AdLib On February - 12 - 2010

With huge kudos to javaz for conceiving of and inspiring this, SueInCA for organizing, Chernynkaya for writing the Mission Statement and all the other members contributing, following is a list of all names suggested for a new populist organization that would truly represent those wanting to promote the rights of the American people over those of corporations and other powerful interests.

Since there are so many great names to chose between, you may vote for up to 10. We will then present the top 10 vote-getters for a final vote. In case a tie would cause more than 10 finalists, we may include one or two more but if it would mean adding more than that, we will just have to flip a coin.  Any names that are slight variations of each other that make it into the top 10 will be narrowed to just one entry, the one with the most votes.

Before presenting the poll, here is the Mission Statement drafted by Chernynkaya:

“We are a group of citizens united to ensure the continuation of democracy, which is imperiled by the corporate takeover of our government.

We stand united against the corrupting power of corporate money – money that mutes our voices.

We insist that the voice of Main Street be heard.

Our mission is to unite our country against the threat to our nation – the rise of corporate influence and the consolidation of the media.

We urge all Americans of any political party to join us in this one goal: “A government of the people, by the people and for the people.”

Below is the list of all names submitted (tongue-in-cheek ones excluded), in alphabetical order. You may select up to 10 favorites.

A few hopefully helpful suggestions that may help you narrow down your choices (there are so many good ones!):

a. Look for names that best describe to you the mission and/or attitude of the group as clearly and concisely as possible.

b. Consider all possible nicknames that could result from a selection, especially the worst ones that detractors could use to demean it.

c. Names with acronyms that have some descriptiveness are a plus but brief names that have no real acronym are just as strong and just as easy to say.

d. Say the name out loud, sometimes a name on paper can come across differently when spoken. Imagine telling a friend the name as a group you belong to or a newscaster announcing the name. Does it sound strong or does it sound quirky? Does it sound like a populist group or a fringe group?There can sometimes be a thin line between noble and silly, as The Teabaggers found out.

And now, the poll:

[poll id= “28”]

1. Questinia says:

Grass Roots Over Washington by a mile. Very good!

2. nicole473 says:

Adlib, um, am I missing something, or what? I can’t figure out how to vote.

3. SanityNow says:

I guess ROADMAP (Restore Our American Democracy:Making American Progress, or something like that. A little recursive sure) didn’t make the cut? Oh well, I like GROW too.

Sanity, my apologies! It was an oversight, that makes three suggestions I missed in the list!

When I post the finalists, I’ll mention ROADMAP and the other two as deserving consideration too and may the best name win!

• nellie says:

Thanks, AdLib — I love the idea of ROADMAP

Maybe the final five can be the final six?

• SanityNow says:

don’t fret. A name is important sure but message is more so. At least that is what I used to tell the bands I managed years ago. If the music is sweet, it really doesn’t matter what you call yourself.

• escribacat says:

What a great article that would make — a history of band names. Now that I’ve gotten older, most of them seem so corny to me (they seemed so profound when I was young). This was a shock to me: watching music videos while working out at the gym where the sound was turned off. I remember watching Marilyn Manson writhing around and thinking, Man, doesn’t he know how ridiculous he looks?

• escribacat says:

My favorite was Main Street Voices, which also vanished. But now that I think about it, it actually sounds more like a literary magazine.

By the way, I want to know -- who came up with OVATION? That was my one vote (among others). 😉

Me + clever acronyms = can’t resist.

5. sharonh says:

Are you going to delete me if I listen to my Devo that I tried to post Friday unsuccessfully, ’cause I’m gonna’ do it anyway so I have something to listen to while I ponder great names or phrases that represent this turning point in our society.

(I was using the embed). Now, time for the thinking cap !!

6. bitohistory says:

Looked at the “Coffee Party Movement” face book page. They are having a slogan contest and wanting to sell coffee cups and t-shirts. Sound familiar?
    They also mention something about a LA chapter.

Sounds good to me to end our voting tomorrow, Tuesday 2/16, at 6 pm, if that’s good with everyone else.

Also, Nellie mentioned having a final vote on the top 5, I originally suggested doing so with the top 10 but I think choosing from 5 would be better.

What does everyone else think? Is going with the top 5 cool?

• javaz says:

Good afternoon.

I think voting on the top 5 tomorrow is a good idea.

I’ve got a suggestion for the youtube vid, if you’re interested.

I don’t quite understand youtube, since we’re unable to access it, but is it true that youtube vids gain popularity by the number of clicks?
      (I don’t even know how you make a youtube vid or place it online)

Anyway, once you develop a youtube vid, and post it, would that mean everyone with access to youtube should click on the vid as many times as possible?

Does the main page of youtube or other similar sites list the current popular vid by the number of clicks?

Is that how it works?

The way YouTube works is it counts the number of views from unique IP addresses. It’s a plus to get as many views from members of The Planet or the new group as possible but the trick is getting the link to it or getting it embedded on other sites or emailed to people who may pass it along.

No one can plan for a video to go viral but I can share my experience with my National Organization for Marriage parody that went somewhat viral (over 70,000 views). I posted it in response to an outrageous and preposterous ad that many out there were as pissed off about as I was. People seem to have specifically searched for the name of the organization, probably to see the actual video they heard about and probably found my parody come up as well. Thanks to people enjoying it, they shared it with other people, posted it on their blogs and Facebook pages, etc.

So though one can’t plan going viral and it shouldn’t be seen as a requirement, if some kind of video, be it a news clip, ad, whatever comes out that outrages people, it could be a good marketing plan to release or revise a pertinent video so it contains the words that might be entered in a search to find the original outrageous video.

• Chernynkaya says:

Since the voting is clustered, I say the top 5 is fine.

• bitohistory says:

5 is cool with me. 😎

8. Chernynkaya says:

OK, I refrained from saying this for days now, but “Grass Roots Over Washington” keeps reminding me of my favorite menu item at Denny’s: “Moons Over My Hammy”.

(Never mind. 😉 )

9. nellie says:

Is it time to think about narrowing down our list and voting on the top 5? Do we have timeline for that?

10. dgraz says:

It would make sense to me with all the other groups out there with similar missions that the when this group has coalesced, it take the initiative and send them emails telling them of the existence of this group. Set up an email listing telling them of events that are planned such as the U-Tube video that has been planned. The very least this will be is a start at uniting all the other groups.

Of course this cannot be done until a separate website is set up. I’m sure that someone here at PPOV has thought of this already and is prepared to do that when the time comes.

Peace Out

• nellie says:

I think trying to coordinate all the different groups is a wonderful idea — and I think it may be a unique idea. I don’t know of another group doing that right now. I would like to talk about that as one of our objectives.

• bitohistory says:

dr’graz, j’avaz, How do we go about forming a national coalition? there seem to be many groups with the same similar endeavor: end of corporate power and good governance. Some of the sites I look at are both ahead of us and behind us in forming a group/movement.
      Anyone have an idea? Is it the U-tube/demonstration thing we need to go to first?

• Chernynkaya says:

I like that idea, dgraz.

11. javaz says:

We all have very strong differences of opinion on many issues. However, like our founding fathers before us, we must put aside our differences and unite to fight a common enemy.

. . .

Unless we all unite and organize on common ground, our very way of life and the ideals that our country was founded upon will continue to unravel.

The Economic Elite Have Engineered an Extraordinary Coup, Threatening the Very Existence of the Middle Class

There are more and more articles about calling for unity to fight the decimation of the middle class and the article above is nearly identical to the things so many of us are trying to do here on PPOV.

12. bitohistory says:

Did we miss the obvious? “The Coffee Party Movement”?

The Coffee Party Movement gives voice to Americans

• javaz says:

Good catch, b’ito!

There are so many websites with similar ideas and it’d be nice if we all could unite somehow.

Maybe AdLib and everyone else’s idea from Vox Populi last Friday about a youtube vid is the way to go and gain recognition as a start.

• PepeLepew says:

I prefer “Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers Party” myself:

• BigDogMom says:

I can hear it now from the Tea Partier’s -- Latte Drinking Elitist!

I’m with kes, Sue and nellie -- Consolidation, “One Voice”, but will these other groups want to consolidate?

By the way, morning everyone!!! :smile:

Good morning, b’ito! Hope you’re feeling well today.

This does seem to be a movement that’s on almost the exact same wave length as the one we’re considering. Does anyone think that we, as a group, should try to get in contact with them and do some co-operative work?

• SueInCa says:

One word, YES

• bitohistory says:

Morning k’es, That was my thought, that perhaps we could work together. They seem to be about a month ahead of us on the schedule.

Exactly, b’ito. Strength in numbers! I have a feeling there might be any number of other small groups out there waiting to be discovered. If we can all coalesce, we could be a force to be reckoned with. Here’s where the intertubes can really be a tool for creating solidarity.

Today’s a work day, so I may have to vanish a little later, but I hope to catch up when I get home!

• bitohistory says:

k’es, there seem to be a gazillion groups out there having similar wishes as ours. How does one begin to organize into one voice?

Wow! Great research, b’ito! How do you do it?

And, yes, nellie, great questions to keep in mind as we move forward here at the Planet.

I must say, I’m getting a little relief from the discouragement that was sort of sneaking up on me without my even being totally aware of it! The fact that so many are thinking along these same lines is beginning to feel like a genuine grass roots movement in the making.

• nellie says:

Perhaps we can talk about that as one of our objectives — to pull together all these groups for one voice.

Now I’m thinking about the One Voice theme.

We can think about all these factors. That should be fun.

And good morning everyone!

• Chernynkaya says:

Bito, you are just too agreeable this morning! :-)

• bitohistory says:

Cher I agree, that you agree, that we agree. :-)
              We need to get our site up and going before we do much else.

• Chernynkaya says:

Bito, I agree with you and Nellie. I suggest though that we need to develope ourselves into a more substantial movement first, or at least get something going?

• bitohistory says:

nellie says: “Perhaps we can talk about that as one of our objectives

13. javaz says:

Okay, just read the entire Vox Populi from last night and I understand what you all want to do now.
    You all had some great ideas and it’s a good start.

Let me know what I can do!

Here’s something very interesting! Just received this in an email from the Dem Party:

Bush’s Great Recession has already caused deep cuts in crucial state and local programs from coast to coast. Now it is forcing cuts in Congress too.

But instead of cutting massively wasteful military spending, President Obama and Democratic “leaders” are pushing a record $708 billion Pentagon budget, including $160 billion for the never-ending wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

If you think Democratic “leaders” should spend our tax dollars on healthcare not warfare, there’s an exciting new grassroots movement you can join: the Brownbaggers!

Last month, there were 22 Brownbag Vigils outside Congressional district offices. This Wednesday, that number will grow to 50 -- and even more if you help organize one near you.
    It’s time to start a grassroots revolution to demand the change we voted for in 2006 and 2008.

Bob Fertik

p.s. We are also working to reverse the Supreme Court’s decision in January to let corporations spend unlimited sums to buy politicians. If you haven’t yet signed, please pledge to Save Our Democracy:

Brownbag VigilsProgressive Democrats of America

• Chernynkaya says:

Love it, AdLib-- I’ll join them at my 2 reps-- Long Beach and Van Nuys. Thanks.

PS Please take a listen to the interview I posted--aside from a great interview the site itself is interesting.

(Progs and the Dems)

• javaz says:

That is interesting, AdLib, and thanks for sharing it.

The Brownbag movement sounds great for Progressive Democrats, but don’t you think a movement that crosses all party-lines is better?

• SueInCa says:

I think they should be considered as a possible partner, don’t you?

• javaz says:

I’m against partnering with any group that’s affiliated with any party. (this is simply my opinion!)

I know this is a different approach compared to the original post, but I’ve changed my mind about it because of our mission statement.

I’m thinking now that we form a movement that reaches across any and all party lines.

I want to welcome disillusioned Tea Party people, Republican voters, Independents, Green Party voters, etc -- all of us uniting under a common goal of working together to change politics.

The disgust of corporations in our politics is an issue that reaches across all party lines.

But, if someone wants to join the Brownbags or if the Brownbags want to join us, I’m all for it.

Does that make any sense?

I have difficulty at times expressing myself clearly.

• SueInCa says:

I don’t consider partnering on issues in common, actually joining. If we are looking to draw people from all walks of life, it is going to be pretty hard to work with other organizations because they all have an agenda of their own.

I don’t know but do you think we would honestly get any positive reaction from a right group? Or are you saying to keep the group here totally separate with no left, right or middle influence or networking? I guess I am a bit confused because anywhere we go for networking is going to have a political leaning.

Let me suggest the reverse. Once we get rolling, we should invite any groups on any side of the political divide to join our anti-corporate campaign.

That’s true bipartisanship!

I think that a more creative group that approaches issues as we discussed on Vox Populi last night (if you haven’t read it, you NEED to, the whole night was dedicated to discussing this!) and is open to everyone is far better.

Just thought you’d be interested and encouraged that people are available to coming together and being activist on this issue.

• javaz says:

I read all the Vox Populi on the main page, but is there a way to read the actual Vox Populi chat?

(we don’t have DSL available in our area and rely on dial-up, so we miss out on the live chat and viewing youtubes among other things)

• Chernynkaya says:

Javaz, I figured it out. There are 2 vox pops on the main page-- go to the lower one-- not the after chat. Then, click on the link for the full conversation. But beware! We got silly there for a few minutes. 😉