bito On February - 1 - 2010

During the day, do you read a story and you feel it is worth sharing? Where to place it? I don’t like to disrupt someone’s thread or thoughtful post and it is not worthy of posting a lengthy article, do you? Let’s try to leave this up in speakers corner and we can share some news!

From the Afghan Women’s Writing Project

Colorful Days after Black Nights”

I remember the Taliban were searching houses ten times a day with different groups to find a book, cassette, picture, TV, or video game. If they found any of these, they shot the whole family. After we returned home, my mom burned books that my older sister and brother had collected over many years. She burned most of the books in our mud-brick oven, then threw the rest away in sacks very far from the house so the Taliban would not know they were ours. My heart was broken and I was at a loss……

I wove carpets for four years and forgot everything about studying or getting an education. We were stuck at home, and never allowed to go outside. When the Taliban were removed from power in Afghanistan after almost five years, most of the schools eventually reopened. My siblings returned to school, but I did not, because I was so afraid of everyone, still thinking that Taliban were close.

Read More…..

Written by bito

Was once a handsome frog until kissed by an ugly corporate princess.----- Like a well honed knife, the internet can be a wonderful and useful tool. It can be used to prepare and serve a delicious meal or it can be used to cause harm. peace

1,050 Responses so far.

So, seeing as I’m a lonely hearts club of one tonight, I’ll post a story I saw today from NPR.

And, apparently the Wash Times is ripping off a story the NYT’s and Guardian covered a couple years ago.

What is new is this movie with some Taqwacore music:

More:

My personal favorite song title in quite a while: “suicide bomb the GAP”

• escribacat says:

What is Taqwacore? That movie looks good, Kh.

I found the NPR: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=107010536

Apparently it is also an old story recycled today on the radio, or something.

Basically, as I see it, it’s Muslims (although there’s a bit of a Jewish identity thing to this, as well -- like it’s about more than religion) who want to be themselves and rock. It’s deeper than that, of course; but nevertheless it is quite healthy IMHO -- for them to vent against the fundies and conservative Muslim community that want them to act and believe a certain way. Punk ethic for Muslims and a big middle finger to paranoid xenophobes who cry that shari’a is coming to the USA, along with those who would actually advocate it, etc.

The movie I’m on the fence about. It could be really good or fall flat. You know what I mean? Still, the trailer is worth showing everyone who has one idea of Pakistan. Islamabad is a bit of its own world though, too. I would’ve liked to have seen a movie like this in Lahore or Karachi. But, I think the fake nature of I’bad adds to it maybe.

Anyway, this was the first I’d heard of it, but I’m already liking some bands like Sagg Taqwacore Syndicate, and Al Thawra. Muslim rap has been around for quite a while, I was hoping for something like this to take root.

Edit: Scratch all that, just watch this:

2. boomer1949 says:

I posted a note to Scott Simon at Saturday Weekend Edition (NPR). He did the interview with Josh Turner (I posted the video and Happy Valentine’s Day Wishes to everyone at Speaker’s Corner earlier today). Please note my reference to http://www.planetpov.com:smile:

Dear Scott and Saturday WE,

Absolutely love this. I am not a die-hard CM fan; I don’t listen just to listen. However, I have come to enjoy and respect artists who feel comfortable enough in his/her own skin to step outside the proverbial box.

I was driving home from work Friday, February 12, when the Saturday WE promo ran. What caught my ear and interest was the reference to “Josh Turner being Country Music’s Barry White;” Although I’m not sure who came up with the analogy, the phrase hit the nail on the head — for me at least. I got home, changed my clothes, poured a glass of wine, and proceeded to Google Josh Turner.

Mr. Turner’s voice is rich, the video is absolutely fun, and I’ve sent Scott’s interview and resulting story to many friends. I even posted it at the one and only blog I proudly frequent, http://www.planetpov.com, as a “Happy Valentine’s Day” wish to all of my friends there.

I have appreciated Scott’s openess to experience life outside the confines of a box dictated by others. It was apparent during the interview that Scott had researched Josh Turner and his music. Had I not heard this promo and subsequent interview, I doubt I would have heard such a sultry country voice. Excellent piece Scott, and Bravo Josh!

Sunday, February 14, 2010 4:23:01 PM

3. BigDogMom says:

This was in my local Sunday Newspaper, letter to the editor regarding CT State Public Campaign Finance Laws:

Here is the program -- “Citizens Election Program”

If you go to the list of State Senators and other elected officials who chose to be in this program, not one Republican was listed.

4. PepeLepew says:

There’s a really bright yellow thing in the sky today. It hurts my eyes to look at it, yet I like it. It’s vaguely familiar; I feel as if I seen it before, but it was so long ago, I can’t remember.

Anyone know what it is?

For now I am calling it “Ra!” I shall worship it.

5. bitohistory says:

Flying under the radar? Is anyone following, has anyone even heard of the “Financial Crisis Inquiry Commission?” All the hoopla about what went wrong and a demand for a new “Pecora Commission” and who is even following it?
    The bill setting up the commission (FCIC) was passed and singed by President Obama in May, 2009. They have held two public hearings with little notice. there has been very little written about it in major newspapers or much seen /heard from the MSM.
    During the depression the Pecora Commission” was major news and major sweeping regulations on the banking/financial industry were passed.
    Now, barely a peep. Why? Am I expecting too much? Will anything come out of the inquiry, or is this a dog and pony show with Wall St. fighting it every step of the way?

The thee R’s appointed to the FCIC are all Bush people who believe in cutting regulations and were part of the meltdown.
    One Dem on the Commission (appointed by Speaker Pelosi)is a person who should have been listened to years ago! Brooksley Born!

6. bitohistory says:

Looks like I am the only one here so I will say g’night to my self.

7. bitohistory says:

Mr. Bopp is back with a new campaign. This time using Frank Luntz’s pearls of deceit.The new group is”Committee for Truth in Politics” (CTP)

CTP’s attorney, James Bopp Jr., was behind the recent RNC “purity resolution,” which aimed to get all GOP candidates to abide by a pledge not to waver from conservative orthodoxy. Bopp, an RNC committee member, also represented Citizen’s United in its successful bid to challenge laws limiting corporate spending on politics. And he has sued the FEC, arguing that CTP shouldn’t be required to file any disclosure reports with the agency.

If you remember this “shouldn’t be required to file any disclosure reports with the agency.” was pointed out in nellie’s post.

In other words he feels it is just fine and dandy to lie and not have to tell anyone who is paying for it. Combine this with the SCOTUS ruling and this will be holy hell.

8. SueInCa says:

Not sure if anyone is interested, but I found the OMB website where you can check for fed funds going to states. They also are tracking the stimulus with amazing detail on projects. You can see which reps got which money. It also gives out yearly budget and guess who is number 1,2,3
    Florida 375b
    Tex 217b
    CA 183b

And Texas is talking about secession? I give them the green light right now.

9. PepeLepew says:

Hey, E’Cat, here’s a great one for your weekly feature. HP headline spinning a real WHOPPER…

…. even for them.

And 70% of the comments were mocking it.

• escribacat says:

Pepe, It took me a bit to figure this out! The headline implies that the current strategy is “Mowing the grass,” when in fact it’s the old rejected strategy. Wow. Good one. I have a short writing project to finish first and then I will see what I can find. Thx.

10. escribacat says:

Interesting article on Washington Post about Obama’s anti-lobbying efforts. It says Obama has gone further than any other president — yet it seems to me that so many headlines and stories I read are about the influence of lobbyists. Either I’m not reading the right news sites, the news sites are not accurately portraying what’s really going on, or it’s impossible to know what’s really going on. I’m betting on number 3.

“A recent Pew Research Center poll ranked lobbying reforms as third from the bottom in voter concerns for this year.”

11. bitohistory says:

I found this the most despicable, irresponsible piece of “reporting” I have seen in a while. I would not be surprised if someone does not get physically harmed after this POS.

Tennessee Mosque Vandalized After Local TV Station Airs Irresponsible Report On

• SueInCa says:

Cornerstone church in TN is surely on my radar, which this guy seems to work closely with.

• SueInCa says:

Well Bito, you challenged me and here is a run down of the leader of CAN. I would not have thought the background was any different, except I would have thought he was in the snake charmers group of fundamentalists, oh wait that is what Fallwell was…………………I am thinking about dropping a line to see what kind of dialogue can be started, some undercover work maybe, just like the film he made LOL.

[email protected]

Christian Action Network (CAN) was founded in 1990 by Martin Mawyer. He based the organization on biblical principles, values, traditions and truths. CAN’s primary goals are to protect America’s religious and moral heritage through intensive lobbying efforts -- both in the nation’s capital and at the grassroots level.

For the past two years, CAN staff has been on location, deep inside hidden Islamic terrorist training compounds, scattered across the United States.

CAN has compiled hundreds of interviews, and is in the final stages to reveal a hard-hitting documentary, “HOMEGROWN JIHAD: The Terrorist Camps Around U.S.” (February 2009). This crucial footage exposes terrorist training compounds throughout the U.S. and provides shocking first-hand footage from deep inside the terrorist training camps that will astound the nation.

_______________________________________________________

Martin J. Mawyer is the president and founder of Christian Action Network, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the traditions of the American family and defending the nation against radical Islam. An activist in the religious community for over two decades, Mr. Mawyer began as a free-lance journalist for various Christian publications and then served as editor of Jerry Falwell’s “Moral Majority Report.”

He is author of three books, “Silent Shame: The Alarming Rise of Child Sexual Abuse;” “Pathways to Success: First Steps for Becoming a Christian in Action;” and “Defending the American Family: The Pro-Family Contract With America.”

Since its inception in 1989, the Christian Action Network has strongly supported the right to life for the unborn; voluntary prayer in public schools and restoring religious liberties; has lobbied in favor of legislation that would defend traditional marriage; has worked to expose “Gay Days at Walt Disney World” to protect children and families; and has advocated an end to taxpayer-funded “hate art” through the National Endowment for the Arts.

Under Mr. Mawyer’s leadership, Christian Action Network has become one of the nation’s leading grassroots Christian political organizations with more than 250,000 active members.

Among Mr. Mawyer’s numerous radio and television appearances are CNN’s Larry King Live, Sonya Live and Talk Back Live, NBC’s Today Show, Entertainment Tonight, C-SPAN’s Viewer Call-In, FOX’s Morning News, Hannity & Colmes and The O’Reilly Factor, Pat Robertson’s 700 Club, Jerry Falwell’s Pastor’s Study, Dr. D. James Kennedy’s Coral Ridge Ministries. He is a frequent guest on various other radio and television programs.

• javaz says:

Good afternoon, b’ito!
      I saw that story, too, and it is more than disgusting.

Hope you are doing well today.

((((hugs)))

• bitohistory says:

Hey, j’avaz, I’m ok, pretty sore, on drugs and I still need to get to the G. store today. That’ pretty hard to do when I keep falling asleep! :-)

• Chernynkaya says:

How about I adopt you? Please let me! That way, you’d get the benefit of all my Jewish mother instincts and I could exercise them without driving my son nuts.

(I make a mean chicken soup too!)

• javaz says:

Well, darn it.
          If we lived closer, we would go out and buy you groceries.

Let us know if we can help in anyway and at anytime.

I like how they threw in the flag desecration at the end. WTF?

• SueInCa says:

Bito
      The slurs in the letter left behind can be tied straight back to Christian Fundamentalists. They often refer to Muslims as satan’s bidder.

• escribacat says:

For every moron out there who’s ready to blame some group of “others” for his own deficiencies, there’s always an irresponsible media generator who is willing to supply the fuel, without regard to truth. It’s a cheap way to make a buck and get some attention.

• PepeLepew says:

Read the story TV station story:

“Some believe….”

“Others say….”

Those are buzzwords to watch for when watching any local news (or Fox News, for that matter), that they really don’t have any legitimate attribution for their information.

12. SueInCa says:

Finally, Tim Kaine has sent out correspondence. I guess better late than never. The link provided can be used to write letters to the editor in your are. It can also be used in the future for other letters you might write………

Susan —

“A million dollars is not a lot of money.” That’s what RNC Chairman Michael Steele thinks, anyway.

To most Americans, that’s crazy talk. But it’s no surprise coming from the head of a party that prefers favors for Wall Street to jobs on Main Street.

How long would it take you to earn $1 million? Click here to find out — then write a letter to the editor exposing the GOP’s agenda.

The average American household makes $52,000 per year. Only 2% make more than $250,000 — and millions are out of work in a recovering economy.

But while arguing to extend the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy last Thursday at the University of Arkansas, Steele let slip that he thinks a million is “not a lot.” It’s outrageous — but sadly, not surprising.

Greed and excess on Wall Street nearly brought down our economy, health care costs are drowning families, but the GOP is fighting to protect big banks and block health reform while proposing more and more tax cuts for the rich.

What’s worse, the leading Republican on the House Budget Committee just proposed a budget that privatizes Social Security and shreds Medicare — two programs that millions of middle-class Americans rely upon.

Republicans are going all out to be seen as defenders of the “little guy” this election season. But Chairman Steele’s comment last week made it clear they’re not. We need to make sure every American hears about it.

Use our calculator to figure out how long it would take you to earn “not a lot of money” — then use our easy letter-to-the-editor tool, your own story, and our helpful tips to expose the GOP on the widely-read letters page of your local paper:

Thanks,

Governor Tim Kaine

• bitohistory says:

Sue, If Congress would pass a strong bill dealing with financial regulation, it would make it easier to make our point. We need a real and serious “trust buster.” Elliot Spitzer was on the right track until his little “dalliance.”

• SueInCa says:

Bito
        IMHO Spitzer is no worse than any other politician who has been out there doing what they should not. Vitter can still be Senator, but Spitzer cannot be Gov? Spiter needs to get involved more broadly IMHO

And you are right about the financial regulation.

13. bitohistory says:

Well, now I know why the filibuster can’t be ended. According to a constitutional whiz it is not constitutional to end it.

Namely, he warned that using the reconciliation process would set a “very bad precedent” because a simple majority is just unconstitutional.

That is not what our Founding Fathers had in mind. That is not the constitutional process.”

Glad that is cleared up!