escribacat On January - 12 - 2010

Tonight a 7.0 earthquake struck the Caribbean nation of Haiti. Here are the evening’s headlines on various news outlets.

DRUDGE
Hell in Haiti

CNN
7.0 quake hits in Haiti; serious loss of life expected
The whole world started to shake

ABC News
HAITI EARTHQUAKE: ‘There Must Be Thousands Dead’

BBC News
‘Hundreds dead’ after Haiti quake

NY Times
Fierce Earthquake Rocks Haitian Capital

LA Times
7.0 quake leaves Haiti capital in ‘total disaster and chaos’

Fox News
Total Disaster in Haiti

Huffington Post
BANKERS IN THE HOT SEAT
Financial Crisis Commission Set To Publicly Question Bank CEOs

Categories: News & Politics

1. nicole473 says:

Amazing.

She is definitely on the “bandwagon” now, however. The fact that she is using such a devastating loss of life to drive her traffic is rather disgusting. Coverage is one thing. Her coverage is another.

What a sad state of affairs when even Fox News produces a more accurate and humane headline than a self-described Progressive site. Pitiful.

Sorry for a little O/T here, but good to see you back, Em. You were missed.

3. Emerald1943 says:

HP must have been waiting for “that special picture” and I believe they got it! Here are the headlines under the picture:

“7.0 Quake Is Caribbean’s Largest In 200 Years… ‘Haitians Piled Bodies Along The Devastated Streets Of Their Capital Wednesday’… Death Toll Could Reach Thousands… UN Peacekeeping Headquarters Collapses… Follow Breaking Updates On Twitter…
    How You Can Help… Text ‘HAITI’ To 90999 To Donate $10 To American Red Cross ”

At least they were decent enough to post a donation site.

• nellie says:

It’s a little disturbing that for so many people this is a go-to site rather than a supplement to reports from real news organizations.

HP is like TV for the internet — 24-hour a day sensationalism. Only they’re behind the news. A lot. At least that’s my take these days.

Time and time again I learn more and get better links from fellow posters than the story itself. I used to be good and read the article, but when it’s an HP blogger I skim, if that, anymore.

Updates and a map:

Perhaps the most famous Haitian, Wyclef Jean, is already speaking out:

Maybe Pepe can help out with French sources? Not sure if there are any -- from Haiti, at least.

Wikipedia page. It would appear Hugo’s already on it. Snark you very much.

Honestly, I’ll say it again. Isn’t anything sacred? Can’t we all come together on this as human beings?

For a taste of Haiti -- to make it a little more tangible.

Wyclef Jean -- 24 e tan pou viv (Creole/Krey

5. Gretel1or2 says:

HP must have read some of the posts here because they just changed their main to reflect the earthquake in Haiti.

6. Emerald1943 says:

Good morning everyone!

I just cruised over to HP to take a look, and sure enough, there was the HUGE headline about the bankers. At least, Haiti got a mention in another article. This is disgusting!

In case anyone didn’t see it, last night Rachel gave a very nice synopsis of President Obama’s accomplishments during his first year in office. He really has done an outstanding job with the awful mess he was left with. I just wish our “liberal media” would give him some credit. I’m sure, if he sends help to Haiti, somebody will criticize him for not doing enough, or not coming out earlier, or not saying the “right” words, or some other crap!

Does anyone have a good link to donate to the relief efforts?

• escribacat says:

Wow. I can’t believe they still had the banker thing up all night long. And it’s not because no one was there because they changed the wording of the banking headline while I was writing the Rashomon post.

• nellie says:

jan posted something below — about 2 comments down.

• Emerald1943 says:

Hi Nellie! Thanks! I overlooked it. I can’t give a lot but if there was ever a worthy cause, this is surely one. The poverty there is grinding…some 80% live below the poverty level. I wondered last night when this news broke why it is that the poorest on the planet seem to be hit the hardest by these disasters.
        I remember the Bangladesh people years ago, as well as the tsunami over there that killed so many.

Just another note…I saw the pictures that Kalima posted the link to a few minutes ago. What struck me was the poverty shown in so many of them. My god, we are so incredibly fortunate in this country! What is that old adage…”There but for the grace of God go I”?

I hope you are well. I’ve been AWOL for a few days with other obligations and have missed you and everyone here.

• nellie says:

You’ve been missed, too, Em.

Poverty creates so many problems, such as poor infrastructure. It leaves people so vulnerable. Especially modern poverty. It seems to bring the worst of all worlds.

• Emerald1943 says:

I’ve just been reading your article, “Project POV: Brainstorming”. I would love to see more media emphasis placed on the President’s accomplishments during the first year. Last night, Rachel did a very good piece with large graphs showing the job losses that have been steadily going in the right direction, as well as another graph showing the gains in the stock market. OT for this thread…sorry! :-)

7. nellie says:

Oh my god. That is disgraceful! HP doesn’t even headline with the story. That is utterly irresponsible.

BBC has the best headline on this one, imo. No sensationalism, no hyperbole, no speculation.

A sad event like this deserves sober treatment. At least the BBC and the Times got it right.

Another excellent installment, e’cat. I love this feature.

8. jan4insight says:

Here’s where to find out how to help -- list of where to donate to Haitian relief effort:

9. KQuark says:

I just love this feature. Another great job escribacat.

I’m expecting a “Geithner Responsible for Earthquake Destroying Banks in Haiti to Cover up AIG Crimes”

The woman’s obsessions are legendary.

10. jan4insight says:

I just came from HP, and they give Bill Maher’s flogging of the “move your money” thing top billing over Haiti!

Btw, the best reporting I’ve seen so far on the devastation in Haiti was on Rachel M show. Her website gives links to the various organizations that are collecting donations to help with the rescue and relief effort, which will begin as soon as they know for sure if the planes can land at Port Au Prince airport. Apparently the airport was relatively free from damage, so that should begin soon.

I saw the Maher thing, and couldn’t click on it. Just rolled my eyes. Dude, before I lose all respect for you, quit riding Arianna’s coattails.

Unfortunately Haiti was a disaster area even before that. It’s a disgrace we have such an impoverished country so nearby. One that is routinely in the path of hurricanes, this earthquake is like God’s idea of a sick, sick, joke -- to add insult to injury.

• KQuark says:

He’s part of the progressive priests and priestesses ruling elite who tell us what to think while we are calling ourselves independent thinkers.

• nellie says:

Bill Maher works my last nerve. It’s really tiresome watching someone trying that hard to be smart.

• KQuark says:

They all get on my nerves as you can see. I never have seen such a bunch of pompous and presumptuous people in my life. They all try to tell you what to think. Tell the president and Democrats what to govern like they know anything about governance. Then if it does not fit their expectations the normal grade scale is gone you go immediately to fail. I use to think the right owned orthodoxy, group think and litmus tests but under the auspices of people like Maher and Aryanna it has infected the other side of the political spectrum. Of course the major factor that causes this is exactly what Obama railed against that progressives now forget that hyper partisanship is destroying this nation.

As KQuark calls it, Bankington Post.

All they care about is money. Their obsession with Geithner, AIG, Tarp, etc., their lame community bank stunt…

As KQ says, how Progressive is only caring about banks and money?

12. Chernynkaya says:

If it didn’t have the tragic component, that was actually funny! And what’s her favorite expression? “Stunningly tin eared.”