Emerald1943 On December - 31 - 2009

In perusing the headlines at HP, I stumbled upon a very interesting article by Congressman Eric Massa of New York. Apparently, the most recent personal attack on President Obama by a certain former vice-president has finally provoked a strong response from a Democrat. In the article, he also cites Senator Jim DeMint for his obstruction in the confirmation process for the head of the TSA.

“Bring It On” Dick Cheney and Jim DeMint

It is time, as Rep. Massa states, for Dick Cheney to “put up or shut up”. His critique is no longer valid, nor is it sought by anyone who recognizes the horrible mess left to our new president by Cheney and his cronies. Mr. Cheney no longer has any credibility on national security or any other subject for that matter.

Rep. Massa writes:

Vice President Cheney, Senator DeMint, it’s time for both of you to be held accountable for your failures and your poor decisions.

I challenge both of you to stand in the light of day and debate your record with me. Your partisan attacks are nothing but empty rhetoric and it’s time to declare that we can no longer stand by while you attack our President for working to protect our Nation and for having an honest dialog about what went wrong.

Let’s make a New Year’s Resolution to call out hypocrisy in 2010. Stand against it and any time that former Vice President Dick Cheney opens his hypocritical mouth to continue uttering blather, he needs to be challenged in a straight forward factual manner that will demonstrate the emptiness of his rhetoric.

Let us hope that the good Congressman has stoked the fire, that he has inspired others to speak out loudly. It is time for some good old-fashioned pushback! It is time to control the message! It is time to call out the hypocrisy!

Written by Emerald1943

Born and bred a Southern lady. Degree in nursing and 20 years of classical piano. Two grown children and two gorgeous grandkids. Also two Shih Tzu doggies, the light of my life! Buddhist. A life-long card-carrying, flaming, hard-core, opinionated, liberal/progressive Democrat...and proud of it! Favorite quotation: "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross." Sinclair Lewis

1. Hopeington says:

I agree with Nellie’s comment,I gave a lot of thought to Rachel Maddow last night. She is one of the few on cable that is doing investigative reporting and not just rehashing AP headline stories.
    She does an excellent job, but then you’ve got DeMint on GMA or the Early Show talking shit about President Obama and the TSA not having a director, but not one mention that it’s because he’s holding up the nomination on false pretenses.
    So if the “MSM” isn’t going to hold anyone accountable, how does the message that Rachel is addressing, reach the people that really need to hear it?
    I watched a (very boring) movie last night about Murrow and the McCarthy era, it took a strong and determined media presence to take him out. Getting out in front of the propaganda is one of the more difficult tasks we are facing in this coming year.
    Democrats in leadership positions need to get a voice. Where’s Grayson when you need him?

I about lost it when I saw that and shouted at the screen on that point about holding him up on nominations in he first place.

What I would looooooove, is for him to do recess appointments to see them whine about it. Then again, I don’t want him to be like Bush out of spite, I just thought it was a humorous thought.

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey Khirad!

I agree with you about the recess appointments! Payback is a bitch! But I’m not sure President Obama would do that…sometimes I think he’s just TOO NICE!

• Emerald1943 says:

Hi Hope! Happy New Year!

The whole bit about the “liberal media” is such a joke! We, on the left, seem to have few advocates for our position. Rachel is a rare jewel, along with Keith Olbermann, and I’m thankful for both of them.

The DeMint thing makes me absolutely nuts! How dare this pompous ass get up and pontificate about the head of the TSA favoring unions, when most of us are aware of Sen. DeMint’s deep south roots. Did I mention that the nominee for the TSA happens to be a very qualified black man?? I don’t think “unions” really have much to do with DeMint’s obstruction!

I hope we do hear from Alan Grayson soon. If he can manage not to shoot himself in the foot, I believe he has a great future.

• Hopeington says:

And of course a very happy New Year to you also Emerald!!
        I used to have a little dog like yours named Petunia.
        Great lap dog and hopped like a bunny!!
        I now have a massive Tibetan Mastiff.

• escribacat says:

Cool. Had to look that up, Hope. Big Sasquatch type of dogs!

• Emerald1943 says:

Thanks, Hope! Back atcha’! Tibetan Mastiffs are HUGE! At least my little foot-warmers don’t eat much! They are, indeed, great lap dogs. They were bred for just that purpose.

Found an interesting fact about shih tzus. They almost were extinct but the line was revived in China, I believe. It was reported that all shih tzus on the planet now are direct descendants from only SEVEN dogs. Pretty amazing!

• Hopeington says:

My (black)son was watching Maddow with me last night and as soon as he saw who DeMint was blocking he started laughing his head off!! “A black man, of course” is about all he could say….since the TSA has no real authority to unionize workers we saw the real reason he’s obstructing, it was written all over the color of Southers skin. And….
        I too hope Grayson can keep himself from shootin that foot, he could really be a driving force in negotiations.

• javaz says:

Hey Hope!
          I’ve read your past blogs and am I to understand that you got a job?
          I hope that things are going better for you.
          What work do you do?
          And are things better for you?
          God Bless you, and may this new year bring you ‘hope’ for a better tomorrow and may those you love, love you equally in return.

• Emerald1943 says:

Co-sign! I have not gotten to know you well yet, Hope…but I look forward to knowing more about you! Your comments are spot-on!

2. nellie says:

Rachel Maddow is the champion of calling out GOP hypocrisy. Just this week alone, she talked about Cheney complaining about sending the Detroit flight bomber through the civil courts when the Bush administration did the same thing w the Shoe Bomber. She talked about the criticisms that Obama waited 72 hours to talk about the event when Bush waited 6 days before saying a word about Richard Reid. She did a segment on Dana Perino and Mary Matelin’s statements that there were no terror attacks during the Bush administration.

I could go on, but what I love about her zeroing in on hypocrisy is that she doesn’t just leave it at that. She constantly goes after the press and the democrats for leaving GOP hypocrisy unanswered.

Let’s hope Massa’s response is the start of a trent.

And let’s hope angry progressives focus a little of their outrage on exposing GOP lies.

Thanks Em. Great post.

• escribacat says:

I love Rachel. She’s the best out there.

• bitohistory says:

I liked it last night when she called out the media on the Cheney statement. She asked why they just take the words, cut & paste and call it news? Little fact checking people?
      Was she calling out Politico?

• javaz says:

I love Rachel and whenever she’s on MTP, we tune in.
      I so hope that Murdoch won’t get his way in wanting to take away free TV, because if that happens, well, we won’t pay.
      (happy new year, nellie)

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey J! I would pay for MSNBC. It seems to be the only network with even a hint of the progressive view. But don’t tell Murdoch…he’ll figure out a way to make that happen. How did that little wizened Aussie manage to practically control the American media anyway?

• javaz says:

When we travel or dog-sit for the neighbors that have satellite, we watch the pay-TV, but there is no way that we would ever pay to watch TV or pay to listen to radio, and if they succeed in making us all pay for TV, radio will be next.

OH!
          Is that a conspiracy?
          Let me get my tin foil and grab the dog and wrap him in tin foil, too!

If I were better equipped, I’d write an article about what I think Murdoch’s pay-for-TV plan is -- basically, he’s a greedy conservative son-of-a-bitch -- and now my husband just poured me a 4th glass of bubbly and I have no idea what I am talking about.
          LMAO

• Emerald1943 says:

Thanks, nellie! I never miss Rachel’s show! Sometimes, it seems if she is the ONLY one who will stand up to some of these pompous asses! I loved her taking on Dick Armey about the tea baggers not long ago. She won’t back down. She has been criticized for it, but I personally like her brand of humor. She always gets a chuckle out of me.

As far as starting a trend is concerned, I guess we’ll have to wait and see. Some of these guys don’t seem to have much more backbone than Harry Reid.

3. javaz says:

Hey Emerald!

I posted this yesterday evening and apologize for the redundancy, but in case you missed it, this article is very interesting and I am interested in other opinions of the piece.

The article does bring up BushCO and their decision to release two very dangerous prisoners from Gitmo to SA, and the correlation between the crotch-bomber to the men in Yemen.
    It also addresses the crotch-bomber’s father and his ties to Israel.
    It brings up other incidents and it’s fascinating reading if you have the time.

I’m curious as to what you and others think.
    Thank you and hope this isn’t off-topic!
    (if it is, let me know and I’ll delete it)

• Hopeington says:

Nope, not too OT for me, reading it gave me hope that something might be exposed that leads to shining a light on the incredible corruption of the Cheney Cabal.
      One can dream!!

• javaz says:

That is my hope, too.
        I thought it was a very well written article and did do a great job at exposing the similarities and the contrasts.

(happy new year, hope)

• Emerald1943 says:

I would have read the entire thing already except for the small type. I can only handle a few paragraphs at a time, but I shall persevere!

• Emerald1943 says:

Holy cow! I have not read the entire article, but what I have read certainly poses some interesting questions. There is more to this than meets the eye! I am book-marking the page to return to later when I have more time to read.

Thanks for the heads-up!

4. Emerald1943 says:

Hi Adlib!

I hope I did this correctly with credit to the author and a link to the entire article. If I did not, please help correct me. Thanks so much! :-)

Perfect, professional and very effective! Well done, Emerald!

• KevenSeven says:

No, you did it exactly correctly.

You do understand, I trust, that on several levels we want to do things this way?

1) It is honest. Those words are not your own, the original author and his publisher have a right to be recognized.

2) It is a legal standard.

I do so like it when the law and what is right coincide.

• Emerald1943 says:

Thank you, Keven! I want to do it the correct way! And I certainly don’t want to ever cause the Planet a problem!

BTW, my very warmest wishes to you and yours for a wonderful and prosperous New Year! I know we are going to see a tremendous growth in the Planet and I’m really excited at the prospects! Great work!

• javaz says:

“I do so like it when the law and what is right coincide.”

Now, if only our politicians agreed with that motto.

(happy New Year, Keven7)

• KevenSeven says:

You are not going to lump all pols together are you?

Happy NY.

• Emerald1943 says:

Ditto! But shouldn’t the law and what is right ALWAYS coincide??? Unfortunately, our politicians seem to lose sight of that fact!

• KevenSeven says:

It is not a perfect world. Come to terms with it.

HNY.

Agreed.

• Emerald1943 says:

Of course, you are right, Keven. It’s not a perfect world, but that shouldn’t stop us from working for it! I am no wild-eyed idealist, but I know that the government that we have right now is broken…and MUST be fixed if our democracy is to survive!

• KevenSeven says:

If you say that it is essential that the government be fixed (without specifying those ills that concern you) in order for democracy to survive, then, yes, you are a wild eyed idealist.