javaz On February - 1 - 2010

The official Super Bowl Sunday began January 15th, 1967 when the Green Bay Packers defeated the Kansas City Chiefs.

The NFL had full control of the game since 1920, until the AFL began in 1960.

June 8th, 1966, the two leagues agreed on a merger, with the condition that the winners from both leagues play against each other to determine the champion.

Originally, NFL Commissioner, Pete Rozelle, wanted to call the game “The Big One”, but it was the AFL founder and owner of the Kansas City Chiefs, Lamar Hunt, who suggested “Super Bowl” and the name has stuck ever since.

Super Bowl Fun Facts:

• In most years, the Super Bowl is the most watched television event.
  • Exclusive television rights to air the game rotate between 3 major networks – CBS, NBC and FOX
  • Due to the popularity of the game, commercial airtime is the most expensive for the broadcast
  • Super Bowl Sunday is the second largest day of the year for eating after Thanksgiving
  • 8 million pounds of guacamole is consumed on Super Bowl Sunday.
  • 14,500 tons of chips are eaten along with that guacamole.
  • The average number of people at a Super Bowl party is 17.
  • 5% of Americans will watch the game alone.
  • Of the top 10 most watched television programs of all time, 9 of them are Super Bowls.
  • Budweiser has been the exclusive Super Bowl beer advertiser for the past 13 years.
  • The Super Bowl is measured in Roman numerals because a football season runs the span over two calendar years.
  • Since the 1980s the Super Bowls have always started around 6pm Eastern Standard Time.
  • More drivers are involved in alcohol-related accidents on Super Bowl Sunday compared to any other day of the year (except St. Patrick’s Day), according to the Insurance Information Institute.
  • 35% of people who attend the game write it off as a corporate expense.
  • Over 700,000 footballs are produced annually for official NFL use and 72 of them are used for the Super Bowl.
  • The Dolphin Stadium in Miami has vomitoriums, which is actually an architectural feature, not an official place were people can puke. It’s a passage below a tier of seats in an amphitheater through which a crowd can spew out after the game.
  • The Super Bowl has been played in south Florida 8 times; this year’s game will be the ninth.
  • Super Bowl fans spend more than $50 million on food during the 4 days prior to the Super Bowl.
  • Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest winter grilling day of the year.

My husband and I plan on staying home for the game and eating the traditional guacamole and chili (both homemade) and plenty of beer, of course, which will probably result in some scented sound effects around half time! :mrgreen:

GO COLTS!

Written by javaz

I am a retired aerospace engineer, happily married for over twenty-four years. My hobbies include blogging on PPOV, reading mystery/romance novels, playing guitar, learning the piano and writing. My husband and I love to travel in our camper/trailer, and have visited 45 states, besides having lived in France for 2 years and seeing most of Europe. "Today is the first day of the rest of your life? Well, that's true of every day but one - the day you die." American Beauty "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain "A man is never more truthful than when he acknowledges himself a liar." Mark Twain

1. PepeLepew says:

Speaking about Andy Rooney and the Super Bowl, did you hear the story about Rooney falling asleep at the Super Bowl?

2. javaz says:

Also, I tried to find the year that Nixon called in during a Super Bowl and gave a play, but couldn’t find the year, but did find the game.

Super Bowl is a defacto-American-holiday.

Whatever that means.
    Saw that term when I was researching this deeply serious, world changing thread!
    😆

3. javaz says:

Didn’t anyone else find it humorous about the vomitorium at the Dolphin’s stadium?
    LMAO
    What is football after all, without beer?
    Love them Clydesdales.

• nellie says:

I’m a little confused, javaz. It’s NOT an official place for people to puke, but it was built so they could … ??

• Hopeington says:

4. an opening through which something is ejected or discharged.
        5. Also called vomitorium. an opening, as in a stadium or theater, permitting large numbers of people to enter or leave.
        Had to go to the dictionary to be sure!

• SueInCa says:

Yuck, I would not go to the stadium for that reason, I would be gagging just thinking about it in close proximity. My husband did all the caretaking when the kids got sick………

4. escribacat says:

I’ll nominate myself for most ignorant question: What day is the superbowl?

• PepeLepew says:

Some rich neighbours are coming over. I think their kids like our house because it seems like a clubhouse to them.

We’re doing homemade nachos (not me, don’t have a clue how to do it), but I’m grilling chicken wings in a George Foreman grille (an abuse of a George Foreman grill, I know, but it works), then baking them in Cajun sauce.

Why Cajun sauce?

WHO DAT?!, that’s why!

PS, it’s Sunday.

• SueInCa says:

Sunday -- GO NEW ORLEANS

• javaz says:

Sue, we are so on for the COLTS spanking the Saints, and you’ll owe me a family-sized box of cornflakes!

Bring it on, girlfriend!

• SueInCa says:

I don’t buy cornflakes but I do have a box of Wheaties with Kurt Gibson on the front when he hit the grand slam against the Oakland A’s, will that suffice? You cannot eat them, I have had the box for about 8 years LOL. I hate the Oakland A’s, mainly McGuire and La Russa LOL.

• moongal6 says:

Did you like the A’s when BillyBall was there? Oh, what a sight to see. I still have my BillyBall shirt.
            BTW, good score on having a partner who helps with the kids, especially when they’re sick.
            I finally (after 40 years) extricated myself from one who forgot we even had kids. I still see my fourth, unruly “child” almost every day. Even with that, I have such a beautiful life. Truly, always, blessed.
            Go Saints!

• nellie says:

I’m w you, Sue. I’ve gotta root for the Saints. New Orleans could use the pick me up. Have they ever even been to a Super Bowl?

• javaz says:

Oh!
          We got a game going now, meaning you want to make a bet?

I’ll bet you a box of corn flakes that the Colts win!

• nellie says:

You’re on, sister! :-)

Snack box or family style? 😀

• javaz says:

The big cajones!

The family-sized box, nellie!

We are so on.
              LOL

Love that manly football talk.

Hey, what did you think when Andy Rooney from 60 Minutes said that he didn’t want to see a woman when it comes to football, except for the cheerleaders?

He didn’t say the cheerleaders, but he didn’t complain about them as he criticized women sportscasters.

• escribacat says:

Bito — Andy Rooney: “I don’t like paper clips.” Don’t know if he actually ever said that or if I just fill that in for him whenever he opens his mouth.

• bitohistory says:

Andy Rooney makes a living telling people what he doesn’t like.

• SueInCa says:

You cannot leave me out…………….

• nellie says:

I didn’t hear that, but it doesn’t surprise me. Andy is giving his generation a bad name. Some of the biggest FB fans I know are women!

My female facebook friends have been calling the plays blow by blow all during the play offs!

As for me — I watch football once a year (if that!) and that game is coming up on Sunday, LOL!

5. whatsthatsound says:

If you spooned those eight million pounds of guacamole out to form a line, it would stretch all the way from La Jolla to Veracruz.

I just made that up, but it seems like a cool statistic.

6. KQuark says:

Now yer talkin’. I’m rooting for the Colts too. Manning deserves another SB and I can’t stand the arrogant Saints coach.

• javaz says:

Oh, I can’t stand the Saints and really want to see Payton do it again.

I know a lot of people really hate the Manning brothers, and I don’t get that.

Tom Brady, that’s another one people hate, and I mean hate in sports talk -- but I don’t get that either.

I love football because it’s a mind game, too.

7. nellie says:

omg, javaz, as much as I love guacamole and chips, those statistics make we want to go on a water fast!

Great fun article. Thanks!

• javaz says:

I know.
      And guacamole is actually healthy for you, if you make your own and it’s the easiest thing in the world to make.

Avocados are really high in calories and really high in fat, but the calories and the fat are actually good for you.

Avocados are an excellent fiber, and the fat increases your HDL levels when it comes to cholesterol.
      HDL = Happy and then whatever the D & L mean.

But the HDL is the thing that battles the LDL when it comes to cholesterol.

Plus, because avocados are green, they are high in vitamin D and C, and high in anti-oxidants.

And, you can recycle the skins and toss them in your garden, or toss them over your fence and feed wildlife.

You can even plant the pit, and grow a plant in no time.

• nellie says:

So I guess we should be glad Americans are getting smarter and eating guacamole with their chips instead of cheese spread.

Still — 8 MILLION POUNDS! The avocado growers must love the Super Bowl.

8. javaz says:

Oh, and forgot to add, that during the Tebow anti-choice, deceitful ad that we can all leave the room for the customary flush that will cause water levels and water pressure to drop for that multi-million dollar commercial paid for by ‘Focus on the Family’!
    That would be the most fitting protest!!!