KevenSeven On November - 2 - 2009

HuffNo Friday 01

We had a reasonable, to my eyes, HuffNo Friday in our first outing.

But I was hoping for a stronger buy-in.

What all do you think?   What can we do to draw more Huffers here to conduct a weekly boycott of Huff?

This is a major interest of mine.   How can you help?

Categories: Huffington Post

1. KevenSeven says:

So, I’ve seen a few ideas on how to promote HuffNo Friday, but nothing earth shattering.

I’ll continue spreading the word (which is how most of you are here), and I hope that the rest of you do what you can to advance the cause.

The fantasy? That there be a hollow sound at Huff on Fridays as the woo woos and the trolls shout at each other.

Your feedback requested:

Some members requested that we reduce the font a little so more can be read without as much scrolling.

How does this size font work for everyone

3. SeeknDestroy says:

I suggest Huffno anyday…
    Any day that ends with a y….
    Huff?…NO!
    Back evil doer, back!
    Seriously, this place rocks…
    And I haven’t even cursed yet…..
    ~Hold his finger to his chin….contemplating~

• javaz says:

I agree!
      This is the first site I check after checking my email.
      Glad you’re here to join in the freedom of posting without scrubbing or pending.

4. KQuark says:

I’ve put the PlanetPOV link and email address in my profile. I’m just asked huffy users I know to look at my profile so it goes around the limitations of what you can put in a post.

• SeeknDestroy says:

Excellent, KQuark..

• javaz says:

What a great idea!
      I’ll add it to my HP profile, but I seriously doubt anyone will look because I wasn’t a popular contributor there.
      Just a person that was ignored half the time!
      But it’s worth a try!
      Thanks for the suggestion!

• escribacat says:

I guess it’s a matter of perception, javaz. Mine was that you were one of the insiders or cool people or in crowd or whatever the strata are called there.

5. BigDogMom says:

Gotta run, have crazy dogs that need to go for a run, one is trying to sit on my lap as I type, so I know it’s time…take care everyone and I’ll talk to you later

• FeloniousMonk says:

@BDM Taking the dogs for a run? Well, that’s what you get for those leggy creatures you have. My corgis can run too but in general appreciate a nice walk, even if they are a bit rowdy at times. I have a Pem and a Cardi. The issue with corgis is that they can keep on going far longer than a person would think those short legs would want to.

• BigDogMom says:

And I love Corgis, my girlfriend has two, my goldens are scared to death of them…they are just big dogs in little packages…their coats are just beautiful

• FeloniousMonk says:

My pembroke Cooper is a big guy and he’s a tri-color. The cardigan (Chelsea) is a black and white. She’s only 2/3 his weight but she rules the roost, even though he can give as well as he gets. A couple of years ago I had the pem up in Seattle and had to leave it with a friend for a weekend. She’s a cat person. Big cats. Multiple 25+ pounders. Cooper decided his best bet was to be quiet and keep his back in the corner.

Both of them are rescues but I have the papers on the pembroke. They replaced a Corgi mix we had for a dozen years who ws also a rescue. She was the dog of my life.

• BigDogMom says:

Love every dog I ever had and have, they all have such unique personalities…You should see the holidays here at my house we have eight dogs in our imediate family..there have been many a year that the tree gets toppled…but it’s all good.

• FeloniousMonk says:

@BDM When I could afford them I collected expensive Christmas decorations, so toppling Christmas trees is not a good image.

I remember in my college dorm the Resident assistant had a golden and it ran the halls. Heaven forbid anything got in the road of that swishing tail!

• BigDogMom says:

I too used to a lot of have nice decorations…the tails of goldens can knock an ornament off in seconds…you have to be quick with big dogs!

• BigDogMom says:

Just got back, we have a lovely old farm by our public beach, just down the street from me that was given to the town just for this by the family of the owner…I have two long legged Goldens..the avitar that I use over at Hufflenufflelufflepoop, is the older one, Rudder, doesn’t run too much now, he’s 11. Then there is Win, Jake’s Winston Churchhill of Kiawa Farms is his full name, 15 mos old, and full of puppy energy..both are Field Trial Goldens, bred for hunting and field competition…my boys

• escribacat says:

What’s this, a chance to brag about how wonderful and beautiful and silly my greyhounds are?

• PepeLepew says:

You own greyhounds?
            My best friend has Italian greyhounds. I normally don’t like small dogs, but they are very cute and sweet dogs.

• escribacat says:

They are very cute. They’re a lot more delicate than regular greyhounds.

• FeloniousMonk says:

Being in a racing state, I’m more aware of the plight of greyhounds than many. Thankfully we haven’t heard as many horror stories as we used to about slaughterings, but I’m afraid it probably still goes on.

The only problem with a greyhound would be that it would compete with my couch potato wife for the sofa.

• escribacat says:

I’m afraid my greys own the sofa. Yes, AZ has a terrible reputation. Colorado’s own tracks shut down early last season and have not reopened so we now bring ’em in from places like Oklahoma.

• BigDogMom says:

Yeh, I heard that once exercised they are just mush at home…the one at the park is a little skiddish with people, dogs he’s fine with.

• escribacat says:

They are called 40 mile an hour couch potatoes.

• BigDogMom says:

Talk about runners, there’s one at the park we go to, does three laps around the field, to the owners one…where they rescues?

• escribacat says:

Yes. I’m a “failed foster” which means I end up adopting most of the greys I foster. But I only have two! They are sweetest, farting-est pups.

• javaz says:

Aw, Golden Retrievers are such sweet pups.
          I love dogs, except for vicious pit bulls.

• BigDogMom says:

Pits are actually big babies if you train them right…it’s the owner, not the dog…

• javaz says:

Pit bulls can be sweet, I agree, but they are quite vicious to small dogs.
              Just last Friday afternoon, a pit bull charged our beloved little cock-a-poo and I’m still upset.
              He had our dog’s head in his mouth and shook him like a rag doll.
              It was brutal, horrifying, and traumatic.
              My husband’s hands are cut up and his arms bruised, my shoulder hurts and have bruises on my arms and legs, but thank Dog in heaven, we got the pit bull to drop our baby and besides multiple stitches, and sore hips and neck, he should be okay.
              The owner came out and yelled at us for hurting his pit bull, completely ignoring the blood on us and our dog.
              I’m still shaking over it and we did report it to animal control.
              Worst nightmare come true.

• escribacat says:

That’s a terrible story, javaz. I hope your pup is okay. I’ve heard it too many times. There was a similar case in my town where the owner of the dog being attacked stabbed and killed the attacking dog. The police determined he was justified in his actions.

• javaz says:

I love talking with you BDM, but I must force myself to log off to spend some time with my husband and our pooch.
              Hope to see you tomorrow!
              Have a wonderful night and sweet dreams.

• BigDogMom says:

Hey, you did what you had to do, I’ve been known to kick a couple of dogs off mine…as long as your dog and you are alright…Here in CT, this dog would have been hauled off and the owner prosecuted…

• javaz says:

We never walk our dog without a leash because we are afraid he’d run off chasing rabbits or birds.
              There are leash laws here, and this guy owns 2 pit bulls and is new to the area and has 2 small children.
              He denied at first it was his dog, until he saw the blood.
              I don’t want to say how we got him to let go, but we did what we had to do and I feel no remorse for that pit bull. We could not allow that dog to kill our dog.
              It is the owner’s fault for not securing his dog, and several neighbors witnessed the attack.
              We’re afraid to go on our daily walk now, but we did it, and just walked up another street for home.
              We’re all traumatized, but we’ll be all right.
              I’m trying hard not to think about it.

• BigDogMom says:

I’ve seen a couple of pits at the dog park latch on like that..one time it took three men to pull it off, and the dog that was attacked was a big black lab…Hope you, your husband and I know he/she is your baby are alright..it’s the damn owner’f fault, with proper training and socialization this would never had happened…hope they go after the owner…

• javaz says:

Okay, and sing your little Big Dog Mom song with pride!

6. PatsyT says:

How about creating a mysterious sock and letting
    HP posters know that you will reveal the identity here on Friday?
    I have one and no one has figured it out. Ha!
    Congrats to the Founders of the Planet, you are on to a good thing!

7. Grabamop/Obama20082012 says:

I keep on dropping hints about Planet/POV without out getting busted. I know there was some kind of blow up at HP yesterday and several posters bailed. I have a feeling after the elections tomorrow it will be an abusive trollfest over there. And their nasty comments never seem to disappear.

8. nicole473 says:

You have to have more to draw them (more new posts, perhaps), IMO, and we need to drop more links, perhaps throughout the week, on HuffPost itself.

We could also all add the link to our profiles.

• FeloniousMonk says:

I tried a new sock today and had it pulled immediately,

BachmannTurnHerOverDrive -- with a picture of Michele.

I guess they’re not into political humor over there any more.

But Sarah is still “alive” as is DevastationManor. I’m taking a hiatus but just wanted something in my “back pocket” there.

• javaz says:

Or maybe find a heated, controversial article for Friday and then let the posts fly and when the silliness sets in, it’s PARTY Time!

9. javaz says:

I’m on dial up and we do not have satellite or cable, so when people post youtube videos, I cannot click on them. :(
    My connection is too slow!
    But I don’t mind the youtube videos, as long as members name the band and the song and then I can sing along in my head, which my husband and dog appreciate and if you heard me sing, you’d understand!

I am hoping that we can utilize the POV Chat, as I think it is a live chat similar to instant messaging!
    Wouldn’t that be fun to chat and tell jokes or discuss the latest news of the week?

I am looking forward to Friday!!!
    Be there, or be square!
    (ut oh, showing my age!)