AdLib On December - 31 - 2009

Happy New Year to the wonderful members and readers that have made 2009 an incredible year for PlanetPOV!

The Planet officially opened in August 2009 with the 4 founding members, myself, KQuark, Kalima and KevenSeven.

As of today, we have 199 members (anyone know of someone who could make it an even 200 by tomorrow?),  448 Articles published and 22,330 Comments posted.

I wanted to take this opportunity to share some impressive stats about our site with all of you since you have made this all happen. According to Awstats on our server:

Total Number of Visits This Month (Dec 2009):

11,416

Total Number of Pages Viewed This Month (Dec 2009):

636,042

Total Number of Hits This Month (Dec 2009):

2,011,382

We also have some remarkable results from Google Analytics. They provide baseline numbers for sites of similar sizes and we are far and away exceeding the norms. Before getting to the nerdy numbers, here is some fun info on who’s visiting The Planet:

Number of Countries with Visitors to The Planet This Month:

58. Egypt
59. Papua New Guinea
60. Vietnam
61. Jamaica
62. Mauritius

Er…anyone know where Mauritius is? Actually, if you’re curious:

Mauritius, officially the Republic of Mauritius, is an island nation off the coast of the African continent in the southwest Indian Ocean, about 900 kilometres (560 mi) east of Madagascar. And someone there reads PlanetPOV too!

Now for some nerdy stuff, according to Google Analytics, here are yesterday’s numbers for The Planet and the average for sites of similar size:

Page Views in a Single Day (Dec 30):

PlanetPOV: 4,572
Similar Sites:  395

Average Visitor’s Time on Site on Dec 30:

PlanetPOV: 21:32
Similar Sites: 2:23

Pages Viewed Per Visit on Dec 30th

PlanetPOV: 15.55
Similar Sites: 3.35

Bounce Rate on Dec 30th (Percent of Visitors who view one page then leave)

PlanetPOV:  00.37%
Similar Sites:47.77%

All of our numbers and viewership are phenomenal! People all around the world are interested in and reading what you write. Keeping in mind that 2010 is an election year, I’m anticipating even greater interest and growth in The Planet this year.

So we’re off to a roaring start in 2010, we have a lot of momentum and everyone reading this deserves to take some credit for that.

I wish each of you a very happy, healthy and productive New Year and sincere gratitude from all the founders for everything you’ve contributed to this remarkable community of remarkable people we call PlanetPOV.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Categories: Featured, PlanetPOV

1. javaz says:

Did you get the 200th member?

• Emerald1943 says:

Yes, indeedy!! taffybelle joined just before midnight!

Sorry you missed the festivities! It was nuts around here! And a good time was had by all!

2. Emerald1943 says:

Okay, all you beautiful PlanetPeople! I have GOT to get offline and get some housework done! It’s all you fault that it hasn’t been done in several days! You keep posting the most interesting comments that I just have to respond! Don’t stop, please!!

But I really have to sign off…beds unmade, trash to take out, sink full of dishes, and doggies that require some attention!

Have a super day everyone! I’ll be back later, no doubt! :-)

• abby4ever says:

And I have to bake that pie. See you back here in about an hour, Emerald. I will be back before then; you, you have one hour to get your house cleaned up.

You bring a lot of joy to these threads; it is, in part, your positive attitude that makes it that way.

One hour.

:]

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey Abby, I took more than an hour…it took that long to get the kitchen into shape! But when I sat down to take a break, I couldn’t keep my eyes open! Had to take a little “kitty nap”! These miscreants here on the Planet kept me up waaay too late last night! :-)

3. whatsthatsound says:

2010 brings with it new hopes and new challenges, and asks the eternal question of mankind; are you ready to put aside your differences, or will another year go by with you stuck in the same rut? The immortal words of John Lennon ring out at this new dawn:

Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allen Poe.

• Emerald1943 says:

Beautiful, WTS! But I thought the eternal question was, “Are we alone in the universe?” Just kidding! :-)

I have made a few resolutions…to get up off my lazy buns and do some things around the house that need doing. I don’t know how well this is going to work out. I have this problem, you see…it’s called blogging at the Planet! I am positively addicted!

I wish you only the very best in 2010!

4. KarateKid says:

Happy New Year to all of my PlanetPOV friends. I hope everyone had a safe return home from the festivities. AdLib, may 2010 by a wonderful year for the Planet; I am confident your membership will grow by leaps and bounds this year.

Hopefully, the new decade will begin to bring the fruits of the government’s labors; there are indications.

I am in disagreement with the administration on some issues, but BHO is still the man and the other side have no one that can match him, and they know it. So, let them bloviate, and in November let’s show them how America really feels.

May 2010 bring health and happiness to everyone here.

• Emerald1943 says:

Happy New Year, KK!

Regarding the disagreement with the administration, I would have to agree with you. There have been some things that have given me pause. But the one thing we MUST recognize is that unless we as Democrats stick together and fight the republican attack machine this year, they will make substantial gains, perhaps taking control of the Senate again. This frightens me more than anything!

I hope we can convince everyone who worked to get President Obama elected to once again get energized and get out the vote! If the Democrats stay home, you know what can happen.
      I plan to do everything in my power to see that it doesn’t!

Again, my best wishes for a wonderful New Year! And my thanks…it just may have been your invite that brought me here!

5. moongal6 says:

Happy New Year to everyone! It is a dark and stormy night here at the beach in Oregon. New ideas on the horizon. Always hopeful.
    Blessings.

6. abby4ever says:

Even though I’ve only been at Planet a little over 10 days and subsequently have contributed virtually nothing to this place, I feel a sense of pride in reading these stats, pride in being invited here by two fine posters (who may already be regretting their invitation, ha!) and pride in being here, in being on a site that has had such success in such a short period of time. The good stats do not surprise me, for at Planet I’ve seen some great topics written by some great writers, all this topped off by some great responses, three elements that are essential to gaining, and holding, the attention of those visiting the site.

I’ve never been able to decide which of these is the most important: expressing one’s thoughts with as much courage and honesty as one can muster, or provoking thought (ideally, deep thought) in others, even those who have never been much on mulling over the difficult political (or quasi-political, or even the only-just-barely political) concept.

Of course, it is in being honest and brave in expressing our thoughts, arguments, and personal positions, and devil take any heat we might take for doing so, that we have the best chance of provoking thought in others, thought that may end up hidden away in a diary or, instead, end up changing the world. Or something inbetween.

I don’t envy the editors here. One of the driving considerations at this place is providing an arena of total freedom of expression. You can’t even begin to be honest and brave in expressing yourself, without it. And yet there is that line between total freedom and some kind of abuse of that total freedom; the editors sometimes have to knock us back a bit if we get too, shall we say, rambunctuous. E.g. giving some troll or other what for, or just mouthing off (alas, one of my fortes) in a thoughtless way that does no one any good and may even do damage. The editors’ task is easy when we are safely on the right side of the line, and easy when we are dangerously on the wrong side of the line; it’s when we are right on the line that things get a bit sticky for them.

Given some of the sites some of us have been frequenting, and still on occasion frequent, where our every word is moderated, the freedom we have here to express ourselves, is heady. Who knew?

But here at Planet I see real respect among members for other members, even in situations where the disagreement over some issue or other, is intense, perhaps even explosive at times. Head-to-head disagreements, here, do not seem to result in the kinds of verbal bloodbaths you see at other sites. Quelle relief.

In a word and just for what the opinion of a brand new member may be worth, I think Planet is, pretty much and among its competitors, the bee’s knees.

Congrats to its founders and contributors and may the stats only get better and better. Thanks for collecting and providing them, Ad Lib.

abby

• Emerald1943 says:

Abby, what an excellent comment! This could have been an article, standing on its own! I was thinking many of the same thoughts about the Planet.

You underestimate your contributions, I feel. As for being a “newbie” here, we are all essentially new, none of us having been here more than a few months since the Planet was only born in August. What has impressed me has been the depth and intelligence of the people who have gravitated here. Who could have known from the short comments at HP that there was such a wealth of great opinions just waiting for a place to be expressed?? I am blown away on a daily basis! HP has lost more than they will ever know!

Hope your turkey turns out well! That’s one of my few specialities in the kitchen! Constant basting is my trick.
      Enjoy!

Have a great day, sweetie! I’ll be available to help you get rid of those left-overs! :-)

• abby4ever says:

Thank you so much for your kind words about my reply to Ad Lib’s post. I did think about making it into an article, after I posted it; but it was too late by then. I don’t think we can switch around, i.e. take a reply we’ve done and redo it as an article. Even if we can, there’s no real need: it can be read as easily as a comment as it can an article. The important thing was that I got to say it, for I meant every word.

I hope the New Year brings you peace and joy, Emerald.

(See Mogamboguru’s Happy New Year article, comment section, for how our turkey turned out. What a disaster. Hope yours was better.)

• Emerald1943 says:

Abby, I wrote you a couple of comments on the turkey! I think they are on that thread…I lose track of where I’m at sometimes! LOL

• Hopeington says:

Cosign….
      Thoughtful ramblings Abby!!
      Happy New Year

7. KevenSeven says:

Here on the West Coast I get to say: HNY!

Nearly 2 a.m. here in the heartland, but I couldn’t go to bed without checking in at the Planet to wish everyone a very Happy New Year. It’s hard to believe that getting to know this group of people has made such a difference in my life in only a few months. You all feel so “real” to me even though we’ve never met. My life is so much richer because of all of you. I have--quite literally--laughed and cried while reading the posts here. The eloquence, intelligence and just plain goodness of all of you shines through every day. Thank you all. And may 2010 bring nothing but the best to the Planet and the Planeteers who make it such a comfortable and exciting place to be.

Good night (or rather early morning) to all!

• Emerald1943 says:

I would like to co-sign your post, kes! This blog is fantastic and I love being with you all! Happy New Year!

Hi Em! Happy New Year! I’m just about to grab a quick lunch before work time. (Although I’m so incredibly lazy that I probably will take on-call today, even though it means passing up holiday pay. 😮 ) Thanks for your words of support, Em, and your wonderful sense of humor and all that you do to make the Planet orbit!

• Emerald1943 says:

Thanks, kes! I don’t blame you for taking on-call! Sometimes one just has to cut themselves a little slack! Having been an ER RN, I know what you do…and it ain’t easy!

Have a good day, my friend!

Oh, Em, I have to hand it to you for having worked ER! That’s a tough one.
            I alternate between ICU and Coronary Stepdown Units. I prefer to take care of ’em AFTER they’ve already been patched up a bit!

Let’s hope 2010 brings us some real health care reform. These patients of ours (and all the rest of us) are overdue, no?

• Emerald1943 says:

Hey Kes, I LOVED the ER! It made me really stay on my toes. You have to know a lot about everything and that was a challenge to me that I seemed to need.

I also worked neuro ICU as well as immediate post-op open heart in the early days. But my favorite was ER. I have sworn to write a book about some of the experiences I had there. I loved the uncertainty of not knowing what was coming through those doors next. It certainly was NOT boring!

And don’t get me started on health care reform!! I am so disappointed at what the Senate has done with it!

• escribacat says:

Happy new year, Kesmarn. It’s just turned midnight here! The firecrackers are scaring my greyhound, Chica!

e’cat! Happy New Year to you, too. Hope Chica doesn’t get too spooked by the fireworks. I really loved your greyhound rescue article, btw. I think almost all of us here on the Planet are animal people, no?

Well, we may be the last two up this late, but I guess I’ll have to let you turn out the lights because I can’t keep these tired eyes open any longer!
        Good night and HNY again!

9. KevenSeven says:

I think we have run out of wine.

10. PepeLepew says:

Hello. Happy New Meer. 😀

Just dropping by to say we went out to a pub to have an Irish buffet, then left early because we knew it was going to get crowded and crazy, and we were not in the mood for that — nor the drunks on the road.

About a half-mile down the road from where we live is an old grange. We’ve lived here exactly six months, and I’ve never seen that grange open except for a weekly farmer’s market in the summer. Well, tonight it was open and there were a million cars parked in the dirt parking lot and along the road, and I said, “we gotta check this out.”

It was full of mostly senior citizens, dancing to this kind of music. We stayed for about an hour. It was good fun! An old, dying building and dying culture being kept alive for one night a year.

• FeedUp says:

Last night my husband and I received our New Years phone call from our dear friend from County Cork Ireland. The good
      time you had last night the Irish would call it a good crack.

• Emerald1943 says:

Great post, Pepe! I cut my musical teeth on “Big Band” as my dad was a jazz musician. Glenn Miller, Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton…what great classics!

Funny story…when I bought my first CD player some years ago, while the clerk was getting my purchase ready, I thought I had better buy a couple of discs to play. Having a rather eclectic taste, I chose a copy of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” as well as Mozarts’ “Requiem Mass”. I cannot describe to you the look on that clerk’s face! It was priceless! But, as I told him, a classic is a classic! :-)

• escribacat says:

Great story, Pepe. I love Glenn Miller.

11. Hopeington says:

Well I think it’s time for me to snuggle up with my bubbler and watch some Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.
    I just checked my stats and this is my 200th comment…so I thought this would be an auspicious moment to kick out the old and ring in the new…..
    See you on the rise…Thank you all for restoring any semblance
    of sanity I had left after this year of the right!!
    Fired Up….Ready to Go
    Crack The Cons 2010!!!

12. VegasBabe says:

Hi Everyone!
    Just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a very Happy New Year as well as a safe, prosperous and peaceful one!
    Behave yourselves! 😉

13. bitohistory says:

I hate to leave the party-- but good night and A Good Year to all my friends.

14. Emerald1943 says:

Okay, all you beautiful PlanetPeople! I’ve spent New Years Eve with you and enjoyed every minute of it! But my laptop is over-heating and I’m about to roast from it! Time to say good night and log off!

I expect to see you all here EARLY tomorrow morning to take up the cause again! LOL A bunch of rowdy, hung-over drunks!

Have a great night all! Love to each and every one of you!