AdLib On December - 18 - 2009

Happiness_1Welcome to our Friday music thread! Our theme today are songs that you play to reflect, enhance or improve your mood. What are the songs that cheer you up? What music gets you revved up? What songs put you “in the mood”? What songs make you reflective?

Serve ’em up, a song and when you like playing it for what mood!

This song by Neil Young was my anti-Bush anthem (even before Michael Moore used it for the end credits of Fahrenheit 911), when I was pissed off at what he was doing to us and the world, I’d sing this pretty damn loud!

Rockin’ in the Free World

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQccK0F1_iY[/youtube]

Along those lines, when life sometimes seems to be trying to hammer me, this Tom Petty song says it all for me:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UimHzaL6tMQ[/youtube]

Nothing cheers me up or gets me slamming along than this Joey Ramone cover:

What a Wonderful World

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh1CI5sOh7A[/youtube]

As for chilling out, especially with enhancements, Pink Floyd ain’t half bad.

Wish You Were Here

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXdNnw99-Ic[/youtube]

This one from Stevie Ray Vaughn is super chill for me:

Riviera Paradise

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljVVFKjN0Dc[/youtube]

For a nice groove, here’s an oldie from old Fleetwood Mac

Hypnotized

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZeTlMpnfHk[/youtube]

Lastly, in honor of the holiday season, two very different songs that put me in the Christmas mood. The first reflects the proper holiday spirit all consumers should share:

The Kinks – Father Christmas

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dU6XZ2GQd48[/youtube]

John Lennon – Happy Xmas (War is Over)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb2YSAVHmIE[/youtube]

What songs are your mood enhancers?

Categories: Music Thread

Reflection

Lycia -- Drifting

Romantic

Sisters of Mercy -- Marian

Holiday

Faith & The Muse -- A Winter Wassail

Honestly, I’m working on uploading more from these Christmas albums. They deserve more exposure. I’m not shilling, they’ve just been with me for a while and make my holidays complete.

This one has an age limit, but this is who always revs me up.
    Achtung! German lyrics, shredding guitars and pyrotechnics. You were warned.

Rammstein -- Wei

2. sharonh says:

Am I the only one who thinks he was fantastico?

3. PatsyT says:

Hey this guy was born before us all

Rachmaninoff plays Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini- This IS Romance

4. nellie says:

Hello all — Please join us for Vox Populi. Here’s the link;

5. TheRarestPatriot says:

How old IS everyone in here, anyway? I’m 41.

I mean, I realize that’s a question I shouldn’t ask, but MY music tastes are fairly eclectic. People often say sort of brashly, “..You’re too YOUNG to remember that song !”…

To which I typically respond, “…that’s true, yet I listen to 150y/o Classical music, too…”….

Haha~

• choicelady says:

I’m older than that, but don’t remotely LOOK it, of course. Most of this is new to me, save the 150yo classical and Lennon. Thanks everyone for sharing. I am a Christmas nut and usually very happy, but today is in the top ten of worst days of my life, so I came here and got, if not cheered up, at least calmed down. Thanks to all!

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Oh Lady,…I can’t know what you’re experiencing, but please stay strong. Heck , I look to YOU and your wise conversation here as an anchor sometimes. ~smile~
        And like anchors, the stronger it is the better able the boat is to weather the strongest storms. Just know that I am here if you need to vent or yell or cry or whatever…

[email protected]

• PatsyT says:

Well we can’t have you felling low, what can we do?

Chin up choicelady, tomorrow is always another day. I hope it was nothing really bad. Hope that you feel better soon.

We were taught to never ask a lady her age, her real age that is.

• choicelady says:

Thank you Rarest, Patsy, Kalima! What happened is that a long-time ally totally screwed my organization out of a major grant. After weeks of my aiding him in developing said grant supposedly with both our organizations doing parts of the work, he dumped us out leaving us with no funding. It’s a lot about the money, but it’s discovering that he betrayed my years of friendship and alliance that is disastrous. I knew he was empire building. Never thought it would be on our back. I think what really sucked was his lofty tone of superiority as if we’d done something wrong. He changed the focus of work implying we were stupid and naive to want to do what he and I had begun negotiating.

Not only is it a personal betrayal, it leaves my organization teetering on having to close. I’m devastated. We may pull this out, working feverishly on that with other sources, but I am furious, and I don’t know what to do. I never thought that this person, with whom I am very close, would ever do what he has criticized OTHER groups doing to his. It was dishonest and dishonorable and totally unnecessary.

I am very grateful to you all for the support. I am not personally in fiancial peril, but my organization may be, and we have worked like dogs over the past 8 years to get us to be really effective. Now is NOT the time to eradicate our voice!

Damn.

• PatsyT says:

ChoiceLady,
            I think that people that work for
            non-profits are a special and rare breed.
            Sometimes I have been in a situation with volunteers
            where they let me or the project down and I had to try very hard to not take it personally. May sound silly but I have thought “What would Mother Teresa do?”
            So I would smile and say, slowly & very sincerely, I will take care of it, do not worry, and ask, if I could help them with their issue that was preventing them from helping our project.
            Next time around, they were there in full force ready for action.
            Well volunteers can be pretty different from the $$$ people
            So I feel for you.
            I hope all the best for you with this.

• Questinia says:

I’m around there too. I love the older stuff, newer stuff as well. But the older stuff I really adore. I missed the best time for music imo.

• KevenSeven says:

41? Get me my drool cup, you young punk.

I think you are at the young end of the planet demographic. Which is an issue I would like to see change, to be frank.

6. Questinia says:

Major SWOOOOOOOOOON! I was born TOO late . The 80’s YUCK! Early 90’s… not so bad.

7. Questinia says:

My favorite Buffalo Springfield song.

8. TheRarestPatriot says:

One of my very best cuts from the background soundtrack of my misspent youth….ahhhh…I really forgot how much I love this song…

9. Obama20082012 says:

Here is a song that I use

cheer me up!

10. TheRarestPatriot says:

No offense to those with delicate sensibilities, but I have purposely, ..on more than 1 occasion, …made certain this song was in ‘the mix’ for the 2am seduction scenario….LOL~

Other than the entire Dark Side of the Moon album, of course….

11. TheRarestPatriot says:

No other song, ever….has made me look down and see 100mph on the speedometer on a long open stretch of highway…and I had NO idea I was going that fast…LOL~

(My Revved Up entry)

12. bitohistory says:

Anyone remember this little group? I don’t know if they ever made it in the “biz.”

Q, just read your comment below, thank you, you too.

This is for you.

14. TheRarestPatriot says:

Hey everyone! I am back from Nashville, TN finally! I just couldn’t miss Friday Night music here….Haha~
    As some might remember, I had a bit of serendipity earlier in the week by being asked to come to Nashville to shoot a few stills from the set of a new EPIX network TV series, TOUGH TRADE. This was there pilot episode and they’re banking on it going over well. The series is about a country music family dynasty with 3 generations of musicians that are all drunks, womanizers, and just broken people. As Nashville ‘royalty’ they have slipped from the good graces of the industry and are banking everything on the youngest musician of the family to rescue the family from crashing and burning. ~whew~
    Anyway, once there, they said they had changed their minds and no longer needed me because their ‘regular’ photographer finally flew in from CA. Big friggin’ bummer…..

But then…wait for it…..they said, ” Hey!…we want you IN the movie!…Get over to wardrobe and get all countrified!”….I know…crazy, right? (no offense to anyone but I’m no huge fan of anything ‘country’, but this looked fun!)
    We shot one scene for 2 days…almost straight…. I play a non-speaking role of VIP Nashville Record Producer at the bar where the youngest kid comes to play and bombs….We filmed all over the interior of the famous Cadillac Ranch bar and wow….what an experience! The ‘extras’ had to play bar patrons, standing, dancing, etc…There were 10 tables for the VIP guests at the stage and I and my fake wife/date are at one of the tables! (So they can’t cut us out of the shot…haha!)
    I met, Trace Adkins, Sam Shepard, Claire van der Boom, Joey Lauren Adams, Lucas Black, Boyd Holbrook, Cary Elwes, and is directed by THE coolest director alive, Gavin Hood (he directed Rendition, Wolverine, etc.)
    I got to meet them ALL and they were the most down to earth, funny ass people ever! Sam Shepard was a little cold, but I did get to shake his hand at the ‘Wrap Party’…He said I was THE best background actor he ever saw….Haha~ The rest of the crew said he NEVER speaks to people and that he must’ve really meant what he said….Cool~
    If I knew how to upload a personal pic I could show you my outfit and my ‘fake date’….I don’t have a url…it’s local to my PC. Any ideas?

OK, …enough rambling…my apologies to Adlib. Wasn’t meaning to highjack the thread, but I thought this would the best forum for this tonight.
    I will grab some music and sit back and enjoy the thread tonight. Great topic, too!

• PatsyT says:

A Star is Born!

• bitohistory says:

Fantastic,TRP! next stop your SAG card and you won’t be speaking to us peons! :-)

• TheRarestPatriot says:

Oh God, …no, no….no, no, no…haha~

I think I was just a schlub in the right place at the right time. Heck, for all I know about the process…I could just be a blur in the background…LOL~

It was exciting though…tedious, but met some super, super neat people for sure. My fake date is a Nashville music singer and I just adored her. We just bonded in like the 1st hour and were inseparable after that. (almost like an ACTUAL couple…LOL) It was so much easier to act with her because we hit it off as friends. Two others buddies there had dates that when the scene was over they just disappeared until the next shot. I teased them both nights that they’d better reign in there dates….LMAO~

• Questinia says:

That’s cuz…… “You got it baby”

• TheRarestPatriot says:

LMAO, Q !

I’ll tell ya’ what, after working for 17hrs straight on the 1st day and 18hrs the next…if I do indeed have ‘IT’,…I’m going to the doctors office for a shot to kill ‘it’.!….LOL~