AdLib On February - 12 - 2010

Welcome to our Friday Night Music Thread here at The Planet! Tonight is all about discovery. Songs that you love that a lot of other people may not have heard. It could be new bands, rarities, one hit wonders, rarely heard songs by famous musicians, world music, big hits in their day that are forgotten today, share your unique faves and introduce your fellow members to some new music!

I was surprised how few people I’ve played this for knew Aerosmith did this song:

Big Ten Inch – Aerosmith

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBJ82fM3Xn8[/youtube]

Anyone remember The Tubes? Kind of a comic rock band, they had a few hits including White Punks on Dope and She’s a Beauty. This is one of their other bigger songs, hang with it till the end for the comic bit:

What Do You Want From Life – The Tubes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH4kRKWKlqk[/youtube]

Not everyone is familiar with Danny Elfman’s original incarnation as lead in the band Oingo Boingo, here’s one of my faves from them:

Only a Lad – Oingo Boingo

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLxnOx0tzw[/youtube]

This fun reggae-inspired rarity from an old Kinks album, Misfits, has a still very relevant message for all those Teabaggers out there:

Black Messiah – The Kinks

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRdsI0FLPDY[/youtube]

Your turn!

Categories: Music Thread

1. boomer1949 says:

I paid big bucks a number of years ago to have this entire CD translated for a dear friend.

This is just one of the tracks written and performed by Francis Cabrel…

2. bitohistory says:

Used to go to an after hours club in Chicago during the early 70’s. You never knew who was going to be playing that night. Quite often it was a group(s) who had just played a major concert just jamming.
    Harvey Mandel played one night and did a 20+ min. version of “Snake.”

VOX POPULI IS ABOUT TO BEGIN! Click here to go there now: http://planetpov.com/live-events/vox-populi/

4. bitohistory says:

One of the best live shows I ever saw.
    Jean Luc Ponty.

5. Chernynkaya says:

Gotta do one for the home team!

Klezmer!

From Bubbe’s shtetl, Krakow

and my favorite klezmer band, the Klezmatics with Perlman:

6. boomer1949 says:

From NPR’s Saturday Weekend Edition for Valentine’s Day…Josh Turner:

Blender magazine has called Turner a “country Barry White,” and his song “Why Don’t We Just Dance” currently sits atop Billboard’s country singles chart. The album came out just five days before Valentine’s Day, though Turner says the timing wasn’t planned that way.

Okay, call me corny, but I love the first dress.

7. BigDogMom says:

I’ve been thinking of my Mom, she’ll be gone 17 yrs. at the end of this month, the Scottish music is her doing, we went every year to the Highland Games.

This was my brief stint as a highland dancer, until boobs and boys came on to the scene…

Edinburgh Tattoo

8. Chernynkaya says:

Pavarotti in his prime:

9. PatsyT says:

A Whiter Shade Of Pale -- Procol Harum

10. boomer1949 says:

Barry White and Pavarotti…who would have thought?

• Chernynkaya says:

I remember that. It just wasn’t right! I like fusion music, fusion food, but this? Barry didn’t sound his usual self, do you think? And Pavarotti? He was one of the greats, but not that night.

It’s like Aretha singing Nissan Dorma-- Noooo!

11. boomer1949 says:

Forget the music…love, love, love, the suit!!!

I saw a Koyaanisqatsi reference. I have to go to Baraka from there on the Ron Fricke connection. I didn’t plan this, but Dead Can Dance gets another post.

Yulunga

The Host of Seraphim

And if you get depressed by that, cheer up! Mauja Mauja!

13. TheRarestPatriot says:

Give it up for The Monkees that saw corporate hubris back in the day…

• PatsyT says:

I had all their records and they WERE records then!

• Chernynkaya says:

A couple of years ago, we were cleaning out the garage with the “help” of the girls, then ages 16 & 13. We found a turntable and the girls asked what it was! They had never seen a record --all they remembered were tapes and cd’s.

14. boomer1949 says: