bito On February - 15 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing?  Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you?  Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan  Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Related articles
Categories: Time Out for OT

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1,375 Responses so far.

1. javaz says:

If Kalima peeks in, I am waving hello and good morning, then good night.

~waves good night to all and to all, have a good night~

just got this email from a friend --

A Jewish Rabbi and a Catholic Priest met at the town’s annual 4th of July picnic. Old friends, they began their usual banter.

“This baked ham is really delicious,” the priest teased the rabbi. “You really ought to try it. I know it’s against your religion, but I can’t understand why such a wonderful food should be forbidden! You don’t know what you’re missing. You just haven’t lived until you’ve tried Mrs. Hall’s prized Virginia Baked Ham. Tell me, Rabbi, when are you going to break down and try it?”

The rabbi looked at the priest with a big grin, and said, “At your wedding.”

2. AuntieChrist says:

God forbid that a bunch of empty headed pundits should take time to listen for even a minute to a Nobel prize wining economist regarding a field in which he’s more than qualified to speak:

3. javaz says:

Does anyone else feel that the religious right is working harder than ever at taking over, or at the very least, playing a major role in our government?

I thought it ended with GW Bush, but it seems to me that Roe v Wade is going to be overturned -- one example is the religious right in Utah wanting to blame women for miscarriages and actually charge them with criminal homicide and that’s bad enough, but now there’s this tidbit.

4. javaz says:

A good story, for a change, on the local news.

Ten days ago, a man tried stealing two cases of beer from a Circle K, and a customer stepped forward and told the guy to put it back.

The guy did put it back, and then when he was leaving the store, a woman came in, and he smacked her and pistol whipped her, and the Good Samaritan stepped forward again, and the woman happened to be his wife.

The criminal turned the gun on the Good Samaritan and killed him in front of his wife and mother.

Okay, that’s a really sad part, but the good news is that the widow couldn’t make the payments on their car, so the car dealership, knowing the story, gave her the car.

Wasn’t that a nice thing to do?
    And so unusual.

The criminal is guessed to be in Mexico and his family and his girlfriend are in jail for helping him escape.

5. javaz says:

Good afternoon.

Anyone watching the hockey game?

Very exciting and is going to be a nerve-wracking OT.

Keep looking for Pepe in the arena, but haven’t been able to find the skunk.

Well darn, Canada wins the gold.

Congrats to Crosby and the Canadian team, and good try Miller and the USA!

• Blues Tiger says:

Helloooooooooooooo javaz!!!

Didn’t watch the game but from what I just read Pepe got his money’s worth…

• javaz says:

Hey BT --

It was a very good and exciting game and hope Pepe writes an article about the experience or as Canadians would say -- aboat the experience!

😆

• PepeLepew says:

CROSBYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!8)

I had to miss it. Totally sucks. Sounds like it couldn’t have ended more excitingly.

And you got it right. How the ‘uh-boot’ ever started, I don’t know. You have to say say so-ree aboat askin’ for the washroom, for example.

That Bubl

• Blues Tiger says:

AAAAAAAWhoop Po Po Po Poop Poop Pooooooooo!

😀

6. Hopeington says:

I’ve been out for a while due to no internet connection. Seems like I’ve missed a lot!!
    Thought I’d show up with this satisfying link of some protesters at UCSB last week giving Karl Rove some grief.
    Certainly not a protest that the media was covering!!!

• javaz says:

Hey Hope, glad to see you back -- we all missed you.

It’s a good sign that not everyone was fooled by Rove and see him and the neocons for what they are.

Now, if only more people would see the GOP and Teabaggers for what they are.

• Blues Tiger says:

I watched that video last night… It seems nobody wants to take questions that aren’t set up for talking points anymore…

• PatsyT says:

Hey Hope
      Good to see you
      I think a lot of people may be watching the Hockey Game
      USA vs CANADA
      Our family is on our way out to a concert.
      That link looks interesting
      I only took a quick peek
      hope things have been good for you.

7. Blues Tiger says:

Dick Durbins it’s time to end the filibuster petition

The American people are sick of process blocking progress. They’re fed up with an arbitrary tradition that allows a minority of Senators to prevent popular, much-needed legislation from even coming to a vote.

8. PatsyT says:

On the tech/science subject
    How has this group been doing ?

Anyone have a opinion or info on this group ?

9. Blues Tiger says:

I came across this site while reseaching for an article this morning… It’s an Alert Map site… Just click on a region and then click on the little symbols on the map to see what the event is… Bet ya’ll didn’t know my area was hit with a 4.4 mag Earthquake yesterday… 😀

If you get a chance, watch Simon Schama on Fareed Zakaria today. He’s brilliant. Also, if you haven’t, watch his History of Britain series. I recall seeing it on The History Channel some years back, when they pried themselves away from some Hitler & aliens doing meth with Satanists show for a few early Sunday mornings.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

I loved his series and just caught the very last of his time with Fareed this morning.
      I love all things British and remember seeing his series along with Tony Robinson’s Time Team series (loved) and Tony’s series on The Worst Jobs in History (brilliant). Tony, of course, played Baldrick on the Britcom Blackadder. Blackadder was/is the best show on telly, IMHO. Just brilliant writing and characters..not to mention Hugh Laurie and, of course, Rowan.
      Rowan, you’ll remember from his portrayal of a meth smoking alien that supplied Hitler’s army with intelligence telepathically transferred to him by the Devil.)

• BigDogMom says:

Good Lord, I didn’t think anyone else knew about the Blackadder series, I am a total Anglophile when it comes to TV.

How are you TRP, good to see you here, hope things are getting better for you.

• escribacat says:

I am a big Blackadder fan too.

Long live Mr. Bean!

A quick hi and ‘bye to you, BDM, TRP, and the rest of the Planeteers before it’s off to work I go again!

Hope y’all have a wonderful Sunday.

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Yes, I think if my life had gone differently I may have moved to Britain at some point. I love everything about the people and culture…of course, I’m English/Irish so that might explain a bit of the ‘yearning’ to return the lands of my fathers…LOL~ Love their sense of humor (most don’t) and the history, of course. I think I’d hang myself if I had to live without the BBC or the internet portals I use to watch British telly almost exclusively. LOL~

Well, my situation is precisely the same, I’m afraid. Just waiting for the other shoe to drop. Still furiously hunting down employment leads over 12 hours a day and actually taking acting gigs just to get out and be among the ‘people’. Depression is a strange bedfellow. Seems like there are SO many suicides lately being reported…celebs and such…really sad to hear. Can’t say the idea doesn’t cross my mind, but at this point my mind has decided to play a little game called..”Race to the Bottom!”…I’m trying to see just how far down the societal ladder I can fall and still function….Haha~ I’m even wondering if I will ever work again. The world has gone pear-shaped….But thank you for looking in on me…Long live the queen!

• BigDogMom says:

Yes, Long Live the Queen!

Of Scottish/English descent on Mums side, bagpipes, kilts and the Scottish Games, (every summer), even did a stint of Scottish dancing as a young girl and on Dads side, pure German, so October Fest in the fall and spaetzle with Grossmutter every Sunday.

Pops did love the BBC and British humor though, I remember watching Benny Hill with him every Sat. night.

Has anyone here ever watched the British soap “Eastenders”? God I’m still hooked on it after 10 yrs! :smile:

Hang in there buddy, my husband for the first time ever had a panic attack last week and has admitted that he has been depressed for the last six months….the pressure of what is going on in the economy is effecting many.

Come to find out from my husband, he’s not big on talking things out, (product of the 50’s “must be a strong man” mentality), several of his friends who also own small businesses are also on antidepressants due to the uncertainty of everything.

Hang in there buddy, this too shall pass….

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Right! Benny Hill was a staple in our household. Dad loved it, mom tolerated it…LOL~
              I participated in a few highland games down in a city called Dunedin in Pinellas County Florida where I grew up. Boy,..those were different times for sure…ahhhh youth.
              Sorry to hear about your husband yet at least he has reached out. So many don’t. It’s tough when you’re reared by society as a man NOT to have feelings unless they are anger or lust. Or both at the same time….never true emotions. Reptile brain says that’s for sissies and fags…Sorry to be brunt, but that’s how boys are conditioned. Emotions are for weaklings and women…I’ve heard it all before. I try not to medicate as oftentimes the side effects are more disturbing than the benefits it seems to me. But if his business buddies are having luck with meds, then that’s great. Always made me feel murky and muddied…
              Always hanging in there….

TRP, we were typing at exactly the same time, and I didn’t mean to be insensitively whiny about going to work, when it would be more appropriate to count my blessings and think about other people’s situations.

Needless to say, I hope things turn around for you very soon. I’m so glad you’re staying connected to the Planet. Please keep doing just that!

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Oh K, no worries at all! I didn’t take it that way in the least! I was so busy ranting…LOL
              There’s me sticking my foot in my mouth, yet again…Yeesh~!

11. Blues Tiger says:

It was beautiful sunny day in Oklahoma today and for the first time in recent memory our sunny skies didn’t look like ” rel=”nofollow”> this

12. TheRarestPatriot says:

OMG…Why do I even bother reading over the posts at HP? I must be a masochist, I swear….

13. bitohistory says:

This poster won an award for best political poster.

Reminded me of WTS

I might be a tad biased but where does SP live at the moment?

I think that they should start digging in the backyards of GOP Senators and Reps first, then they could move on to Becky and his teabaggers, rounding it off with the chairman of the party Slush lLimp@alls’s front porch.

“Dig,Baby Dig!”

• bitohistory says:

I don’t know where she lives, but with the cash she is getting for her blather, imagine it is not in Alaska.

That poster showing those open pit mines, I think she was for them, when she was governor for a minute and a half.

I’m sure she was for them that’s why they could start the digging at her house, give her a front row seat to how the people and animals that live there might feel about this whole thing which might not even garner enough oil to run a small bus on a journey across America.

In case I miss you, brunch time soon, have a good rest and good night bito.

14. Chernynkaya says:

The Public Option Polling

I know we’ve discussed this, but I still haven’t found a satisfactory answer to why Dems-- or at least 50 Dems-- will not pass a HCR bill with a PO; and maybe not any kind of HCR at all. AdLIb and others believe it is because they think (even if they are wrong) that their seats would be in jeopardy, and they are spineless worms. That is probably true, but still, something feels missing. (I hope I characterized that accurately.)

Here is a poll that is revealing-- it says unequivocally that voters WANT a PO and they DON’T want reform without it. The poll is state-by-state:

My question remains. So, they don’t believe the polls? That’s one reason they are voting against what people want.

I think they don’t care what the people want; I think they are bribed by insurance and pharma money to stop reform. I can’t help but come to that conclusion, because nothing else really makes sense to me.