Scheherazade On December - 18 - 2009

800px-John_McCain_and_Joe_Lieberman_Conference_on_Security_Policy_in_Munich

If you’re as frustrated as I am with Joe Lieberman you’re probably thinking “what should be done?” Well, sadly there’s not much that can be done. Joe is holding us hostage, and there’s little we can do to stop it.

First here’s what cannot be done: No senator or other federal representative can be recalled by their state. There are laws in some states that allow for an elected official to be recalled (California for example), but of those states that have such laws they only apply at the city, county, and state levels. All elected officials at the federal level do not fall under such laws. Thus they cannot be removed unless said official has done something particularly horrible, which would mean being censured (like Joe McCarthy was) or impeachment. Lieberman, despite being an ass, has not done anything censure or impeachment worthy.

Second here’s what can be done: Harry Reid as the senate majority leader can remove all chairmanships, appointments, and any other titles and dignities that he currently has as “punishment” if you will since Lieberman caucuses with the Democrats despite being an Independent, even if in name only. However, if that happens Lieberman will shun the Democrats and then officially become a Republican, or so everyone thinks given that Lieberman has made it clear that if he is stripped of his appointments it will be unacceptable.” You may be thinking that he’s obviously playing the game of a Republican now so why do we need him? Well you’re right, but if we drop him now we lose our filibuster proof majority, and we can no longer count on him for anything let alone health care reform. Thus, climate change, financial regulations, etc etc will not be passed as easily as they might have been. So, while we know he’s not going to cooperate with this bill, we do know he is likely to do so with the other bills that are going to come before the senate in the future. Harry Reid knows this, and he’s not known for being hardass about things, nor is he confrontational. That is why people call him “spineless.”

In short: Lieberman knows he’s got us right where he wants us, and is more than willing to use his advantageous position to exploit the senate in order to appease the insurance companies that are lining his pockets with millions of dollars. He also knows that when he’s up for reelection in 2012 he will lose in a devastating defeat. He is wildly unpopular in Connecticut now. So, he is thinking about what will happen after 2012 when his last term in the United States Senate is finally over, and he will then have to return to life outside of government. He’s counting on the insurance industry to take good care of him when he is no longer a member of the senate.

It’s all very sickening and disgusting, but those are the facts ugly though they may be.

1. Scheherazade says:

Am I able to use the C&P function for word if I wrote it in Open Office?

2. bitohistory says:

Senator Harkin had a good analogy: We are not building a mansion today,this is a starter home. It has a good foundation.

3. boomer1949 says:

Hey All,

I’d like to apologize because for the last couple of weeks I’ve been said Ole Joe reminds me of Eyore and Deputy Dawg. Well, I’ve discovered I’ve had the dogs confused in my pea brain. It’s not Deputy Dog, it’s Droopy Dog. Ooops! So, ole Joe reminds me of Eyore and Droopy Dog…

4. boomer1949 says:

Hey All,

5. nellie says:

I just heard that Joe has LEFT THE BUILDING.

He’s gone back to CT, which means… he’s not going to vote?? WTF???

6. bitohistory says:

I am not all that positive if it is just Joe, Ben and Blanche that are the problem. They are but three votes out of the 100. The major problem may be the polarization of the GOP with their “purity tests.”
    No longer are they allowed to cross the aisle without the fear of being targeted by the religious zealots and the RW money with their astroturf front groups.

Using this threat the GOP has been able to fully abuse “Senate Rule 22”-the filibuster. Last session they set a record of using it close to 160 times. They are on pace to smash that record!
    A perfect example is the vote this morning at 1:00am for a cloture vote on the Defense bill for the wars started under their leadership! It was fine and dandy when Shrub was pres. to pass defense bills and they put them “off budget.”

“Rule 22” is undemocratic, yes. But in history is was used with some caution (excepting during civil rights.) It is should be used against blatant abuse on the minority by the majority- but right now it is used For the abuse against the majority.

• Scheherazade says:

I was reading yesterday on The Daily Howler about how those of us who are furious at this overuse of the filibuster are being silly.

Maddow on filibuster: Here

• javaz says:

Hey, b’ito!

I posted the emails for McCain and Kyl on Cher’s thread, if you’re interested.

I emailed them and respectfully asked them to stop all the horsepuckey and show some leadership in getting affordable health care reform for their constituents.

So far, they haven’t bothered to email me back.
      I’m crushed, I tell ya, just crushed.

• bitohistory says:

J’avaz, Oh yes we can’t forget our progressive senators. :-)

Over the years I have emaile and called their Tuscon offices on various topics. I have never gotten a reply from either one. :-(

• javaz says:

My husband has actually written a few congressmen and McCain, even, and only Jeff Flake replied, but it was a form letter.

Yup, there are times that I feel we, as Independents or Democrats, have no voice in this state, since our politicians do not want to hear from us.
          That angers me, because MY tax dollars pay their doggone salaries.

• SueInCa says:

I get replies from Feinstein and Boxer all the time. Granted they are form letters but at least they address the issue I was writing about. How funny for those two if they did not?

7. Scheherazade says:

I just published something copied over from tp.org. If that format is not okay I do understand. I was just very happy to see it. :)

• nellie says:

Scher, I’m going to move it over to the front page. I may make a few edits because we have to be very careful about copyrights -- both for text and for images. So if it’s changed a little, that’s why. :-)

• Scheherazade says:

Okies. :) No worries. I wasn’t sure what was permissible anyway. So I’m glad you’re having a look at it. I just was happy to see it. 😀

8. javaz says:

Talk about hypocrisy --

“Flashback: McCain Refused To Grant 30 Seconds Of Time During Iraq War Debate”

9. Scheherazade says:

Proof the MSNBC is not the left wing equivalent of FNC.

MSNBC’s Ratigan Yells At Congresswoman (VIDEO)

MSNBC’s Dylan Ratigan had a testy exchange with Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz this morning over health care.

Ratigan raised his voice several times and they sparred over whether one was allowing the other to speak.

“There’s not much point in having me on if you’re not going to let me respond,” said Wasserman Schultz (D-FL).

“I’m all ears,” Ratigan responded.

The Congresswoman told Ratigan, “You can be your own guest” and he accused her of using standard talking points and said the interview was a waste of time.

Watch:

Liberal media my tushie!

Update

MSNBC’s Ratigan Says He’ll Apologize
    MSNBC host Dylan Ratigan suggested on his Twitter feed he will apologize for yelling at Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz on air during an interview on health care earlier today.

Ratigan tweeted, “Will apologize for losing temper. Won’t apologize for challenging lies and misinformation. USA needs apology for destructive false solutions.”

He also responded to one of his nearly 6,000 followers, “My temper is a distraction. Govt . is again offering false reform, protecting those who bankroll them and nailing taxpayers.”

• boomer1949 says:

What an Ass — him not her.

• nellie says:

I don’t know why they have that reputation. Just because they bother to air the progressive viewpoint at all, probably. Three measly hours in the evenings — counterbalanced by three hours of Say It Ain’t So Joe Scarborough in the morning.

Excellent post!

I’d just add that Lieberman and his wife have been puppets of the Insurance industry for a long time, dating back well before he lost the Dem primary in 2006.

So truly, he is behaving consistently in being an enemy of the American people and an ally of insurance corporations.

• Scheherazade says:

Thanks. :)

I was trying to edit it some, but it wouldn’t let me. :(

As for his history… I have never liked nor had any tolerance for Joe Lieberman. It all started for me with the things he did during the Clinton years. The man is NOT a Democrat nor an Independent. He opposed Clinton’s health care plan. He spoke out against Clinton. He turned his back on Gore during the Florida debacle. He ran AGAINST his OWN party when it opposed his run for reelection to the Senate, which is WHY he’s an “Independent.” He continued to support the war in Iraq and did nothing to hold the Bush Administration accountable for that or any other action. Then he endorsed McCain and now this.

During the 2000 election I lived in Tennessee, and I did NOT vote in that election. Why? I have never voted for a Republican, and I never will. However, I could NOT support that man in good conscience. I am not ashamed of it either. The Florida fiasco is what sunk Al Gore and not his home state.

Needless to say I was not shocked by this in the least. 😐

• bitohistory says:

AdLib, Blance Lincoln and Ben Nelson are right up there with Joe.

• Scheherazade says:

I have paid attention to their stubborn recalcitrance, but somehow I think they would be easier to get on board. Granted it would take a good deal of arm twisting, but at least it could be done. In Lieberman’s case it’s a lost cause. 😐

11. nellie says:

Thanks, Scher.

I knew when Lieberman was our 60th vote that we didn’t really have 60 votes. He has never been a progressive, or even a centrist. He’s a conservative. He’s tagged along with the republicans on bill after bill for years.

If progressives really want to get serious about the senate, they’ve got to start cultivating some candidates to challenge the blue dogs in the primaries. There’s no other way. We can’t only focus on GOP seats. We have to focus on conservative seats, whether they’re GOP or Dem.

Thanks for a great article. I just makes me wish I lived in CT. Then again, we have our hands full here in CA w DiFi.

12. Emerald1943 says:

I know this is off-topic, but I just have to tell everybody…

I live right off the Blue Ridge Parkway in western North Carolina. If you have been watching the weather channel, you already know of our snow storm. It has been snowing hard for a few hours and I would guess that I have about 4″ on my porch right now, and the snow is coming down even harder. We are forecast to get maybe 20″ by tomorrow.

I guess I’m still a kid at heart, but I love this! This is a comparatively wet snow that clings to every tree branch. It is absolutely gorgeous! It looks like one of those Currier & Ives prints. My two Shih Tzus are whining to go out to play. They love it too!

Anyway, this is getting me into the Christmas spirit…a little strange for a Buddhist, but it’s all good! I just wish you all could see what I see out my window! :-)

13. KevenSeven says:

Sherezade, I am delighted that you have joined us, and I am studying your post, thank you for that.

14. Chernynkaya says: