SueInCa On December - 17 - 2009

409px-Duerer-PrayerThis prayercast was held yesterday………………………

The Family Research Council Action PAC just finished it’s spend 90-minute “prayercast,” an online event to pray for God’s intercession to get Senators to stop the health care bill, and it sure was interesting to watch.

Overall, the event provided a good look at the theocratic right, about which we’ll have more to write tomorrow. Guests included — either live, by phone, or on pre-recorded video — Sens. Jim DeMint (R-SC) and Sam Brownback (R-KS), Reps. Michele Bachmann (R-MN), Randy Forbes (R-VA), Todd Akin (R-MO) and others.

But let’s start our review with one fun moment from tonight. At the beginning of the event, FRC president Tony Perkins and his co-host Lou Engle spoke of a stirring moment from the Constitutional Convention of 1787. Benjamin Franklin called for the feuding delegates to join together in prayer to God, and how “without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel.”

“And you know what happened?” Perkins asked. “History records that they prayed.”

Actually, history records that they did not pray — and this has been a recurring myth of the American religious right that never goes away. As the Library of Congress says: “Franklin’s motion failed, ostensibly because the Convention had no funds to pay local clergymen to act as chaplains.”

We’ll have more tomorrow.

Now, I am not one to put religion down, to each his own, but how in hell do these people think praying to a merciful god would stop healthcare reform?  Are we not told to believe that God is merciful and only wants what is best for us?  If that is the case, how could a merciful God stop a healthcare bill that eventually could evolve in to the same type of coverage as every other civilized country in the world has now?  A commenter on the article posted this passage from the bible and since I am not real good with bible passages, I will use it:

“Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. Therefore whoever resists the authority resists the ordinance of God, and those who resist will bring judgment on themselves” (Rom. 13:1-2).

These people were praying to have God intervene in our healthcare debate because God does not want a government such as ours is now, basically saying they are all pagans.

If I believed in such a place as hell, I would say the gates are already open for these clowns.  Rachel Maddow also reported on this on her show tonite.  You gotta love Senator Sanders(see the video).

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBTtv7nTYzY

Written by SueInCa

I am a soon to be 59 Nana to Anthony who is 11. I live in Benicia CA with my husband and Shih Tsu. I worked in Banking and the Financial Industry for 24 years in Fraud, Risk Management, Account Management, Program Management, Project Management and Customer Service. I was a Fraud Investigator for Credit Card and Merchant Business and investigated internal fraud and responded to Bank robberies. I was also management in most of these positions. Now I am content to find a part time job where I am just a worker bee, no more corporate BS for this gal. I also make jewelry. I can spend hours in a bead shop just touching all the fine baubles. Only another beader would understand that one.

1. SueInCa says:

Emerald

Sarah Palin’s religious mentor is a part of the reclaiming the 7 mountains group. I will look up my notes somewhere in a journal to find the name.

Loren Cunningham, also a part, praised Palin and Bachman as fine christian women who should be at the top of our government in some form or fashion. No shit……………..I think Jeff Sharlet should do a sequel book. They all come back to The Family in some way or another. Maybe I will send off and email to Rachel Maddow.

2. PepeLepew says:

You know a scary thought?

If right-wing religious fundamentalists actually got everything they wanted. Wouldn’t America be a scary place?

Has anyone here ever read “The Handmaid’s Tale?”

• Emerald1943 says:

Hi Pepe! Good to see you! :-)

That’s one reason that I have been violently opposed to Sarah Palin with her witch-doctor and bible-thumping. They would put Sarah “on the throne” where she would like to be, and the rest of us would be totally scrooo’d!

I don’t really believe she is all that religious though. I think she just uses it to connect with the rest of the loonies. I would be willing to put good money on her having LOTS of skeletons in her little closet…maybe a few affairs and a couple of other sex scandals? She ain’t “pure as the driven snow” as she would like us to think she is!

• PepeLepew says:

Seriously, if fundamentalist right-wing Christo-fanatics REALLY actually got what they wanted? If they really could get their wet dream wish list, what would you see?

(And granted, I don’t believe it will EVER come to this … this is just a nightmare scenario of what I think people like James Dobson or Fred Phelps would do if they really could … and thank goodness we have a Constitution that would never allow this.)

1) Of course, abortions would be illegal. No. 1 on the to-do list. All contraception would be banned, too.
        2) Homosexuality banned. Homosexuals rounded up and put in “re-education” camps.
        3) Sex outside of marriage banned, especially for women. Guys, they’d probably look the other way.
        4) Islam banned. Muslims would be rounded up and/or deported. Probably wouldn’t be safe to be a Buddhist or even a Catholic, either.
        5) The teaching of evolution and the Big Bang would be banned. In fact, physics, astronomy and biology in general wouldn’t be taught. Only Bible study and creationism in all the public schools. In fact, most libraries would probably be closed. No reason to read anything but the Bible.
        6) Church attendance would be mandatory for all. Those refusing to attend church would be jailed.
        7) Stem cell research? Forget it. Banned. MS and Alzheimer’s are God’s will.

That’s just the tip of the iceberg, I think!

• KevenSeven says:

We are only one turn of the screw away from the Religious Right forming Morality Brigades who would shoot down like rabid dogs women who dared dress provocatively.

And my life would be much poorer if women ceased to dress provocatively, so I say thank you but no thank you.

• Scheherazade says:

It’s been nice knowing you…

U.S. Christian Right Activists Pushing Death Penalty for Homosexuals in Poor African State
      CAPE TOWN, Nov 11 (IPS) -- The Anti-Homosexuality Bill under consideration in Uganda was sparked by a conference in Kampala earlier this year at which fundamentalist Christians from the U.S. identified homosexuality as a threat to “family values”.

The draconian law will institute the death penalty for “aggravated homosexuality” and criminalize human rights work.

Christopher Senyonjo, a retired Anglican bishop from Uganda, and Reverend Jide Macauley, from Nigeria’s House of Rainbow church, told IPS that a conference took place on March 5-7 this year, arranged by Stephen Langa, the director of a Ugandan fundamentalist Christian grouping called Family Life Network (FLN).

The FLN invited speakers attached to U.S.-based religious and “educational” organizations that propagate the idea that homosexuality is an “illness” that can be “cured”.

Changing values

The speakers were Don Schmierer, a board member at Exodus International; Scott Lively, president of Abiding Truth Ministries and author of a book that equates Nazism and homosexuality; and Caleb Lee Brundidge who works at the International Healing Foundation which ostensibly “cures” homosexuals.

“They told us all things are going wrong because the family is being neglected. Not having more children is one of the things that they said are going wrong. Homosexuality is a way of stopping us from having more children,” said Senyonjo.

If you finish reading that article you will see that people like me would soon be executed.

I have and I found life under the Bush Presidency too damn close.

Watching clips from that Prayercast, I did take some comfort in having Obama in the White House and these lunatics being shut out.

During the Bush admin, many of these wackos had regular teleconferences, meetings and input with them.

And people scratch their heads how America went off a cliff?

3. KevenSeven says:

This is what people who claim to know the mind of god do.

There was a time, a wonderful time, not to long ago, when one’s religious convictions were a personal matter; about as likely to be discussed as what sexual acts one especially favored.

What the fuck happened to that perfectly civilized norm? Where did the religiously inclined get the idea that they have any right foist their delusions on the rest of us?

Seriously. There are millions of Americans who are convinced they are going to hell (and who am I to tell them different?) if they do not convince everyone else that their interpretations of the rantings of a bunch of bronze age peasants, who were hallucinating on spoiled meat as like as not, are the Word Of God.

What drivel. I want these simpletons to shut the hell up and leave me alone. I am a free-born American and a beneficiary of the Enlightenment. There is zero reason to believe in the existence of a god of any sort and I for one resent like hell the influence of the religious on the body politic.

And I also say, the hell with respect. I get none from them, I am not prepared to return the favor. I refuse to tolerate their intolerance. Those who want to practice their voodoo in private and not bother me with it will not learn of my low opinion of voodoo. Everybody happy.

Religious extremism is as much a hazard in the US as it is anywhere else in the world. I want none of it.

What happened was Nixon’s campaign which began the process of cleaving the GOP to the Religious Right.

Once the religious extremists got a whiff of political influence, they were addicted and only wanted more and more.

I would think if Jesus came back today, he would end up being crucified by those claiming to be the most extreme and passionate Christians.

• KevenSeven says:

What happened was that a primitive and violent species developed a brain sufficiently large to cause it to ask, “where did all this come from?”

Now that we have been asking that question for 100k years, we are finally finding some answers.

The pity of it is that most of us refuse to let go of the answers cooked up by humans as ignorant as the Israelites of 6000 years ago.

4. Scheherazade says:

I see there are many people here that I’ve not seen in some time. KQuark being one of them.

I remember you from HP, wonderful to see you here.

• SueInCa says:

Good to see you here too. I actually had a no-huffpo thursday yesterday and it felt good.

• Scheherazade says:

Actually, I’ve been permanently kicked out. 😛 I cannot even login to Huffy from my current IP address.

• javaz says:

I took control of my own destiny at HP and banned myself by deleting my account and that was liberating.
          I like to think it is my little way of boycotting a site that is more right-wing propaganda than progressive.
          You will like it here at The Planet, Scheherazade, because we are free here to express ourselves openly, but with respect and no personal attacks, which keeps the trolls at bay.
          I wish that I was better at debating, but I do enjoy reading the debates that have occurred here.
          And I can honestly say that I’ve learned more from the members on this site than anywhere else.

• nellie says:

Why do they do that? It’s so weird. I don’t know of any other news aggregation site that does anything like that.

• Scheherazade says:

I’m sure the hate email I’ve sent to Arianna didn’t help. 😆

• Hopeington says:

I guess I haven’t sent enough Scheherazade, but I’m working on it, I figure I’m going to keep it up over there until I get I banned.
              They did let some of my words about the Greek Whoracle go through in my comments, but scrub most of what I say. And nothing, no matter how well disguised, about planetpov, has gotten through except once.
              Always like your wit and intelligent comments. Glad you made it out.

• Scheherazade says:

Actually, I’ve sent my hate directly to the whore’s email directly.

If you need the list of email addys drop me a line at [email protected] :)

• Emerald1943 says:

I can’t believe they completely banned you. Now what on earth could you have possibly done to warrant that kind of treatment? :-)

I’ve never gotten myself banned, but I know I’ve been flagged a few times. I couldn’t care less! I’m pretty fed up with them.

• Scheherazade says:

Heh. Well I’m known for being confrontational with the reichwingers. 😉 I guess they get a bit sick of that, but there is another thing… I’ve sent emails to Arianna herself & CC’d it to her staff in which I gave her a serious piece of my mind.

If you ever need or want those addys let me know! :) hehe.

• KevenSeven says:

Do you really exist as a blogger until you are banned somewhere?

Now there is a philosophical question for the time in which we live!

• KevenSeven says:

Congratulations on joining the ranks of the banned. You may, as may of us do, find it very liberating.

We will be delighted to host you here. I’ll be especially pleased to see you if you like to have a vigorous debate. I like a good debate.

They should have named this travesty “Preycast.”

• BigDogMom says:

“All in the name of Jesus”…one, (Jesus), which this group has created to suit their needs, that is so far from the actual man portrayed in the bible.

If the real Jesus walked the earth today, they would not recognize him and put him down as a socialist, commie, aarraabbb!

Your term “Preycast” is on the mark, these so-called religious Christians ‘prey’ on the fears of their followers and distort facts to fit their own goals.

6. javaz says:

So, does this mean the people praying for divine intervention to help an ill loved one with health care, that their prayers are misplaced?
    The religious reich in this country are not Christians, but selfish liars and hypocritical hate-mongers.

Here’s a prime example --

Chuck Norris wrote an article stating that the baby Jesus would have been aborted under Obamacare.

“”Norris ends his column with a sneak preview of his next column, entitled “Away With the Manger,” in which he promises to detail “how the feds are whitewashing America’s Judeo-Christian heritage via a progressive, politically correct and pro-Muslim platform.””

7. whatsthatsound says:

Since most CINOs (Christians in name only) can’t even tell you all of the Ten Commandments, here’s a list they could probably be convinced come from the Big Guy Himself

Thou Shalt Not be a Communist or a Socialist
    Thou Shalt Not Kill, Unless it Be-ith to Win Some Stupid War
    Thou Shalt Not Vote For a Democrat, Whom I Loveth Not
    Thou Shalt Observe the Sabbath, So that Thou Shall Be Able to Watch NASCAR, which I Holdeth in High Esteem
    Thou Shalt Not Commit Adultery; Indeed, Thou Shalt Not Even Act Like an Adult
    Thou Shalt Bear Arms
    etc,

8. whatsthatsound says:

Our Senator, who art in Connecticut,
    Lieberman be thy name;
    Thy principles none, thy will be done
    in the House as it is in the Senate
    ….

When all is said and done, a Christian, a true Christian doesn’t ever pray for negative things, or winning a horse race, the lottery, a new car, tv or swimming pool. We pray for peace in the world, for an end to hunger and suffering, for a sick family member, friend or neigbour or for the strength to guide us through difficult times. What these people do in the name of Jesus is blasphemous against the very man they proclaim to believe in. God help them, no one else will.

Really? Benjamin Franklin? He’d be too lukewarm for these people (Biblical reference). Aren’t these the same people who freaked out when a Hindu gave the opening benediction once? This goes into the school prayer thing with me. The realities of a pluralistic nation have nothing to do with “doing away with God”. If they can, honestly, suggest that they’d be okay with the Gita, Qur’an, Bible, Talmud, Dhammapada, Tao Te Ching, etc. all being taught together in their kids’ schools and everyone participating in interfaith celebrations, that would be one thing. But this little exercise, and the method in which it is conducted (different religions pray different ways -- though the less formal prayers are less distinguishable, the manner, when led, is discernible), no matter their exhortations that everyone is free to pray to their own god is bullshit.

By the way, was the New Zealand billboard already brought up? Even if so, it gave me a good chuckle:

11. KevenSeven says:

These people say they are Christians, and who am I to argue?

I don’t know in what important ways these people differ from the Taliban.

Except of course that they are right here in America.

These people claim to know the mind of god. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

• whatsthatsound says:

Under the Taliban, women are prohibited from receiving an education.
      Women are not allowed to leave home without wearing a burka.
      Music, movies and TV, picnics, wedding parties et alia; no dice
      Any violations of the above might get you stoned, hanged, or might cost you an arm and a leg, or at least a hand or a foot, literally.

As backwards as the Christian Right here are, they are not the Taliban, nor do I imagine they would ever reach that point. At least give them “credit” for setting up Michelle Bachmann and Sarah Palin (women in government? Outrageous!) as two of their most outspoken and high profile leaders.

• KevenSeven says:

There are plenty of equally reactionary “Christians” here in the US.

Replace science with creationism?
        Shoot doctors. In church?
        Deny gays equal rights?
        Block scientific study of stem cells?
        Hound the grieving survivors of KIA soldiers, at the funerals?
        Demand profession of faith as a precondition to holding elected office?
        Endless blather about the End of Days and direct efforts to encourage it and its genesis in Israel?

Palin was named to the ticket in a cynical attempt to attract PUMAs. Nothing more. Certainly not for her brains. I don’t give Deranged Christians credit for shit.

Here is a fact for you: The Deranged Religious Extremist exists everywhere, and everywhere are an existential hazard to civilization. This camel is attempting to stick its damp and snotty nose into the tent built by The Enlightenment, and once it gets a glimpse of what is inside, will tear down the tent.

Deranged Christians will begin shooting women in the streets for immodest dress shortly after we allow them another inch of our society. I fear and detest them.

12. SueInCa says:

Well I am out for the night. Hey AdLib, this post made the first page of Google search so we are moving up in the world. Good going to all who initiated this site. Y’all have a wonderful evening, or day for you Kalima. Night.

13. boomer1949 says:

Okay everyone…my last comment of the day…

Just sent this to the Online Prayer Thingy so I can sleep tonight:

“Online Prayer Cast Inquiry:

Dear Judgmental Family Research Council:

How hypocritical of your organization to argue against health care reform. What would you have done if Jesus had walked past your dieing spouse, child, or parent? At one point in my life, I was involved and heavily influenced by individuals believing the same as you. Saddest part of my life. Why? Because I came to realize no one really cared about me, me the person, me. Nope, y’all just wanted to save my soul. Unfortunately none of you realized how evil you were. Nothing is worse than self-righteous, arrogant, and judgmental humans. Jesus would be so disappointed, so extremely disappointed. Shame, shame on you, your organization, and those you have seduced into believing your “Jim Jones Diatribe”. Grow up and get lives, Sweep your own doorsteps before you take your broom to your neighbor’s house”

I know…as I told Kalima a couple of days ago: I’m wound up tighter than Santa’s alarm clock.

Is it Saturday yet?

You mean Jesus didn’t charge an arm and a leg for his miracles or raising Lazarus from the grave? He didn’t drive the money lenders INTO the temple?!

And yes, the coldness you speak of I experienced too. It was all so fake. In the end they just cared about the “points” they got from “saving” me. In one sense this was more than metaphorical -- they actually got points for bringing people to church and even more for them accepting Jesus Christ -- heck, I went through it, what the hell, I’ve also taken the Shahada, I hope they cancel each other out -- if not that, well, my dabbling in Wicca would have done the trick. Needless to say, back to your point, they don’t actually care about you. I could rant on and on about this, but all you need to do is run out and rent the movie ‘Saved!’ -- it’s all in there. Fortunately I never encountered anything as Fascistic as ‘Jesus Camp’, though I can easily imagine some of those places getting that radical. It’s all a matter of degree.

• SueInCa says:

If I ever had found one of my kids at that Jesus Camp, it would have been 5150 for them at Contra Costa County hospital. That piece was truly sick.

• seehowtheyrun says:

You’re on a roll Boomer.

LOL. As Pepe said: you’re on fire!

You tell em boomer! Lot of bloody brainwashed, nasty hypocrites!

If it’s Saturday, I’ve missed most of my Friday.

• SueInCa says:

How did you find them? I would like to send them a letter as well

14. SueInCa says:

Speaking of crazy eyes, I do believe Palin, Bachman and the like are brain washed. Bachman belongs to a church that holds these teen meetings/jesus camps and they bombard the kids with loud religious rock music for a long time, then preach to them to accept jesus christ as their saviour or they will be doomed to the gates of hell. It is a crazy bunch of people.