Marion On January - 25 - 2010

It seems Whoreanna has become the self-appointed spokesperson on the plight of the middle class in our country. As if. She’s an ueber-right idealogue, who married a fortune and sucked up a mega divorce deal (along with a lot of other things along the way) and suddenly converted from slightly Right of the Teabag Party to saintly Progressive overnight in November 2004 … for a price. (No surprise there).

She’s second-guessing and threatening this President again. No doubt tomorrow she’ll be all over MSNBC, causing Ed’s blood pressure to rise, eliciting more syllable-strangling mixed metaphors from Keith, or else she’ll be over on The Situation Room, causing Wolf Blitzer to cream his knickers.

She is a corporate whore doing the job of the corporations and people are stupid enough to drink her toxic koolaid. And for someone who’s championing freedom of speech, she sure as hell doesn’t practice it.

I would love to issue her the challenge of living for a MONTH on an average middle class salary and living in an average middle class home, juggling bills, mortgage payments, car expenses etc. She simply couldn’t do it. She’d be out of that house so fast, the front door wouldn’t hit her feta-cheesed ass. I don’t know what makes me angrier – idiots like Huffington getting kudos and credits for being clever or the dumbasses who follow her religiously.

Right … I’m going to the dark room now.

1. jan4insight says:

Sometimes it pays to surf that other site -- I just found this little gem in a comment over there:

biglimes I’m a Fan of biglimes 281 fans permalink

OT

You know AH and Breitbart go back? He used to research for this site.

I didn’t find that out until I looked at his wikipedia page.
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    FWIW. Btw, Breitbart is connected with O’Keefe, the Repug pimp who just got nailed for breaking into Sen. Landrieu’s office 😉

Indeed. I’m sure we could get Kevin Bacon in there easy, as well.

BL is one of the better ones and has the best stuff. But, I’ll say no more. Ixnay on too uchmay Uffingtonay Ostpay on the planet.

Well, this is a legit issue to discuss about HuffPo that goes to their legitimacy as a Progressive outlet. Here’s a little info from Wikipedia:

Andrew J. Breitbart is an American publisher, commentator for the Washington Times, author, and an occasional guest commentator on various news programs. He may be best-known for serving as an editor for the Drudge Report website. He was a researcher for Arianna Huffington, and was employed by her as “the primary developer” of her website, The Huffington Post.

And what kind of person is this? From Think Progress:

Early this morning, news broke that Sen. Ted Kennedy had passed away after serving in the U.S. Senate for nearly 50 years. Soon after, conservative commentator Andrew Breitbart began a sustained assault on Kennedy

Arianna Calls Barack -- I know, I know, you have to sit through a commercial.

Finally got a YouTube link so I’ll be doin’ this once again too; which is worth it, ’cause it’s the longer version:

3. LABC63 says:

Obviously my comments are continuing to cause problems here, and I do not want to do that. i really appreciate this site being here, but I think I will bow out for now. I have a lot of work to tend to, a lot of pressure, and I am a little tired of the scolding. It was flippant comment, but I don’t enjoy hearing how someone needs to take a shower after reading it. That is not what I am about and I don’t want to feel like I am bringing nothing but filth to a board. That is not me.

• escribacat says:

Your comments cause no problem for me whatsoever. Stay!!

• nellie says:

LABC, I think you defended your comments very eloquently. I’m one of the ones who doesn’t like to talk much about HP, but I read your comments and I’m thinking a little differently now. One in particular about the reason for the heart of the anger. So please remember the value of your ideas — especially to those who may not agree.

LABC, I hope you’ll reconsider.

We try our best to keep a collegiality and respect for all members. When any of us address the content or approach of another’s comment, The Golden Rule may be a cliche but it is a good guide, reply to others as you would have them reply to you.

We’re a community of 220 right now, imagine that as the population of a town, not a big bustling and impersonal city like HuffPo, more personal and familiar.

Sometimes we may bump heads but for those seeking honest expression and discourse and being a part of a community that values that, it’s an occasional price to pay here (yet a frequent one at many other sites).

Your thoughts and posts are very appreciated at The Planet, I hope to continue seeing them here.

• KQuark says:

BTW it’s all my fault because I added the snarky comment to AH’s photo. 😛

• bitohistory says:

I thought it was damned funny LAB! Read AdLib’s comment!

• javaz says:

What?
      I’ve not commented at all on this thread, because AH, to me, is a rightwing hag that writes a rightwing rag.

Your comments haven’t caused any problems!
      Why would you think that?

Stand proud and stand tall, because your opinions matter.
      And never take anything said, especially on blogs, personally.

You’re fine, just fine.
      You are with friends here.

• boomer1949 says:

LAB,

Please don’t! Your comments are not causing problems, at least not with me anyway; I doubt with many others either.

I value your opinion, look forward to your posts, and would just plain miss you if you dropped off The Planet.

I hope you hear personally from AdLib. And, I hope you will read what the majority of us have said or will say.

Please don’t go?!?

boomer

• KQuark says:

No reason for you to bow out LABC. You bring much more than that and your comments are appreciated. You can have your say but everyone can have theirs as well. Personally I think most of your comments are on target about huffy.

Most of all this is not about you personally we have all tried to get a grip on how to handle the Huffy issue because myself included have allot of resentment towards Arianna and how she is destroying the progressive movement. I have seen it takes relatively new members a while to beat off the emotional scars Huffy tries to inflict. I for one was obsessed about exposing Huffy and that’s one reason I cofounded the site. But we have moved on since then to create a much better alternative.

So don’t be a stranger.

I must respectfully disagree with those who reference the idea that The Planet is positioned as or this thread affirms it to be the Anti-HuffPo site.

I just did a quick survey of the 4 most recent pages of posts and found that out of the last 50 posts, there were two about HuffPo, including this one and 48 out of 50 that were not.

That is not reflective of a site that is overly-focused on HuffPo.

Let’s add to that two realities. First, many of our bloggers here came to The Planet from HuffPo, some continue blogging there. Also, HuffPo has become a behemoth in world of political press and what appears on their site has an influence on this nation’s politics.

For both of those reasons, HuffPo is as valid and worthy a topic to discuss as Fox News and their manipulation of the news.

I would hate to see any legit topics avoided because of concerns that it would brand The Planet as an anti-whatever site.

The one thing we do discourage with regards to HuffPo is bringing the soap operas and personal conflicts from there to here. As far as member interaction at HuffPo is concerned, our policy is that “Whatver happens at HuffPo, stays at HuffPo.”

Otherwise, Huffington Post’s and Arianna’s practices are legit topics for conversation and especially, in light of their agenda-driven reporting posing as the voice of Progressives, need to be held accountable publicly.

• boomer1949 says:

Me too!

• KQuark says:

😆 I just wrote something similar but deleted it because you made the point better than I did. Though some of the personal comments about body parts are a little unnecessary. I think the comparisons to other celebrities and her quest to be elitist are fair though.

Cheers, KQ!

I think the concern is valid, that The Planet not fall into being overly-focused on HuffPo and be perceived as the Anti-HuffPo site.

And I agree with Jan’s call for keeping the criticisms more substantive. And when it comes to people doing nasty things, I prefer the response of indignation to hatred.

All that said, we have the unique resources of years of insight and continuing understanding of the true nature of a huge news provider and maker and we have come to see that the Empress has no clothes (sorry about the mental image, folks).

The MSM doesn’t have a clue. This is a big story that hasn’t really been told yet and we are among the most informed ones who could write about it, so we should.

5. jan4insight says:

Can you guys handle a dose of cold water? Because, really, the comments here are as bad as the things the trolls post on That Other Site!

I’m in NO way defending AH! (In fact the post about her effect on the Governator’s effect was quite illuminating.) And I’m just as concerned as the rest of you about the effects AH & HP have on fracturing the left, which is the last thing we need.

But if I were coming here for the first time and saw this thread, I’d be so turned off I’d beat a hasty retreat and then scrub my browsing history for good measure!

I’m sure we all need to blow off steam from time to time, but now that we’ve had a good rant, can we figure out a way to combat the great Divisive One without stooping to her (& her trolls’) level? Because you do catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar.

Just sayin’

• escribacat says:

I agree we go over the top sometimes, jan, but in my opinion it’s nothing compared to what is going on over yonder. Multiply the demonization on this thread by five or ten every day — day after day, week after week, month after month.

• jan4insight says:

True, there’s no comparison on the volume because we’re just not nearly as big a site. But what I’m saying is, let’s walk our talk and keep OUR discussions out of the gutter.

I have to say -- when I read some of the early posts on this thread, I felt like I needed to take a shower!

• Pashma says:

Any suggestions?

• Pashma says:

Because I’ve been all around the web today, myself and I’m feelin’ a bit vinegary to say the least. What I find sad is that some people still think Huffington Post is or should play fair. There isn’t any fairness in money and more money!

Frankly I’d like to see something other than the President of the United States can’t say or do anything to please the people of America article. You know where I can find one like that?

• LABC63 says:

See, this is the heart of anger towards HufPost. There are people here discussing alternative ideas and may have disagreements with the administration that do not descend into snark. There is none of that on HuffPost. The few articles that come out are besieged by dimbulbs that call themselves progressives and basically refer to those of us who can see the forest from the trees as “Obamabots” or whatever insult of the day they can muster. There is no diversity of thought there anymore.

I come here to learn, to interact, and to vent. While my tone might be salty, the sentiment behind it is not just HuffPost bashing. It is anger at yet another media entity swanning about, offering glib “that’s not it” articles that do nothing to advance a usable idea and are just a chance to show off the newest snark and vocabulary of whoever is writing it.

Pashma, at this point I don’t know where to look, but don’t give up. This is good place for information.

And I share your vinegary feeling. :)

• bitohistory says:

Pashma says:

Frankly I

• nellie says:

Brookings…

• nellie says:

PPOV will never be a site in its own right as long as HP takes up so much air — or should I say generates so much heat. At least that’s my opinion, w all due respect to the thread.

• jan4insight says:

nellie, I respect your opinion but I’m not sure how it relates to my concern. If we try to define ourselves solely as the anti-HP, we’ll just back ourselves into a corner.

And it’s not just HP: I checked in today with Open Left, The Nation, DemocracyNow! and they’ll all slamming the Dems & Obama mercilessly. I know there’s a nasty Saturn transit going on, but if things don’t improve I may have to restrict myself to The Daily Show & Colbert Report for news!

But all that is beside the point of my post: It’s the virulent tone of the comments here that are turning my stomach. If we criticize, we should offer an alternative -- and descending to troll-type bile (though I admit it’s fun) isn’t the way the go. But I guess that’s just my opinion.

• boomer1949 says:

I sent this to AH on Jan. 20 and posted it in Time Out for O/T the same day:

Dear Ms. Huffington and Editorial Staff:

I am not sure what has happened at HuffingtonPost over the last twelve months, but whatever it is, I dislike it. I disliked it so much I canceled my account a month ago.

However, I had been thinking about doing so since shortly after President Obama took the Oath of Office. I thought the negativity, the nasty comments permitted on the threads, over zealous moderating, censure and banning were just figments of my imagination. I kept giving you one more day, one more week, one more month. When it only got worse, and you did nothing to assuage my concern, I gave up on you. I realized HuffingtonPost had become nothing more than a tabloid.

What you call journalism, Ms. Huffington, is nothing but a three ring circus, with so many things happening at once, your audience does not realize you are peddling snake oil. You suck people in with your flashy headlines, inaccurate reporting (if one can call it reporting), supporting President Obama one day, then stabbing him in the back the next. You and your toadies have flip flopped on so many issues, you have incited confusion, distrust, hatefulness, and utter chaos in the minds of many. How do you sleep at night?

Ms. Huffington, do you and your staff know the meaning of the word sedition? Maybe you should brush up on your vocabulary.

HuffingtonPost today is not the HuffingtonPost I enjoyed for two years. Your staff is out-of-control, and I think you should hang around the office more instead of flitting from talk show to talk show like Caribou Barbie. We all know where those performances got her — she landed a job at FOX!

Nonetheless, Ms. Huffington, I would like to thank you for stirring the pot, by taking advantage, by sticking your noses into areas of our government for which you have no training, and last but not least, commenting on topics for which you have no clue just to hear the sound of your own voice.

Ms. Huffington, you have succeeded in throwing many of your fans under the bus. However, we are resolved not to let you throw it in reverse to run over us again.

Sincerely,
      boomer1949
      Member HuffingtonPost 2007-2009

• LABC63 says:

Although I agree with your sentiment, what angers me is that she writes this smug “told you so” revisionist history of what the Mass race means and again gets to blame the President, unchallenged. Very little of the posts that might be able to mount a challenge to the mindset there gets through. Instead, she gets the fawning patrol in to fan her and tell how wonderfully smart she is. And after two years of hard time on Huff Post, I don’t think winning the battle for hearts and minds is possible on that site.

And I don’t know if this thread would scare anyone away who came here after dealing with HuffPost. There is so much on this site that it takes me a while to read and digest.

But if my comments about butt condos was not in good taste, I am sorry about that.

6. escribacat says:

There’s only one thing more nauseating than AH’s self-congratulatory columns, and that’s the fawning comments from her sycophants that go with them.

7. boomer1949 says:

Reminds Me So Much of Zsa Zsa Gabor…

8. KQuark says:

I don’t see where someone who’s attitude is to seek out celebrity and became a progressive to make the Hollywood “A” list qualifies as a champion for the middle class.

She just has her mind on her money and her money on her mind to quote Snoop Dogg.

Tell me one other REAL progressive issue she cares about except the bloody banks.

9. Hopeington says:

Blogs and Kisses Tracy Ullman as AH

Or This

Hopeington, thank you for this comic relief, she was brilliant!

Btw, the first video had been disabled by request. I had no idea that AH’s her arms were sooooo long but I know that her chinwagging mouth is.

Found a very interesting article from AdAge dated last January:

What if the privately held Huffington Post is worth not $200 million — a cracked-out number floated last year — or even $100 million, but, say, $2 mil?

This is not entirely an academic question, given that in December HuffPo astonished media watchers by securing $25 million in additional funding from Oak Investment Partners, a Palo Alto, Calif., venture-capital firm. The timing was particularly amazing, given that the lefty uber-blog’s traffic has lately been plummeting — a possibility my colleague Nat Ives examined way back in October.

At the time Arianna Huffington insisted to Nat that the “Huffington Post is no longer as dependent on politics,” and so she wasn’t particular worried about the usual post-election readership swoon of politically-focused publications.

And this section:

Consider, for starters, HuffPo’s revenue. As Nat reported, from January through August of last year — the site’s most-trafficked year — “the site collected just $302,000 in ad revenue, according to an estimate from TNS Media Intelligence.”

And lastly:

…HuffPo has an ethically questionable content-generation scheme: It doesn’t pay most of its bloggers at all. Worse, it sometimes even lifts content wholesale from other sites that do pay for their own content, as the Chicago Reader’s Whet Moser noted in a few outraged blog posts that briefly made a ripple last month on Jim Romenesko’s media site as well as on Gawker (“Arianna Huffington’s Scuzzy Copying Pisses Off Chicagoans”). In other words, the Huffington Post is sort of the Napster-circa-2000 of content sites in that its business model, more or else, is: Only suckas pay for content, baby! And that’s gotta be worth something, right?

I think it’s appropriate to consider the business practices and status of the woman and outfit who are unrelentingly attacking Obama, allegedly on behalf of “the people”.

They are potentially financial hucksters who claim their site is not dependent on politics anymore (but on instigating conflicts between progressives and trolls?) and not paying people for the work they do for them.

And that’s just the tip of the iceberg…

11. SueInCa says:

I just made this comment over there, watch it be scrubbed LOL

Exactly how long do you think MsA would last living like the middle class? She is now the voice of the middle class? Give me a [email protected] break. Where was all her whining when Bushco was destr0ying the middle class?