They were exercising their totally legal democratic right to say what they want for their members. Just proves he’s even weirder than he seems.

• KQuark says:

Thanks for the insight that was my gut reaction but I always like to hear the opinion of someone who is much more familiar with that situation. Maybe if we had more lobbyists whose only tool was a fine moral compass things would be much better in this country.

10. LABC63 says:

It was funny watching the hope drain out of Glenlivet’s face when he realized that he was getting a rambling, sweat-faced backtracker with a photo album for an hour. And watching him walk off in practically mid sentence from that idiotic chalkboard at the end was sweet…

Hi, I’m LABC, and I am petty… :)

By the way, on that show (I’ve only seen the oft repeated “highlights”) was a commercial from Survival Seeds. From their website:

You don’t have to be an Old Testament prophet to see what’s going on all around us. A belligerent lower class demanding handouts. A rapidly diminishing middle class crippled by police state bureaucracy. An aloof, ruling elite that has introduced us to an emerging totalitarianism which seeks control over every aspect of our lives.

As the meltdown progresses, one of the first things to be affected will be our nation’s food supply. Expect soaring prices along with moderate to severe shortages by spring. If you don’t have the ability to grow your own food next year, your life may be in danger. Supply lines for food distribution in this country are about three days, meaning a dependence on “just in time” distribution systems, which will leave store shelves empty in the event of even the smallest crisis.

And you thought the gold thing was creepy?

• SueInCa says:

Ok, I am not buying in to that ad, but when I went to the store on Sunday for some grocery shopping, alot of the shelves appeared picked over and empty. Maybe it was just Sunday and supplies were low.

• Chernynkaya says:

That is ultra-creepy! “The sky is falling, The sky is falling!” What a bunch of sissies.

But, apocalyptic fears aside, it’s my dream to live in the country with a little piece of land and grow my own food. I have fantasized about it often. NOT because the end is nigh, but because it would be fun, environmentally good, and because I am tired of spending so much on electricity and gas. The only thing I worry about to any degree is water, which means I’d probably have to move someplace wet-- like Oregon or Washington. But I like the sun! Oh, well…

Here’s my piece of land: 😆

• BigDogMom says:

That ad was really creepy, went to the site, for just $149.00, plus $15.00 shipping, you too can get enough seed to survive, let’s say….one growing season, that is if you know how to grow veggies, have the one acre of land and are willing to put in the time to take care of a garden.

This statement on the site should get all the survivalist mouths watering, nothing like knowing your customer:

“Grown in remote plots, far from the prying eyes of the big hybrid seed companies, each of the Survival Seed Bank varieties have been hand-picked for germination rate, nutritional density and of course, storage life.”

What a bunch of bull hockey, you can buy the same seed and amount on Burpee’s site for a quarter of the price….

• SueInCa says:

Hey the new and improved Jim Bakker is selling his survivial kits and for a more robust contribution you can become a partner in his survival “cave” LOL.

• SueInCa says:

Do not know what happened above, here is the comment

• choicelady says:

The issue is not entirely bogus -- GMO seeds cannot legally be saved since they are “proprietary”. But regualr hybrids from Burpee -- you bet. Seed saving is very cool and totally inexpensive to do. But this survivalist mentality is needlessly scaring people to make a profit for themselves. You are SO right to be pissed!

• Blues Tiger says:

The other problem is lots of hybrids produce sterile seeds…

I was pretty much just harping in on the survivalist thing. I don’t know one way or the other about seeds. 😳

When the Demopocalyptic fascist-scape comes, I’ll be doomed!

• BigDogMom says:

That’s OK, you can buy non-hybrid seed at Home Depot and other stores, just look for heirloom seeds.

When the “Demopocalyptic Fascist-scape comes, just e-mail me, I can teach you how to plant and take care of a veggie garden…heck, I can even teach you how to can them and make jam too!!!

Oh, okay, I’ve heard of those. I had a little garden once. It was actually spiritual, come to think of it.

• Blues Tiger says:

BDM, I love to garden too!!!

Here is a link to a site that has all kinds of different seeds… Lot’s of stuff you don’t normally come across…

• BigDogMom says:

OK, now I have two posts…weird…not touching anything else…

• BigDogMom says:

BT -- cool site, I love planting obscure annuals and tropicals, keeps people guessing when they come into my gardens…(that’s what I tried to post below, see the system glitch below when you try to edit).

• BigDogMom says:

Cool site, I love planting really obscure annuals and tropicals, keeps people guessing when they come into my gardens….

12. BigDogMom says:

Watched this on KO last night, this must be the one and only time that Beck was speechless and unable to spin a story…..loved it.

Not since Sarah Palin has Becky seemed like the sane one.

It was beautiful though. the looks on his face. He thought he had a ‘get’, red meat, and all he got was tickling stories!

If I were conspiracy minded I’d say this was in fact part of some grander plot to waste FOX air time!

• BigDogMom says:

Nah, I think this is just basic karma, Beck, Fox and the right wing nuts are heading for a fall. They have spun their lies for so long now, that they have nothing left, no where to go, but down.

I believe that truth and compassion eventually, in it’s own time, wins out over lies and hatred and those that spew this garbage are almost always exposed…re: the RNC documents that were just recently found and Liz Chaney being chastised by her own.

This is the God/Universe that I believe in….a good, just one, who teaches us lessons that are good, bad and ugly at times, but ones we need to learn in order to move forward in life.

Well said, I like the metaphor of stretching themselves so thin. The rubber band has to snap back sooner or later!

Seriously though, the well of this act has got to run dry, no? How long can you sustainably keep people whipped up on inane fearmongering.

Granted, it’ll still work on some; but not all. As with Lizzy Borden, even she stepped over the line and got slapped by her own.

• BigDogMom says:

I believe that it’s just a matter of time before this constant fear mongering and lie telling stops.

The story of Peter and the Wolf comes to mind….people eventually get tired of it and stop listening.

Once people begin to feel safe with the economy, their jobs and health care reform legislated they will go back to their daily lives and not buy into what people like Beck, Rush and other GOP Pundits are selling.

This the biggest fear of the GOP, recovery, normalcy, the American people not scared of something….

• javaz says:

And to make things worse, when Massa turned from discussing his own woes to the machinations of Washington, he offered ideas that have no place in Fox News’s tightly regulated framework. Massa suggested that Beck and other Americans demand “campaign finance reform” to curb the corruption on Capitol Hill. Beck, who has called such proposals “a huge mistake,” put his hand over his mouth, as if he were holding back an upset stomach. Massa, who has opposed the Obama health reform because it is not liberal enough, told Beck that he should stop calling people names like “socialist” and “communist.” “You can be a progressive and be a fiscal conservative,” Massa then explained, as Beck lost control of his own program.

13. Chernynkaya says:

I saw the interview on KO only but it was more than enough. The guy was hard to watch-- he was lying and back peddling and sounded slightly unhinged-- which is saying a whole lot when you consider he was in Unhinged Central!

He clearly was beyond inappropriate with his MALE staff. He had flop-sweat oozing from every pore as he tried to explain and only dug himself deeper. Actually, here’s my take: His lawyers got to him and told him to admit he was out of line and to apologize or else he’d lose the lawsuit. I think his lawyers are hoping for a settlement.

The best part though was watching that despicable Beckerwood. What a sick puppy that a-hole is!

• KQuark says:

I just wish when a politician from either side got caught they would just resign and go away. The damage Blago did and now Massa could have been minimized if they were not so selfish. At least Spitzer owned up and just went away for a while.

The only good thing politically speaking is the Repubs are far more hypocritical in their actions than Dems.

14. PatsyT says:

This was a real puzzler.
    I kept wondering what about the cancer thing
    Is he going all over the place because he is sick?
    Is he sick?
    Or is this a set up for Beck?
    I only saw the bits from the KO show and really got a great laugh when
    Becks face fell -- Massa did not produce the desired results for Beck.
    A whole hour of this!
    Nothing to see here -Mr Beck you can move along.

The best line by Beck
    “America for the first time I have wasted a hour of your time”
    Major HA HA ~ FIRST TIME ~ That was a scream!
    He is an entertainer after all