nellie On November - 12 - 2009

PPOVfacebookAdLib has been good enough to let me start working on a facebook page for PPOV:

PlanetPOV page on facebook!

If you’re a member of facebook, please think about fanning our page and spreading the word to the facebook community. We’re also going to connect to twitter and beef up our social networking presence.

I’ve modeled the facebook page after other popular facebook pages (e.g., Barack Obama’s page). The page doesn’t allow fans to add posts to the page, but people can comment on the posts that appear there. The reason for this is to prevent off topic or abusive posting by people who might visit the site for that purpose. We’re also trying to encourage people to post here—at the main website.

I’ve tried to post the most popular articles from the many posted here, selecting about two to three per day. I’ve focused on our discussions of policy and social issues. Let me know what other kind of posts you think would be helpful to publicize our community. Or if you have any other suggestions for our facebook page, please let me know. You can post here, or email me at nellieblogger @ yahoo dot com.

Enjoy!

Categories: PlanetPOV

1. PepeLepew says:

One thing about PPOV, I won’t fan the Facebook page yet, because my Facebook account is my real name and location, etc., and I’ve had two posters at HP the last week make vaguely threatening comments toward me (One was that Bluesmann psycho). Without sounding paranoid, I hope, I just feel comfortable taking all the precautions I can to protect myself and my family. I will look into setting up a duplicate Facebook account.

2. PepeLepew says:

Slightly off topic, but one thing I find a little uncomfortable with Facebook, and maybe it was just my repressed upbringing, are people who insist on using Facebook to tell everyone they’re really depressed over something, or using Facebook to preach about their religious beliefs. I have a lot of friends who do both, and I guess I just find it awkward to use a public Internet page to tell everyone out there that you’re depressed or posting Scripture… It just seems like there are more appropriate venues for that kind of stuff.

• Mogamboguru says:

It could backfire badly, too. Some employers check out the Facebook-pages of applicants already.

And there might be a lot of things, one wouldn’t want a potential employer to know in advance -- while the employer might use this free, additional knowledge just to decide against taking you, but hire another, more convenient contender, instead…

3. Mogamboguru says:

I must confess that am no “facebooker”.

Therefore, I find it hard to understand what it is, that makes this place so special and important to everyone these days.

Can someone explain the importance of Facebook to me in a few short sentences even an old lad like me can understand, please?

• nellie says:

I have a very close, large, busy family that lives all over the place. The money I would spend on phone bills and the irritation I would experience with email would be impossible. If something happens, someone posts to facebook and we all know about it. It keeps our family up to date. Same with friends who live far and wide.

If you don’t know anyone who uses it, yes, it’s useless. But if everyone you know uses it, it becomes very a very important communication tool.

• PepeLepew says:

My best explanation of Facebook is that it is slightly less stupid than Twitter. 😉

Seriously, one thing I do like about it is you can join groups and organizations and you get plenty of press releases on your Facebook page that you otherwise might not find. For instance, we get press releases that they started the attempt to free Spirit from the sand dune and that they’ve fired up the Hadron Supercollider again — and to some people in this household, that stuff is important.

4. nicole473 says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t do Facebook?? I do have a personal account, primarily in order to keep track of my son’s goings on. But I really don’t even visit FB more than once every couple of months.

Nellie, you did a fabulous job! One of the more interesting FB pages I’ve seen.

If, however, you are looking to promo this site, your best option might be Twitter. I’ve used Twitter for quite a while, and it is an excellent tool.

• nellie says:

We linked it to twitter, so hopefully that will generate some traffic.

I use facebook all the time, so my pov (!) is a little biased toward the application. I have family and friends all over the country and all over the world. And they’re all really busy people. I’d never know what was going on with them if not for facebook. I wouldn’t even know when the babies are born! So for me it’s a lifeline. I guess if the people you know use it, it’s worthwhile.

I don’t use it that much for politics. It can get like HP with flame wars and people who make up their own “facts” to support an argument. But there are a lot of people who do politics on fb — especially the Obama supporters. So I’m hoping we can reel in a few of those folks.

5. escribacat says:

Speaking of woo-woo moments…last night I went over to Facebook to look at Nellie’s new PPOV page. I NEVER go to facebook. While there I thought I should see if my empty facebook page was still there and it was. I NEVER look at it. I clicked on my one facebook friend, a guy who lives in Paris. I NEVER go to his page. There was the news that he had died a couple weeks ago of H1N1 in Paris. What a shock. (He was only 34.) As strange as it sounds, thank you, Nellie. I may never have found out about my friend…

I think I do believe in some woo-woo stuff….

• nellie says:

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about your friend.

I really wonder about this H1N1 virus. Here in California, they’re saying we have a particularly mild strain of it, and we’re being told not to get alarmed if we get sick, only go to the hospital if we feel like it’s something other than the usual flu. And then I hear stories like this.

Truly sorry.

• escribacat says:

I was pretty shocked when I saw that — and upset. There may have been some other problems involved though. I know he was planning to have gastric bypass surgery (or already had). But I’m thinking maybe I will get a shot now.

What’s also eerie is the chronology of events shown on his facebook page. His last entries, saying he wasn’t feeling well, another saying he wasn’t getting better, and his last entry saying he had to go to the hospital. Then entries from his wife saying he was still in ICU, then the announcement, and a rush of entries from his family and friends. Death in the internet age.

• PepeLepew says:

That’s so sad. How awkward to read that.
          I made sure my kid got a shot, finally, after waiting three weeks and fighting down some mild panic over having to wait, but I’m not in a risk group and vaccines are short in Montana, so I didn’t get one. I don’t think I’ve caught the flu in over 20 years, though I caught a nasty adenovirus about 10 years ago.

• FeloniousMonk says:

I got both flu shots yesterday. I’m in several “at risk” categories and especially since I will soon be no longer covered by insurance, my doctor made sure I got them.

Also negotiated for different, less expensive drugs, mostly the kind I can get as the generics at Walmart, Frys Food, etc, in the $10 for 90 days prices.

• nicole473 says:

Really weird. My son’s fever didn’t go over 101 until the third day. Luckily, it never went over 103, or I would have had to take him to the hospital.

My understanding is that the most vulnerable age range is teens to 60.

I am very sorry that your friend died, Escriba. :(

• nicole473 says:

Both my son and I had it several weeks ago. He had the worst case, with a fever of 103 at one point.
        I felt really lousy, had the hacking cough, and had some difficulty breathing.

I think the severity of this one is still up in the air, but I try to remember that 36,000 Americans die annually from the seasonal flu.

If it morphs in to something just a little nastier or more virulent, however, I would think that it would be a very dangerous situation.

Thanks, nellie, and what a great job.
    And good morning to all!
    It looks as though I’ll be working this evening/night, so I may miss the party. (Or possibly be the last arrival.) Have fun, all.

• FeloniousMonk says:

You’re doing valuable work in your occupation and you have one. Both are a good thing. Good morning to you to, Kesmarn.

Thanks so much, Monk, and good morning. I was interrupted with a phone call, so haven’t been able to post much this a.m.
        I did see your note saying you got the flu vaccines. I’m glad you did. I also got both and when I see how sick people are, I wish everyone could get them asap. I know the CDC is doing the best it can. More vaccine is arriving all the time.

• FeloniousMonk says:

In 1972 I was reconsidering majors and the school I was in had a BSN program. But back then if you didn’t sell them on the idea that you just wanted it for the good you would do, as opposed to also having a relatively stable livelihood, you weren’t acceptable. But then again, this was a Catholic College in middle America.

Monk, just realized I typed a totally dumb comment and edited it out. Love that edit button.

More later, when I’m more coherent!

• FeloniousMonk says:

Kesmarn, I’ve been on the “other side” where coherency is definitely optional, so I probably could have figured your comment out easily compared to the stuff I’ve been seeing!

• FeloniousMonk says:

Kesmarn: Today I was GringFloss for part of the time and SarahAnnDippity for part of the time.

Breaking news. Phone just rang and, for the short term, I am on-call. Halleluiah! I’ve spent enough time there this past week. If I vanish suddenly, you’ll know the phone rang again.

Ha! Are you still Gringfloss?

7. jillsond says:

That’s odd. I was just talking to my sister about quitting FB. And HP. Damn! I’m so running out of steam…

Three cheers for Nellie!!! Thanks so much, great work!

I just went to FaceBook but am confused (again) is it on AdLib PlanetPOV because I just just submitted there to become a friend and was informed that they had messed up my request.

There are two pages set up, one is a personal style page (Adlib Planetpov) and the other is a business page (PlanetPOV).

I set up Adlib Planetpov because I could automate postings there but couldn’t do so on a business page.

Now that Nellie has us rolling great on the business page (PlanetPOV), we should focus on that one.

Was that properly confusing?

Thank you so much nellie for taking this on. The last time I checked the Planet’s FaceBook page was when AdLib had just put it up. I will check it out later because I’m thinking of closing my account there, never have the time to take it seriously. I have all of 2 fans, Q and someone who works for us and teaches me never tried things on my Mac.

Have to admit I plugged my own article on facebook already, so I guess I’m already in the spirit -- as much as I loath the networking thing on HP, if done right, it’s not a bad thing.

11. KQuark says:

Excellent work Nellie, much applause.