AdLib On November - 6 - 2009

moviesPutting the day’s frustration behind me, I am kicking off a Friday night trivia game thread which I hope you’ll all feel free to join in and give both questions and answers. Here’s the rule I’ve come up with after consulting with many of our greatest minds in internet guessing games.

Whoever is first to posts a comment with the correct answer, wins.

At the end of the night we’ll add up who has gotten the most answers correct and they will receive a brand…new…damaged hard drive actually used by PlanetPOV!!! And a Fun Size Snickers!

And please, this is just for fun, no wagering please.

Okay, this is movie dialog from three different movies, guess the actor who said all three sets of dialog:

1. “All right, Curly. Enough’s enough. You can’t eat the Venetian blinds. I just had them installed on Wednesday.
2. “I hate this detail. I hate this fucking chickenshit detail!”
3. “You’re not an idiot. Huh! You’re not a goddamn looney now, boy. You’re a fisherman!”

Good Luck!

Categories: Featured, Film, Games

1. KQuark says:

Pepe I have a great one for you. What real life batshit crazy real life American General did Stanley Kubrick model the crazy General Ripper from Dr. Strangelove on?

• PepeLepew says:

Patton?

• KQuark says:

Nope General Curtis Lemay who came up with the tactic of firebombing Japanese cities during WWII because their dwellings were mostly wood and paper. These bombings actually killed more civilians than the atomic bombs. He was head of SAC and NORAD and use to have bombers fly missions deliberately over Soviet air space to entice them to start nuclear war. To top off his career he was George Wallace’s, the white separatists, running mate.

Actually all things considered he was much more dangerous than Dick Cheney. Dick Chaney was a phony liberal compared to Lemay.

Okay, who did this child actor in “Treasure of the Sierra Madre” grow up to be?

“>

3. PatsyT says:

Name the composer of these famous retro TV musical themes
    Green Acres
    Petticoat Junction
    Adams Family

hint

* he recently passed away

4. PepeLepew says:

OT, but the House just announced that the “impasse” with conservative Dems over abortion coverage in health care reform has been broken and a vote is expected Saturday. It does mean there will probably be abortion restrictions inserted in the reform language Saturday.

5. PepeLepew says:

Who’s the actor who kept calling the Peter Sellers character in Dr. Strangelove a “Prevert”?

6. KQuark says:

OK who is this actor who started as a child actor in Disney movies?

“>

7. KQuark says:

What movie and what character is this quote from?

“Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here! This is the War Room!”

AdLib you are ineligible on this question.

I’d love to join in but haven’t had the pleasure of seeing many of your old tv programs in either Germany or the U.K. so I’ll be a little wallflower spectator in the corner or I’ll finish my house cleaning.

Have fun!

• KQuark says:

I’m a total and complete anglophile when it comes to TV an Radio old and knew.

The most brilliant thing I ever listened to was BBC Radio’s “Old Harry’s Game” about Hell and Satan. Andy Hamilton is just beyond brilliant.

He also did a radio series called “Revolting People” which was a parody of the American Revolution.

Hey, hold on there Kitty Cat! It’s trivia challenges on anything.

In fact, I have one for you. Where did the word “trivia” come from?

From Latin I think but don’t ask me the Latin word, I learned Latin from the nuns in my first school years until I was 9. Could say the whole Mass in Latin since I was 6 years old and then they changed it.

It could be modern day Latin, I don’t have time to check.

Excellent! Take the word apart and you have two very easy to decode Latin words: tri via.

Three roads.

In the Roman days when one could be imprisoned or killed for saying things they “shouldn’t”, people would gather outside of town at the crossroads to gossip, complain about the government and otherwise speak freely about all types of things.

Thus, trivia was born.

Adlib Trivia Question #2:

What loveable 1960’s tv series star played an evil, conniving ego-mad rags-to-riches radio and tv celebrity in a dark 1950’s movie.

Hint: His character’s name is the nickname Keith Olbermann uses for Glenn Beck.

• PatsyT says:

Lonesome Roads?

• escribacat says:

“A Face in the Crowd.”
        Andy Griffith.

• nellie says:

That’s a great movie.

A winner! Andy “Lonesome Rhodes” Griffith!

• escribacat says:

I have to boast that I posted the resemblance between Beck and Rhodes twice on HP before Keith started using it. I’ve been telling myself that he stole it from me!!! hehe.

• FeloniousMonk says:

IF you want to see a great comedy movie with Andy Griffith in it, try Rustler’s Rhapsody, where he plays the “evil” cattle baron trying to drive the good sheep herders out. Now what is hilarious about the part that Griffith plays is he is effeminate as all get out, great speeches and all. At one point he tells his men to throw another (bunch) of firewood on the fire, and they all look around and have a worried look on their face. (bunch is a unit of wood measure which is also used in derogatory manner regarding gays) It is really funny. Tom Berringer plays the good guy. Simple hilarious.

• escribacat says:

One of my favorite buddy flicks is Tom Berringer and Sidney Poitier in Shoot to Kill.

• KQuark says:

I loved Tom Berringer in Platoon. Wow talk about an amazing performance and an amazing movie.

• escribacat says:

Sounds excellent. I love Tom Berringer too.

• PatsyT says:

Well, where do they get all that material ?

10. KQuark says:

Who said this quote in a very popular 80’s TV series? “It’s a dog eat dog world and I’m wearing Milkbone underwear.”

11. KQuark says:

I won’t give an answer because I had to cheat and Google the line but I should have known from the 2nd quote.