AdLib On February - 16 - 2010

If I ran for Pope, all my hopes would be dashed because of recent events. Though God is a close friend and nacho buddy, I have once again proven myself to be just a squidge this side of infallible.

After members mentioned that they noticed their suggestions for a name missing from the previous poll, I finally noticed that all of the ones missing were alphabetically following “O”. When I prepared the first list, I re-ordered the list alphabetically and when copying the names into the poll…left out the last page of the list!

I know how anxious we are to select a name and move forward from there but after preventing the membership the opportunity to vote on ALL the names, including the many really good ones in this list, I hope you’ll excuse and forgive me for asking you to vote on this list too.  Voting will close on this list on Thursday so we can have our final vote begin on Friday, so please vote on the list below as soon as possible.

Below are the names mistakenly excluded from the previous poll, alphabetically from “P” forward (except one “m” name at the end that was also somehow missed).  Please vote for up to 3 names, I will take the top 3 from this list and add them to the finalists from the other list for a final vote.

Thanks for your understanding and participation!

[poll id = “30”]

Categories: PlanetPOV

1. dgraz says:

Ok I checked out the website referenced in Iacocca’s blog , in which I saw something called APE (American’s Pissed-off Enough), Check it out looks like more kindred soul’s.

• bitohistory says:

dr’graz, Checked out your links. Is the APE group still in business?
      Seems when I try to go to their blog I get a forbidden/404 error.
      There does seem to be many groups with similar thoughts, the hardest task will be trying to get them all under the umbrella.

Found this on TP.

A report released this week by the Center for Responsive Politics revealed that $1.3 million was spent on lobbying for every hour that Congress was in session last year. All told, lobbyists

2. dgraz says:

A republican friend of mine Dick sent me one of those strange email forwards. It said it was from Lee Iacocca’s new book. In this email it slammed President Obama’s socialist agenda.

I had read Mr. Iacocca’s autobiography and this writing didn’t sound like him to me, so I did a search and found Iacocca’s website. Of course the email was all bull. So I sent a link to Dick and told him to check it out.

There was an entry in his blog which is a little old but still rings true and is relevant to this discussion.

Monday, March 3, 2008
    Mr. Schneider Goes To Washington
    If you think just showing up to vote in November is going to fix this country, you got another thing coming. Voting (which 50% of Americans usually don’t do) can’t be the end of our obligation as American citizens.

Recently I saw a fantastic documentary film. The director, Jonathan Neil Schneider left a successful career and spent his savings to expose how our elections are financed and how it can corrupt Washington. “Mr. Schneider Goes to Washington” couldn’t be more timely. It is also funny and entertaining. Throughout the film I kept asking myself, “Where is our democracy heading?” “Aren’t there any rules anymore?”.

Everyone needs to see this film! And to all my friends in the media, if you want to know what Lee Iacocca thinks is wrong with politics, watch “Mr. Schneider Goes to Washington.”
    (www.MrSchneiderGoesToWashington.com )

And, please take a look at the “revised” 9C’s Scorecard! Print it out and pass it around.

Iacocca’s 9c’s of leadership

3. bitohistory says:

Do I dare say this, because from many comments there is one that seems to be one of the favs ,but has been picked up by Eric Cantor and the House R’s? Should I say?

EDIT: Road map
    RE-EDIT: nellie informs me this may be from last year. What I said could be wrong.
    Hard to believe!! ME? WRONG? 😆

• bitohistory says:

nellie, I was wrong it was Paul Ryan and his plan to privatize SS and Medicare his new RoadMap

Stern: Ryan Roadmap A Harbinger Of Return To Bush-Era Government
      Brian Beutler | February 10, 2010, 3:53PM

SEIU President Andy Stern says that the so-called Roadmap for America’s Future--an entitlement-slashing bill written by House Republican guru Paul Ryan (R-WI)--should be a warning sign to voters that the GOP hasn’t moved on from the Bush-era.

“It’s hard to imagine that this is a 21st century plan,” Stern told me in an interview this afternoon. “It seems like we’re going back to the future.”

Take it for what its worth.

• nellie says:

Please do, because I don’t know what has been picked up by Eric Cantor and the House GOP.

4. choicelady says:

I love all of these. I don’t really have a dog in the fight, but I do have to say I like the Picket Fence image as well, even though that was not my vote.

I am SO tired of the anger around us, and somehow the picket fence is soothing. But my one question is whether that resonates for people who aren’t Beaver Cleaver? Do communities of color see that as anything but oppression -- all us nice middle class white folks having the picket fences, then picking out pickets to whomp anyone else who dares enter our community? Mine is entirely a cultural bias (though when I did have a white picket fence, I took it down.) I’d like feedback from people who may see the picket fence as a pretty version of razor wire?

• Mightywoof says:

You’re correct c’lady. My rosy-lensed picture of a picket fence was very culturally biased (sometimes I DO need a boot in the butt).

I still like the idea of taking the word Patriot back thought -- the rw’s wrap themselves in the flag and accuse anyone left of Attila the Hun of being unpatriotic -- it’s a trigger word and I think it’s about time the left and the middles took that word away from them (they don’t play nicely enough to have all the tools in the box!!)

5. Mightywoof says:

I’ve not voted and I won’t vote -- you would lose any credibility if non-Americans were involved in any of this IMO BUT I just have to say I love Picket Fence Patriots. It takes the word patriot back from the right and positions you to argue that you don’t have to be ‘right’ to be a patriot. Picket fence conjures up Mom & Pop, neighbours, kids playing in the street, and it’s also both rural and urban in connotation.

And on a personal note -- it was good to see TRP back -- I was so worried when I read his last post :(

6. PatsyT says:

Good to see these . . .
    Is ROADMAP
    Mainstream
    or
    Mainstreet ??

As originally written, “Mainstream” but if it’s selected I’d think that the Author would be open to suggestions.

Thanks for the positive words about this Chapter II of names, I felt bad that I’d messed up on not including them originally!