PatsyT On February - 26 - 2010

This year the Olympics are going Youtube !

What music goes thru your head when you are speeding down the Super G?

or ripping it up on the Half Pipe ?

What makes your triple axel rock ?

How do you get in the mood for curling?

If you did one of the sports which one would it be?

Name some of the music that would be in your Ipod to get you pumped up?

After winning the Gold,

What songs do you celebrate with ?

Categories: Music Thread

Written by PatsyT

Mary Poppins said, "Practically perfect in every way" Today, I say, "Practically progressive in every way"

• Mightywoof says:

Did you have a good time in Van, Pepe?? I’m sorry (there I go -- being a Canadian) there had to be a winner and a loser -- it was a great game and I wish they had ALL won gold!!

• PatsyT says:

Tonight we are all Canadians !
      Hey Pepe I hope you have had a terrific time and have many stories to tell
      Loved the closing ceremonies !

1. PatsyT says:

Evan Lysacek won GOLD this year skating to
    Rimsky-Koraskov/Scheherazade
    And
    Stravinsky/Firebird
    Of course Evan used abbreviated versions.

Here is the original Firebird
    Conducted by Stravinsky himself at age 82!
    Talk about Olympic !

A little background on Scheherazade inspired by the The Arabian Nights…
    Rimsky wrote a brief introduction that he intended for use with the score,
    as well as the program for the premier:

The Sultan Schariar, convinced that all women are false and faithless, vowed to put to death each of his wives after the first nuptial night. But the Sultana Scheherazade saved her life by entertaining her lord with fascinating tales, told seriatim, for a thousand and one nights. The Sultan, consumed with curiosity, postponed from day to day the execution of his wife, and finally repudiated his bloody vow entirely.

If any here have not read Burton’s Arabian Nights (or other decent translation), seriously, before you die, do.

This would be part of my soundtrack for the beginning:

Angels of Venice -- Sins of Salome

Now, a Scheherazade from Tehrangeles! (sentimental Persian pop) 😆

Shahrzad Sepanlou -- Az man taa man (from me to me)

My contribution for X-treme Curling (there was a Swiss girl who looked half-way there -- yes, curling has had some honeys). Since Curling is Scottish, a Vancouver band:

Black Tartan Clan

Another Vancouver based project,

Delerium -- Incantation

Not a Vancouver band (I could go on), but very Wintry,

Ladytron -- Destroy Everything You Touch

PS, Dailymotion embed so doesn’t work.

3. PatsyT says:

You Canadians will stop at nothing to win gold !!
    BTO Takin’ Care of Business

4. PatsyT says:

After winning GOLD
    PLAY THIS over and over !
    Queen
    We are the Champions !!

5. KQuark says:

And who designed the medals this Olympics anyway, flava flav, talk about over gold.

VOX POPULI IS ABOUT TO BEGIN, PLEASE JOIN US FOR A REAL TIME CHAT ON THE WEEK’S EVENTS. CLICK HERE TO GO THERE NOW:

What can be said about this amazing partnership?

8. boomer1949 says:

Way 😎 PT!!!

9. KQuark says:

Well I’m out for a little while. Time to watch Canada play Slovakia. We are all Slovaks now.

• javaz says:

Am a Canadian French and my great-great-great come over from France and married an Indian from Canada, and then my father married an Austrian American, and my mother’s parents came over right when Hitler was coming into power.

I’m an American with a Heinz 57 past.

And both of my parents, their second language was English.

I grew up in a multi-lingual household.

10. javaz says:

My first memory of the Olympics was watching it on a black and white TV, and sitting on the floor in the living room and watching Peggy Fleming, when she was 15?
    And she fell, but she came back 4 years later to win the Gold.

Are my memories incorrect?

Remember during the Carter years how politics entered into it, and they canceled the games?

Or is my memory failing me again.

Remember when the US hockey team won the Olympics and how our nation was riveted to those games?
    That was in the 70’s, right?

Remember Munich, and when there were athletes killed?

My memory is shot, and I actually like that, because I want to forget, but the Olympics live forever.

11. Chernynkaya says:

Ode to Curling

(Kinda catchy!)

12. Chernynkaya says:

Here’s a song I learned from watching this year’s Olympics:

• KQuark says:

😆 at least they don’t do some nationalist gesture like most of the US athletes when they play it. I know this is not about politics but that bugs me for some reason. People seem to forget the early Nazi salute was to tap you hand to your heart and raise your arm forward which represented giving your heart to Hitler.

Anyway Canada has a beautiful national anthem. I learned it very young because almost every summer we went to a lake near Ottawa where my uncle had a lodge.

• bitohistory says:

and if you were a socialist/trade unionist, you put your other hand in your pocket. (truth)

• Chernynkaya says:

KQ-- I think the athletes who do that are confused and probably think it’s the same thing you do with the Pledge of Allegiance. And yes, it drives me nuts!

I do like Oh Canada! But as for me, I wish more French won only so that I could hear my all-time fave national anthem: La Marseillaise!

And who could ever forget this scene that brings tears to my eyes EVERY TIME!

• javaz says:

Do you remember when a basketball team won the gold and raised their arms in a black power salute, and all the hoopla about that?

Did they lose their medals from that? do you remember?

• KQuark says:

Yup I remember it quite well and I applauded it even at that time even though I didn’t know why. I can’t believe they stripped them of their medals. It was complete bullshit.

• KQuark says:

Yup and I remember that the ref was from s Soviet block country that gave the Russia the gold medal. In 2002 I saw a 30 year anniversary special on that game and many of the American players are still bitter about it and still don’t want their silver medals even though the IOC has been holding them for them all these years.

• bitohistory says:

!968, Mexico City. It was the mile relay team and yes, I think they did lose their medals, not sure. I do remember that they got a bunch of grief.

13. Chernynkaya says:

Patsy, I love this post! This is what I love about PlanetPOV too-- such talented and clever writers. What a fun post!!