escribacat On January - 28 - 2010

Yesterday, President Barack Obama gave his first State of the Union address. Here’s how various media outlets were presenting the story this morning.

LATimes
Obama strives to revive the spirit of 2009

CNN
Impact of Obama speech: Did it deliver?

NY Times
A Dose of Reality, a Bid to Restore Magic

MSNBC
‘Taxes,’ ‘gay,’ ‘jobs’: Explore State of the Union

Chicago Tribune
Don’t ask, don’t tell re-emerges

ABC News
State of Union: Jobs Are Priority No. 1 in 2010

BBC News
Obama makes jobs priority in key speech

Fox News
Shame Game?

Drudge
WHAT IS SHE UP TO?
HILLARY SKIPS STATE OF UNION

Huffington Post
THE LAST MAN HOPING FOR ‘BIPARTISANSHIP’

Categories: News & Politics

1. nellie says:

Brookings Institute panel on the president’s speech:

State of the Union 2010: A Pivotal Moment

2. SueInCa says:

Did anyone see the video of Breitbart and David Schuster going at it? It was hard to listen to because they were talking over each other but it sure got heated

• Hopeington says:

Watched it and thought Schuster did a good job at not allowing Breitbart to lead the conversation.
      Unfortunately that meant he had to talk over Bbart, but he did not allow it to become a parade of talking points for biggoverment.com.
      It made me think that dems don’t call the other guys out on TV like this for all the stuff that Fox should be retracting and therein lies my frustration.
      I’m not talking about yelling over one another, but Bbart asked for a retraction on something and he got it. If there was any validity in what he was saying he would have moved on and let Schuster do his job and interview him.
      But he was right in asking for it and others should be calling for retractions before granting interviews, at least sometimes.
      I want a push back. This was about one stupid tweet by Schuster, while Fox needs to retract at least half of their daily meandering content.

• BigDogMom says:

Sue, just watched the video…that hurt my ears, did you read the comments? Here’s some good ones…LOL! 😛

“This reminds me of “Sports Shouting”

“Cable News….
      Fellow Romans, I give you the lead in our water supply”

“Yelling truly is the most effective strategy for everything.”

I love reading other peoples comments, makes me feel like I’m not the only sane one, in this world of crazzies!

• SueInCa says:

BDM
        I read them too. Seems Breitbart was the money behind this guy though. Too bad for Breitbart, naw I am not sad, he deserves anything he gets LOL

• BigDogMom says:

Breibart is just another republican meshugana…talking to hear himself talk, with no purpose in this world other than to be an ass, like so many of them.

3. msbadger says:

I’m really sick as He// that AH keeps pulling this crap. What is she trying to prove? Does she think she’s looking “fair and balanced” or “bipartisan” by dissing Obama all the time? Or does she just enjoy being snarky? Aargh. As for the other media folks, it’s pretty much what I would have expected from each. And re: Hillary- yes, she has a he// of a hard job right now, and I believe the situation with Haiti has really been hard on her. She and Bill have been very involved there. I loved his speech, and not only is he the same president I voted for, I am the same person who voted for him. Just sayin’….

• Chernynkaya says:

Oh and PS msbadger-- it’s OK to write “hell” here! 😉

• BigDogMom says:

Sometimes it takes awhile to get over that… :smile:

• Chernynkaya says:

Yeah, BDM, but once here, it’s even harder to post there-- I forgot all my deliberate misspellings that I invented to foil the Hot Words program they use. Can you imagine trying to comment on Afghanistan and being forbidden to use the word “Taliban?”

• BigDogMom says:

That is Bizarro World over there…only go over to the dark side when I have the strength to deal with them, it’s usually when I’m really pissed off that I go!

• SueInCa says:

Funny, my too. Then when I get there I get more pissed off LOL. Sooner or later I will get banned.

• Chernynkaya says:

I took a quick look at HP last night, after her commentary on the SOTU and I was happily surprised to see how many comments called her out. They were solidly against her take on the speech from what I could see, although I only scanned a few pages of comments. It reminded me of when she said Biden should resign-- she was met with laughing scorn on that one too.

• BigDogMom says:

Cher, I am so glad that a greater number of posters there are calling her out…her numbers are dropping steadily according to e’cats post yesterday, wonder how she will re-invent herself when this site fails to draw the numbers for advertising….Entertainment News?

I posted this yesterday on another thread, excuse the repost but I think it’s very instructional on why Huff is on the same wavelength as Drudge:

Here

• Chernynkaya says:

That is so damning. I had no idea, and I bet neither do most others in the media and the blogosphere.

• Hopeington says:

Wow, they never cease to amaze me!
      That little tidbit of info would surprise a lot of people.
      I’m so glad I never trusted her, I’m with Sue, I think she’s a mole.
      I went and looked at my comments other there and just when I was getting desperate and saying I need to get out of there, I found here.
      Big sigh of relief.

• SueInCa says:

This is my point exactly on Hairyanna, she has not changed her stripes, she is a mole in my opinion.

Maybe de facto but I see this all as merely a pursuit of greed. I don’t think she set out to undermine the Dems when she did her 180 degree flip politically, I think she’s just an opportunist who saw an opening and leaped into it.

And now she has decided to throw the switch and try to use the power she has gained through the site. But…she needs an enemy to march her Progressive soldiers against in order to exercise that power.

Thus, the attack on Obama and his Admin.

One can’t exercise power by rallying people to follow someone else. The other leader must be disqualified and attacked in order to co-opt leadership and followers.

It will not matter if Obama signs a health care bill, helps turn the economy around, gets rid of DADT, etc., Arianna MUST continue to attack him or she abdicates her power and leadership of Progressive Dittoheads.

Her game is so transparent, I am greatly disappointed to see such a degree of blind loyalty to her by so many Progressives, no different than the many right wingers they frequently condemn for the same lemming-like behavior.

• SueInCa says:

Greed and perceived slights are her motivators. She got pissed at Ahnold during the recall campaign and both were chastised for their personal attacks in the debate. Not much later she pulled from the race and with 2 weeks to go she all of a sudden was working against the recall? She is an opportunist at every level.

• BigDogMom says:

And this is why I e-mail the news stations every time she is on, asking them, “Why? She is not a progressive, she is just a contrarian for the money.”

• nellie says:

AdLib, I’m glad you reposted this because I missed the other post.

Isn’t it interesting how things can be explained so simply by a few facts….

Cheers, Nellie.

As you say, Breitbart’s founding of HuffPo in the mold of a progressive Drudge site, is a very simple and direct explanation that the site was always about becoming a tabloid-style, agenda-driven investment vehicle designed to bring money, celebrity and power to Arianna and the hedge funds invested in HP.

No political principles are intrinsic or rooted in HuffPo, just the emotional principle of greed.

• SueInCa says:

Yeah one of the kids who went in to Landrieu’s office had a cap on with Breitbart.com on it, not to smart in a Dem’s office LOL

The main perp is on Breitbart’s payroll! Breitbart is financing his escapades by paying him “for his life story”.

I think an investigation into conspiracy charges against Breitbart should be pursued.

• bitohistory says:

Life story of a 24 yr. old? 😉

Exactly!

From Wikipedia:

In a Jan. 26th 2010 interview with Hugh Hewitt, Andrew stated that he pays James O’Keefe for his “life rights”, but denied that the James O’Keefe 2010 arrest at Federal Building was not associated with Big Government or Breitbart.com. Breitbart stated, “Lots of people work for lots of corporations, and do dumb and sometimes illegal things that are not within the scope of their employment. And this was not within the scope of his employment.”

This is total bullshit. If he isn’t paying this POS to finance and provide coverage of his “illegal things”, what is he paying for? To report on a 24 year old’s lack of a love life? That he likes pizza and pulling the wings off of flies?

This is a blatant financing of crime. Do I hear RICO anyone?

• SueInCa says:

If you do hear RICO, the FBI is the group to prosecute it. Hmmm there may be much more to this story. I like a good crime mystery. Damn, now I am going to go hunting LOL.

• escribacat says:

Let us know what you find out, Sue!

• bitohistory says:

sue, And we all know you are good at that!!

5. SueInCa says:

Ok is Drudge Report we tod ded or what? Or is it typical right wing stupidity with regard to rules in this country?I thought the rightwing would at least get this right since they are so concerned about national secuirty. SOMEONE in the cabinet always stays behind at these functions in the event the building is attacked. Drudge should be aware of that.

• bitohistory says:

Where oh where has Hilly gone? Hillary has gone to London Town:

Afghanistan: Security transition

• SueInCa says:

Damn Bito, you are good. They see boogy men around every corner that is what makes me laugh at them at the end of the day. Talk about persecution complexes, Dobson must have his hands full meeting with all the wingbats on that side.

• KQuark says:

Good point. SOS is fourth in line after the house speaker, I think. Except for Alexander Hague who thought he was second in line after Reagan got shot.

• bitohistory says:

Not only that sue, she is in London at the international conference concerning Afghanistan. I put up a link to the story on “I support my president. I saw her on the telly the other day. She looked like she hasn’t had a decent nights rest in weeks. Haiti, Iraq, Af-Pak…..She has been busy!

• SueInCa says:

I noticed that too, I get tired just watching her, especially with this damn chest cold I caught from my grandson. When I told him he gave it to me, he asked why he still felt sick. We had to go over the meaning of the term, gave it to me LOL. I finally changed it to catch it from him. He understood that term.

6. PepeLepew says:

Boy, HuffPost manages to be every bit as bad as Drudge Report — yet again. Nice legacy to drag around…

7. bitohistory says:

Always look forward to these posts, e’cat. I listened to BBC/overnight on the radio and watched BBC/news on the tube. Comparing those two programs against the US media, is unbelievable. They were balanced!

Edit: the AP headline when I got up this morning was “I don’t Quit!”

8. nellie says:

When ABC has the most responsible headline of all our news outlets, I think we have a serious media problem.

Why must Barack Obama be magical? Can’t he just be a smart man with a sense of public service? Can’t we evaluate him based on his policies and not on his sparkle?