javaz On February - 10 - 2010

We need to start a movement, a splinter group from the Democratic Party.

I am not talking about “media” or “profits” but am talking about starting a movement that somehow forms and takes off.

Heck, I think we’ll even get folks that consider themselves Teabaggers, because not all Teabaggers are the racist bigots from the Palin Convention in Nashville.

Even folks who consider themselves Teabaggers were turned off by that convention and are turned off by the racism.

We have to make the time.
We have to learn to take it step by step.
But we have to figure out what the steps are.

There would be plenty of drawbacks, because we would favor labor, meaning unions, and working class Americans.

Why couldn’t we at PPOV figure it out?

Why couldn’t we be the leader in figuring it out?

There has to be a way.

There are so many disillusioned, angry, fearful and disenfranchised Americans, and shouldn’t there be a way to get the message out and bring us all together and then work for change?

Real change, without corporate influence?

Just regular Americans that UNITE and . . . what?
How?
There has to be a way.

Back in the 60’s there were causes that united people enough to protest so many things and change did happen.

I just hate feeling as though there’s nothing we can do.

I can’t think of anything to do – a solution other than organizing a movement, similar to the Teabaggers, but for the Democratic Party.

We’re more open, tolerant, and no offense to the Teabaggers, well – but we could formulate a course of action and outline actual paradigms for change rather than rhetoric.

Oh, maybe I am far too naive and maybe it is impossible, but geeze-o-peete’s, it’s got to start somewhere.

I’m tired of our voices not being heard or taken seriously.

But this site is a GROUP THINK TANK.

It would take time, and we’d have to outline exactly what it is we want.

We know the broad basics, but we would need to work on laying it all out in specifics and then laying out how we get there.

We would have to be rational, because we can’t get everything we want, or our desires for the greater good, but – well, it would be a very complicated thing to do, but would it be impossible?

And once a movement took off, and it would, we would be so powerful of a voice of “Americans United” – maybe that could be our splinter group name instead of Teabaggers, and the MSM, and better yet, the politicians could not ignore us any longer.

We should talk about it at the very least because that would be the start.

The MSM only covers the RWs, including the Teabaggers, and ignores the Democrats and Progressives.

We need a movement similar to the Teabaggers, but on the left, and on the side of the working middle class and poor Americans.

A group that would work to elect representatives that would work for the middle class and not the corporations.

Reps that would fight for health care reform, true reform, and would fight for wages – you know, we’re tired of taking pay-cuts and having to work longer hours with less benefits so the CEOs can make bigger profits and be rewarded bigger bonuses.

We need Reps to STOP corporate welfare and obnoxious bonuses while Americans are losing their homes and health insurance.

The left needs a splinter group that would work to cleanse the Democratic Party of the corporate-bought-and-paid-for Dems and blue-dog Dems, and bring in Reps that actually represent middle America.

I’m so damn tired of working to elect Democrats, only to have them work for the corporations.

I can’t think of any other solution than to form a splinter group and search for candidates and support candidates that will work for “We The People.”

I wonder how a person or group goes about starting a movement.

The teabaggers had FOX and the health insurance companies, but I wonder how regular people can start a movement, a genuine grassroots movement made up of working class and middle class and poor Americans.

I’m so discouraged by everything that’s happening in our country, and PPOV is a think tank, so maybe we could think about actually forming a splinter group of the Democratic Party.

Or is that too naive and impossible?

It has to start somewhere, and I wonder how we could get it started or if it’s even possible.

Corporations should share their profits with their employees.

That’s my first suggestion on a mission statement for starting a movement, a splinter movement of the Democratic Party, which would include everyone – mainly middle class Americans.

I’m suggesting we work on starting a movement to combat the corruption of our elected officials – we have the best bought and paid for Reps and we’ve got them on both sides of aisle.

I’m writing about real change without corporate influence.

We Planeteers, every single one of us, can work on a movement.

But before we even attempt a movement, we have to work out the mission statement and then figure out the way to achieve it.

Written by javaz

I am a retired aerospace engineer, happily married for over twenty-four years. My hobbies include blogging on PPOV, reading mystery/romance novels, playing guitar, learning the piano and writing. My husband and I love to travel in our camper/trailer, and have visited 45 states, besides having lived in France for 2 years and seeing most of Europe. "Today is the first day of the rest of your life? Well, that's true of every day but one - the day you die." American Beauty "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain "A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar." Mark Twain

1. BigDogMom says:

Sue, thanks for doing a great job with the list, when and where are we going to vote on the name?

I like:

-- Grass Roots Over Washington (GROW)
    -- Restore Our American Democracy for Mainstream American Progress

2. TheRarestPatriot says:

Some here have expressed interest in using the word ‘underground’ in the name.
    Back in the 80s, I fronted a very short lived alternative band that never really got their sh*t together for any decent length of time. We had a cool name. Later I would publish an alternative newspaper using its name. I will let all of you decide if this fits the bill so to speak.

ONUG -- ONE NATION UNDERGROUND

a play on the Pledge of Allegiance and a bit subversive….from me to you…..

3. javaz says:

Question for everyone --

Now that Sue has done the superb job of compiling the list of names for the movement, should we start another thread that contains the mission statement and then the poll?

• nellie says:

Love this mission statement.

I’m with whatever you suggest, javaz. You’re doing a great job of keeping this going. Sounds like a good idea.

I’ve just checked back in since yesterday afternoon. Is there a new thread for the names?

4. PatsyT says:

Everyone, Bravo !

5. SueInCa says:

Ok I am out for the night and will not be here much if at all tomorrow. I am sending an email to “Admin” with the word file in it in case someone needs it in my absense. I hope that is ok AdLib. You all have a good night, and keep those bowls filled.

6. SueInCa says:

OK, as best I can figure, all the suggestions are here. I will be out of commission tonight and tomorrow. Javaz, do you want me to send the word file with comments to Adlib in my absense? I am especially enamored with the last suggestion LOL.

The Picket Fence Patriots
    Main Street Movement
    Main Street NOW!
    Americans Empowered
    People Empowered
    Demand Democracy
    CurbCorps
    Grass Roots Over Washington (GROW)
    Majority Rules
    Democracy Rules
    Defend Democracy
    The Resistance
    Regain Democracy
    Retake Democracy
    Main Street Kitchen Table Talk
    Kitchen Table Politics
    F**k the Corporations and I Want My Pony = FCIWMP!!!!
    The People

7. SanityNow says:

I have to go make au jus for some Phillipe style french dip for dinner.

is it possible to send out email notifications so voting isn’t missed?

8. javaz says:

Mainstreet American Voice is available.

Mainstreet American People is also available and fits the MAP thing.

Mainstreet American POV!

If this were France, I would suggest “Vive le r

10. SanityNow says:

Restore Our American Democracy
    Americans for Informed Democracy

incorporating Patsy’s suggestion:

Restore Our American Democracy
    for Mainstreet American Progress

ROAD:MAP

11. javaz says:

I’m ready to vote!

I suggest we just go ahead and vote on a name, and start on the next step.

If someone comes up with a better name as we go through the early process of development, it can always be changed.

If you think choosing a name is difficult, wait till we work on the platform!

12. javaz says:

Power Of The People

Power By The People

13. whatsthatsound says:

How about “Group of People That Spend All their Time Trying to Come up with A Great Name” ?

14. javaz says:

l.) Middle Class Fight For Democracy (Main Street Fight For Democracy)

m.) Rally For Main Street