AdLib On January - 4 - 2010

We are pleased to announce that we have just created a Member Directory to compliment our Author’s List/Directory and our PlanetPOV Stats pages (which links to all posts and comments for each member).  Thanks to one of our newest members, jan4insight for inquiring if we had this feature and motivating its addition.

Click on “Member Directory” at the top of the page then click on any member’s name to see their Gravatar, their bio or favorite quote and their most recent Articles and Comments.

One request to all members: To make this feature most enjoyable, could you please add a Bio, favorite quote, joke or some text in your Profile that is fitting for who you are?

To do so, go to Dashboard – Profile, scroll down to “About Yourself – Biographical Info” to enter info then click on “Update Profile” at the bottom of the page.  For your convenience, here’s a link to take you right to your Profile page so you can add this now: http://planetpov.com/wp-admin/profile.php

Hope you enjoy our latest feature!

Categories: PlanetPOV

1. abby4ever says:

OT: my husband, who got back from Leeds over two hours ago, just went out to the car and brought 18 white roses back in with him, he had left them on the seat of the car and forgot about them. I just wanted to post this because it’s kind of sweet.

2. abby4ever says:

Everything is great except for the hard slant of the text of our posts. Hard slant to the right. It isn’t easy…for me, anyway… to read.

3. msbadger says:

I’m excited to see the new Member Directory feature, and have completed my page. Good chance to share a bit about oneself, and certainly nice to learn a bit more about favorite people! Thank you to jan4insight, and to POV for responding!

1000 cheers to my friend AdLib who just found my missing MB!!

Thank you!

All being well we will be back in business in your the morning. Fasten your seat belts please.

5. Hopeington says:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents..great addition, this place just gets better every day.

Thanks for the kind words.

This has been our Modus Operandi from the start, to be very responsive to our members, always seeking suggestions and ideas so we can make the blogging experience here the most satisfying it can be.

By bloggers, for bloggers…that’s our motto!

• jan4insight says:

Hey, there Hopeington -- I have an Etsy shop, too -- My shop name is EclecticaByJan and I just hearted you!

• Hopeington says:

I’ll check you out, and welcome to the Planet if I missed your entry!
        I did check your web site earlier today, some how I didn’t see the etsy link. I just put my things there recently, have you been there long?….and thanks for the heart!!

• jan4insight says:

TY for the welcome. I’ve been on Etsy since Aug. 2008. It took a while to get the sales coming in, but now it’s fairly regular (and may that continue!). By the look of things, you’re doing well compared to my first few months there!

• Hopeington says:

I hope to do better, I set it up to direct people there through brochures I just finished designing…we’ll see what happens!! I’ve been making this product for years and sell them in a store called Made in Santa Cruz.

• jan4insight says:

Well, good luck to you. You can a lot of good hints on how to market by hanging out in the Etsy forums. Also, expose your product the Etsy Promotions forum. And give your shop an avatar. Just a few words to the wise :)

6. jan4insight says:

I’m glad everyone is enjoying this new feature which I apparently instigated 😉 I’ve just filled out my profile, so y’all can go see it and learn about the real me -- or at least find out what my favorite quote is!

7. Chernynkaya says:

OK, I did it. Took me most of the day, but I’m glad. I feel “official.”

8. KQuark says:

Suggested quotes.

George Calin “I was catholic until the age of reason”.

Mark Twain “The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.”

Bob Marley “When you smoke the herb, it reveals you to yourself.”

Yogi Berra when asked if he wanted his pizza cut into 4 pieces or 8 said “Better cut it into 4, I don’t think I could eat 8.”

Chris Rock “You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America’s Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn’t want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named Bush, Dick, and Colon.”

Naomi Klein ‘being a Republican is a personality disorder’.

President Obama “What Washington needs is adult supervision”.

Michelle Obama “America is downright mean”.

KQuark “Our species greatest gift is our ability to reason. Our greatest weakness is our propensity to rationalize”.

9. javaz says:

For anyone having a difficult time thinking of a saying for their bio --
    My husband received this email today and I have no idea if it’s true or not but --

Today is Willie Nelson’s birthday, and Willie has words of wisdom for everyone -- there was a picture of Willie and below it was these words --
    “I’ve outlived my pecker.”

10. PepeLepew says:

As far as Internet safety, I am very careful not to use my real name, not even my first name, names of my family members or where I work, or what town I live in (though I have dropped many, *many* hints about where I live, but it’s a city of 75,000.), or post my real photo or photos of my family.

I trust people here, but I know for a fact there are trolls who lurk this site and you can never be too careful.

11. Chernynkaya says:

I am having a moment of bio anxiety. Not about what’s OK to write, but just about what to write! Is there a couple of good examples-- at least for format? I looked at a few members and no one except Bito had written anything. Who wrote one that I can use as a guideline? I’m suddenly shy, but I want to have a bio.

12. KQuark says:

I hope everyone does feel safe about expressing their opinions. For example we will not let some troll come here and disrupt the site just for more hits and posts like other sites. Yes people will disagree and debate each other because that’s what free expression is all about. Sure a troll might even sneak through for a short time but they will be dealt with as swiftly as possible.

Above all since this site is part of the real world I would not put any personal info out there that you don’t want anyone else to see.

Well said. And may I add, there is no “groupthink” or cliques here, no ganging up on POVs that aren’t those of the majority. In fact, we highly value unique POVs here, as has been evident this week too.

We want members to feel completely free to express themselves and never hesitate because their opinion may run counter to the majority of opinions on any topic.

Viva la difference!

• KQuark says:

Absolutely no litmus tests or people questioning motives. Above all no memes or driving narratives to try and tell people what to think.

13. escribacat says:

Thanks, Adlib. I feel quite a bit “safer” over here than yonder so I’ve put some personal stuff in my profile (not entirely identifying though). Call me still paranoid! We’ll see how that works out.

14. bitohistory says:

Oh, Goody, we can be facebook too!