Corgi Lover On November - 28 - 2009

Desserts001

It is that time of year.  Desserts and treats are desirous and acceptable.  So in honor of this tradition, dating back to the era of when we semi-hibernated, let us begin sharing with each others our favorite treats.  It can be cakes, pies, cookies, puddings, or any other kind of sinfully delicious and appealing foodstuff we wish to pass on to others.

From me, a delicious candy dessert my mother made.

Cathedral Windows

1-6 oz. pkg chocolate chips

2 Tbsp margarine

1 egg, beaten

Coconut

3 cups multicolored miniature marshmallows

½ cup chopped nuts

Melt chocolate chips and margarine in double boiler.  Add beaten egg, cook stirring constantly until thick and smooth.  Cool to room temperature.  Add marshmallows and nuts..  Roll into log 1 ½ inces in diameter.  Sprinkle or roll in coconut.  Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.  Slice and serve.

I recommend buying enough chips and marshmallows to make at least 2 batches, as they will be consumed rapidly and with abandon.

Categories: Speakers' Corner

1. javaz says:

Sugar-free mousse

1/4 cup water
    1 package (4-serving size) sugar-free lime gelatin
    2 -- 6 oz. containers of fat-free, sugar-free Key Lime yogurt
    1 -- 8 oz sugar-free, reduced fat whipped topping thawed

1 low-fat graham cracker crust -- optional (graham cracker crusts contain sugar)

Combine gelatin and water in large bowl and microwave until gelatin dissolves

Fold in yogurt and whipped topping and then pour into serving bowl(s) or pour into graham cracker crust

Chill 4 hours and garnish as desired

You can choose any assortment of fruit flavors
    Such as strawberry gelatin, strawberry yogurt, and you can cut fruit into the mixture before chilling.
    Lemon gelatin and lemon meringue pie yogurt
    Orange gelatin and orange yogurt
    etc

The recipe takes 5 minutes to prepare and is diabetic friendly!

• BigDogMom says:

Morning javaz, I see I missed a wonderful night of decadence discussing desserts…my favorite subject!

Cakes, cookies and pies are my favorite, every once in a while I get the baking bug, all from scratch, not big on processed foods.

I have to watch eating anything that is sugar free, they usually have aspartame in them, makes me feel real sick….

• javaz says:

Morning BDM!

Well, you could use the ingredients that contain sugar.

I love sweets, all sweets, but especially lemon meringue pie.
        I used to bake lemon meringue pies from scratch using my mother’s recipe, but once I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, that was the end of that.

Fortunately for diabetics they do sell sugar-substitutes that can be used in baking, and I’m going to try a cake from scratch using it.
        The problem is the icing.
        I’ll probably resort to sugar-free pudding mixed with sugar-free whipped topping as the frosting.
        I’ve done that before and it really does make a great cake topping, but the cake must be refrigerated.

• BigDogMom says:

I always refrigerate my cakes, I love it when the frosting is hard! Sounds weird but it’s a texture thing, I really don’t like anything that is mushy!

My late brother-in-law used to make the best key lime pie, unfortunately he went to the grave with the recipe, why do people do that!

How’s everything today? I saw on the news this morning that southern AZ had a big dust storm, was thinking about you and Monk, hope all is OK with both of you.

2. KevenSeven says:

On the newsstand just now is my fave Italian cooking mag, with cream filled puff pastries topped in chocolate sauce.

Very tempting.

Gosh FM, I wish that I could join you in giving my favourite recipe for a sumptuous dessert but I hardly ever eat them and certainly not when I’m eating out, prefer a glass of Amaretto instead. I might eat a piece of dark, bitter chocolate once in a while, that is is hubby hasn’t found it and scoffed the lot.

Now if you were talking about pickles and sour things, I’m all ears.

• FeloniousMonk says:

Kalima, I’m too cheap and broke, to eat desserts at a restaurant. And I do like a glass of Amaretto, also. Unfortunately, Type II diabetes precludes me from partaking of that too often, either.

• choicelady says:

So sorry Felonious! But this treat must also be off limits, too? Why is it so many Americans have developed not just diabetes but such massive food intolerances? Makes you wonder what we’re doing to ourselves. But for everyone who CAN partake, enjoy! I have a friend with bladder cancer who can no longer drink coffee. I can’t eat wheat. So he eats bread for me, and I drink coffee for him. And we trade stories. Hey -- it works for us.

Sorry to hear that FM, can’t be pleasant.

I’ve always been more sour than sweet. My grandmother caught me several times when I was a little nipper, drinking vinegar from the bottle, my mother was the same.

Hubby has a sweet tooth but his cholesterol was higher during his last head to toe check up. I’m running out of places to hide the chocolate clients always give him this time of the year. It’s a work in progress, he always finds them.

• nellie says:

Kalima, if your husband can eat walnuts and dates, I have a raw recipe that might satisfy his chocolate cravings with minimal health drawbacks.

Put equal parts medjool dates, raw cacao, and raw walnuts in a food processor and process to a smooth batter. Spread in a pan and chill in the fridge. You get really tasty brownies — like fudge. I’ve given them to several non raw people, and they’re always a hit.

Oh nellie that sounds great, thank you, I will certainly try that. I can watch what he eats at home until he goes upstairs, there he has a hidden stash of rice cakes he will eat after a filling meal. I think that it’s more a bad habit than actual hunger but resent his doctor thinking that my cooking is the problem, it’s not.

He’s very fit and is at his gym now, he is not overweight but both his father and older brother were and are diabetics, I hope that he can avoid this.

• nellie says:

These chocolate goodies are surprisingly rich and sweet, but they’re made of whole foods, so they’re also nutritious. I’ve been transitioning to a raw diet for the past year. I still lapse pretty often, but I feel so much better than I used to. I never get headaches any more. And I’ve got a lot more energy.

Diabetes is definitely something to avoid. Our food in the U.S. is so full of additives and chemicals, salt and sugar, it’s no wonder we have an epidemic here.

• escribacat says:

Questinia — I ate in a raw food restaurant in SF. The food was pretty good but man, did they sock us with a huge bill! It seemed more like a gimmick than anything.

• nellie says:

Thanks for that tip!

Raw food from raw food chefs is TERRIBLE. Better to eat an orange. They spend all their time trying to imitate cooked food — which seems to defeat the point.

I hadn’t heard that about raw restaurants! It doesn’t surprise me. Raw food spoils as soon as you look at it. Not like that yummy Haagen Dazs you’re eating, or the Doritos I can’t seem to give up!

• Questinia says:

Whatever you do, nellie, don’t go to a raw food restaurant…biggest reason for food poisoning in NYC ER’s.

Eating Haagen Dazs strawberry ice cream as I wrote that!

• choicelady says:

My husband eats raw lemons. It took me six months to get over the pain in my glands that produced watching him. We must all have different taste buds. I’m more of a salt-a-holic. Anything salty and savory -- I’m there.

• Questinia says:

Umeboshi?

😆 Yes in the summer, but I would be mad if anyone ever took a picture of me eating them.

Try the real Japanese ones and take a picture of yourself as you chew them, not the latest Vogue cover, I can assure you but great in summer for balancing the salt loss due to the sauna like weather.

• Questinia says:

How about eating natto naked in a sauna?

Yes I remember that view very well 😆 it was what I remember the most about the OG times. Amazing that we didn’t break anything or were permanently brain damaged. I seem to remember always falling either on my head or my shinny knees. My grandmother thought that my bones were made of rubber.

• Questinia says:

LOL! I seem to recall we were on our heads when we learned it. Remember how the sky looked when it was the floor?

It was spot on Q, even if we can only do it standing on our heads.

Well done fellow OG!

• Questinia says:

I return the OG salute, Kalima!

|_

Did I do it right? (It’s a good one!)

All I can think of is the arm in the air, hand bent, mimicking the times we scrabbled at branches on our way to the ground while falling out of the trees.

I’m saluting you now. |_

• Questinia says:

I give you the OG salute!

(pssst, have we come up with one yet?)

Actually Q they are not moldy just fermented and you could never say anything to me that I would perceive as harsh, not from another OG. :)

• Questinia says:

Sorry Kalima, that was unnecessarily harsh. But a way I read natto described!

Forgive me!!

• Questinia says:

I make soup stock with dirty socks… Nah! I’m not afraid of a few moldy beans cooked in Satan’s anus.

You know what they say about beans Q, it’s true.

If you do find some, please add a little soy sauce and yellow mustard, if you eat it the way it is, it might be similar to eating dirty socks, just fair warning.

• Questinia says:

Bounce? Where?

I’m DEFINITELY finding natto somewhere in NYC. Wts whetted my curiosity and you, K, klinched it!

LOL, too sticky and too stinky too. People would leave and complain I’m sure. Many Japanese, especially the younger ones, don’t eat it, they think that I’m nuts, they might be right. I eat it every morning, it makes me bounce.

4. Questinia says:

I saw deserts on my email and I hot-footed it right on over here. Eating deserts with abandon! I love it. Reminds me…

When I was 19, shy, melancholy, and traveling alone in Paris I bought a Charlotte Malakoff cake (chocolate mousse cake surrounded by lady’s fingers) an apple tart, eclairs and napoleons, then went back to my little garret hotel room, displayed them all on my bed, got naked, and went to town. Charlotte and I had quite a time. But it was the eclairs what done me in.

5. choicelady says:

This is lovely! I am very wheat intolerant, so holiday treats are often off-limits for me. This is a keeper and sounds delish! Thank you, FeloniousMonk!