KQµårk 死神 On November - 6 - 2009

HuffNo Friday 03

One of the scientific discoveries that change our perception of reality the most in the twentieth century was quantum mechanics. Einstein’s theory of special relativity was the first theory of science that was not intuitive but it was still a theory based on deterministic classical physics. When quantum theory was developed by Schrödinger and Heisenberg it was neither intuitive or classic physics. In classic physics it was theorized that if you had the right set of equations any physical phenomenon could be predicted to 100% certainty. The Heisenberg uncertainty principle in quantum physics says exactly the opposite by saying the two physical properties like the position and momentum of a particle cannot be know with certainty. Moreover the Heisenberg principle says at the quantum level just observing the quantum state affects that quantum state. Einstein never accepted quantum mechanics to his own detriment because by not accepting reality he was never able to come up with a unified theory of physics which was his life’s goal.

QuantumUniverseThe Heisenberg principle has implications in every day life when you think about social interactions. When different observers view the same event they come up with a different version of reality for themselves based on their past life experiences and personal physical and mental limitations. This is why most prosecutors would rather have direct DNA or other physical evidence in court rather than witness testimony. Because people view events differently based on their personal biases on a massive scale it can create an environment of mass denial within a group AKA the GOP.

Calabi-YauSince the advent of quantum mechanics and the development of new theories like M-Theory (the theory of everything) scientific thought has expanded into the realm of what we once thought was impossible. QFT (quantum field theory) for example predicts mater can be instantaneously created and destroyed just out of the fabric of space in a vacuum no less. A subset of M-Theory string theory predicts that there are 11 dimensions and the possibility of multiverses existing in the same space. Based on the these relatively new theories any and every physical event is possible but we have to recognize that some things may be possible but the probabilities associated with it happening are so low like 1 in 101000 that they will never happen in the entire existence of our universe. However if something happens often enough and there is enough time it will occur. For example there would be no atoms or molecules if the very very improbable did not happen. In molecules p-orbitals are binodal meaning the pair of electrons occupy an orbital that is two lobes, but in actuality these orbitals are “attached” by a very low quantum possibility bridge. Because the space is so small in p-orbitals and elections move so fast they pass through this highly improbable bridge so frequently that the binodal orbitals are always filled in a molecule.

M-Theory relies on String Theory and they are closed stings that are free to roam and open strings that are “attached” to branes (folds that we perceive as our physical world). One unique way M-Theory deals with gravity unlike any theory is that it predicts the force of gravity to be a closed vibrating string that can pass within multiple dimensions where some dimensions act on the physical universe in a classic sense and some dimensions are beyond our interaction with the universe. This is why the force of gravity is perceived to be so low in our existence, while other forces like electromagnetism, the strong nuclear force and the weak nuclear force that have been unified by other theories are open strings that are attached to what we perceive as the physical world attributing to their relative strong field strength compared to gravity.

feynman1

“I can live with doubt, and uncertainty, and not knowing. I think it’s much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and in many things I don’t know anything about, such as whether it means anything to ask why we’re here, and what the question might mean. I might think about a little, but if I can’t figure it out, then I go to something else. But I don’t have to know an answer. I don’t feel frightened by not knowing things, by being lost in a mysterious universe without having any purpose, which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn’t frighten me.” —The Pleasure of Finding Things Out: The Best Short Works of Richard P. Feynman (edited by Jeffrey Robbins), 1999

To me in M-Theory there is an implied spirituality to the universe because events occur within and without our everyday perception. Think about it, things like psychics feeling the remnants of past traumatic events or feeling the echoes of people who are no longer with us could actually be their quantum echo in a dimension we cannot fully perceive. I know this may sound far out for some but when you finally accept that in our universe everything is possible even spirituality can have a scientific basis.

THCNo I have not been smoking pot, not that there’s anything wrong with that, and yes let’s get onto tonight’s festivities. In honor of Les Paul’s passing this year I will post a few videos from some of my favorite electric guitarists of all time, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimmy Page and Tom Morello.

Written by KQµårk 死神

My PlanetPOV contact is kquark@planetpov.com Proud Dem whose favorite hobby is cat herding. The GOP is not a political party, it's a personality disorder. Cancer, Heart Failure and Bush Survivor.

1. BigDogMom says:

Kqark, sorry I missed last night, fell asleep on the couch, must have needed it…love your article…it is funny that have written something that I have been studying spiritually…Universal Law….’what you do with your conscious and energy, (attitude), that determines all the outcomes that you experience’…I could go on and on, nice to see someone else that sees the possiblities of this theory…

2. KQuark says:

Just to remind people the coolest utility site ever.

Well, it’s approaching 1 a.m., so I have to call it a day. And I never made it over to the trivia contest!

Ah well, maybe next time.

Good night, all.

4. KQuark says:

The most unique cover ever.

This is really a moment for reverence…

• KQuark says:

PYTHON!!!

The last stanza in Dennis Moore is the GOP anthem.

Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
      Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
      Riding through the land
      Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore
      Without a merry band
      He steals from the poor
      And gives to the rich
      Stupid bitch

Skip to the middle.

6. escribacat says:

KQuark — Have you ever seen the movie, “What the Bleep Do We know?”

• KQuark says:

Nope it sounds like I should check it out though. Did you ever see the movie “Pi”?

• PepeLepew says:

I have seen Pi.
        Very weird movie.
        Was that made by the same guy who made “The Wrestler?”

• escribacat says:

Haven’t seen “Pi” but I think I’ve been told I should see it.

“What the Bleep” is a documentary about quantum physics but it’s not quite like any documentary you’ve ever seen. I’ve seen it many times because it has so many interesting ideas and people in it. They interview a lot of scientists and physicists, plus eastern philosophers and a cult leader named Ramtha, who is quite a character. I have no idea whether the science is accurate (no background). I’d be interested in hearing the reaction of someone who understands quantum physics.

• KQuark says:

Wow I would love to see it. I really thought I’ve seen about every documentary on theoretical physics and astrophysics for that matter but I guess I missed this one. Cheers for giving me the heads up. You have probably seen “Elegant Universe” with Brian Greene who is one of the best pop science physicist but if you haven’t it’s probably still on the PBS website.

• escribacat says:

They make some pretty outrageous claims and have built a cult around it … just to warn you. But, it’s really fascinating. I do recommend it (I bought it). It’s also highly entertaining with a story line to hold it together. Here’s their website:

I don’t think I’ve seen Elegant Universe…maybe some episodes on PBS if its’ been around awhile.

• KQuark says:

That’s OK with me. I’m open to anything but always have a critical eye. It’s like the “documentary” “Zeitgeist” It has some interesting concepts and information but the conclusions they draw for the most part are wacky.

7. nellie says:

I’m a big fan of Brazilian music. CeU has done some really good stuff.

P.S. How do I embed?

I’m out, at least for now. One of the few TV shows I leave the computer for (and you guys) is on. 😉

About a year ago I went to a lecture given by a little Dominican nun--about 24 years old, five feet tall, maybe a hundred pounds. She’s a physicist working on the CERN project (sadly kinda derailed at the moment) in Europe--aptly named the “search for the God Particle.” (This is the one with the gigantic, circular underground super-collider.) She was amazingly brilliant. She grew up in Poland, the daughter/granddaughter of a sort of family dynasty of women-scientists. So it never occurred to her that women couldn’t do math/science. It was as natural as breathing to her.
    She saw no contradiction at all between her life as a Catholic nun searching for God and her work as a scientist. Quite the opposite; they complemented each other. She talked about the Big Bang and said that while this tells us a great deal about the development of the universe, we still know next to nothing about the origins of it. The implication being that an enormous creative intelligence might have been involved. A force, though, which did not have a long white beard, a preference for blood sacrifice, or any inclination the speak directly with Michele Bachmann. (OK, that last sentence was mine, not the nun’s.)

Okay, now the music. This is not for the faint-of-heart. This is called “Orphan’s Lament,” and is an example of Mongolian “throat singing.” Possibly an acquired taste, but I find this very moving.

• nellie says:

There’s a series I watched call the Atheism Tapes (it was on instant play at Netflix) that talked mostly about why people didn’t believe in God. But there was one episode with a minister who said of science, it answers how things are, but not why things are. Why is there anything at all? was his big question.

It was fascinating.

• escribacat says:

That sounds interesting.

Netflix has some amazing stuff, no?

I think science totally compatible with adult level theology; it’s the simplistic (maybe simple-minded) warped notions that run off into the ditch. They’re misinterpretations of both theological and scientific ideas.

But then, them thar ideas is goldurn dangerous things to some folk.

• KQuark says:

Yup the search for the Higgs Boson. I’ve been keeping up with the LHC project very closely. It’s a shame the problems they are having and how some conservative groups are trying to make some hay out of it.

The fundamentalists are the only Christians are the only group of Christians that have the biggest problem with science now because they believe in the literal interpretation of the Bible. Even growing up Roman Catholic our priest never literally interpreted the Bible. It’s insane to live you modern existence based on the literal interpretation of a 2000 year old document.

Exactly. Having grown up Roman Catholic as well, I can say that evolution was never regarded as a “taboo” notion and the Bible was not taken literally. (Never figured out how you could do that and reconcile the contradictions of the old and new testaments anyway!)

Never heard about Big Thunder in Mongolia. I’ll have to check that one out! My son suggested the Orphan’s Lament, although I knew about throat singing before. That one is really poignant, though.

Another RC here and even my strict RC grandparents didn’t keep a Bible in the house. We didn’t read from the Bible at all, just attended Mass on Sundays, said our prayers at night, my grandparents prayed the Rosary when they were troubled but that’s about it.

People chuckle about the rosary, but a lot of religious traditions have prayer beads. And when you’re totally spazzing out, there’s something calming about clutching your beads and saying the same thing over and over! ;o)

• KQuark says:

Kewl. I saw a documentary on Mongolian throat singing. Actually one of the big stars over there is an American Samoan they call something like ‘Big Thunder’ because his throat singing just rattles your whole body.

I found about this guy on a happy accident. If ever you wanted to know what a gay Roma singing in Bulgarian sounded like…

11. escribacat says:

I am getting a very slow response time and some script errors. Google Chrome and Firefox each exhibiting different problems. Just me?

12. KQuark says:

Now this is the kind of techno I love. You guessed it “The Chemical Brothers”.

13. KQuark says:

BTW the first picture is a representation of the crazy world at the quantum level and the second picture is a Calabi-Yau representation of multiple curled up dimensions, kind of like drawing the picture of a cube on paper to represent three dimensions.